Author Topic: how to get a motorcycle driver license?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline jonathanyu

how to get a motorcycle driver license?
« on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:47:33 »
do i just take the written test and road test just like license for normal car, or do i need to do something extra?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: how to get a motorcycle driver license?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:49:44 »
Hah.

Getting a motorbike license was always a classic way of getting people to volunteer for something ****.

But I don't know. I think in the UK it's very different.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:54:32 »
do i just take the written test and road test just like license for normal car, or do i need to do something extra?

There's usually also an associated class which provides the bike and also does the driving test (at least here in MI). Price is around $150 and class is a few days (but not difficult at all if you have any riding experience)
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:54:37 »
At least in my state (SC), you need a driver's ed program, previous license (or learner's permit) and have to take a vision, written, and skills test (just like a car). I think the motorcycle road test is much shorter though.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:57:16 »
Take the MSF. You'll avoid dealing with the dmv
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:06:19 »

I too recommend the class, especially if you are a new rider. 

Realistically though, all you need to do is take the written test for your permit (no passengers, fwy, or night time), then get a bike to do the physical test at the dmv for your actual licence.  Borrow something from a friend that is small and easy to maneuver since the test is in the parking lot and involves you staying between 2 lines as you pull from a stop, go around a circle, and then back to where you started.  The person giving the test may also have you maneuver through some cones in the middle of the course, but it is entirely in their discretion (I didn't have to do that part). 

This is the course:

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 01:37:43 »
holy ****...seems much more complicated than getting a normal driver license...

Realistically though, all you need to do is take the written test for your permit (no passengers, fwy, or night time), then get a bike to do the physical test at the dmv for your actual licence.  Borrow something from a friend that is small and easy to maneuver since the test is in the parking lot and involves you staying between 2 lines as you pull from a stop, go around a circle, and then back to where you started.  The person giving the test may also have you maneuver through some cones in the middle of the course, but it is entirely in their discretion (I didn't have to do that part). 

This is the course:
Show Image

I have seen some video of this. Do I just take that course and do the circle thing in you picture? Or do I need to do the circle thing and than take test in dmv?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 02:00:26 »

This is the course:
Show Image

I have seen some video of this. Do I just take that course and do the circle thing in you picture? Or do I need to do the circle thing and than take test in dmv?
Do the test first so you can get your permit.  Once you are legal to ride you can head over to your local dmv and practice the course.  Just go on a day they are closed. 

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 18:46:59 »

This is the course:
Show Image

Go through the class. They teach some valuable stuff and you can avoid the DMV.

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 00:57:32 »

This^

Do an internet search on "Motorcycle Safety Foundation."  I'm also in California and this is the way I started my motorcycle license process years ago.  It's a 4 day class (if memory serves), 2 days in a classroom setting and 2 days of riding practice.  Also, it counts as the riding portion of your DMV test.  After your MSF class, you just go to the DMV and take your written test. 

« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 01:00:36 by shortround »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 08:57:31 »

This^

Do an internet search on "Motorcycle Safety Foundation."  I'm also in California and this is the way I started my motorcycle license process years ago.  It's a 4 day class (if memory serves), 2 days in a classroom setting and 2 days of riding practice.  Also, it counts as the riding portion of your DMV test.  After your MSF class, you just go to the DMV and take your written test. 

doesn't the MSF class already do the written test? i thought they did. i need to research it more. and make time to get my license.

Offline Kompanion

how to get a motorcycle driver license?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 16:01:05 »

That's only in some states though. Gotta look at your states regulations to see if they will take the MSF in place of the test. Also, most states still make you go in for the written test. So unfortunately no completely avoiding the dmv

You will die.. Don't do it.....

Everyone dies eventually. Might as well live a little before you do.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 16:03:46 by Kompanion »

Offline shortround

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 13:13:24 »

This^

doesn't the MSF class already do the written test? i thought they did. i need to research it more. and make time to get my license.

In California it counts as the riding portion of your DMV test, you will receive a paper from them proving that you completed the class.  Then you have to take that slip with you to DMV and do your written test there. 

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 14:36:48 »

This^

In California it counts as the riding portion of your DMV test, you will receive a paper from them proving that you completed the class.  Then you have to take that slip with you to DMV and do your written test there. 

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 00:32:01 »

This^

Thank you so much!
Will try to get my license in this year  :p

You will die.. Don't do it.....

do you drive in china tp4?
 ^-^ i always saw **** load of crazy drivers when ever I went back there...

Offline shortround

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 00:12:25 »
"Thank you so much!
Will try to get my license in this year"  :p

Sure, good luck with your license.   :thumb:

This^

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up.

No Problemo.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 00:15:40 by shortround »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 03:07:01 »
Hah.

Getting a motorbike license was always a classic way of getting people to volunteer for something ****.

UK is so different and its deterring me from doing it  :-\

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 06:51:51 »
Hah.

What is so bad about it?

Also why the hell are you not a crossfitter?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 07:11:30 »
Here in the Netherlands I had to do 3 tests.
One written.
One was doing a few exercises correct (emergency stop, slow and fast slalom, evasive manouver).
One was on the road like with the car.

Offline mauri

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 14:46:00 »
Hah.

What is so bad about it?

Also why the hell are you not a crossfitter?

it is my understanding that there's no way around having to drive 1-2 (?) years on a 125 cc (?) bike

but yeah in general it feels like no matter where you are government loves to **** with motorcyclists. getting a license got significantly harder and pricier a few years ago here too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 14:47:36 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:12:05 »
The US is great with motorcycle licenses. Here take this four day class and enjoy your new hayabusa.

And in certain states, no helmet needed. Wtf you need a helmet for? You some kinda ****?

MURICA.

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:23:38 »
but yeah in general it feels like no matter where you are government loves to **** with motorcyclists
Not applicable to Russia. There it's only a written test and maneuvers. After which a freshly licensed motorcyclist can buy a 1100 Blackbird and successfully kill themselves. Well, at least it was like that when I got my full A.

I 'learned' how to handle a bike on this very ground.

getting a license got significantly harder and pricier a few years ago here too.
You guys are famous for your long, expensive and thorough licencing process.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mauri

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 16:54:09 »
The US is great with motorcycle licenses. Here take this four day class and enjoy your new hayabusa.

And in certain states, no helmet needed. Wtf you need a helmet for? You some kinda ****?

MURICA.

safety aside, what kind of an idiot doesn't ride with a helmet? catching rocks, bugs and other **** with your face isn't fun. also the wind. if i go for a longer ride on the twisties my visor will be 95% bugs at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2016, 06:52:46 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline SJHL

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 18:50:08 »

+1. Made everything easier for me. I just needed to pass the test afterwards.