Author Topic: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)  (Read 40336 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:03:07 »
Whew!  Okay, now that I've arrived in Orlando, am resting a bit at heedpantsnow's place and have had time to process, I can share the happenings from this morning.

As you may have read in the itinerary, I grabbed breakfast with rainb1ood in Ft. Myers before heading up to Tampa.  We did the usual breakfast things - shared geekhack history, nerded out over artisans (and subsequently freaked out the waitress :)) ), the whole deal.  It was really fun, and I'm glad I was able to meet rainb1ood despite the brevity.

But then as I'm packing my stuff back in the car, he hands me one of his Clacks and insists I take it as a parting gift.  :O  I was floored.  I tried to refuse, but of course that was no use.  I honestly wasn't even sure what to do or how to react... but thank you rainb1ood, it means a lot.  :)  I'm a huge artisan cap fan, but it's caps like this that come with stories that mean the most to me.  So thank you for that.  I will find some way to repay you, someday. 

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: Hoffman Drives to Florida; or, Let's Meetup From WI to FL! (SCHEDULE POSTED)
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:25:00 »
Hoff and his charms!

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #202 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:30:33 »
Whew!  Okay, now that I've arrived in Orlando, am resting a bit at heedpantsnow's place and have had time to process, I can share the happenings from this morning.

As you may have read in the itinerary, I grabbed breakfast with rainb1ood in Ft. Myers before heading up to Tampa.  We did the usual breakfast things - shared geekhack history, nerded out over artisans (and subsequently freaked out the waitress :)) ), the whole deal.  It was really fun, and I'm glad I was able to meet rainb1ood despite the brevity.

But then as I'm packing my stuff back in the car, he hands me one of his Clacks and insists I take it as a parting gift.  :O  I was floored.  I tried to refuse, but of course that was no use.  I honestly wasn't even sure what to do or how to react... but thank you rainb1ood, it means a lot.  :)  I'm a huge artisan cap fan, but it's caps like this that come with stories that mean the most to me.  So thank you for that.  I will find some way to repay you, someday. 

Great to finally meet fellow GH member in real life! That waitress did come back with few questions lol. And also you're welcome, been meaning to give something to a first Geekhacker I meet :P

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #203 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:36:31 »

Great to finally meet fellow GH member in real life! That waitress did come back with few questions lol. And also you're welcome, been meaning to give something to a first Geekhacker I meet :P

Such a gentleman!
I met with hoff and only gave him oral sex!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:48:39 »

Such a gentleman!
I met with hoff and only gave him oral sex!

Damn Halverson, step your game up, rainb1ood is showing you up. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #206 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:24:09 »
I think Hoff should inspire us to do some sort of road tour across the US.  Start at one point and then 'hand off' to someone else in the area who continues the tour, etc, meeting as many people as they can along the way.  It would be great way to see this awesome country of ours and also meet the awesome people that make up the keyboarding community.  :thumb:

And then once we get the continental US version down, we work on the International Tour.  :eek:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #207 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:38:03 »
Hoffman I wasn't crazy check this! :))

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71745.msg1741588#msg1741588

Oh snap!  I do remember that.  :-[  I did end up buying an F AT from someone, but it was right in the middle of my big move so I don't remember.  I didn't end up buying yours, did i?  I'm so confused, haha.  :(

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:10:39 »
Keyboards and boba tea.
I would recognize those fingers anywhere.

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:09:01 »

Oh snap!  I do remember that.  :-[  I did end up buying an F AT from someone, but it was right in the middle of my big move so I don't remember.  I didn't end up buying yours, did i?  I'm so confused, haha.  :(
It was definitely me. I sent it to you.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:24:10 »

It was definitely me. I sent it to you.

Oooohhhh now this is coming together. I really was misunderstanding, haha. I thought I heard you say there was a review I should have written? Or that I said I would buy but did not.    Sorry about that, haha. I blame the tiredness. 

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:39:09 »
Grilling in Orlando with heedpantsnow, ccarlitos and smarmar!

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 13:27:15 »
I think Hoff should inspire us to do some sort of road tour across the US.  Start at one point and then 'hand off' to someone else in the area who continues the tour, etc, meeting as many people as they can along the way.  It would be great way to see this awesome country of ours and also meet the awesome people that make up the keyboarding community.  :thumb:

And then once we get the continental US version down, we work on the International Tour.  :eek:

This sounds like an awesome idea. What if like we started maybe from Miami and went across America and ended somewhere in Washington, but at every stop people sign something. Sort of like The Olympic torch , but for geekhack.  :thumb:

What would be even cooler if a keyboard manufacturer gave us one and at each pit stop we sign the back of it. CM you're our only hope. :p

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 13:57:14 »
Keyboards and boba tea.

Such nice fingersies

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 14:10:08 »
Got most of my stuff packed up to bring, just need the address
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 15:02:58 »
Nerding out

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 15:18:34 »
Nerding out

Looks like a lot of fun, wish I could join in on a get together rather than sitting at my home bored as can be. Is that Filco w/Penumbra yours Hoff?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 15:27:11 »
Nerding out

Looks like a lot of fun, wish I could join in on a get together rather than sitting at my home bored as can be. Is that Filco w/Penumbra yours Hoff?

Nope, that's Vesper's. I only brought the HHKB and the Flux Keypacitor.  :P

Offline ccarlitos2

HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 15:35:11 »
Nerding out

Nope, that's Vesper's. I only brought the HHKB and the Flux Keypacitor.  :P

Well very nice board Vesper and I'm loving the HHKB Hoff, it almost makes want to buy one. :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:48:52 »
danielucf showed up!

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:51:24 »
Nice shirt!

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:05:10 »
I had a lot of fun meeting everyone today! I can't wait for tomorrow  :p :p Out on the town tomorrow is gonna be a lot of fun. After seeing everyone's collections I need to step my game up haha

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:18:30 »
I had a lot of fun meeting everyone today! I can't wait for tomorrow  :p :p Out on the town tomorrow is gonna be a lot of fun. After seeing everyone's collections I need to step my game up haha

We're gonna see you and smarmar at Artisans Anonymous, aren't we?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:24:18 »
Had a great time meeting all of you. Looking forward to whatever I'm able to make it for tomorrow. Perhaps we'll eat gators.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:24:57 »
Also, cannot thank heedpantsnow enough for not only opening his home to crazy old me for three nights, but also these other jokers that came over today. Thank you thank you thank you!  :-*

I hope we weren't too much of a burden on you and your family!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:49:38 »
This sounds like an awesome idea. What if like we started maybe from Miami and went across America and ended somewhere in Washington, but at every stop people sign something. Sort of like The Olympic torch , but for geekhack.  :thumb:

What would be even cooler if a keyboard manufacturer gave us one and at each pit stop we sign the back of it. CM you're our only hope. :p
The Keyboard Olympics--I love it!  I think we should work on getting a donor board from some company and then we do the signing thing Miami to Seattle, and then auction it off for charity/fundraising.  And not open to just GH, but all the keyboarding communities.  And if Cherry Germany gives us a board there, we do the same thing across Eurasia.  :cool:

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:00:29 »

We're gonna see you and smarmar at Artisans Anonymous, aren't we?

Yeah isn't that what we are doing tomorrow?

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:52:22 »

You need to step up your game?? What about me? All you guys left me in the dust with all of your fancy topres and caps and custom fabs and whatnots.  ^-^
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #230 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:11:00 »
Thanks, Hoffman, for putting in the planning and effort to make this meetup possible.
Thanks, HPN, for letting us invade your space.
Thanks, Danielucf, for the fine brew.
And thanks to everyone there for pulling me further into this clicky keyboard well-of-souls! My desk and wallet will never be the same...
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #231 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:22:27 »

You need to step up your game?? What about me? All you guys left me in the dust with all of your fancy topres and caps and custom fabs and whatnots.  ^-^

We all respect your restraint, sir!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:30:46 »
It was fun guys! Be safe driving Hoff and Vesp!

It was most definitely fun, albeit slightly hectic :))

I'm so very happy that I was able to meet you, LXXXIX!!! Hopefully we can see each other again soon :3

I realized that you and I have more interests than I thought!!!

I LOVE XENOGEARS! I actually own the PS1 game and it's in brand new condition along with the original strategy guide :P

Tampa = everything Vesper - confirmed

HAHAHA ~ I love you too, breh <3

I was there too. :(

You most definitely were ~ I'm so glad you were ~

Such nice fingersies

HAHAHA ~ baby **** fangerz yo <3

Well very nice board Vesper

Thank you, good sir ~

In the case you're interested ~ Planning to make a new video of it soon too ~

danielucf showed up!

HAHAHAAHAHA!!! This picture is absolutely hilarious!

It's like I'm not happy with what Daniel is saying and Heed is like, "BE NICE, VESPA!"

I think both of you had awesome keyboards! I loved them! I was able to try new things thanks to you guys <3

I want to thank everyone that I met in Tampa and Orlando yesterday and today <3

LXXXIX ~ Thank you for coming out! I'm also fairly new to Tampa so I had absolutely no clue what was on that side of Tampa ~ was glad to have a Tampa comrade to keep Hoff company :P Hopefully we can chill more sometime! I wanna try that Novatouch sometime ~~~ Also, I just saw that you and I have a few other common interests, so it will be cool to discuss that stuff in the future too :3

ccarlitos2 ~ I'm so glad to have met you!!! You have always been so nice to me regarding my photos and posts, and you were even nicer in person!!! I'm so very glad you enjoyed my Filco and HHKB! :P Hopefully you can find some stems too so you can mod whenever you're ready :P ALSO, those OREO BALLS, MANG. YOUR BALLS WERE SO GOOD, BRO. I'm definitely going to have to make them myselffffff. Hnnnnnggggg <3

smarmar ~ It was so awesome to have met you! You were unique compared to the other members in that I met you first in person even before meeting on GH (I think!). Hehe ~ Also, thanks to you, I was able to finally satiate my curiosity I had for the Dell Quiet Key, which I had so many times in the past was tempted to buy just to see what it felt like!!! Seriously, I don't know how many times in the past I had added that thing to my cart on ebay, and backed out. So glad to know what it actually feels like now. It really was pretty nice!

danielucf ~ I was so very happy to have finally met you after all these years!!! To finally put a face to the online communications I've had with you in the past was awesome. Thank you so very much for the awesome collection you brought to the meet today. So many nice customs and caps! Not to mention the awesome brew you brought! Thanks to you I was able to try many of the high-end boards that I haven't had the opportunity to try like the Hammer and Octagon! Dat TITANIUM SPACEBAR DOE :P

heedspantsnow ~ Dood. Bro. Sir. You are the man. I can't thank you and your family enough for having me in your wonderful home!!! The grilled sausages and that espresso were absolutely delicious too ~ <3 Thanks to you, I was able to meet up with so many amazing people in a relaxed and comfortable environment. It makes such a huge difference compared to meeting in a public area! I'm also so glad I came because the Model F is something I've wanted to try for so looooooooooooooooooong, and now I've finally tried it!!! It's definitely something that's different enough from my SSK in terms of feel that I may consider wanting to buy sometime in the future when expendable cash is available. Feeels so great to know how it feels tho!!!  Being able to actually feel and hear the switches in person is such an amazing experience, and being able to do it without having to drop considerable amounts of cash made it even better :)) :)) :)) Also, thank you for showing me your carbon fiber case! It was so cool to see something so unique and well thought out. Definitely one of the coolest DIY projects I've seen on GH. Hopefully you'll do something like that again, but no pressure! Hehe ~ Thanks again so much for everything.

Hoffman ~ I know we've been friends online for a long time now and I've seen your face so many times online but it was amazing to have seen you in person!!! Not to mention your height, mang. LOLOL!!! That moment when we unexpectedly ran into each other looking for Andy was hilarious :)) :)) :)) I know the tall-thing is getting old but man... I knew you were tall but seeing you in person was an experience in itself <3 I also wanna thank you because it's thanks to your trip that we were all able to get together like this ~ DAT MAGICAL HOFFMAN MOD POWER YO. Bringing us GH'ers together <3 I know I was able to see you for many hours on Saturday and Sunday but it still feeels like it wasn't enough!!! :( :( :( Maybe I need to take a trip to Wisconsin sometime and just chill with you :)) You still have a long ways to go for this trip tho, so I'm looking forward to your posts and seeing you meet up with others on your way up! You're awesome, mang <3 DAT HUG DOE <3<3<3

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:32:23 »
I enjoy just reading all of your experiences and impression of the meet!! so awesome!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 05:53:43 »
I feel so much love with this meetup, more than just keyboard

One day... one day I'll visit the States and meet you guys.... one day...
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 07:26:46 »
It was good meeting you too Vesp! I wish I would've came out to the Orlando one too, but sadly I had to work. :(

Maybe now that we established a decent user base in Florida we should hold another meetup like in the summer or something.

I'm also happy you came out Hoff and really set this in motion to meet with all of us on your way back and get some time in with all of us. Thank you for making this all happen.

On a side note, maybe 2016 will be first ever Keyboard Olympic Tour. :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:33:35 »
This is the fanciest coffee I've ever had. 

I'm liking Vespr already.  :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:34:35 »

Lawd that looks good. What's the setup like?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:36:59 »

Behind the scenes sneak peek:

I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 09:41:13 »

Affogato! Yum!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 10:18:41 »
Well very nice board Vesper

Thank you, good sir ~

In the case you're interested ~ Planning to make a new video of it soon too ~

More

Nice vid, I love that set so much it took 8 months to finally get my hands on one but I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. :thumb:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 11:59:16 »

That looks delish!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 12:24:48 »
Lunch at Dandelion Cafe.  :)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 13:05:45 »
You just reminded me how hungry I am!

Offline smarmar

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:02:26 »
Nerding out

Hey it's me!!

Aw man, looks like I missed out on some good grub today! Stupid job and other adult-y junk...

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 15:14:21 »

Behind the scenes sneak peek:

Show Image

forget the coffee

I can't stop staring at that beard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:28:43 »
Climbing with ccarlitos

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:10:26 »
Climbing with ccarlitos

Never done it before, but would like to try. I've got a load of upper body strength, so I think I could do it.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 18:14:41 »
Been out-of-pocket a few days traveling myself and this thread has EXPLODED!!!!  :eek: Looks like an absolute blast.

Several Nashville folks are coordinating things in PM for your arrival on Wednesday. Right now it's looking like meeting up at my office (google map) and then carpooling over to the Flying Saucer. Things are still open, so if anyone has any other suggestions for drinks/dinner please speak up!  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:00:59 »
Been out-of-pocket a few days traveling myself and this thread has EXPLODED!!!!  :eek: Looks like an absolute blast.

Several Nashville folks are coordinating things in PM for your arrival on Wednesday. Right now it's looking like meeting up at my office (google map) and then carpooling over to the Flying Saucer. Things are still open, so if anyone has any other suggestions for drinks/dinner please speak up!  :thumb:

Oh wow! Thanks for coordinating, guys, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry I've done such a poor job of planning, especially for the Nashville leg of the trip.  :-[