Author Topic: Witness the Birth of Change  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
Witness the Birth of Change
« on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 17:43:23 »
As you may already know, I'm new here and I own a rubber dome keyboard. Don't facepalm yet as this will all change in April. I'm looking for cherry blues so cherry lovers rejoice and topre lovers give mutual happiness that I at least acknowledge that mechanical is better. I will be taking opinions and advice here as well as giving updates on the new board. (So feel free to say "get a topre" to get some self-satisfaction) Some of the basics I have figured out so far are: Razor is lulz, QFR is for noobs, Ducky and Filco are probably better, and anything under $250 is not worthy of the fingertips of the leetz. I have a led keyboard now which I think I'm getting used to enough that I'm not sure if I could go with non-led. However it might can be forfeited. I value quality and keep my boards in good shape but I'm not ready to dive in with the elitist with a $250 board. For now I'm probably not going to mod it in any way. Just looking to jump on board with the clicky's :)
I'll be sure to post pics when I get something. All advice is welcomed and personal opinions, but I'm pretty stuck on cherry blues so keep that in mind.

Thanks a lot :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Witness the Birth of Change
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 17:46:05 »
filco

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 17:57:05 »
Who said QFR is for noobs? Don't fall victim to the ridiculousness. First of all, if you're like most of us here, this won't be your only keyboard. A QFR has good enough quality. If you read most opinions here, there isn't much reason these days to get a Filco over a QFR. The ONLY reason to get a Ducky is LED lighting. Get the QFR and save yourself the money.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:03:13 »
Who said QFR is for noobs? Don't fall victim to the ridiculousness. First of all, if you're like most of us here, this won't be your only keyboard. A QFR has good enough quality. If you read most opinions here, there isn't much reason these days to get a Filco over a QFR. The ONLY reason to get a Ducky is LED lighting. Get the QFR and save yourself the money.

And if you want LEDs and QFR, you might as well wait for the QF Rapid i (intelligent?) that could be coming onto shelves beginning of Q2 (i.e. around April)
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:04:51 »
QFRs have a rubber coating on the case, Filcos do not. This is one of the main reasons why I chose Filco.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:13:22 »
If it's your first board, you'll really be fine with whatever. QFRs are perfectly acceptable, and I can attest to Ducky build quality.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:21:45 »
If you're looking at spending more than $250 then do consider Topre :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:23:01 »
just get an hhkb and quit whiel u can
I love Elzy

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:28:11 »
Get a realforce 55G.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:31:04 »
I also really like my QFR. While it does have some flaws (not a fan of the keycaps), for the price it is great.
RETIRED

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 18:34:31 »
I'd recommend getting something smaller than a full size board if you can give up the numpad. It feels a lot better to have the board more centered on your body and to not have to stretch to your mouse. I've been using a Matias quiet mini pro for a couple weeks and the difference is really nice. Also, if you think you're into clicky switches, there are some options other than Cherry MX. Matias makes some boards with clicky switches.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:02:00 »
Being your first mech board, I second the opinions on starting as cheap as you can get away with, as the chances are you will purchase another board at some stage - probably to experience a different switch. There's nothing worse than spending up big on your first board only to discover that you're not a huge fan of that switch type, so you buy another board (but cut back on the outlay) and end up boxing the expensive board in preference of the second or third (or fourth etc) cheaper board.

The QFR or Ducky Zero are solid first time options. Both manufacturers have numpadless form factor options.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:26:37 »
the fact that like basically 75% of the QFRs on GH are heavily modded really shouldn't be sending the message "nooby keyboard"
you shouldn't be applying the term "noob" to a keyboard at all

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:36:08 »
the fact that like basically 75% of the QFRs on GH are heavily modded really shouldn't be sending the message "nooby keyboard"
you shouldn't be applying the term "noob" to a keyboard at all

I think price is the distinction. Someone who hasn't thoroughly tried a variety of mechanical switches has no way of knowing what switch they should invest in. Financial intelligence would lead anyone to strongly advise against spending $200 on a keyboard that may end up collecting dust. But hey, if you have a high disposable income, you might not mind spending $1k on keyboards until you're completely happy with one (or maybe you're like me and like changing things up from time to time.

There is nothing wrong with the QFR or Ducky Zero that suggests one could not or should not be fully satisfied with either, but if you are geek enough (or obsessive enough, perhaps), you will probably end up wanting a Rols Royce or Ferrari instead of the VW or Honda one day. Maybe you'll try 3 Hondas before finally deciding to get a Ferrari, maybe the first Honda was exactly what you were looking for. Who knows. I could go on all day with useless analogiesl :D

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:21:55 »
dude what are you even saying?
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:38:25 »

Best advice in the thread, will save you money long term. I started on mechs 4 years ago with a 6gv2 and have since owned an X-Armor, DAS, Ducky Shine, QFR and now a Topre 60%. With the benefit of hindsight you come to realize that one $300 purchase is a lot less than $150 incremental buys. hahaha.

For serious advice though, no board will be bad, but if you want to buy one and not feel the constant desire to switch up I'd probably buy a switch tester to determine your preference and then snag a Filco TKL if I was going to buy one cherry board, or a Ducky Shine TKL if backlight is important.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:41:42 by Dyslexic »
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:40:42 »
just get an acidfire custom and quite while you can.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 13:55:31 »

There's no quitting...

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 14:50:40 »
For serious advice though … I'd probably buy a switch tester to determine your preference…

This! Seriously! Spending $20 or $30 bucks can save a lot more down the road.

I used mine to settle on blues for the keyboard I'm currently using (TECK), and ergo clears for AcidFire's project when it's ready. It's also been helpful in general experimentation without messing up an actual keyboard.

just get an acidfire custom and quite while you can.

He's creating some serious pent up demand!

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 14:51:44 »

Best advice in the thread, will save you money long term. I started on mechs 4 years ago with a 6gv2 and have since owned an X-Armor, DAS, Ducky Shine, QFR and now a Topre 60%. With the benefit of hindsight you come to realize that one $300 purchase is a lot less than $150 incremental buys. hahaha.

For serious advice though, no board will be bad, but if you want to buy one and not feel the constant desire to switch up I'd probably buy a switch tester to determine your preference and then snag a Filco TKL if I was going to buy one cherry board, or a Ducky Shine TKL if backlight is important.

yah but pcb mounted browns are better than topre
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 14:55:22 »

Incoming!!    :: ducks for cover ::   :o

Unfortunately, Topres don't seem to available for switch tester setups, custom keyboards, or ergonomic keyboards.

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 15:01:41 »

Unfortunately, Topres don't seem to available for switch tester setups, custom keyboards, or ergonomic keyboards.

Hah, I'm so not taking that bait. :) I enjoy my topres, much like I enjoyed my keyboards with MX Reds and Browns. I just enjoy my topre more. As someone who bottoms out no matter what switch I use, the thock is incredibly satisfying.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 15:29:34 »
Clicky Matias.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:03:13 »

Hah, I'm so not taking that bait. :) I enjoy my topres, much like I enjoyed my keyboards with MX Reds and Browns. I just enjoy my topre more. As someone who bottoms out no matter what switch I use, the thock is incredibly satisfying.

Amen. I heard lofty, majestic music in my head while reading this.

Offline skuko

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:33:18 »
QFRs have a rubber coating on the case, Filcos do not. This is one of the main reasons why I chose Filco.

another reason (for me) is that filcos actually have the "menu" button next to right CTRL instead of the FN (yeah i'm used to use the menu button instead of right clicking in many cases)

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 08:28:22 »
Some of the basics I have figured out so far are: Razor is lulz, QFR is for noobs, Ducky and Filco are probably better, and anything under $250 is not worthy of the fingertips of the leetz.

Say less silly things, try more keyboards, form your own opinions.

I like topre, I like MX, i like ALPs, I like BS - I like them all :) I have CM keyboards, I have sold all the filco's I've ever owned, likewise with Ducky's. Different strokes for different folks, but it's best to make your own opinions on such as you are the only one that has to type with your hands on your keyboards, and as long as your hands are having a great time, then, doesn't really matter what old matey said on the internet.

I think my favourite keyboard to actually do lots of typing on is my Dell AT101w, it's just a shame it barely fits on my desk. (black alps board)
I got boards.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:59:23 »
QFRs are for heavy modders of the /r/MechanicalKeyboards realm, heh.

I recommend to get an used Cherry G80-something keyboard for cheap, experience the PBT/POM/doubleshot goodness out of the box, play a bit with PCB-mounted switches... and as soon as you realize your preferences, get your end-game board: recover something vintage or build a custom keyboard of your choice.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:05:35 »
I think I should make a comment about when I say things like "razor is lulz". I'm being a bit sarcastic and a little lighthearted so don't take it as cold fact. I will let people know that I am looking into a TKL but I am also keeping the CM quickfire TK as an option because it's only 1 inch longer. I have noticed myself using the numpad enter key as much if not more then the normal one although I barely use the numpad at all lol so I would be kinda sad to see it go. I'm looking to wait until the QFR-I comes out and check out the price between it and the TK. I'm also keeping the Ducky Zero and Filco Majestouch-2 on heavy consideration since I have "heard"(not to be confused with fact :) ) it's like a level up from CM. So from what I have seen so far it will be one of these boards. 

Offline badman5

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 23:08:25 »
I am kinda in the same boat. I looking for a keyboard to replace my stock slim Dell keyboard (great kb btw for a stock, nice media buttons and all). I probably won't mod it either thou i may get some custom key caps. So far im thinking on the RGB Corsair but i'm very picky just like you guys so i know you'l help me out. I have much to learn thou.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 00:20:03 »
I would have to agree with the QFR.  Start cheap-ish.  Unless it is from Razor or is an iOne OEM build for the most part you are not going to get a crap keyboard once you get into the realm of mech boards.  I know some people here do have Razers and have had good luck with them.  They just seem to have a higher/quicker failure rate than others that are bought and sold here in the classifieds.  I currently own a Costar built Das (before the media key fiasco), bought my aunt and uncle a ducky non backlit with reds and a Unicomp buckling spring, bought my wife a Filco TKL with blacks, and am currently working on a custom keyboard of my own design and layout.  The Das was not the cheapest but I didn't know any better or I would have bought a QFR for my first board.  I then worked my way up the price chain and have learned what I like in a board. 

For me it is a very heavy solid feeling.  If you want to see how far I am going with that check the M-64 link in my signature.  For the record I am at almost $400 into this thing and I haven't had plates cut yet (almost $200 for switch plate quote), and I am milling the case myself.  I have also changed my switch of choice a couple times.

So I will say start cheaper with a QFR and work your way up from there.  When you are done with a board if it is still in good condition you can most likely resell it here for a very good portion of what you bought it for as it seems that most boards don't lose much value especially if you have clear switches as those are a bit tougher to find in a store bought keyboard.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 03:37:14 »
Get the one with the TK only. If I wanted something with cherry, that would be it. I think that's how saving space should be done in the first place, because it still retains all functionality. IIRC even the arrows are inverse T at the bottom.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 15:16:08 »
Updated news! I got a quickfire rapid cherry reds for 2 hours drive time and $35. Used for about a day and brand new. The bad news: He "was" selling a cm quickfire pro with cherry browns for $30 and he didn't tell me that until I drove an hour to meet him. He may be a con artist but I figured $35 for a QFR come on still nice. I can tell you I don't really like the reds for typing (I bottom out every time like a Plymouth Duster going 45 in a turn.) and I'm still in the market for blues but this was a good opportunity to test the quality of the CM brand and hey maybe I would like reds? Considering the key caps I don't like the way the lettering is raised. It makes me want to scratch it off like it's a piece of dirt. Are the stock caps for Ducky or Filco like this? I'm definitely going to need stronger resistance than the reds. But hey, It is at least a temporary back up mech keyboard for $35 O.o The quality and heaviness of the keyboard is well enough and I'm definitely getting a
TKL unless I got with the CM TK. But now since I have a CM board I kinda want to "Upgrayedd". Thoughts?                             

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 15:55:35 »
All advice is welcomed and personal opinions, but I'm pretty stuck on cherry blues so keep that in mind.

Does size matter? -> Full Size, TKL, 60%

If you like MX Blue, you might also want to have a look at the Matias lineups. Their switches are similar to MX Blue in a better way and also quieter :-)

So in Blue, I'd go with Filco, Ducky, Deck (Best backlit keycaps on the market) or even Cherry themselves.

Non MX Blue but worth looking: Topre, Matias, Unicomp
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline geniekid

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 16:14:23 »
Updated news! I got a quickfire rapid cherry reds for 2 hours drive time and $35. Used for about a day and brand new. The bad news: He "was" selling a cm quickfire pro with cherry browns for $30 and he didn't tell me that until I drove an hour to meet him. He may be a con artist but I figured $35 for a QFR come on still nice. I can tell you I don't really like the reds for typing (I bottom out every time like a Plymouth Duster going 45 in a turn.) and I'm still in the market for blues but this was a good opportunity to test the quality of the CM brand and hey maybe I would like reds? Considering the key caps I don't like the way the lettering is raised. It makes me want to scratch it off like it's a piece of dirt. Are the stock caps for Ducky or Filco like this? I'm definitely going to need stronger resistance than the reds. But hey, It is at least a temporary back up mech keyboard for $35 O.o The quality and heaviness of the keyboard is well enough and I'm definitely getting a
TKL unless I got with the CM TK. But now since I have a CM board I kinda want to "Upgrayedd". Thoughts?                             

Show Image

Grats on your new board.  The first thing I did with my QFR was get new keycaps.  The second thing was to install O-rings.  The third thing was to install a programmable controller.  Other possible mods include sanding the rubber case top and spray painting it, replacing the plate (which is an amazing plate to begin with) with one that allows for switch top removal, and modding the switches themselves with stickers/lube/springs/tops. 

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 16:25:55 »
Bottoming out is not as bad a thing as made out, especially not on linear switches. You can avoid bottoming out on reds if you really want to - the easiest way being to download a key click emulator so you can hear the switch activate.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:46:26 »

Show Image

Congratulations - good price too!

Reds are way too light for me, I prefer blacks or greens.

Some manufacturers skim on keycaps because so many people just replace them when they get the keyboard.  I haven't seen many QRF around here with the standard keycaps.

You could replace the springs in the switches you have, but you'd have to desolder all of them and so might as well swap switches at the same time.  Or keep the QFR as it is, and offer it as part trade for something else.

Or even just keep it as a display board for spare keycap sets.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 21:58:58 »
I am not a keyboard pro. As far as modding goes and desoldering that's something I don't know enough about to go through with it right now. TBH it was more about testing cherry reds and checking the quality of the CM brand. I've really narrowed it down to 3 different boards for now and I'll give some links:

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MC-EB2/dp/B004WOF7S0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396320662&sr=8-3&keywords=filco

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129012

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=664

I'm sure there are better but for now this is where I want to start. I don't miss my numpad but I sure miss my return key on it :) I've already hit my right arrow a few times waiting for something to happen :o  Want do you guys things about these boards in comparison to each other?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:13:22 »
I am not a keyboard pro. As far as modding goes and desoldering that's something I don't know enough about to go through with it right now. TBH it was more about testing cherry reds and checking the quality of the CM brand. I've really narrowed it down to 3 different boards for now and I'll give some links:

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MC-EB2/dp/B004WOF7S0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1396320662&sr=8-3&keywords=filco

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129012

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=664

I'm sure there are better but for now this is where I want to start. I don't miss my numpad but I sure miss my return key on it :) I've already hit my right arrow a few times waiting for something to happen :o  Want do you guys things about these boards in comparison to each other?

zomg.  I can see your future.  wait for it . . . You will end up with all three.  And a Poker X.  And a Cherry G80-1800.  And a dozen sets of double-shot ABS keycaps.   

Just get a Topre now.  Stop the madness.  I know you can't hear me anymore.  But I tried.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:27:34 »
disregard cherry

acquire hhkb
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:40:44 »
IBM Model F 122. :)
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 02:08:01 »
If I was forced to choose between those three, then it would be the CM TK. But I'd certainly choose other things over that. I rotate a bunch of older stuff though.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:17:05 »
Update* I have decided since having some time with my QFR reds that I don't really need LEDs. I actually take off certain keycaps because I don't use them and it's just easier for me not to use them that way. So having an individual LED on each switch would blind my eyes if the cap was permanently off. So taking a step back and continuing my search some more options Ex: Ducky Zero. I am still wanting TKL and cherry blues however. So all bets are off the table if you want to chime in. (No Topre's yet I know I haven't seen the light yet.) I'm looking for a $130 budget if I can spare it. (And I know there is a possibility of custom LED profiles on certain models so that's a plus too.) Thanks.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:27:55 »
Clicky Matias.

Still has NKRO and everything.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:32:14 »
We need more Keycools!

Get a Keycool!

Everyone should get a Keycool and do what the international economy is doing and embrace the presence of China :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:32:49 »
We need more Keycools!

Get a Keycool!

Everyone should get a Keycool and do what the international economy is doing and embrace the presence of China :)

get an older model keycool

newer ones are **** compared to their older gen products

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:42:21 »
Guys.....  You know what keyboard is Totally NOT--N00b ?

Errrrrrrggggggg.........  ssssssssssssssssssssss

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 06:45:02 »
Update* I have decided since having some time with my QFR reds that I don't really need LEDs. I actually take off certain keycaps because I don't use them and it's just easier for me not to use them that way. So having an individual LED on each switch would blind my eyes if the cap was permanently off.
You do not say whether you are a hard core gamer,  which  can affect your switch choices.
I would be careful buying any keyboard right now ( and I will be shopping soon ) . Cherry's patents have expired and there is at least one clone maker Kailh out there. The story for now is that the stems are made of cheaper plastic, more prone to breakage. In the future Kailhs and other clones maybe considered better or as good (but less expensive), but for now they are are untested.

This has significance because Razer has announced they are now using "their  own" switches. In reality these are probably Kailhs. CM is listed as a partner.  One keyboard that is quiet confusing is the TT eSport Poseiden /Poseidon Z. The Poseidon comes with Cherry and the Z comes with Kaiths.

If you stick with Cherry's though, I see no reason a plain keyboard should be more then $150. For more then that you really need some fancy gimicks, like the Corsair RGB.

You can even find a good keyboard for less then $100.  If you can find a Poseidon it is backlit with Cherry and selss for around $99.
Rosewill makes a non back lit keyboard for around $90 often even less.  The RK-9000. Though there are problems with the miniUSB port. If you're handy with a soldering iron you should be able to put in a replacement. Better yet, use the solution suggested by "he who cannot be named on this forum" in a post: http://imgur.com/a/V1itR/noscript
and use an L adaptor taped to the keyboard like: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Right-Charger-Adapter-Mini-USB/dp/B000FHBEFS/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397703273&sr=8-1-spell

I would also say do not pull the keycaps, that leaves big holes that can be disoriented as I learned. Instead just remap the key to something else.

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 06:47:32 »
We need more Keycools!

Get a Keycool!

Why not a Monoprice?

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:36:16 »
We need more Keycools!

Get a Keycool!

Your post on Keycool interests me. I looked into the Keycool 84, now to just find it in stock with cherry blues...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:50:55 »

Your post on Keycool interests me. I looked into the Keycool 84, now to just find it in stock with cherry blues...

Yeees, give in :D

Try aliexpress or PM user xuanwumen
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin