Author Topic: Political Therapy  (Read 19135 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Political Therapy
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 03:18:40 »
Just wanted to add a couple things..

I believe strongly in personal land ownership, separation of church and state and a policing system that includes a small task force that has rights to investigate and charge ANYONE, up to and including the president. Also a law system that places judgment of case merits in the hands of judges so ridiculous claims get thrown out and commonsense has a chance to prevail.

In one sense an authoritarian state can do well, but only if the leader is "perfect". Since no leader is "perfect", the system cannot work in the way the idealists claim and hope for it to. Corruption and greed are quite often present in the highest levels of these types of governments. Just take a look at Zimbabwe, or many other African nations.

You mean working like Italy? Which operates it's laws and also has 'gods laws' which cannot change and that prevent Italy from allowing gay marriages etc?

Separation of church and state... as in the churches have no political influence and are governed and administered independently.

I was just trying to clarify, I wasn't sure if you meant the church is separated by there own laws etc...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:13:56 »

I believe strongly in personal land ownership, separation of church and state and a policing system that includes a small task force that has rights to investigate and charge ANYONE, up to and including the president. Also a law system that places judgment of case merits in the hands of judges so ridiculous claims get thrown out and commonsense has a chance to prevail.

In one sense an authoritarian state can do well, but only if the leader is "perfect". Since no leader is "perfect", the system cannot work in the way the idealists claim and hope for it to. Corruption and greed are quite often present in the highest levels of these types of governments. Just take a look at Zimbabwe, or many other African nations.

You mean working like Italy? Which operates it's laws and also has 'gods laws' which cannot change and that prevent Italy from allowing gay marriages etc?

Separation of church and state... as in the churches have no political influence and are governed and administered independently.

I was just trying to clarify, I wasn't sure if you meant the church is separated by there own laws etc...

Ah, okay. What I mean is that all members and leaders of the church have to follow the laws of the state (are not permitted special privilege or exempt from any state laws) and that the church does not have any political power, except in governing its own organisation. Also that the state has no power over the internal governance of the church, except where it would violate a state law.

I have no problem with members of any church being members of parliament or in fact church leaders being also political leaders as long as the actual governance is separated and independent.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:23:49 »

Ah, okay. What I mean is that all members and leaders of the church have to follow the laws of the state (are not permitted special privilege or exempt from any state laws) and that the church does not have any political power, except in governing its own organisation. Also that the state has no power over the internal governance of the church, except where it would violate a state law.

I have no problem with members of any church being members of parliament or in fact church leaders being also political leaders as long as the actual governance is separated and independent.

Don't those two things contradict one another?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:46:26 »
America is an interesting case. It is very diverse and has such a large population and land area that having a single ruling party that has systems that work for everyone is pretty difficult. Perhaps local state governance should have more control and national goverment less, with only the "core" ideals and systems that make sense for a united group of states. Like a mini version of UN. The balance of benefits for particular groups from national and state elections should be roughly equal.

That's pretty much exactly how our Constitutional Republic is supposed to work. And how libertarians like me want it to be. Having a large, powerful Federal government which ruled over everyone with autonomy was a strong fear of many of our Founding Fathers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:08:00 »

Likewise, Hitler oversaw the rebuilding of an even more devastated Germany into a superpower in a mere decade.

without an inevitable descent into a hellish Orwellian "1984" world?

Hitler bankrupted his country in the process,

You can't simply turn around a country just like that without there being massive downsides.

Hitler was insane.

Instead of "quitting while he was ahead" and nurturing the country back to health with its new-found prosperity, he started wars.

And even when he was succeeding in that venture, temporarily, he suddenly decided to back-stab Russia, with whom he had an alliance.

Hello!

He might have learned something from Napoleon. But then Bush Jr might have learned something from Brezhnev, for that matter.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 09:56:30 »

Likewise, Hitler oversaw the rebuilding of an even more devastated Germany into a superpower in a mere decade.

without an inevitable descent into a hellish Orwellian "1984" world?

Hitler bankrupted his country in the process,

You can't simply turn around a country just like that without there being massive downsides.

Hitler was insane.

Instead of "quitting while he was ahead" and nurturing the country back to health with its new-found prosperity, he started wars.

And even when he was succeeding in that venture, temporarily, he suddenly decided to back-stab Russia, with whom he had an alliance.

Hello!

He might have learned something from Napoleon. But then Bush Jr might have learned something from Brezhnev, for that matter.

Stop

with

the

double line

spacing

please

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:06:38 »
Stop

with

the

double line

spacing

please

BUT WHAT ABOUT...

...DOUBLE LINE SPACING...

...AND ELLIPSES...

...AND ALL CAPS?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:08:23 »
Stop

with

the

double line

spacing

please

BUT WHAT ABOUT...

...DOUBLE LINE SPACING...

...AND ELLIPSES...

...AND ALL CAPS?

but what about this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:10:10 »

in memoriam

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:10:28 »

double line

spacing

Double line spacing is like commas and other punctuation, which I employ deliberately and specifically.

When I separate expressions and thoughts, I do so with for a reason. Think of it as something more than a full stop.

And yes, I read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" and while I agree with many of the points of the book, and even find many of the British conventions more desirable than the corresponding American ones, I do think that "standard" punctuation is weak and some marks are underemployed, in contrast to Truss's conclusion that punctuation is overused.

PS - my ancestors hailed from Oxfordshire and I consider the Oxford comma to be almost mandatory

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:14:45 »
Double line spacing is like commas and other punctuation, which I employ deliberately and specifically.

When I separate expressions and thoughts, I do so with for a reason. Think of it as something more than a full stop.

Hitler was insane.

Hello!

This is one connected idea, I don't see why you'd make a point to separate all these points.

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:30:09 »
This is one connected idea, I don't see why you'd make a point to separate all these points.

To give time for reflection on the ramifications of each piece of it. I advocate writing in the same voice as you speak.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:33:35 »
PS - my ancestors hailed from Oxfordshire and I consider the Oxford comma to be almost mandatory

Laugh

Out

Loud

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:34:15 »
Having read my fair share of Johnson and Carlyle, I'm aware that nontraditional punctuation has been, and can be, used to great effect. That said, fohat, your double line spacing drives me crazy for some reason.

Clearly someone needs to make a new thread for punctuation therapy.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:27:04 »
My last comment, and then I should probably leave this thread forever.  It is remarkably difficult to have any meaningful discussion when so many are stating blatant historical inaccuracies.  For example: a reasonable discussion could be had about whether the heavy deficit spending of the Third Reich into public works and military production would have ultimately pulled the economy through confirming the Keynesian theories prevalent at the time, and whether or not such works could have been sustained without the approximately 1 billion usd1 it plundered from interned or executed residents and occupied lands... but then I read "decade of prosperity before war".  The entire existence of the Third Reich was 10 years start to finish.  Sure, it's a detail, but it's an important one.  The Third Reich had 3 years before invading and capturing land.  There was essentially no period of magical peaceful prosperity people here are imagining, and it's impossible to have reasonable discussions with people's imaginations.

Furthermore, if you knew your history, you would know that the Weimar Republic was making good steps towards stabilization until the great depression hit (ultimately having a longer period of stable prosperity than the Third Reich would enjoy), and they couldn't make payments on loans and reparations.  The creditors and governments refused to negotiate other terms, and Weimar instituted a massive currency devaluation that lead to runaway hyperinflation that created the unrest needed to pave the way for the installment and consolidation of power around Hitler.  It's critical to understand this, as it would inform the demands and monetary policies after the second world war.  And if you followed *that* history you would wonder why Germany would be the one's to hold Greek feet to the fire over defaulting (excuse me, being "in arrears" as they preferred to say) after having so much of their own debt forgiven while rebuilding in the years after the war.

Many people here remind me of the high school student who loves philosophy because they like to tell other people what they think.  They arrive at university and quickly find out that no one gives a **** about what they think, now go read.  There should be considerably more reading done and much less opining based on half-formed, or strictly inaccurate facts, by many of the participants in the thread.

1 This is a number that won't every be fully agreed upon due to accounting inaccuracies, intentional obfuscation, and invaluable objects like artwork.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 13:20:54 »
the Weimar Republic was making good steps towards stabilization until the great depression hit

runaway hyperinflation that created the unrest needed to pave the way for the installment and consolidation of power around Hitler.

You are right about this. I apologize for reacting emotionally and making an invalid statement relative to the acceptance of totalitarianism.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:41:29 »
Many people here remind me of the high school student who loves philosophy because they like to tell other people what they think.  They arrive at university and quickly find out that no one gives a **** about what they think, now go read.  There should be considerably more reading done and much less opining based on half-formed, or strictly inaccurate facts, by many of the participants in the thread.
Don't worry, I'm well aware that nobody cares what I think. My opinions are no more significant than the opinions of others. I don't like philosophy either, the only exception thus far being The Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler, although that's probably because it's largely concerned with history.

I will continue reading.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 21:03:12 »
America is an interesting case. It is very diverse and has such a large population and land area that having a single ruling party that has systems that work for everyone is pretty difficult. Perhaps local state governance should have more control and national goverment less, with only the "core" ideals and systems that make sense for a united group of states. Like a mini version of UN. The balance of benefits for particular groups from national and state elections should be roughly equal.

That's pretty much exactly how our Constitutional Republic is supposed to work. And how libertarians like me want it to be. Having a large, powerful Federal government which ruled over everyone with autonomy was a strong fear of many of our Founding Fathers.

+1

Offline calmfries

• Formerly CalvinXC
  • Broke af
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 22:37:30 »
I'm pretty sure my country is going downhill  :'(
Worst is that currency conversion rate, more expensive keycaps, more expensive keyboards  :(
B87 | TGR 910 CE

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 14:38:13 »
I'm pretty sure my country is going downhill  :'(
Worst is that currency conversion rate, more expensive keycaps, more expensive keyboards  :(

Sorry to hear that, my "old" country (South Africa) is also in a pretty bad decline. Our esteemed leader's latest brain fart was to replace the current finance minister who was doing a pretty good job of managing the mess he has created and keeping the economy somewhat alive. I fear SA is going to end up like Zimbabwe.

+1

It just seems logical and reasonable to me. Especially considering some of the decisions made in the last few terms. I do disagree with some Libertarian policies, though, but I don't think I could find an American party that I agree with ALL major policy points. I have here in Finland, but as I said, it's quite a small country and with the 8 or so most popular parties they cover a wide range of "similar" policies, due to the similarity in general of Finnish people's standpoints. With the number of seats in parliament balanced according to vote percentages, most decision making is fairly representative. Then again, at least 19 of the US states have higher populations than the whole of Finland.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:20:19 »
Hey guys.  Watch this, regardless of what you think of the man.  Bernie Sanders is so real, I think he is popping off the screen.  I feel like every other national politician is bull****ting us for their own ego, but I'm not sure if Bernie even has an ego.

I don't like how he vilifies and generalizes the rich, but nobody is perfect.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/watch-killer-mikes-six-part-interview-with-bernie-sanders-20151215
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 18:51:49 »
Bernie Sanders is so real, I think he is popping off the screen.  I feel like every other national politician is bull****ting us for their own ego

Bernie Sanders is the real deal.

He is the first truly honest  look-you-straight-in-the-eye-and-tell-you-the-truth  candidate since Jimmy Carter.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:05:57 »
Bernie Sanders is so real, I think he is popping off the screen.  I feel like every other national politician is bull****ting us for their own ego

He is the first truly honest  look-you-straight-in-the-eye-and-tell-you-the-truth  candidate since Jimmy Carter.

I want to believe it will work..

But the economic powers and responsibilities are so much greater than a president's POWERS and IDEAS..

How much will he really be able to do in office, as one person..

SURELY ALLL the presidents are good people and wanted to do good for his people,   but he just can't   because  every layer of a capitalist economy has a tinge-of-selfishness  which leads to this reverse-Pyramidal distribution of wealth and power..

And even if equality sounds great on paper..

Can people really handle that state of organization..

If no one has significantly more power than I do..  **** hell, I'm not gonna do what he tells me to do.. **** him..

How will you actively and cheaply motivate ANYONE  in such a state of equality.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:26:20 »

At 6:55 in this video, from the mouth of Killer Mike, talking about the NRA: "They got a great token black guy..." 
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:35:12 by vivalarevolución »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 19:43:18 »
I'm watching the videos..

I like the guy...

But in the back of my mind..   the only possible way any of these ideas can happen... regardless of who's in office...

is if SUDDENLY,,  Every-Rich-Person, gets BORED of being RICH...

How is that ever going to happen...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 20:06:41 »
sigh.......

THe problem isn't ideas.. or -the right thing- ...

All the guyzus are arguing about who's -doing right- ,  they're all doing Right...

Every president has done right..

The problem is the way we measure our wealth, and the fact that all wealth TODAY is purely the creation of Debt to be paid by a -growing- population..

well, ****,  our population does not grow,  so now who pays,  the growing populations of other nations..

What happens when THEY don't grow..

sigh..............

Everyone wants to talk about ideas,  ****, we all know the right thing to do..

But when the problem is something far more fundamental... a Mathematical ERROR in my opinion...   NOTHING will alter the cold hard fact that the structure is no longer compatible to incentivize progress.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 21:12:44 »
I feel like regardless of these Button words...

Here's what's gonna happen..

Lets say Bernie wins..

He gets in there..   He's got the great idea..

Then his advisors are gonna be like,  ok bernie,  but who's gonna pay for that..

Then Bernie is going to realize.. Crap I forgot about that...

Then he goes and talks to the People with money,  and they're like, hahahha, NO, we're not gonna pay for that..

Then they negotiate,   and all the promises will be broken, because ultimately MONEY SPEAKS...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 21:45:23 »

0 chance of even winning the democratic nom though

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 23:39:14 »

0 chance of even winning the democratic nom though

It really depends on how much money he haz...   and what his 'PLAN" is to make the power-that-be m0ar money..

That's the bottom line..

You don't play ball,  you don't get to be president..

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:38:28 »
I like Bernie and his philosophies and the fact he stays away from a lot of the political games. But I'm not sure he knows much about what it takes to create and accumulate personal wealth or offers much in terms of economic policies beyond populist ideas.  I see him categorizing the wealthy just like Donald Trump categorizes everyone (except white people, of course, unless I missed something).

I don't think it is a good idea to paint broad strokes for all those that wealthy, because not every billionaire is a **** like the Koch brothers, but at least he recognizes the growing wealth gap in this country and actually is willing to have a respectful conversation about social issues with guys like Killer Mike.  You don't see that everyday from a national level politician.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:48:40 »
because not every billionaire is a **** like the Koch brothers,

You don't see that everyday from a national level politician.

Did you see that Warren Buffet came out in favor of Hillary the other day?

Bernie does not attack people, he condemns damaging conditions and processes.

If elections stayed focused on issues and principles rather than personalities, they would come out a lot better.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 09:16:17 »
If elections stayed focused on issues and principles rather than personalities, they would come out a lot better.

So what do you think about his foreign policy? Because that's really the one area the president is a major factor and one of the areas he has little knowledge in.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 09:33:32 »

Every rich person is exactly the same..

That's the whole point of being rich..

one... get rich

two... STAY rich..

three... get Richer....

If this did not happen,  that person wouldn't be rich..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 09:38:10 »
It also doesn't make any difference at all, WHO you tax..

America PRINTS MONEY, by creating DEBT.....

The end result is the same, SOMEONE ELSE pays for what we have..

Everything we have is built more on the shoulders of others than our own..

Someone making your shoe got a cookie for his efforts,  you worked maybe 20 minutes in exchange for that..  and Nike took 17 minutes, the material is worth 2min 49 seconds, and the last 11 seconds payed for the cookie in the mouth of the guy that made the shoe.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:15:43 »

Personality and charisma are both incredibly important for a leader, Merkel being the exception

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:48:46 »

Personality and charisma are both incredibly important for a leader, Merkel being the exception

Politicians have to impress the idiots who vote for them, after all.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 13:17:53 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 16:56:22 »

He subscribes to the age-old adage, one of the keys to understanding and accepting the world and achieving personal happiness: DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME.

So what do you think about his foreign policy? Because that's really the one area the president is a major factor and one of the areas he has little knowledge in.

I haven't looked much into his foreign policy, which is important as the leader of the most imperialist nation on the planet.  I figure that if he decides to treat people from all corners of the world as human beings, rather than throw them all is some category of brown people or whatever and starting bombing them for political points, that is a good start.