Author Topic: 40%er's: What do you think of the Vortex Core's stock layout?  (Read 10649 times)

Offline dante

40%er's: What do you think of the Vortex Core's stock layout?
« on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 16:34:24 »
What do you think of Vortex's first effort of a 40% layout? 

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Re: 40%er's: What do you think of the Vortex Core's stock layout?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:09:14 »
I see some choices that I like quite a lot.

First, split spacebar. Every keyboard should do this.

Second, Ctrl in the bottom left corner. For people who prefer Ctrl in the Caps Lock position, that's also fine but I put my backspace there because backspace is generally used more frequently than control. However, since I would probably use the other half of the split spacebar for backspace, I'd probably use the caps lock position as an alternate Fn key if it's reprogrammable. I still like control in the left hand corner because of accessibility (it's physically easy to find the key at the extreme bottom left, in the same way people use backspace in the other corner), and because when I'm using Ctrl I'm also often using Shift so I'm moving my hand anyways (if Ctrl was where caps lock is you'd still have to move your hand because Ctrl and Shift are both pinky keys and you don't have two left pinkies so you need to move your hand to use your left ring finger).

Third, I like that there's two shift keys, and that the right shift is where it should be rather than shift and Fn1 being switched. Some people don't touch type using both shift keys but I do and consider it a very important feature.

Fourth, the arrow keys are on IJKL rather than HJKL (I'm a Vim user by the way) or HHKB style. IJKL is the resting position for a right hand inverted-T so I consider this a plus. I generally put my arrows on the left-hand resting side, on ESDF (not WASD!), as I prefer that side. I also use ESDF for gaming.

Fifth, I like what they did with Page Up/Down and Home/End rather than making it a six pack. I do something sort of similar, but not quite the same. I put Home where they put PgUp (since home is to the left) and End where the put PgDn (since end is to the right) and then stack PgUp and PgDn on top of each other where they have Home and End.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:12:16 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:13:36 »
I see a layout that will drive users nuts trying to figure out how to put custom SA sets on it...

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:21:12 »
I guess my biggest complaint would be having the digits all in a row instead of a numeric keypad type layout. I'm good at getting used to almost any layout but I really wouldn't like that.

Backspace & delete both on the top layer? Seems like a wasted switch to me.
REΛLFORCE

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 17:26:19 »
I am really considering this. Not sure how I will like a 40% so this is the most affordable option to try it in my opinion.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 20:04:39 »
why is Capslock still there? I mean... it more useless than the long-ass spacebar.

now we have split-spacebar, that Capslock must be killed

EDIT: sorry, I have never used a 40%.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:30:10 »
I quite like it and will probably go for it - like 99.9%. Having used a Pok3r for a while, this smaller layout is a logical step for Vortex. Actually I have programmed my JD45 to have a similar layout.

I do like the IJKL for the arrow keys and having Pg*U*p/PgD*o*wn and *H*ome/E*n*d around it - works for me

I would put [] next to P and use the left part of the split space bar as Backspace/Del.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 January 2017, 22:38:38 by Twinguin »
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 00:58:35 »
Any kind of release date or pricing on this? Or did I miss something?

Offline wodan

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 02:00:48 »

Oh yeah along with stock PBT SA DyeSub keycaps, a 5kg CNC aluminum case, bluetooth, USB-C,  stickered vintage MX Black switches, brass plate & weight insert and a ****ing laser that can shoot down the moon ...

Oh yeah an SNORTBAK-layout cause that's another one of my crazy hardcore enthusiast choices that seriously propose to unleash upon the public ...

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:27:58 »
Any kind of release date or pricing on this? Or did I miss something?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php

Offline Tactile

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 08:37:18 »
I'm assuming that the right half of the split spacebar is space. What does the left half do?
REΛLFORCE

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:05:48 »
Could I get you to elaborate as to why you think so?
I've never used a keyboard with a split spacebar so I don't know what advantages there are to it.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:21:22 »
I've never used a keyboard with a split spacebar so I don't know what advantages there are to it.
Humans tend to have two relatively strong thumbs, that are severely underutilized on mainstream keyboards, whereas (short and weak) pinkies are heavily overloaded.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:26:10 »

Most people just hit the spacebar on either the right or left side, never hitting the other side at all. That means you can use the other side of a split spacebar for something else you find handy. Some folks put backspace there because it's a more convenient spot than reaching up. I've seen some folks  program Enter in that spot, as well. There are no rules. You'd just program something there you find useful to hit without having to shift your hands, usually a key you use often.
REΛLFORCE

Offline hking0036

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:44:16 »

Oh yeah along with stock PBT SA DyeSub keycaps, a 5kg CNC aluminum case, bluetooth, USB-C,  stickered vintage MX Black switches, brass plate & weight insert and a ****ing laser that can shoot down the moon ...

Oh yeah an SNORTBAK-layout cause that's another one of my crazy hardcore enthusiast choices that seriously propose to unleash upon the public ...
:))
The SNORTBAK comment nailed it. I'm interested to see 40% being made by keyboard companies rather than just as enthusiast projects, but personally they're a bit much for me. You don't gain much with the size decrease from 60% and you have to lay the layers on even thicker. Probably one of the things you just have to type on to wrap your head around, but I can't say I'm really sold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 09:45:55 by hking0036 »
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 11:43:19 »
What would be really cool is a DIP switch to turn the space bars into function keys.  You can still use space but will have likely do space+<some key> to do repeating spaces.

I'm probably not going to buy one but I'm still mildly interested in what the experience is like.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 13:10:02 »
I'm in, as long as it has programmability similar to the pok3r.  I was going to get .01's new offering on massdrop, but have decided to get this instead.

Offline leehwtsohg

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 13:50:00 »
(I thought 13 keys at the top counts as a 45% keyboard...)
Cool! The more small keyboards come out the better!
I'd also drop the caps lock for tab, and the del is also not so important for me,
For me, the slash '/' key is important, so I'd like it to be easily accessible. Placement of cursor keys is pretty good. I prefer linear number layout to numpad. Where are the punctuation keys? '!@#$%^&*'?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2017, 13:52:51 by leehwtsohg »

Offline dante

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 13:15:54 »
Just a heads up: MechanicalKeyboards.com received a batch of Vortex Core's today.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:27:38 »
I find that very interesting as a toy and something you can carry around with a laptop.  But as a PC Gamer a 40% is completely useless to me.  I wouldn't even be able to deal with a 60%.  A TKL is the lowest I could go.  Full size keyboards are great as long as they are programmable (like duckies) because you can remap the number pad into macros and passwords or something (though I'd put that on a FN+key...wouldn't want it coming out on accident).

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:09:34 »
Just unpacked mine and trying to get comfortable with the layout.  :cool:

First of all: the keycaps are awesome. First time DSA for me, but the feel of the PBT - I like it.  :thumb:

A few things, I noticed right away:
-Fn's only on the right side  :( - I use the left Fn on the Pok3r a lot (as someone mentioned, they are not new to DIP switches, sigh)
-Fn next to right-shift is kind of annoying
-Who needs CAPS LOCK? So I need to press WIN-Fn-Caps to jump between MacOS Apps
-Del and backspace next to each other? Couild have put Del on a Fn-layer.

I`m kind of torn about the "moved" keys: it has a logic to have /[]\ together, but having [] next to P is just a no-brainer for me.

I think I`ll start some programming ...

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:19:58 »
That split space bars is stabilized right ?
The right one is (2.75u I guess). The left one (1.75u?) is not.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 17:30:56 »
Those convex spacebars tell me that the caps are either made in-house or XDA profile; Either way, I really love the use of convex spacebars as it would be nicer on the fingers.
However, I can see some people disliking the use of a flat, spherical profile as it's probably the least popular profile for typing on.

Otherwise, I don't use a 40% layout so I can't say much for the design of it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:18:48 »
Don't think I could do a 40% with a locked in layer. Wasted PN key, default caps, second ctrl and second alt in my opinion.
keyboards.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:48:40 »
Don't think I could do a 40% with a locked in layer. Wasted PN key, default caps, second ctrl and second alt in my opinion.
Well, you've got three layers you can freely programme, even can reprogramme the Pn key on those. What's more annoying, the two space bars are always one key.

Offline dante

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 21:55:55 »
Massdrop is currently running a drop for these.  So far 84 sold out of the 440 limit with 9 days left.  It's selling a lot better than I thought it would!

Offline jabar

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 22:15:46 »
Massdrop is currently running a drop for these.  So far 84 sold out of the 440 limit with 9 days left.  It's selling a lot better than I thought it would!
Just a slight ~$15 discount (incl. shipping) over MK.com and an estimated shipment of mid-March. Nah.

Looks nice, although I haven't used anything under a TKL in a long time...
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit