Author Topic: AMD Zen.. .. NO LONGER Excited.. bad news!!  (Read 26138 times)

Offline Coreda

Re: AMD Zen.. .. NO LONGER Excited.. bad news!!
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 21:41:56 »
fffffffffff..  now we gotta keep buying more bull**** intel motherboards

What's wrong with Intel tho, even you seem to be disappointed in AMD atm.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 00:22:30 »
fffffffffff..  now we gotta keep buying more bull**** intel motherboards

What's wrong with Intel tho, even you seem to be disappointed in AMD atm.

Everybody wants to root for the dark horse.  It's sucky when you need the performance and have to abandon them.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 00:46:27 »
What's wrong with intel is that they have been running around doing whatever they want because AMD is zero threat to them.
We need a competitor in the market because right now intel is pretty much unchallenged.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 09:53:40 »
Hmm.. Apparently some reviewers had got motherboards with pre-production EFI that included old microcode that did not perform as well. It has primarily been with Asus and MSI motherboards where the reviewer didn't do an update before testing. Measurements on Gigabyte motherboards should be fine.

This still does not change anything overall, but it does explain why some reviews show somewhat lower scores than others.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 12:30:52 »
Hmm.. Apparently some reviewers had got motherboards with pre-production EFI that included old microcode that did not perform as well. It has primarily been with Asus and MSI motherboards where the reviewer didn't do an update before testing. Measurements on Gigabyte motherboards should be fine.

This still does not change anything overall, but it does explain why some reviews show somewhat lower scores than others.

The micro code nets maybe 1 to 5% gain.

AMD needs another 20-30% to sway a consumer purchase decision.

I think For productivity though.. Zen is a good move..    BUHHHHHH... I don't see why Intel can't price adjust to match.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 07:05:05 »
They are not people.. they do not exist as you and I exist.

I guess this is the part where I whistle as I slowly walk away...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 08:53:08 »
They are not people.. they do not exist as you and I exist.

I guess this is the part where I whistle as I slowly walk away...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:07:48 »
There is a theory going about that Windows gaming performance on Ryzen could be Windows OS's task scheduler moving threads between cores and between compute-complexes - which would cause unnecessary cache misses. This could explain some of the low core utilization compared to Intel.
It would be interesting to see if this really is an issue and if Microsoft will release a Windows update for Ryzen that would improve performance.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 19:26:07 »
There is a theory going about that Windows gaming performance on Ryzen could be Windows OS's task scheduler moving threads between cores and between compute-complexes - which would cause unnecessary cache misses. This could explain some of the low core utilization compared to Intel.
It would be interesting to see if this really is an issue and if Microsoft will release a Windows update for Ryzen that would improve performance.

the difference is small though.. it doesn't change the picture much..

fingers crossed for a quick refresh..    but AMD NEEDS CASH...

the issue is companies don't refresh their desktop all that often these days, because the last 10 years of i5 and i7s are more than fast enough..

So.... even if zen is a good replacement with more punch... the workplace is still slow to shift..

I hope intel just LETS amd have this opening for at least 2 years..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 01:20:56 »
Another issue brought up; AMD asked testers doing x99 comparisons to nerf a few x99 features that would give Intel an edge. Hearing this just crushed my initial impression of the rendering benchmarks. #sadfaceemoji

My new hope is AMD did this to match a prediction of how performance would be after software development implemented specific Ryzen 7 features (and bios..). Cuz science obviously.
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 01:39:53 »
Another issue brought up; AMD asked testers doing x99 comparisons to nerf a few x99 features that would give Intel an edge. Hearing this just crushed my initial impression of the rendering benchmarks. #sadfaceemoji

My new hope is AMD did this to match a prediction of how performance would be after software development implemented specific Ryzen 7 features (and bios..). Cuz science obviously.

AMD fine wine IS REAL....

but can it net the 25%  AMD needs..

And this 25% is only what AMD needs if Intel does NOTHING..

If intel price adjusts..  there's nothing AMD can do to match besides bail out like 8350.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 07:28:52 »
After reading this, I’m sticking with 7700K. Have not been following the CPU games for years. I’m still using a Quad Core, can you believe it? I waited too long and will finally come on board with Kaby Lake. What’s a good mobo ? That Asus Maximums looked expensive.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 07:30:40 »
the difference is small though.. it doesn't change the picture much..
Oh, you may be confusing it to when people disable SMT. When people did that some games got higher FPS, some games got lower FPS while others were not affected at all.

There is confirmation for the theory now!
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-9#post-38776310

This guy ran a program with 16 (operating system) threads and used a special program to force them to run all on a single compute-complex. That was significantly faster than having them scattered over both compute-complexes.
🍉

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 16:55:52 »
After reading this, I’m sticking with 7700K. Have not been following the CPU games for years. I’m still using a Quad Core, can you believe it? I waited too long and will finally come on board with Kaby Lake. What’s a good mobo ? That Asus Maximums looked expensive.
There's nothing wrong with choosing Intel, it's the "safe" choice here.

Asus ROG line is fantastic, but as you saw, expensive. Gigabyte is another good choice, Asrock is also not bad. For performance you want Z270 chipset.

Follow those, you should do fine.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 17:06:49 »

the more expensive boards have somewhat less buggy bios, because they go through longer validation..

Buhhhhhhhhh in terms of performance, you can get high OCs on all budget boards, because of how little power the chip is using overall..    ontop of the fact that there was little change in the 7xxx series chips, so the overclocking settings and optimizations have been tuned out, refined, and remain unchanged from the 6xxx series .

And unless you have 24/7 loads,  even lower vrm counts on the motherboards won't wear out..

Delid is still the most important aspect of buying intel 7700k..

Offline cribbit

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 17:46:26 »
What's wrong with just buying cheap older gen Intel chips? Still by far the best $$$/performance you can get.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 18:40:21 »
What's wrong with just buying cheap older gen Intel chips? Still by far the best $$$/performance you can get.
Nothing really, they can be an awesome value.
My 2600k was, and still performs fantastic. The person I sold it too, absolutely LOVES it.

Why upgrade then?
I wanted to switch to Mini-ITX and gain USB C and M.2 compatibility. I also wanted better Hackintosh compatibility.
It didn't hurt that after selling the 2600k I essentially got the processor and ram for free, I just had to buy a motherboard.

If you do go older, I don't recommend going older than 2nd gen. and the Z77 chipset. Z68 chipsets work just fine, but the USB 3.0 system is an add-on chip so it's not bootable in many cases (something to keep in mind) and UEFI was also brand new on Z68, most companies were still trying to figure it out and some gave up before getting it fully implemented.

If you go that old, I also recommend I7 and not I5.
While single thread performance isn't any better, hyperthreading and multi-core processing has matured since then, so while at the time of release there wasn't a huge difference between a 2500k and 2600k, that difference has grown since then, meanwhile their resale values have gotten closer, making the I7 a better value than it was when new. And while it's true, most games are still terrible at multi-core, not all are, and as time goes on, they will continue to get better. You may be buying an older processor, but you are still buying it for future use.

Get a 2600K with a Z77 board  and for the most part, the system is relatively modern by today's standards. It won't beat a new I7, but it still has more than has enough power for whatever you are likely to use it for. It may CPU bottleneck trying to game on multiple 4k screens, but if you can afford the video cards for that you can afford a newer processor as well.

Delid is still the most important aspect of buying intel 7700k..

And in my opinion the most moronic thing you can do with one.
"oh look I lowered my temps 1-2 degrees..."

And you risked killing a $300+ chip and voided the warranty, and for what? Wow, you gained a 0.5% increase on a benchmark. You risk a lot for very, very little in return.

If you are riding that overclock line to the extent that 1-2 degrees matter, you're pushing too hard and it WILL bite you at some point.
That said, it's your money.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 20:22:28 »

And you risked killing a $300+ chip and voided the warranty, and for what? Wow, you gained a 0.5% increase on a benchmark. You risk a lot for very, very little in return.

If you are riding that overclock line to the extent that 1-2 degrees matter, you're pushing too hard and it WILL bite you at some point.

hahaha

No, delid is 15-25 Celcius difference for most chips.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 20:59:14 »

hahaha

Intel chips delidding is useful. AMD not so much, for zen.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 21:45:38 »

hahaha

So it's going to drop me below room temp? Wow, Cool!!!
Why oh why did I buy that nice air cooler when I could have just used a stock block?

Temp drop or not, how much extra overclock do you get and what is that worth in terms of real world performance. Can you see it? Can you feel it? Very few things are cpu bottlenecked on a 7700k.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 21:58:41 »

hahaha

So it's going to drop me below room temp? Wow, Cool!!!
Why oh why did I buy that nice air cooler when I could have just used a stock block?

Temp drop or not, how much extra overclock do you get and what is that worth in terms of real world performance. Can you see it? Can you feel it? Very few things are cpu bottlenecked on a 7700k.

we're talking 15-25 Celcius on Load temps for most 7700k after delid.. this has been true since 3xxx series when delid first started.

SOME cpus come a little better, so you won't get as huge a delta,  but 10C off load is guaranteed from ANY delid.

That is significant enough to warrant the trouble..

As for risk.. 

It's not risky unless you're just that clumsy with your hands..  most adults are dexterous enough to pull it off..

As for Can you see it..   4.2 ghz vs 4.8ghz-5ghz is night and day in games..  outside of games, it also responds way faster due to increased memory performance from the OC.. which is substantial

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 22:25:56 »
Lol, no it's not TP.  A vast majority of games are GPU bound for people, not CPU bound.  You may notice a small benefit, but not a vast one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 23:34:32 »
Lol, no it's not TP.  A vast majority of games are GPU bound for people, not CPU bound.  You may notice a small benefit, but not a vast one.

In 100% of games,  minimum framerate is determined by CPU frequency..

What overclocking gives you is not merely raw performance,  but also, a dramatic and NOTICEABLE improvement in gameplay Smoothness.

Both by raising minimum frame rate, AND reducing the probability of micro-stutter.. 

/Digital Connoisseur

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 00:07:40 »

What overclocking gives you is not merely raw performance,  but also, a dramatic and NOTICEABLE improvement in gameplay Smoothness.

Both by raising minimum frame rate, AND reducing the probability of micro-stutter.. 

/Digital Connoisseur

Again, not really TP.  If you look across a swath of games, you'll see that CPU clock speed has marginal impact on minimum framerate.  Look at Battlefield 1, For Honor, Titanfall 3, Gears of War 4, Doom, Dark Souls 3, The Division, Star Wars Battlefront, The Witcher 3, and I could pull up many others and use other sites as well.  There are games that can be CPU bound, generally RTS and some sim games, but you'll typically see a bigger hit from GPU in most games than CPU unless you have a dual core or an older chip...or a Bulldozer.

It can help sometimes with Crossfire or SLI, but it generally is not going to make a huge difference in minimum framerate. 

Any smoothness issues are almost always attributable to the GPU and drivers.  There have been issues in the past where hyperthreading caused scheduling issues, but, again, the CPU is not generally the culprit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2017, 00:11:14 by nubbinator »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 01:25:15 »

/Digital Connoisseur

Again, not really TP.  If you look across a swath of games, you'll see that CPU clock speed has marginal impact on minimum framerate.  Look at Battlefield 1, For Honor, Titanfall 3, Gears of War 4, Doom, Dark Souls 3, The Division, Star Wars Battlefront, The Witcher 3, and I could pull up many others and use other sites as well.  There are games that can be CPU bound, generally RTS and some sim games, but you'll typically see a bigger hit from GPU in most games than CPU unless you have a dual core or an older chip...or a Bulldozer.

It can help sometimes with Crossfire or SLI, but it generally is not going to make a huge difference in minimum framerate. 

Any smoothness issues are almost always attributable to the GPU and drivers.  There have been issues in the past where hyperthreading caused scheduling issues, but, again, the CPU is not generally the culprit.

Take a look at those charts again..

In almost every case the cpu with faster clock speeds or more cores, or NEWER cpu with higher ipc, measured tangible increase in minimum and average framerate.

Now, they don't go into the frametime charts in most games..  But when we look at competitive csgo , there is a HUGE difference in frame times based on cpu frequency..

CS:Go nearly scales linearly with cpu frequency..

the Difference a cpu makes in game is not limited to RTS..   

GPU matters for eyecandy  ,  but the CPU is the glue which puts it all together..

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 00:54:19 »
Meh, it's AMD.  Most every time I went with AMD CPUs in the past when they were competitive, I ended up wishing I'd gone Intel.  Can't see myself having much any interest in trying them again until they're the clear winner at the time I need to buy.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 01:42:55 »
[H]ard|OCP put a review up not too long ago as well. Overall consensus: traditional PC gaming - OCed Intel, VR gaming - Ryzen is totally competitive (VR seems to do very well with utilizing multiple cores), multi-threaded tasking (encoding/decoding/editing) - Ryzen is the price/core winner and competitive regardless due to a well tuned IMC.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:14:17 »
[H]ard|OCP put a review up not too long ago as well. Overall consensus: traditional PC gaming - OCed Intel, VR gaming - Ryzen is totally competitive (VR seems to do very well with utilizing multiple cores), multi-threaded tasking (encoding/decoding/editing) - Ryzen is the price/core winner and competitive regardless due to a well tuned IMC.

Zen @ the 8 core configuration @ $500 is a no go..

They should give us 12 cores @ $500,

for the 8core @ its current performance it should be $250 tops..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 08:56:51 »
Naples is now.
Chris Schammert

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Chris Schammert

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 17:53:54 »
Naples is now.

5 year plan..

Naples is tomorrow..

u mean they built the datacenter already ?

You mentioned a five-year plan and AMD got scured. But seriously, what datacenter? iirc Naples is AMD's new line of server-oriented CPUs
Chris Schammert

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 18:26:07 »

Not arguing that it shouldn't be cheaper to draw in more ppl, but at half (or less than) the price of current 8-core Intel it creates accessible performance gains for multi-threaded tasks that can (more) properly use those extra cores. The increase in IMC performance seems to be the back-bone which Ryzen currently stands on, but unless they can make significant core clock gains in the future, they'll continue to trail further and further behind.

When it comes down to it, Intel needs competition to force them to up their game and/or reduce gouge in their prices; at least AMD is facing the right direction again, they just need a good kick in the pants to really step up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 18:28:00 »

Not arguing that it shouldn't be cheaper to draw in more ppl, but at half (or less than) the price of current 8-core Intel it creates accessible performance gains for multi-threaded tasks that can (more) properly use those extra cores. The increase in IMC performance seems to be the back-bone which Ryzen currently stands on, but unless they can make significant core clock gains in the future, they'll continue to trail further and further behind.

When it comes down to it, Intel needs competition to force them to up their game and/or reduce gouge in their prices; at least AMD is facing the right direction again, they just need a good kick in the pants to really step up.

People should stop comparing PRICE to the 6900k..

Because just because the 6900k is poorly priced,  doesn't justify the 1800x @ $500

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 01:30:22 »

People should stop comparing PRICE to the 6900k..

Because just because the 6900k is poorly priced,  doesn't justify the 1800x @ $500

That's why I wasn't arguing that it shouldn't be cheaper. You can't tell me that price isn't a factor that makes Ryzen more accessible to people that can actually use the extra cores; role and budget determine the parts that go into a build (PC building 101).

Currently looking at [H] and PCPer, it seems that all 3 R7 chips are the same (binned differently, according to AMD based on voltage limitations/efficiency). So even with a possible (and slight, from current test results) clock limitation from 1700 to 1800x, most should look at the 1700 when considering Ryzen R7 for a workstation. That's effectively 1/3 the cost of Intel's current 8-core option, if I'm not mistaken. But, the fact is you should only consider options that meet your needs and are within your budget.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 05:35:01 »
If I can buy a $500 CPU I can probably afford a $1000/+ CPU. The way I see it, a $500 CPU might temp more people into trying a proper eight core CPU for fun or advancing a particular hobby whereas $1000/+ could be seen as a bit steep especially for people that know they won't see monetary gains in a year or sooner.
Chris Schammert

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:29:48 »
Hey, im back. What I miss? I've been watching a few videos and they be saying AMD is back. Is my i7 7700k still ok? My brother is wondering if he should upgrade is his core i7 4790k to one of dem r5 1600x chips when they come out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:50:36 »
Hey, im back. What I miss? I've been watching a few videos and they be saying AMD is back. Is my i7 7700k still ok? My brother is wondering if he should upgrade is his core i7 4790k to one of dem r5 1600x chips when they come out.

NO.. he should not.

the new Zen 8 core optimize very SPECIFIC use case scenarios.

For what constitutes general computing, the intels are still better.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 12:24:33 »

If your chip is anything newer than an i7 2600k you don't have to worry about upgrading this generation. The only reason to do so is if you have the disposable income to spare, desperately want DDR4 or M.2 SSDs, or need one of the new chipset features such as native 4k encoding. From a CPU performance standpoint the 2600k is fine, especially if you did a decent OC to it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 19:44:50 »
Naples is now.

5 year plan..

Naples is tomorrow..

u mean they built the datacenter already ?

You mentioned a five-year plan and AMD got scured. But seriously, what datacenter? iirc Naples is AMD's new line of server-oriented CPUs

well, what i meant was,  the whole getting into servers is going to take 5 years at least, so 5 year plan.. i suppose it was a communication error.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 19:46:09 »

If your chip is anything newer than an i7 2600k you don't have to worry about upgrading this generation. The only reason to do so is if you have the disposable income to spare, desperately want DDR4 or M.2 SSDs, or need one of the new chipset features such as native 4k encoding. From a CPU performance standpoint the 2600k is fine, especially if you did a decent OC to it.

i think 2600k is still good enough if you don't play any competitive games where the new gen would give you a sizable advantage in frame rates.   sandybridge is ~300fps in csgo,  kabylake is ~550-600fps

all the non-competitive games,  higher framerates (at least from the cpu side) isn't necessary

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:03:00 »
Buy a PS4 and a 4k TV...press buttons from bed, don't have to sit upright or spend money on video cards that will be obsolete in 1 year. ;D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:38:08 »
Buy a PS4 and a 4k TV...press buttons from bed, don't have to sit upright or spend money on video cards that will be obsolete in 1 year. ;D

current upgrade cycle is 2.5 years..  hahaha..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:47:54 »

current upgrade cycle is 2.5 years..  hahaha..

Hey, I'm still on a GTX680! THAT'LL TEACH THEM!!! YEA! :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 22:19:44 »
If they would've just priced the 1800x @ $250..  Everything would've went fine.. and the reviews would go, GOD TIER VALUE... Forget Intel, BUY AMD NOW..   but no.. they had to jump @ $500.. sigh.........

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 22:22:10 »
Ryzen is like a mini-van..

Yes it seats more people, can carry more bags than a sports car.. 

BUT,  they've marketed the mini-van to young people, who don't have a family, and shop for 1 person, themselves..

In that way,  there's no reason to buy a mini-van for that market..

AND, now, it's an EXPENSIVE minivan which cost more than a sports car.. sigh.................

What they should've done, is went straight to the people who drove buses, and said,  HEY we got this new Mini-Bus..   buy one..

ALL the bus people would've went, wh000t,  new mini-bus..

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 03:44:03 »

Thanks. My i7 7700k was getting a bit hot at 50 celsius when I was playing stuff like far cry primal and Biowatch Infinite. I dont know if thats normal(Is it?). So my technician friend recommended i trade out my ID Cooling 120L for a x62 kraken 280mm. Im having it shipped but i can cancel it if I should go for something else.

P.S. Im a writer. I don't know much about PCs and frames and stuff.

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 03:46:39 »

NO.. he should not.

the new Zen 8 core optimize very SPECIFIC use case scenarios.

For what constitutes general computing, the intels are still better.

Should he spend his money elsewhere? Like a graphics card? His gtx 970 can still play games like Overwatch, DOOM and Revelations Online on ultra, but should he future proof?

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 08:01:35 »

Thanks. My i7 7700k was getting a bit hot at 50 celsius when I was playing stuff like far cry primal and Biowatch Infinite. I dont know if thats normal(Is it?). So my technician friend recommended i trade out my ID Cooling 120L for a x62 kraken 280mm. Im having it shipped but i can cancel it if I should go for something else.

P.S. Im a writer. I don't know much about PCs and frames and stuff.

50 degrees under load is not high at all. Mine is overclocked and hits 75 degrees or so when under load for a long time and it's fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom KC60