Author Topic: Asus Router  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Asus Router
« on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 19:20:36 »
anyone here has experience with this router?
https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AC5300/

I have Linksys WRT1900AC, and the office need a new router
Have the chance to get the Asus and put the Linksys in the office, but wondering if it's a good idea

Surprisingly am not too satisfied with the linksys, it's unstable, wifi coverage isn't great , etc
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
Re: Asus Router
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 19:59:14 »
I have used and recommended Asus for years when it comes to the SoHo market. They are a solid brand and reasonably priced.

I have and use both of these with DDWrt

Asus RT-AC66U

Asus RT-AC68U

No complaints. As for coverage...that's always up to your "topography". 5GHz is pretty short range, but handles interference from a microwave like a champ.

SSKs for everyone!

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:31:18 »
I have had issues with Asus and the OS X wireless stack. I didn't have this router, but a different AC model and my Linux and Windows computers connected fine, both OS X and iOS would occasionally stall and time out, like there was random packet loss or something. I don't have the time to diagnose consumer gear so I got something else and haven't had issues. There are other reports of Asus routers and OS X issues out there, and maybe they've been resolved.

I think the days of consumer wifi are numbered however. Next setup is probably going to be ubiquiti or similar stuff with a real controller and options.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:11:31 »
Thx for the heads up :)

Just ordered the Asus, will let you guys know

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 02:43:50 »
The bigger the router,  the more Tuning to make it work...

It is more powerful hardware, but Almost certainly more fiddling will be necessary to get it working optimally.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 03:34:03 »
I have used and recommended Asus for years when it comes to the SoHo market. They are a solid brand and reasonably priced.

Asus RT-AC66U

Asus RT-AC68U

No complaints. As for coverage...that's always up to your "topography". 5GHz is pretty short range, but handles interference from a microwave like a champ.

I would have never thought about interference prevention. I'll have to look that up and read a bit more about it. My current SOHO will drop wireless connections every so often when someone uses the microwave. It does the job but having some added security from interference would be awesome. Thanks for that :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 21:07:00 »

Asus RT-AC66U

Asus RT-AC68U

I would have never thought about interference prevention. I'll have to look that up and read a bit more about it. My current SOHO will drop wireless connections every so often when someone uses the microwave. It does the job but having some added security from interference would be awesome. Thanks for that :thumb:

I'll have to admit that I was skeptical of WiFi (2.4GHz) interference from microwaves (same 2.4GHz frequencies.)

A couple of years ago I was streaming videos on my phone just a few feet away from my microwave and the video dropped out. This happened a couple of times and, not believing that was really the issue, I decided to switch my phone to 5GHz only...and it worked fine with the microwave running. Of course, that's not proof.

So, I fired up my Ubertooth One with some spectrum analyzer software running and the results were interesting. The noise floor jumped 3x-4x across the whole 2.4GHz band when the microwave was turned on. When it was off the noise floor went back to normal. I tested this several times with the same results. Even from 10-15 feet away and through interior walls.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 05:25:13 »
I have always had fantastic luck with ASUS routers (though now i tend to buy more business grade than consumer since they are more reliable) but the one time i did have an issue with an ASUS router....worst customer support ever.  So in short if you get a good one you are golden....if you get a dud goodluck dealing with an ASUS CSR.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline notbrain

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 19:36:46 »
Been using the AC5300 at work (15+ people) for months now, no complaints, it's pretty solid. Just make sure you keep up with Asus' firmware updates as these can ship with pretty messy javascript UI software. Or install DDWRT or something on it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:13:23 »
Been using the AC5300 at work (15+ people) for months now, no complaints, it's pretty solid. Just make sure you keep up with Asus' firmware updates as these can ship with pretty messy javascript UI software. Or install DDWRT or something on it.

installing ddwrt is scarry the first time you do it,  because the router has to build the system and it takes 10-20 minutes to reboot,  and that entire time, you think you broke the router..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:30:52 »

installing ddwrt is scarry the first time you do it,  because the router has to build the system and it takes 10-20 minutes to reboot,  and that entire time, you think you broke the router..

Show Image

pls I'm just a normal man trying to buy cool looking routers
no technical terms pls

#tp4tooadvanced

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 23:32:22 »

Show Image

no technical terms pls

#tp4tooadvanced

hahaha.. it's like installing windows,   but without that progress indicator,   the router is still running its installation process,  but it doesn't tell you that that's whats happening when you flash the ddwrt..

So, you just sit there,  and dread the fact that you just killed your $150 router.. until it comes back on, and you are elated that the internet has returned.

Offline notbrain

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 23:35:16 »

Show Image

no technical terms pls

#tp4tooadvanced

hahaha.. it's like installing windows,   but without that progress indicator,   the router is still running its installation process,  but it doesn't tell you that that's whats happening when you flash the ddwrt..

So, you just sit there,  and dread the fact that you just killed your $150 router.. until it comes back on, and you are elated that the internet has returned.

Hahaha yeah I went through this when I tried to flash my RT66U (if i'm remembering the model correctly). I made the mistake of not flashing the original firmware before flashing ddwrt. I think it's still salvageable but luckily it's not a router that I'm desperate to get working again.