Author Topic: planck speed at planck distance vs a slow speed at planck distance. whats diff?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

this thought has bothered me for a while. anyone who's more enlightened about physics care to explain to me?

what is planck speed.. ? do you mean speed of light.
yes, it's the diff name for speed of light, cause speed of light can differ in a vacuum and in a medium, aka the vacuum of space and the air.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
One thing is the speed of light constant, is actually the max possible in a vacuum, not actual speed through other mediums.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't gravity influence the speed of light as well?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't gravity influence the speed of light as well?
I'm fairly certain yes.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
From my understanding from this page, gravity doesn't affect the light, but affects the medium it travels through.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/59502/does-gravity-slow-the-speed-that-light-travels

No matter how you look at it, the topic gets much more complicated than what it appears on the surface.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
If speed is constant that's fine, but who's observing? What is your ray of light going to do?

If space is warped by that black hole, then you will never observe the light no matter what speed it can move. So this planck constant is a theoretical speed, but no observer can ever see the light go from place A to B since in a black hole everything is in the same place squashed together.

Now that's a singularity. But the universe originated also from a singularity. So there can be no visible light present when the universe began. That's why we can never observe what went on before the Big Bang or whatever they now call that moment when the Universe began? Planck constant, like all the laws of physics, becomes useless in a singularity?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

From my understanding from this page, gravity doesn't affect the light, but affects the medium it travels through.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/59502/does-gravity-slow-the-speed-that-light-travels

No matter how you look at it, the topic gets much more complicated than what it appears on the surface.
i guess only massive amounts of gravity affect light considering a black hole can bend time itself too.