Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186481 times)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 15:23:10 »
How do you guys get the fountain pen to drag less when you write? Just something you need to get used to?

Draw it across the paper, do not push down. Also check the angle at which you are holding the nib.

Offline charlaph

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 18:09:28 »
check the angle at which you are holding the nib.

This. I have a Parker Sonnet which is very sensitive to the angle that it's held between my fingers, anything other than just right and it feels like it's digging into the paper. I have a Sheaffer Prelude with an M nib that is the total opposite. No matter how it's held, nor at what angle, it lays down a lovely wet line of ink. That's my everyday pen.

I have owned many fountain pens over the years, none of them particularly expensive, but various Platinum and Platignum, Pilots, Watermans, lots of different Parkers, the list goes on. I went through a bit of a phase about 5 years ago where almost all of my disposible income went on fountain pens, but in the end I sold them all aside from the Sheaffer and a Baoer 388 (the Sonnet was an 18th birthday present from my father). There's something to be said for some Chinese pens, when you can buy a 5 or 10 pack, cherry pick the very best nib/body/lid/converter, put them all together to build the very best possible example of it's kind, perfectly suited to your writing preferences and then sell off all the others to end up with a near-perfect pen which will have cost you pennies, or maybe even made you some money. I love that Baoer, but I bought it when I was determined to like fine nibs, and now that I've expanded my ink buying I find I prefer a wider line. Go figure.

As for pencils, well I'm all about the mechanical pencils. I studied mechanical engineering in university, and it was long enough ago that we still did the proper technical drawing course as well as CAD, and that developed my respect for Rotring. I actually lost my oldest Rotring pencil not long before christmas which I was quite cut up about, so now I carry a cheapish Pilot in my diary as my default, but it's a similar story, I've owned many over the years but I find that all I care about it the weighting and the width of the barrel. I can appreciate a nicely made pencil, but it doesn't add as much to the experience of using it if it's made of exotic materials, so again I sold loads. I now have just a Steadler of some sort and the Pilot, although I fancy trying one of the newer Rotrings to see how it compares to the memory of my old one.

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:08:02 »
Does anyone have a Namiki Vanishing point? Tried the search but nothing really came up. I wanted to get someone's opinion on it. I wanted that fountain pen for 4 years and I'm going back to school pretty soon so I need to hit up on some school supplies.

Offline histevenhere

• Student
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 05:52:24 »
Has to be this one: https://www.boker.de/us/tactical-pen/09BO085.html

It's part of my EDC, I love the look and feel of it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 09:37:03 by zeroni13 »
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:48:43 »
For pencils, it has to be my Derwent box of love with 24 different types of graphite.  :-*
As for a pen, it has to be the Parker I'm pretty sure vun gots 4 me.  ;)
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:08:35 »

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline lowmagnet

« Reply #407 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 20:24:49 »
I use a Rotring 600 pencil and a Rotring Rapid Pro ballpoint almost exclusively. Keep them on me at all times.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 20:34:47 »
in the shower? you're dedicated.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #409 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 12:17:01 »
Quote from: Quarzac;610947
That link isn't working for me.

the link got cropped some how.

Try this one:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grifiti/tagtool-stylus-mechanical-pencil-and-pens

(Attachment Link) 52920[/ATTACH]
That must be the pen that has most bang for the buck ive seen.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline mindoculus

« Reply #410 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 11:19:20 »
Just purchased another Uniball Signo 207, 0.7mm, blue ink.

I prefer them narrower, but this has a smokey gel grip with a translucent blue shaft underneath
and white plastic ends.

Similar to this ---> http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-ball-Signo-207-Retractable-Gel-Ink-Pen-0.7-mm-Purple/pd/6234

So nice.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #411 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:14:00 »
Just got a Twsbi Diamond Mini, what are some good, relatively inexpensive inks?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #412 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:45:06 »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #413 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:51:38 »
Just got a Twsbi Diamond Mini, what are some good, relatively inexpensive inks?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Bottled_Ink_s/808.htm

personal favorite:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Air_Corp_Blue_Black_Ink_3oz_p/n19040.htm

if you want samples:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Ink_Samples_s/1216.htm

they do samples for all their inks IIRC.

all their inks:
http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_s/1198.htm

samples for all their inks:
http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pen_Ink_Samples_s/851.htm

Awesome, thanks. I know it would depend a lot on the amount of writing done, but how long does a 3oz bottle typically last?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #414 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:56:10 »
i've had mine for a year, not even half way done. But, as you said, I probably don't write that much compared to others.

Offline TostedAlmond

« Reply #415 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 11:25:52 »
I use my Rotring 600 and a Uni Shift as my pencils. I use a Lamy Safari or a Parker Jotter for my pens.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #416 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 11:34:29 »
I recently got a Rotring 800 .05mm mechanical pencil off of massdrop. So glad I spent the money on it. It's by far the best pencil I have ever used!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #417 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 10:15:31 »
Does anyone have a Namiki Vanishing point? Tried the search but nothing really came up. I wanted to get someone's opinion on it. I wanted that fountain pen for 4 years and I'm going back to school pretty soon so I need to hit up on some school supplies.

Ball point + light notebook..

F... everything else...

Offline iri

« Reply #418 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:01:30 »
this is a good pen. i sold it because it was a bit too slippery for my hands.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #419 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:22:46 »
I recently got a Rotring 800 .05mm mechanical pencil off of massdrop. So glad I spent the money on it. It's by far the best pencil I have ever used!

0.5 mm *

Offline kohi

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 19:16:43 »
pilot g2 0.38mm
zebra m301 ;D

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 19:25:10 »
I've been using a Staedtler 925 25-05 this year and I really like it!

Very nice quality and wasn't that expensive. I like the weight of it.

Offline YummyTreeSap

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 21:32:15 »
I have two Lamy Safari pens that I am rather fond of—one extra fine, one fine.  The fine one is lime green and currently contains Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji:

The other one is graphite colored and currently contains a purple ink cartridge from Lamy.  I’ve attempted using Noodler’s Black, but it really did poorly with the EF nib in my graphite Safari.  It was better in the F nib pen, but it dried a bit too slowly for me (I’m left-handed).  Wasn’t too fond of it.  REALLY love the Pilot Iroshizuku, though.  More than I’d like to admit spending on ink, but it’s dang nice.

I’ve also got a set of Rotring technical pens that I own because they were in my college bookstore years ago, and I was an 18 year-old who was given a school debit card, and hey, why use it for food when there’s cool pens to be bought?  I let them sit around too much while I was in college though, so they’re not in the greatest condition.  I need to clean them out pretty badly, but it’s a real pain.

I’d like to get a nicer mech. pencil one of these days, but I don’t really have much of a reason to have one anymore.  Then again, impracticality never stopped me from buying things.  :D

Offline feizor

« Reply #423 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:04:27 »
I've been using Pilot V7 for a few years now. I think v5 is similar but thinner. Much better than G2

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #424 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:34:34 »
Favorite pen for EDC notes/writing text: TiPeN with Mont Blanc fineliner refill.

Seriously, it's better than everything else out there for jotting down notes and other things involving text.

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #425 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:36:49 »
Favorite for drafting/technical writing or taking notes that involve figures or precise mathematics:

Ti2 Pen with the Pilot Hi-Tec-C refill. 0.4mm is my preferred size, but try 'em all.

Most precise line I've ever seen out of a pen, and the feel is like a pencil (very direct coupling to the paper). You do need to prime this refill after periods of disuse. The Mont Blanc mentioned above beats it for silky feel when just text is desired, though.

Offline Tetsuo

• GERMAN ENGINEERING
« Reply #426 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 13:51:32 »
The Zebra M-301 0.5mm, nothing fancy, but I bought it back in 2004, lightly abused it for the past 10 years, and it still works today.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 10:01:59 »
Also, looking for recommendations on nice fountain pens.

Lamy Safari was the first one I bought. tjcaustin seems very fond of his Pilot Metropolitan. Demik loves the Twibsi.

Twsbi*

Which TWSBI? One of the Vac700's?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #428 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 10:03:49 »
Think demik had a TWSBI 580 or Mini.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #429 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 10:04:24 »
I hated the TWSBI VAC 700.

A friend photographed my pens and pencil:

Show Image

What was wrong with it?  I was considering buying one.

Offline D01

« Reply #430 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 10:13:33 »
I like my Lamy All Star's and use them the most.  My favorite is my clear TWSBI Mini, I take it everywhere.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:07:47 »
I hated the TWSBI VAC 700.

A friend photographed my pens and pencil:

Show Image

What was wrong with it?  I was considering buying one.

Basically for me.. I didn't tune to the t-mini because it doesn't give me as much control unposted..

and posted, it feels awkward because that makes it quite thick at the top and the weight balance felt odd..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #432 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:09:48 »
I have two Lamy Safari pens that I am rather fond of—one extra fine, one fine.  The fine one is lime green and currently contains Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji:

Show Image

The other one is graphite colored and currently contains a purple ink cartridge from Lamy.  I’ve attempted using Noodler’s Black, but it really did poorly with the EF nib in my graphite Safari.  It was better in the F nib pen, but it dried a bit too slowly for me (I’m left-handed).  Wasn’t too fond of it.  REALLY love the Pilot Iroshizuku, though.  More than I’d like to admit spending on ink, but it’s dang nice.

I’ve also got a set of Rotring technical pens that I own because they were in my college bookstore years ago, and I was an 18 year-old who was given a school debit card, and hey, why use it for food when there’s cool pens to be bought?  I let them sit around too much while I was in college though, so they’re not in the greatest condition.  I need to clean them out pretty badly, but it’s a real pain.

I’d like to get a nicer mech. pencil one of these days, but I don’t really have much of a reason to have one anymore.  Then again, impracticality never stopped me from buying things.  :D

Here's the thing with those inks..  Unless you're female... you can't get away with anything other than Blue   Black  or Dark Green...

If you use any other color... no one would take you seriously...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #433 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:14:13 »
And I see the parade continues where non-drafters use drafting pencils..

Guys...  drafting pencils are balanced and designed for Drafting... 

This means:

drawing straight lines...

heavy at the base   and heavy overall

It makes no sense to WRITE with  a drafting pencil...

Smooth writing (with pencil)  is best with a softer lead, and LIGHTest weight possible.

the reason for light weight is because pencil generally require much greater pressure than pen..

And when you're applying a great deal of pressure, you end up building up momentum which makes it hard to change direction..

Lower weight, lowers that build up. and makes sure the tip behaves the way YOU intend...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #434 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:34:21 »
Here's the thing with those inks..  Unless you're female... you can't get away with anything other than Blue   Black  or Dark Green...

I use pink and purple ink at work. Guess no one takes my work seriously.

This means:

Funny thing about drafting, there's a lot of writing text involved.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #435 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:52:20 »
Received this Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique as a gift yesterday

More

Soooo much smoother than my TWSBI mini  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #436 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 14:05:13 »

I use pink and purple ink at work. Guess no one takes my work seriously.

This means:

Funny thing about drafting, there's a lot of writing text involved.

that's a different type of writing...  more like markups..

writing not drafting markups, is perhaps notes, a journal, lengthy manuscripts,  or calligraphy.

Drafting is..  an 8 and 2 tick marks..   

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #437 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 14:06:25 »

More
Show Image

I want a Meisterstuck as a gift! :(

writing not drafting markups, is perhaps notes, a journal, lengthy manuscripts,  or calligraphy.

You've obviously never done drafting work on long drawings lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #438 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 15:42:33 »

More
Show Image

My point is that light weight, soft leaded pencils is BEST as far as pencils, for writing..

and the typical drafting pencil is not ideal for such tasks.

This does not conflict or has anything to do with the fact that... When you're drafting, due to the potentially combination nature of drawing lines and small segments of written markups.. it'd be inconvenient to switch tools...

my statement only applies to the kiddies using drafting pencils to WRITE, when they do not at all draft..

Writing during drafting is no explanation or at all counter to my argument..  You've misplaced your angst in defense of the drafting pencil...

Offline brainT

« Reply #439 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 17:10:04 »

More
Show Image

My point is that light weight, soft leaded pencils is BEST as far as pencils, for writing..

This does not conflict or has anything to do with the fact that... When you're drafting, due to the potentially combination nature of drawing lines and small segments of written markups.. it'd be inconvenient to switch tools...

my statement only applies to the kiddies using drafting pencils to WRITE, when they do not at all draft..

Writing during drafting is no explanation or at all counter to my argument..  You've misplaced your angst in defense of the drafting pencil...

Offline iri

« Reply #440 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 01:34:28 »
Unless you're female... you can't get away with anything other than Blue   Black  or Dark Green...

*iri spits in tp4's eyes

-Ray Bradbury

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #441 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 02:42:47 »
not sure if this brand is available in other places but one of the best pens I've used is from gsoft.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 16:30:08 »
not sure if this brand is available in other places but one of the best pens I've used is from gsoft.

Problem with the Gel I've found is.. many times.. even after they dry.. they can streak/ blur..

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #443 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 21:36:27 »

Problem with the Gel I've found is.. many times.. even after they dry.. they can streak/ blur..

This isn't gel based btw.

We'll yeah gel problems. Need to be very freaking dry before you can close your book. And left handlers like me hate gel pens if they don't dry up fast

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #444 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 15:43:25 »

More
Show Image

soft lead for me............

trying to write with anything else on architectural drawings is pointless........
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Naga

• DansGame Hello?
« Reply #445 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:39:51 »
I only use 1 pen at school and It's the Uni Jetstream 4&1 4 Color 0.7 mm Ballpoint Multi Pen. You can buy it at Jetpens.com. I use it to make notes.

Also I think these highlighters are amazing for notes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #446 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:42:26 »
I only use 1 pen at school and It's the Uni Jetstream 4&1 4 Color 0.7 mm Ballpoint Multi Pen. You can buy it at Jetpens.com. I use it to make notes.

Also I think these highlighters are amazing for notes.

jetstream's fairly solid...  although when it comes to ball point... I think 0.7mm tends to glob a bit more ..  this is especially true of uniball jetstream and zebra surari  inks because they're designed to run smooth, therefore more of it comes out kinda like gel pens.

Offline poeee

« Reply #447 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 03:01:25 »
Uni Kuro Toga mechanical pencil.  It's what I use almost exclusively at work.  I do need to invest in one with a rubber/gel grip though.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:32:01 »
I like the Pilot G2 the most for now...but like the quick drying Uniball Jetstream though..

I just made a mod with the Pilot G2 into the Lamy Swift + a mod with the Uniball Jetstream into the Lamy All-Star. Can make a video is there is interest.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #449 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 08:45:13 »
Been using a Rotring 600 for almost a month now. Endgame mechanical pencil :D