Author Topic: Computer upgrade —some thoughts (only if you have time, though)  (Read 11564 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Computer upgrade —some thoughts (only if you have time, though)
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 09:17:56 »
Just for the record, my lovely Core2Duo rig that's about to retire managed for 8 years without a reinstall.
Oh, you're one of them...
Show Image

My friend does this. He's been telling me for YEARS he needs to install win10 or reinstall. Just never happens.

Tp4 reformats Every year..

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 09:48:55 »
Just wanna jump in and say I have a rx 480 and am having some issues.

Fans aren't ramping when gaming in over watch, haven't had the time to test more in depth yet.

Set fan speed manually then..
Show Image

Thats what I did, but I got it to ramp without the software now! all goof

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 09:56:15 »
Just for the record, my lovely Core2Duo rig that's about to retire managed for 8 years without a reinstall.
Show Image

My friend does this. He's been telling me for YEARS he needs to install win10 or reinstall. Just never happens.

Show Image

I have been running off the same Windows 8 install for the past 4 years, imaged across 4 different SSDs, and it's still running stable on 3 machines. And I'm sure the 4th SSD would still run it just fine after 3 years of doing nothing with it.

Reformatting for the sake of reformatting is unnecessary. If your build is stable leave it the **** alone.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:11:39 »
Re: the 480X, does it involve some sort of monkey business with overlapping blades? That's bound to go wrong without a solid backplate on the card and something to support the card in the slot to prevent it from drooping. If it's just the bearing, sometimes using a needle to oil the thing helps.

'Kay, guys. I still need to pick that RAM. I've decided to go with G.Skill, but the problem is their best pieces are either their top like called TridentZ or the nominally lower Ripjaws V, which sometimes has just the same timings or better and probably the same IC anyway. The look of TridentZ doesn't really match the look of Asrock Fatality K6, as you can see. Ripjaws, though, looks like it was made for it.

Poland is a difficult market, and higher-speed RAM is basically very difficult to come by here, so it's mostly like online vendor where you're bound to end up going. Right now I can have these two for the same price of about $150, both of the TridentZ line (which is what the GTZ says):

F4-3600C17D-16GTZ) (3600, 17-18-18 etc.)
F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (3200, full 14, higher chance to get a single-sided Samsung IC, which is better)

And F4-3200C16D-16GVK costs a little under $100 (3200, full 16) and looks better for the mobo, but may be the worse IC. But it's like one third less for what? 1 fps down? Some missed OC fun? I'm finding it hard to justify the spend, but also hard to justify the saving. Stalemate.

Logic dictates this is a bit expensive for some sort of future-proofing of doubtful utility, nope? But I've already made the mistake of jumping on a non-K bargain instead of waiting longer for a K one. Don't want to repeat it.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 20:57:21 »

I have been running off the same Windows 8 install for the past 4 years, imaged across 4 different SSDs, and it's still running stable on 3 machines. And I'm sure the 4th SSD would still run it just fine after 3 years of doing nothing with it.

Reformatting for the sake of reformatting is unnecessary. If your build is stable leave it the **** alone.

Servers, sure..

Client side,  heck no...   Stuff goes wrong, settings get corrupted, you may have a working computer.. But there is a good deal of snappiness lost in a year..

I always keep a fresh image so my reformat is fast..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 01:42:51 »
Show Image

Show Image

I do it whenever it starts to feel sluggish.
I'm pretty sure I've got a clone of my harddrive lying around somewhere. Just a matter of finding it.