Author Topic: Kabylake  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: Kabylake
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 11:56:40 »
I went with Samsung Evo 960, which is a NVME... And boy, it's flying!!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 12:25:20 »

is this  a fresh format ?

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 18:23:17 »

Absolutely, yes!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 19:51:22 »
I just built new PC (Kaby Lake) the other day, and last night my old mini-PC died. Timing!

I had not yet moved anything over, and I was at first afraid that I would not be able to recover anything from the encrypted home directory but it decrypted with the old login password. phew.

Before I chose Intel 7700, I had looked a lot into buying a Ryzen 1600 but it has been so frustrating with the platform not being very stable. Most of all though was the lack of any good mATX motherboard: all AM4 mATX boards had the wrong chipset which limited VRM capacity and some tech journalists/youtubers did not recommend anything bigger than a Ryzen 1500 on those... I already had a Jonsbo mATX case that I wanted to use, because it fits my small desk.
One of Asus Z270-Prime is a mATX type and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Reviews said that it performs equally well as its ATX brethren. I would highly suggest you take a look at that.

Congrats on your new PC!

One thing I learned is that the upgrade never stops! Sigh ....  :-X

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 20:39:26 »

Absolutely, yes!

image the drive, then clone onto ur old ssd, see if it works.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 21:39:58 »

Absolutely, yes!
My BIOS (and Windows) did not detect the old SSD anymore  :-X :(
Sad... I am not sure why .. cannot be due to lack of power is there?*

A friend borrowed me a used Titan and I have to plug a 8 pin and 6 pin power thingy into it. What a beast.
So the SSD couldn't be detected; but the two other HDD can.. maybe it's not power.. Maybe it really died.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 July 2017, 21:41:58 by Belfong »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 21:54:10 »

ALWAYS use the Samsung magician software to view details about your M.2 drive and also to update it with the latest firmware when required.

Samsung gear can get tricky and unreliable, if it's NOT using the latest software releases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 22:04:50 »

Absolutely, yes!
My BIOS (and Windows) did not detect the old SSD anymore  :-X :(
Sad... I am not sure why .. cannot be due to lack of power is there?*

A friend borrowed me a used Titan and I have to plug a 8 pin and 6 pin power thingy into it. What a beast.
So the SSD couldn't be detected; but the two other HDD can.. maybe it's not power.. Maybe it really died.

it's prettty rare..

i'd be careful of that power supply

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 00:38:07 »

it's prettty rare..

i'd be careful of that power supply
My mobo should have taken care of any surge, shouldn't it?

Btw, thanks for answering all these questions <3

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 05:39:31 »
The motherboard only takes care of surges for itself, and only small amounts.
Sata drives are powered off the power supply directly.

If you don't have a good power supply, that should be your next investment (and soon!). I recommend buying a really nice one that is over-powered for your setup as they can last a very long time. My last 750 (Pc Power and Cooling before they were bought out) is almost 10 years old still going strong. I replaced it when I had a motherboard problem which turned out to be a graphics/motherboard conflict (it didn't like the board using EFI). Still being used in my server.

Awesome on the ssd, I figured it would make a difference, but I didn't expect such a huge one.

By the way, if your power supply was responsible, you might see a low 5v line in your bios and odds are you would be seeing thumbdrives and usb devices failing as well as they all run on the 5v line. A low line cannot be corrected by the board, it can only smooth out spikes, low amperage (which will show up as low voltage when it runs low on amps) can't be compensated for and is actually just as deadly as a spike, it just takes longer to kill the device. Being off by 3-5% is not unusual, more than 10% could indicate a problem, especially if it is fluctuating by that much. If you do now recognize a trend (failed usb devices), or voltage issues, do not wait, replace that psu NOW. Cheap PSUs and power problems are not to be fooled with. I once lost an entire system to a cheap psu, luckily almost all was under warranty and the rest I warrantied through a buddies shop (good to know people) and I had pretty recent backups. It still hurt though and I was still fighting damaged equipment for weeks afterwards. I don't mess with cheap power supplies on anything I value anymore, it's an investment, like I said, the one is nearly 10 years old and still capable of running anything I throw at it, not many computer parts have that longevity.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 07:15:26 »
Thanks for such an informative write up. I actually went ahead and got myself a voltage regulator today. It wasn't expensive, but yeah, better be safe than sorry. I have invested in quite an expensive rig and I don't want it to fail.

Now, just for discussion sake, you mentioned that the motherboard will only regulate itself. In this case, my SSD is a M.2 which connects directly to the motherboard, did not draw power directly from PSU. That should be good protection right? Which made me more and more convinced that M.2 is the standard to follow in future. So slim, convenient and no cables!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 09:37:01 »
what do you mean voltage regulator ?

you mean the tiny ic with some caps,   or a big ups with power scrubbing

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 17:19:31 »

This type
http://www.kossups.com.my/activa.html

Um, we still live in ancient times.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:12:40 »
Thanks for such an informative write up. I actually went ahead and got myself a voltage regulator today. It wasn't expensive, but yeah, better be safe than sorry. I have invested in quite an expensive rig and I don't want it to fail.

Now, just for discussion sake, you mentioned that the motherboard will only regulate itself. In this case, my SSD is a M.2 which connects directly to the motherboard, did not draw power directly from PSU. That should be good protection right? Which made me more and more convinced that M.2 is the standard to follow in future. So slim, convenient and no cables!
Your new SSD will pull data from the board's power regulation, which you can monitor in Bios. However, again, regulators tend to mostly deal in spikes not dips. Once the capacitors drain, the line drops. I can't tell you how many thumbdrives I've lost due to cheap power supplies having garbage 5v regulation. Which is what M.2 and SSD's run off.

Generally, I recommend spending 1/3rd as much on the power supply as you do on the processor (retail prices, not sale prices), however, it's difficult to have too much power supply and spending an extra $10 or $20 now, could save you replacing it next time you upgrade, saving you far more than $10 or $20.  I have also had good power supplies shut down and save the system or sacrifice themselves to save the system.  It may suck to replace a dead $100 PSU, but it's better than losing your data or the entire system. Regardless, I don't think I have ever heard anyone honestly regret buying too much power supply.

As for M.2 being the future, the only problem with it is limited slots available. Boards are coming with more of them, but it's going to be limited no matter what they do as they take up quite a bit of room. I'm not convinced it will be a lasting standard, not in it's current iteration, they may get tipped on their side like ram slots or something. And I could be wrong. It's still my next upgrade though.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:07:01 »

This type

Those are only for really old houses prone to brown outs and surges..

Are you sure you need that ?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 02:10:47 »
Should I upgrade my computer that is slowly dying or I should wait this new cpu.... still using i5 2400 lol

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:07:30 »

This type

Those are only for really old houses prone to brown outs and surges..

Are you sure you need that ?

so if you have a brown out.....  fo you call a plumber?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:39:28 »
Should I upgrade my computer that is slowly dying or I should wait this new cpu.... still using i5 2400 lol
Your processor isn't really bad, however, what you are lacking is newer features and optimizations. USB 3 built into the chipset, USB C, Thunderbolt, higher IO, NVME drives, etc... It doesn't seem like a lot, but when combined with a fresh install a bit higher clock, especially on a newer SSD, you will see a difference, especially if you switch to NVME SSD.

If you plan on waiting, it will probably be a year or two before any serious change happens from here on out. AMD's mid level is out, and Intel is playing games trying to find a way to seem like they are worth the extra money they plan on asking for the next gen products they have coming (which is kind of a clusterf*ck), so don't expect to get anything much more than the current stuff for the next 2 years for home and gaming systems. AMD hasn't really beaten Intel, but they did catch them sitting on their butts counting their money instead of bringing new stuff to market and it takes time to really bring something new to to the table.

Prices are usually pretty low and stable through summer, around Oct/Nov they go up a bit in anticipation of holiday spending. You get a few sales, but in general the prices stay a bit high through the new year, then you get a post Christmas sale and prices drop close to what they were in fall and stay there until late spring, starting the cycle all over again. This of course ignores new products, but for the most part this is the cycle and summer is the time to upgrade unless you catch a sale.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 05:43:48 »
I have been skipping many generations of intel CPU but I feel Kaby Lake is the time for the upgrade. The only thing I'm not prepared for was the lack of GPU availability, mainly because all these bitcoin miners snatched them up off the shelves quicker than the manufacturer can produce them. And due to demand, the prices of GPU increased! It's actually ridiculous!

My friend is selling me his used GTX Titan (2013 model, Kepler GPU).. I am still unsure if that's what I want though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:06:12 »
I have been skipping many generations of intel CPU but I feel Kaby Lake is the time for the upgrade. The only thing I'm not prepared for was the lack of GPU availability, mainly because all these bitcoin miners snatched them up off the shelves quicker than the manufacturer can produce them. And due to demand, the prices of GPU increased! It's actually ridiculous!

My friend is selling me his used GTX Titan (2013 model, Kepler GPU).. I am still unsure if that's what I want though.

You'd wait for vega, to see what's up,  but overall.... I still wouldn't buy a titan. 

For pro apps, you're actually better off getting an AMD line of gaming gpu, because they're less purposely crippled vs the nvidia counterpart..

For gaming, just have to wait for vega..

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:51:16 »
The problem with the Titan to me is the 250W power that it is drawing, which is crazy high for less performance vs a GTX 1060. Unfortunately the 1060 is not readily available. I'm not going for the state of the art so Vega is probably not for me in the next 2-3 years.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 11:53:51 »
The problem with the Titan to me is the 250W power that it is drawing, which is crazy high for less performance vs a GTX 1060. Unfortunately the 1060 is not readily available. I'm not going for the state of the art so Vega is probably not for me in the next 2-3 years.

it shouldn't idle at 250..

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 07:39:42 »
Just wanted to share what happened to my PC upgrade in the past week. I have been testing my friend's Titan but it just can't play GTA V at max setting. It runs fine, at 60 fps but the card temp grew to 85C consistently and then GTA V crashed. Happened a few times. But once I have seen GTA V in 1080p at 60 fps, I can't unsee it and decided to return the Titan back to my friend and proceeded to hunt for GTX 1060.

Hunt is the word because stocks were extremely rare here due to these Ethereum mining craze. And then, one retailer told me that he can get me a 1060 at $350. I was ecstatic but I suspect that it must be the dual fan Asus ROG. Turned out it was the 3 fan but they are not able to sell me the 3 fan overclocked GTX at that price and if I really wanted the card, I will need to fork out additional $. I was already in the shop, I couldn't bear leaving empty handed and shell out the additional money.

Once I reached home, I tried to plug the card into my PC and was shocked that it cannot fit. This card is at least an inch longer compare to the Titan and my old casing was not long enough!! OMG! Either I returned the card and start from square one or I get a new case. I did some research and bought a Fractal Design Define R5. I must tell you how great this case is, really! (*) I fell in love it with! Superb casing and design.. anyhoo, here I am, with almost a COMPLETELY new PC and enjoying GTA V at Ultra setting on 1080p! Niceeeee.....

(*) I think this guy can do a better job at telling you about Define R5. It was this video that made me lust for the case

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 08:51:15 »
why not 1080 ti..  or Vega HYPE.. !! hahahahah

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 09:15:52 »
I can't afford it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 10:34:09 »
I wish that there was a case in SFF that was as good as Fractal Design's cases are internally. I considered getting the "Define Nano S" and cutting it shorter but the motherboard tray being steel and having multiple angles would have made that difficult.
I am now using a mATX motherboard in a Jonsbo U3 which is seven litres smaller than Fractal's "Nano" case for mini-iTX.
🍉

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:23:22 »
I wish that there was a case in SFF that was as good as Fractal Design's cases are internally. I considered getting the "Define Nano S" and cutting it shorter but the motherboard tray being steel and having multiple angles would have made that difficult.
I am now using a mATX motherboard in a Jonsbo U3 which is seven litres smaller than Fractal's "Nano" case for mini-iTX.
I have thought about getting a smaller case as well. I mean, who needs 5 drive bays these days? Get something compact and save space.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 12:10:11 »
I can't afford it.

Ramen Financing.. !!