Author Topic: Has anyone managed to "Quit" ?  (Read 11925 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Has anyone managed to "Quit" ?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:29:04 »
All carbonated beverages are cokes here. You have to specify which type of coke you would like.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:07:30 »
I quit drinking pop at least 2 years ago

Another citizen who knows the correct way to identify that fizzy drink.

+1 to that, been calling it pop my entire life.

Go ahead, make your smug little comments. The fact is, it's a big subject, bigger than you'd ever imagine—otherwise I don't think you could possibly be so cavalier about it.

Behold (click to zoom):

Show Image

It's Other that's the killer. For example, in many parts of the U.S., all soft drinks are referred to as "Coke", or even "Pepsi". (You ask for a "Coke" [or "Pepsi"] and the server says, "What kind?" Then you say "Dr. Pepper" or "Mountain Dew" or whatever. To order your drink by name, right away, would seem odd or pushy. I've actually been through these places and heard such exchanges.)

And that's just the U.S. If you think you have the courage, take a look at this list of soft-drink names by country. As you'll see, deciding what to call this stuff is a worldwide paradox.

I'm glad I had a chance to raise your consciousness a bit on this complex, globe-spanning topic. I trust your lives will never be the same, drink-name-wise. Mine won't.

That's really interesting... It took me some time to get used everyone here calling all soft drinks "limonadi" since it's derived from the English "lemonade", but Coke is.... well, it's Coca-Cola.

Maybe we should all just call them soft drinks?

To clarify my earlier post, I really meant I quit the soft drink by the name of Coca-Cola. What made it easier was also that it doesn't taste as good here as it did in South Africa, which was discussed previously in another thread.

Haha was about to comment on this but you beat me to it :) have tried to quit coke (coca-cola) many times but South African coke is just so damn good. I just try and ration myself now.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:26:47 »
All carbonated beverages are cokes here. You have to specify which type of coke you would like.

You are a confused man, jd.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:51:27 »

This is how it should be. Soda is an ingredient. Pop is what you do when you drink too many. Coke is the drink, and there are many kinds. Hoff needs to visit the south.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:55:41 »

This is how it should be. Soda is an ingredient. Pop is what you do when you drink too many. Coke is the drink, and there are many kinds. Hoff needs to visit the south.

What about Purple drink...   

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:59:45 »
It's soda
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:02:24 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:06:56 »
It's soda
Soda is sodium bicarbonate

Well then since coke is a soda, coke is sodium bicarbonate too.

Noooooo, they got you too!!  :-X

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:09:23 »
Coke is the brand. Cola is the generic term. Although nobody calls it cola.

We just say fizzy drinks...

I quit smoking last year, feels alright I guess, but I do occasionally think about going back. Then I think about the money and change my mind.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:26:02 »

I quit smoking last year, feels alright I guess, but I do occasionally think about going back. Then I think about the money and change my mind.
Let me hand you a kleenex, after I go xerox these documents.

in memoriam

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:29:38 »

The first time I heard the word Xerox, was in the film Matilda. I've never heard it used in a sentence again until now.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:30:33 »

Right after I grab a drink from the bubbler.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:32:05 »

The longer you go since quitting smoking, the easier it gets. Then one day years from now you'll find yourself in a gas station line, watching the person in front of you spend a small fortune on a carton, and think to yourself, "what would ever possess someone to--oh wait, I used to do that."

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:34:09 »

Right after I grab a drink from the bubbler.
It's on the second floor next to the loo. Take the lift.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:34:34 »

The first time I heard the word Xerox, was in the film Matilda. I've never heard it used in a sentence again until now.

In grade school we had a trivia test and I was the only one who knew all the answers. The last question was the only one I hesitated on. I muttered, "Xerox" under my breath. The "smart kid" in class heard me, raised her hand and said the answer. She got it right, ending my winning streak.

Here at my firm tons of folks say "Xerox" all the time when they want something copied.