Author Topic: What's your smartphone ?  (Read 141338 times)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
Re: What's your smartphone ?
« Reply #900 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 18:57:47 »
Finally dumped the iPhone 4.

Loving this Nexus 5, it's better in every single way. I don't foresee I'll be switching too soon. T Mobile isn't as bad as I've heard as well, and I'm coming from Verizon.

Games I've got on it are just Sonic Dash, GTA Vice City and Heroes of Order & Chaos.

Post 666 o_o
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Glissant

« Reply #901 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 21:05:45 »

Offline blackbox

« Reply #902 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 07:22:29 »
Nice! Didnt know Tyrion used a oneplus one
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #903 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 14:08:03 »

IPHONE 6
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #904 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 22:25:52 »
Show Image

Hahaha.  That's great.

How do you like the phone so far?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ajx

« Reply #905 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 01:47:56 »
Z3 Compact, very good smartphone, waterproof, huge battery life due to its high battery capacity, beautiful design, 4'6 (perfect size imo)  :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #906 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 06:15:54 »
Z3 Compact, very good smartphone, waterproof, huge battery life due to its high battery capacity, beautiful design, 4'6 (perfect size imo)  :p

Show Image

Yeah have to agree that phone is super cool looking!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #907 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 15:27:55 »
Saw Apple presentation.

Confirmed:
iPhone 6....4.7"....128GB....black.

Take my money.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #908 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:00:24 »
any idea when phones will be released that aren't bland moneygrabs?  Wait there probably are nice phones but I'm on VZW :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline iri

« Reply #909 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:03:11 »
phew, 5.5" version exists.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #910 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:04:03 »
I got a Note3 recently... I don't know how to use it, but I'm learning!

The last "smart" phone I had before this, was the T Mobile sidekick lol
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #911 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:13:30 »

Damn, that is a big jump, Maow.  :eek: Why did it take you so long to get a new smart phone?  Just never felt the need?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #912 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:28:36 »
Show Image

Hahaha.  That's great.

How do you like the phone so far?

The phone is very good hardware wise. And the sandstone case is an interesting touch. I also like the way the screen "floats" in the frame.
There is only one downside for me, and it's quite annoying at times; The Oneplus One is a little too tall for me.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #913 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:29:19 »

Damn, that is a big jump, Maow.  :eek: Why did it take you so long to get a new smart phone?  Just never felt the need?
lol, between the sidekick and Note3 I went back to my trusty old nokia brick... I never used my phone anyway and I got sick of carrying the sidekick. Plus I used to skateboard A LOT, so I was always worried about breaking it or I would forget it at the park. Friends always coming by the house to bring me my sidekick... I never had to worry about the nokia, so I carried that for about nine years.... something like that.

You should have seen the guys face when he asked "so what phone do you have now... looking to upgrade?"

*whips out the brick

:)) :)) :))
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #914 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 16:39:07 »
Damn, that is crazy.  :))  No way I'd ever be able to keep a phone that long.  :-X

Offline iri

« Reply #915 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 03:09:23 »
looks like not that many apple fanboys here haha.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #916 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 03:18:20 »
looks like not that many apple fanboys here haha.

Wouldn't they only be here once a year? ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #917 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 03:24:34 »
this is that time of the year.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #918 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 03:26:20 »
Your a couple of weeks early :P I'll be getting a new iPhone just gotta wait till I can preorder one!

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #919 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 04:19:10 »
Who use blackberry like me ?

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #920 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 05:06:16 »
Who use blackberry like me ?

Had a string of 'em for a while.  Actually really liked them.

Offline iri

« Reply #921 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 06:46:04 »
Your a couple of weeks early :P
my what is a couple of weeks early? :P i think i'll be getting the new iphone as well, since my other probable choice, Jolla, has unknown sim card size and too small screen.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrdswyfe

« Reply #922 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 08:28:57 »
I have an iphone 4s right now but I'm definitely getting the 6+ when it comes out. <3

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #923 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 08:55:52 »

I have an iphone 4s right now but I'm definitely getting the 6+ when it comes out. <3

Is the 6+ something that fits in a pocket? Or a one handed item? I want to preorder on the 12th but would like to see the 2 phones side-by-side first.

Is there a phone that's the same size as iPhone 6+ to go see size-wise?

Offline Glissant

« Reply #924 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:04:54 »
I don't have any images to compare the size for you Input Nirvana, but looking at the videos and then looking up some specs it looks like the 6+ is slightly taller and slightly thinner than the note 4. Not sure if that tells you anything, but that's the best comparison in size I could think of.

And when it comes to your first questions; that all depends on the size of the person :).

Edit: Looking at the specs again and comparing them to my Oneplus, I would say that the iPhone 6+ might be hard to use one handed and will most likely stick up slightly from front pockets on most jeans that I would wear (talking as a 6'1" 250lbs dude).
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:08:34 by Glissant »

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #925 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:07:08 »

Is the 6+ something that fits in a pocket? Or a one handed item? I want to preorder on the 12th but would like to see the 2 phones side-by-side first.

Is there a phone that's the same size as iPhone 6+ to go see size-wise?

The Note easily fits in my pockets, I see no issue arriving unless you wear hipster skinny jeans

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #926 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:08:12 »
hipster skinny jeans

What else are iPhone users suppose to wear?!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #927 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:22:00 »

hipster skinny jeans

Heeeyyy-y-y....

I consider phones a personal item, always have mine and don't use other peoples phones. Plus, in the SF Bay Area, iPhones are very dominant. I live a couple miles down the street from Apple :)

Thanks for the info, I'll compare asap! I'm pretty sure 6+ is too big for my lifesyle.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:27:25 by Input Nirvana »

Offline iri

« Reply #928 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:22:31 »
i wear skinny hipster jeans, and my samsung mega 5.8" fits in just well.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #929 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 09:53:19 »

hipster skinny jeans

Heeeyyy-y-y....

I've been an iPhone user for 4 years now and wear skinny jeans becasue I'm skinny and like clothes that fit.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #930 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 10:17:26 »

Show Image

I was almost going to buy the z1 compact, but when I saw this I said to myself, "I HAVE to get this !"
Now I just need the money...or patience for the price to go down.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ajx

« Reply #931 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 13:01:57 »
it has already gone down in Europe  ;D
UK: 350 £
France:499 eur + portable bluetooth speaker (99 eur) for free
Sony store: 499 eur + intra earbuds for free

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #932 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 14:39:42 »
My HTC One V is still hanging in there.

Offline Bill_565

« Reply #933 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 17:49:30 »
Moto G first gen. Best smartphone under 200$ in my opinion. I have rooted it as well just for the fun of it, although I have to admit that Greenify (some functions require root) saves me a lot of battery.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #934 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 20:57:08 »
Returned my phresh Nexus 5 and pre-ordered the iPhone 6. Thug life.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #935 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:01:33 »
it has already gone down in Europe  ;D
UK: 350 £
France:499 eur + portable bluetooth speaker (99 eur) for free
Sony store: 499 eur + intra earbuds for free

Probably going to wait until USB c and then buy whichever compact phone they have at that time

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #936 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 21:13:45 »
Guys, I think you should check out this new thing on Kickstarter
It is perhaps the biggest leap in the mobile world, if not the entire world in technology

This thing doesn't require any charging, it's almost entirely shatter resistant, and it runs you almost nothing
No details have been released about the OS it is running, but I don't think it's even going to run Droid

Offline vyshane

« Reply #937 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 09:08:10 »
It is perhaps the biggest leap in the mobile world, if not the entire world in technology

This thing doesn't require any charging, it's almost entirely shatter resistant, and it runs you almost nothing
No details have been released about the OS it is running, but I don't think it's even going to run Droid

No removable battery, no deal. And they should pick Android. Open always wins.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #938 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:06:27 »

No removable battery, no deal. And they should pick Android. Open always wins.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #939 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 13:14:40 »

hahaha.... it's funny that some people could ACTUALLY benefit from carrying the Nophone instead of their regular phone.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #940 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 20:37:56 »

I want a NoPad, NoWatch and NoMac.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #941 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 01:44:47 »
i only have the iPhone 4s, i don't understand the trend towards bigger phones that barey fit in your pocket. it's worrying.

YES. though, I think the 5 is the perfect size. 4 is a tad too small.
But everyone always says for the 5, why is apple so small when android and windows are way bigger already. Maybe because phones shouldn't get BIGGER. Now the damn 6 is bigger, 6+ is stupid-big. I will eventually need the 5 size but with new specs. I hope they make a 7 mini otherwise ill have to go android...  :confused:

I miss my Nokia w snake...

Hahaha yes.. Love holding my phone. This is great.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 01:50:48 by dustinhxc »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #942 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 06:27:17 »
I don't know.... In not a fat person at all but I have moderately large hands and struggle to type on the 5's narrow display, so the 6 is welcome though for me it would only need to be wider rather than talker, but then you have to keep the ratios the same sooo

Offline iri

« Reply #943 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:14:14 »
I don't know.... In not a fat person at all but I have moderately large hands and struggle to type on the 5's narrow display
swiftkey could help... were it same quality on ios as on android.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #944 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:27:05 »
I don't know.... In not a fat person at all but I have moderately large hands and struggle to type on the 5's narrow display
swiftkey could help... were it same quality on ios as on android.

been using it since yesterday (and used it to type that), it's a great help but iOS 8's buggy and ****ty when it comes to using a non standard keyboard it seems :/

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #945 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:01:27 »
Just got the iphone 6 as a gift today... and it is the EXACT same size, color, button layout, etc as my S3. Funny. Don't know what to do with the damn thing.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #946 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:47:23 »
The other night, I ordered a OnePlus One. Definitely looking forward to it.

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #947 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:48:31 »
i only have the iPhone 4s, i don't understand the trend towards bigger phones that barey fit in your pocket. it's worrying.

I have the Lumia 1520, a beast of a phone.

Left to right: iPhone 5, Nexus 5, Lumia 1520

You want to know why I got that phone?

Aside from running Windows Phone OS, with this phone, I don't feel like I'm holding a dainty little toy in my hands, something that is very important when one has what have been affectionately referred to as "gorilla paws" for hands. It fits in my hand just perfectly. The ability to put it in my pocket is a non-issue, as I NEVER put phones in my pockets. Given my 6' tall body coming in at nearly 300 pounds, even a Nokia phone would be at risk of breakage if put into my pocket.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline blackbox

« Reply #948 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 21:20:55 »

I have the Lumia 1520, a beast of a phone.

Left to right: iPhone 5, Nexus 5, Lumia 1520

Show Image

You want to know why I got that phone?

Aside from running Windows Phone OS, with this phone, I don't feel like I'm holding a dainty little toy in my hands, something that is very important when one has what have been affectionately referred to as "gorilla paws" for hands. It fits in my hand just perfectly. The ability to put it in my pocket is a non-issue, as I NEVER put phones in my pockets. Given my 6' tall body coming in at nearly 300 pounds, even a Nokia phone would be at risk of breakage if put into my pocket.

Personally I'm not a fan of WP but I am really glad that phones with large screens is a trend. I to have very big hands and I can not stand using an screen smaller than " 5".
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline ajx

« Reply #949 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 09:58:12 »
Z3 Compact under 400 eur from Amazon.it
twice cheaper than iPhone 6
an heavy and huge battery life

You might get even more with one of those Stamina modes (standard or Ultra), Sony claim you could even use for 4/5 days easily without charging it if you use the hardest stamina mode (Ultra)

Best phone ever  ;D