Author Topic: Let's Talk Keurigs and K-Cup?  (Read 6723 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Let's Talk Keurigs and K-Cup?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 11:21:34 »
Got this little sample box of --Ensure--..  smells like coffee creamer..

Tried it as coffee creamer,   texture comes out awful,  but smells great..

Offline silaz

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 18:43:02 »
I think Keurig is a decent starter machine and the least hassle among most machines I've used. However, I made the jump to grinding my beans fresh and then brewing my coffee at the correct temperature and its made a world of difference in flavor.

My setup:
Breville burr grinder
Technivorm Moccamaster brewer

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 20:37:49 »
I've had a Keurig around for a few years, it's alright.  I ended up picking up a reusable k-cup that you put your own coffee in which worked out ok.  Course ground works better for it as the filter isn't super fine and you can get some chunks that flow through.  I ended up getting annoyed at having to dink around brewing another cup every time I wanted a refill though.

I've recently made the switch to a french press, around 32 oz size.  I do one brew in the morning and it goes straight into two vacuum insulated thermoses.  That'll last me my commute and a decent chunk of the morning at work since the coffee there is pretty rough.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline drewba

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 17:40:51 »
+1 for aeropress & grinder. The aeropress is cheap, portable (just took it on a camping trip!) and the cleanup is simple. I have my brewing process down to about 2 minutes (75% of that is heating the water). The obvious downside is you can only make a single serving, but if you plan ahead and heat more water then making another shot of aeropress is quick. That, or use a ton of beans to make a very concentrated aeropress and divide between multiple cups, then add the rest of your hot water. ez pz. If you need to make a bunch of coffee, a large french press or chemex/pour-over style is just as good though the cleanup is slightly messier.

I have a decent burr grinder and a $10 blade grinder. I'll admit half the time I'm super lazy and end up using the blade grinder much to coffee elitists' chagrin. If you're drinking coffee for the caffeine and don't care so much about the flavor, preground beans get the job done of course. Drip coffee makers also get the job done but in my experience they brew the coffee at too high a temperature so you end up with super bitter coffee which will only get worse if your drip maker has a warming plate. I've only ever owned under $50 drip makers - I'd bet there is a price point where they start to brew your coffee at the correct temp. I can't recommend a Keurig because KCups are as expensive as it gets plus you run in to the same bitter coffee issues if you get the cheapo models.