Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Great Lakes Meetup - 13 April KB's and Hi-Fi gear!  (Read 57890 times)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
Re: [COMPLETED] Great Lakes Meetup - 13 April KB's and Hi-Fi gear!
« Reply #350 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:10:56 »
WTB pics of everyone. I want to see all your pretty faces :D
mee too (LOL) and I was there!.
Seriously, SmallFrys' 122 key model F (aka aircraft carrier) with its bold red keys left a lasting impression, the FMF seemed to pose in all of its metal pride,  there was a beautiful WASD with side print keys, kbtalkings, a Dolche with pale blue MX swithes, a phantom, some pokers, CM quickfire, TOPRE keypads, 104 key mechanicals in all of their varied glory each as interesting as the next, mini keyboards and plenty more that I can't put names to and.... keycaps, keycaps and more keycaps,  a 'roller mouse free' with a unique design, some nice headphones and more private trades and deals that I didn't get to see.
As the event progressed people opened up, engaged and smiles were as plentiful as curiosity and conversation.  it was great to see folks picking up and examining the boards.  Everyone treated all the equipment (and each other) with care and respect. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:21:26 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #351 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:30:44 »
There are no picks of our faces,  that was decided upon.
Yeah... about that...
* SmallFry runs with pictures of Ski and his mammoth hands. SmallFry takes 5 steps while Ski takes one half of a step.
You can post picks of me, I don't really mind, but I know that there were some people there that were opposed to having their picks posted.  Please PM anybody you post picks of to get their consent to do so.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #352 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:36:47 »

I even blurred out a few faces in my photos.  No faces!  Or some faces, if they don't care.  I don't.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:43:35 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:42:00 »
donde esta el pics

Offline dante

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:45:02 »

You are all a bunch of paparazzi!

If Northern Illinois is still a good place to hold another meetup let me know and I'll do the legwork on the next gathering.  I know there has been some interest in Wisconsin but I'm not familiar with that area.

I will definitely brings some boards next time to share!

Offline dante

« Reply #355 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:45:33 »

I even blurred out a few faces in my photos.  No faces!  Or some faces, if they don't care.  I don't.

Can you blur out my stomach?

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:49:39 »
I need to see some pictures of you guys and some keyboards!

Also, what were some of the "illuminati secretive" trades that went down? :p

Maybe the next one could be closer to the middle of the country... idk... maybe in Sioux Falls :p :D Jk, but I'd love to attend the next one if it is a little closer this time!

Gupgup

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:50:24 »

You are all a bunch of paparazzi!

If Northern Illinois is still a good place to hold another meetup let me know and I'll do the legwork on the next gathering.  I know there has been some interest in Wisconsin but I'm not familiar with that area.

I will definitely brings some boards next time to share!
The guys at CyberArena dindn't charge me, and said they would be more than happy to host us again.  The guys at the store were walking around photographing keyboards before we left :)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #358 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:52:04 »
mee too (LOL) and I was there!.
Seriously, SmallFrys' 122 key model F (aka aircraft carrier) with its bold red keys left a lasting impression, the FMF seemed to pose in all of its metal pride,  there was a beautiful WASD with side print keys, kbtalkings, a Dolche with pale blue MX swithes, a phantom, some pokers, CM quickfire, TOPRE keypads, 104 key mechanicals in all of their varied glory each as interesting as the next, mini keyboards and plenty more that I can't put names to and.... keycaps, keycaps and more keycaps,  a 'roller mouse free' with a unique design, some nice headphones and more private trades and deals that I didn't get to see.
As the event progressed people opened up, engaged and smiles were as plentiful as curiosity and conversation.  it was great to see folks picking up and examining the boards.  Everyone treated all the equipment (and each other) with care and respect.

So many great boards that I forgot to take pictures of myself.  Oh here are my ergo boards, but these pictures aren't from the meetup.

18743-0
18745-1

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #359 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:55:33 »

Is it that recognizable?  I'll blur out shoes as well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #360 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 12:58:45 »

:))

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 13:46:48 »
Fun meetup, I had a great time meeting everyone and testing out so many boards/switches.  My favorite was probably that cherry ergonomic split board, need to find one of those.  Also, the magenta leds on the KBTalking board were really hot, as was that plate mounted poker in the green anodized case.  Lots of good stuff.

I was trying to upload my photos from the meetup into the thread, but the files are possibly a bit too large, so here's a link to an album instead:

http://min.us/mtiiGkzaiEvyx

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #362 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 13:53:35 »
WOW!  Dianoda your photogrpahy skills are AMAZING.  Bar none,  thank you for taking all the picks.  The macro shots are the most immpressive.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:13:31 »
Mine aren't in there! :'( heh. I agree that the photos came out really well. I didn't think you'd get such nice photos in that lighting, but I was surely wrong.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:32:27 »
Fun meetup, I had a great time meeting everyone and testing out so many boards/switches.  My favorite was probably that cherry ergonomic split board, need to find one of those.  Also, the magenta leds on the KBTalking board were really hot, as was that plate mounted poker in the green anodized case.  Lots of good stuff.

I was trying to upload my photos from the meetup into the thread, but the files are possibly a bit too large, so here's a link to an album instead:

I had the same problem.  Couldn't do more than one or two at a time.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #365 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:37:30 »
During this meetup, I lost my Topre and Model M/buckling spring virginity. Now I feel...different.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:41:09 »
Dianoda, do you have any close ups of the Filco Zero?  I took a couple pictures, but for some reason I deleted them.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:43:36 »
nice! (must keep that photo album prominent)
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:58:32 »
People on the internet sure are shy... "no-faces // stomachs?" what could possibly happen...

as if some criminal is goin'' oooo,, now I know that guy has a NIB M, Gonna jump'em on his way home from work.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #369 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:02:50 »
I am kinda scared now that I have a NIB Model M :D

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: [COMPLETED] Great Lakes Meetup - 13 April KB's and Hi-Fi gear!
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:06:56 »
People on the internet sure are shy... "no-faces // stomachs?" what could possibly happen...

as if some criminal is goin'' oooo,, now I know that guy has a NIB M, Gonna jump'em on his way home from work.
More that I generally don't like letting the entire world see who I am. Not that I'm afraid of being jumped, but more that I like my privacy.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:20:29 »

More that I generally don't like letting the entire world see who I am. Not that I'm afraid of being jumped, but more that I like my privacy.

You say that, but I could have SWORN I just saw you in the check-out isle at the grocery store.  :p

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Re: [COMPLETED] Great Lakes Meetup - 13 April KB's and Hi-Fi gear!
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:23:53 »

You say that, but I could have SWORN I just saw you in the check-out isle at the grocery store.  :p
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIII...... COVER BLOWN!

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:27:11 »
We should definitely do this again, maybe over the summer.

Hats off to tipo33 for hosting and making this meet-up happen; to l3oilermaker for running TechKeys; to Dianoda for the professional photos; to CPTBadAss for complementing my attire; and to everyone for coming, especially those of you who brought multiple keyboards.

I have a feeling many of us will be making new purchases based on what we saw and felt at the meet. Now I definitely want a keyboard with ergo-clears -- these switches are pretty much perfect. According to Rajiv from Cooler Master, they've ordered a 'small' shipment of MX Clear switches, so hopefully they'll be available on a Quickfire.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Re: Re: [COMPLETED] Great Lakes Meetup - 13 April KB's and Hi-Fi gear!
« Reply #374 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 16:43:06 »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIII...... COVER BLOWN!

I knew you were trouble when you walked in...

And thanks for posting up those pics Dianoda!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2013, 17:01:23 by CPTBadAss »

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #375 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 17:02:33 »

Some keyboards are small enough for concealed carry
Concealed Carry
Firearm: S&W 380 ACP
Keyboard: Gear Head Mini USB
Cellphone: Motorola M

More

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #376 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:18:06 »
OMG.. i didn't mean to kill the thread  :o
More

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #377 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:29:04 »
Dianoda, do you have any close ups of the Filco Zero?  I took a couple pictures, but for some reason I deleted them.

Was that the one with the red filco esc key?  The only photo I can find of it is this one (and this is actually a crop from another photo):

18792-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #378 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:35:10 »

Was that the one with the red filco esc key?  The only photo I can find of it is this one (and this is actually a crop from another photo):

Yes, that is the Filco Zero. =drools=

The things I would do for that board :D

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #379 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:47:56 »
Mine aren't in there! :'( heh. I agree that the photos came out really well. I didn't think you'd get such nice photos in that lighting, but I was surely wrong.

I could swear I had a shot of that all red buckling spring board you brought but I can't seem to find it...

Actually, when I was going through my photos from the meetup earlier this afternoon, I was kinda like, "is this all I took?"  Maybe I'll leave the tripod at home next time and just keep the camera in high-speed burst mode ;)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #380 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:51:02 »
Yup, Filco Zero with doubleshots from a NeXT terminal :D

Offline dante

« Reply #381 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:51:17 »
Smallfry's 122 will not only kill someone it will hide the blood stains.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:53:38 »
lol,  yes it will.  @SmallFry did you ever get the teensy inside that board to work?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #383 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:57:06 »
lol,  yes it will.  @SmallFry did you ever get the teensy inside that board to work?
... uh... YEAH? Maybe... no.
* SmallFry wears the cone of shame.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:33:58 »
As promised, I got finaly got an avatar...

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #385 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 01:45:13 »
w0w, nice meeting. :)

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline dante

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:45:03 »

Me too :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #387 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:47:28 »
... uh... YEAH? Maybe... no.
* SmallFry wears the cone of shame.

And congrats on your new avatars Tipo and dante!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 09:34:21 »
I've decided to join the avatar party.  It's just the most entertaining photo I currently have on my phone.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #389 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 09:43:27 »

Suits you perfectly as "the guy with the Full Metal Filco"  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:30:09 »
My combined Chicago Diary/Keyboard Impression writeup

So as promised, I’d do my diary of the Chicago/Great Lakes meetup. I drove in Friday night after work and unfortunately, I got held up at work so instead of having a 5 hour drive, I got stuck in Indianapolis rush-hour traffic and that added an extra hour to my drive. Got to my hotel room, cleaned some boards, called some people to let them know I didn’t die, and then tried to sleep for the meet.

Next morning I snagged some delicious food from a diner then drove to the Gurnee Mall. I stayed at a hotel about an half-an-hour away and it wasn’t a bad drive until I got to the Mall itself. I got super lost and didn’t realize where exactly where the Cyber Arena store was so I ended up parking and moving like three different times.

Cyber Arena in Gurnee Mills Mall

SmallFry had joked that there might be security so I was pretty worried for no reason. I simply waltzed into the mall with all of my boards stuffed in a huge backpack, a box that I use to keep my cap collection, and Akimbo’s AT101.

I had called/scared Tipo33 earlier just to let him know that I was going to show up soon, thinking that most people wouldn’t even show up until 11 or so. I was wrong. I walked in to see this:

On the left is Tipo33’s collection, on the right is prdlm2009’s boards

And chatting in a circle were Tipo33, prdlm2009, Trent, Dianoda, and dante. I set my stuff down and everyone blitzed me with real name/GeekHack IDs. But almost instantly, I got to try out Trent’s unicorn vomit Model M. Incidently, I would later learn that Trent invented the term “unicorn vomit” when he was joking around with Tipo. Guys…I met a legend! :P  I also tried an SSK out that Tipo had. Let me just say that if you haven’t tried out a Buckling Spring board yet, do it. They feel amazing. They’re a bit heavy but when the spring snaps againist the cylinder as you press down, the ping (in the best way) feels amazing as tactile  and auditory feedback. Touching a BS board was like touching that BlackWidow for the first time. Just incredible. I need one so bad. Anyone wanna hook me up with an SSK? :D

Prdlm’s collection of Alps boards was super nice. He was really stoked to try out the AT101 and I gravitated towards the AEKs and of course the Full Metal Filco. The switches in the AEK were nice but they were like lighter Tactile Black Alps. And I discovered from the switch try bag that I prefer clicky Alps switches. The Full Metal Filco was ridiculous. First off the thing weighed about 2-3 Model Ms. Second, the F and J caps didn’t have any nips or scoops so locating your hands was a bit hard. But the feel of the smooth metal and the solidity of the board was unmatched. Best part though? The caps were too heavy for the brown springs and if you picked up the board and shook it a bit, the keys would actuate and the joke was born: The FMF is self-typing!

Then I HAD to test out the Maltron with Clears and Kinesis with reds. They were just too crazy for me to pass up. Immediately, I ran into an issue with the Kinesis since it has a nonstandard layout and blank caps. I struggled the whole day with figuring out where exactly my hands should go so that I could properly type on the Kinesis, but  I never figured it out. I did like the Maltron though, it could take some getting used to but I could easily learn to like it. What I didn’t like about the Maltron was that Prdlm modded it with clears and the clears seemed a bit off. A lot of them were sticky or weren’t tactile at all for some reason. And the Kinesis was so odd that it distracted me from my hate for Reds.

But guys….I fell in love with that Filco Zero. Holy sh*t. Everything aesthetically good about a Filco but with XM Alps. Soooo clicky. And nice and solid in the Filco case. Its literally everything great about the alps switch: clicky, crisp, actuation at the top, not too heavy; with the amazing looks and feel of a filco. And the HID liberator works with it?? Why did i even bother snagging a ducky/dell at101/focus 2001?? When my mods done, I'll be happy i made this amazing board but it still won’t match the Zero. Another dream board. I was so taken with this board that Tipo came up to me at one point and said, “Hey, I’m going for a smoke break….is this going to be here when I come back or what?” Sigh. If Tipo and K weren’t so cool and I could run faster….I’d have a Zero right now. Oh well.

So right after that, deepthawt and G came in with this ENORMOUS dufflebag of goodies.

This doesn’t show the best board in Deep’s collection

HERE IT IS! That G80-5000[/img]

I’m a little embarrassed that I thought deepthawt was Smallfry’s parents but its ok. He was an amazing guy and his collection was sweet. That G80-5000….it’s like Microsoft stole the idea for their Ergo 4K. Seriously, look at it. And it felt INCREDIBLE to type on. It was the first MX Browns board I liked. Plus it had a sweet coffee set that Keypop is selling and I hadn’t seen that in real life until then. I had a lot of fun with deepthawt talking about Dalek novelty caps, laughing at the Super Blacks on the G80-5000, and trying to figure out which caps are the most wobbly.

So at this point I’m enjoying the happiness that comes with too many boards and GH bros. As I find myself gravitating towards the Zero again, I realize that keymaster and i3oilermaker had arrived. Keymaster had done a sweet Leopold putty mod on his spacebar and I took some time to go and admire it. It’s so simple but it’s ingenious, just a bit of putty and some donor stems, and he managed to mod his imsto spacebar. I need to do this. And keymaster, don’t even worry about the “uneven-ness”, it’s all good. Also, I dress like a bum and it really showed when I met keymaster. When I’m not at work, I usually wear skate shoes, band t-shirts, and jeans. Keymaster shows up in a nice American Apparel hoodie, peacoat thingy, nice leather shoes, and his lovely lady A was dressed up nice too. Definitely the classiest dresser there, sorry everyone else :P.

Most of me, proving that I dress like a bum. I’m in the Born Low shirt (Albany hardcore represent) watching over my collection and Tipo’s G80-1800 ISO DE/My Collection

i3oilermaker was definitely not how I pictured him in my head. He was also really chill and unassuming. I didn’t even get a proper introduction because we were too busy admiring his case o’ caps and laughing at the Hapsters. And the center well of his goodie box had all the rarest and most awesome caps: Saw see/speak/see no evil, rag mods, the Zerg mods I want so bad, April nuclear cap, the sick Wario caps. He had a Candy Corn Topre Clack just lying about. I never dove for anything that fast ever. I had to know what it was like. And it was glorious. Felt like a harder PBT, maybe it was a solid chunk at one point and they really are hard-carved. Regardless, I want one even worse now. And his KBTalking Bluetooth keyboard was so ****ing cool. After admiring the caps, of course I had to buy some so i3oiler popped in a Square-like device. I paid for my caps right on his iPhone; just swiped my card phone. Technology is marvelous and horrible for my wallet. Wallethack indeed.

Side note: it cracked me up the i3oiler called Imsto “I-M-S-T-O” and would spell out a lot of other names instead of trying to pronounce IDs.

Check out the board that i3oiler brought in. Greatest QFR ever?

Dat. Function. Row. And those caps.

Closeup of the caps. You can see some goodies poking out.

Mmm, dat function row.

So after laughing with i3oiler, Dianoda and Trent and I went to get some lunch; nothing special, just some Americanized Japanese food at the mall’s food court. Dianoda then introduced me to the real Wallethack hobby: photography. His DSLR, macro lens, and tripod cost like triple of my keyboard collection. Dat Wallethack.
After chilling and eating, I walked in to find The_Beast and these goodies.

That Tipro

Beast has every high-end novelty cap I ever wanted: P1 purple, Orangesicle, Octopink, purple Superhero. The Tipros are really cool, they had MX Blacks. And he had some other amazing goodies including an Imsto case for his poker, plates (60% and GHPad), lube station, and switch opening tools. He was a really cool guy and we chatting about the GH_60 case we worked on together. I also might’ve snatched the Poker out of his hand because that Imsto case was so cool. I’m sorry man!!

And then SmallFry himself walked in and looked a bit shocked. I think it was because we all mobbed him. I heard at least 5 times, “Where’s SmallFry??” and I was actually in mid-text asking him where he was when he showed up. The kid had the biggest duffle bag ever and he wraps his boards in towels!! Please guys, let’s start a GB for him: boxes for SmallFry. He needs em bad. And  guys, I’m not even ashamed to say it but he has more facial hair than I do, and I’m a bit older than he is. That’s obviously how he got his lovely girlfriend S :P. He brought his aircraft carrier of a 122 Model M, a Phantom, and his QFRs with graphite and unicorn vomit. He had other boards but those stuck with me the most. The Phantom had 65g MX Blues which felt INCREDIBLE. I was like oh man, this board feels CLICKIER somehow. And there was this lovely bottom out. It was almost as if the springs were cushioned somehow and the resistance built at the bottom. And it wasn’t too heavy. Nothing else seemed different until I asked him later and SmallFry told me about the springs. I really liked those and hope to mod my Leopold with those springs now. The 122 had these amazing self-dyed red caps. But seriously, be careful with your things around SmallFry. That kid tried to hustle i3oilermaker 2 minutes after he walked in (JK <3, but he really does like his trades).

So the next hour or so was filled with us happily nerding out about boards, me drooling all over the Filco Zero/G80-5000/ SSK, and just hanging out. Around 3 pm, Cyber Arena said they were closing or wanted us to wrap up so we all packed up our stuff and moved to the food court. Some topics of note while sitting around at the food court was the size of Tipo33’s hands, tattoos, Dalek novelty caps, The_Beast’s plates and switch lube station, Boost’s obsession with speeding, Litster’s custom caps, hi end audio equipment, and how I’m a showoff for going to 2 meets in 2 weekends. It was a lot of fun just shooting the **** and unfortunately, we all decided it was time to leave around 4 pm.

At this point I got a text from my friend who asked how everything was going and I was so sad that I didn’t have a third meet lined up for the following weekend. Seriously, GHers are nice online and amazing in person. It was such a diverse group of people brought together by our silly love of keyboards. I’m glad I drove all the way to Chicago to meet all you keybros. And I’d do it again this weekend if you guys said something else was going on.

Dante, I’m so happy that you love your G84 and I’m even more excited that you’re inspired to make a TKL and GH60-ML board. I can’t wait to see what you come up with in the future. As always, I demand pics of your future projects.

K, if I don’t see you with a mech board with those caps at the next meet, I’ll be very disappointed in you. :P

To everyone else I didn’t mention, forgot about, or didn’t get a shout-out, you are all amazing and I better see you in 6 months when we meet again. And yes, the  Zero, G80-5000, and SSK will remain safe. I like you all enough that I won’t steal em. Plus Tipo and you other lanky kids could outrun me (I’m looking at you i3oilermaker, prdlm2009, and keymaster). For anyone who wants pics, please check out dianoda’s amazing work. And we decided not to take group shots. If you want my silly impressions of everyone, check this out.

Oh and for anyone who cares, SR60s are super nice entry level “hi-end” headphones. I liked my SR80i’s more but they’re pretty similar.

---Finished on 4/17/13 @2000. All other edits will be me nit-picking at grammar and mispellings; this was a longer writeup and I wanted to put something out for people to read so I rushed the editing.---
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 22:14:16 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:51:05 »
My dad didn't come this time! :P my beautiful girlfriend did though. :)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #392 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:53:03 »
My dad didn't come this time! :P my beautiful girlfriend did though. :)
mine too.....   again :D

Offline dante

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:53:14 »
someone brought a Apple IIGS board w/ SMK switches and it was super sweet to type on!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #394 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 22:55:50 »
someone brought a Apple IIGS board w/ SMK switches and it was super sweet to type on!
That was Prdlm.  It was indeed sweet to type on,  I have been looking for some switches to swap into the Filco Zero, and I think these are it!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 06:14:26 »
That was Prdlm.  It was indeed sweet to type on,  I have been looking for some switches to swap into the Filco Zero, and I think these are it!

I really like the switches in the Matias Tactile Pro. Or Complicated Blue Alps. I'd probably swap those in to the Zero if I had one.

And it was fun to have all the significant others at the meet. Made it feel more normal :P  Plus it was fun watching A and K really get into the boards. I'm still super jealous G has that G80-5000...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 10:01:49 »
i certify this meetup as most epic so far. barely edges out the previous chi-town meetup. GREAT SUCCESS GUYS

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #397 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 10:49:03 »

Funny story behind that Apple IIGS, actually.  A few months ago when I was getting into the habit, I recalled this keyboard from my elementary school with the greatest key feel of my entire life.  That was at least 15 years ago.  All I remembered about the keyboard was the keycaps which were shaped like a top hat.  So after some googling, I found the board on Ebay and immediately made an offer.  I thought it was rubber dome, but I removed the keycaps to discover it had some SMK Alps mount switches.  What a surprise!  Love that board.  It's like a stuffed animal from my childhood.  There always are a few floating around Ebay.

18967-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2013, 10:54:16 by prdlm2009 »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 11:43:44 »
CPTbadass, great review by the way. Can't wait for part two.

Regarding the Maltron and Kinesis, they take some adjustment, but once you make the adjustment, flat keyboards feel archaic. In the Maltron, the metals contacts of most switches are worn, so it affects the tactility quite a bit on some keys. As a result, the keys feel less sharp than most MX Clear boards.  Also, the F keys and shift keys had the stock MX black.

I kick myself for not keeping the Black springs with Clear sliders, or a lighter spring in general, but life goes on, I suppose. And I always could reopen the switches for some more fun.

Regarding the Alps boards, i was excited to see all the different Alps boards as well.  I envisioned myself as a vintage Alps man before the meetup.  After the meetup and trying out deepthrawt's Matias Quiet Pro and the Tipo33's Filco Zero, my views have changed towards Alps.  Out with the old, in with the new!

I also really was thrilled to take the HHKB for a spin, and I must admit, the Topre switches lived up to the hype. The combination of lightness, smoothness and tactility are unparalleled.  Smooth like melted butter.  Also, I loved the aesthetics, form factor and layout of the HHKB, with the exception of those FN layer arrow.  I know some folks dismiss Topre as overhyped, overpriced rubber dome, but darn it, that HHKB was nice (but the price still seems a little steep for what you get.  I guess a company can jack up prices for such a small, loyal market.

Offline dante

« Reply #399 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 11:58:08 »
I thought it was rubber dome, but I removed the keycaps to discover it had some SMK Alps mount switches.

Does this mean those SMK switches can't be mounted on any other non-SMK Alps board?  My only issue would have to be page up/page down/home/end.  Normally you could Autohotkey the capslock with this functionality but it's out of the way on this board.

Are you able to say what model # yours is?

and trying out deepthrawt's Matias Quiet Pro and the Tipo33's Filco Zero, my views have changed towards Alps.  Out with the old, in with the new!

I commented to deepthrawt on how his Quiet Pro switches were much smoother feeling than the one I had.  We both had the same experience with switches initially sticking but because he persevered his felt much better after being broken in.  His keycaps were also in much better condition then mine after a few days.  I wonder if quality improved after the first few batches were produced? [Steelseries 6gv2 still takes it for WORST CAPS EVER!]

I also really was thrilled to take the HHKB for a spin, and I must admit, the Topre switches lived up to the hype. The combination of lightness, smoothness and tactility are unparalleled.  Smooth like melted butter.  Also, I loved the aesthetics, form factor and layout of the HHKB, with the exception of those FN layer arrow.  I know some folks dismiss Topre as overhyped, overpriced rubber dome, but darn it, that HHKB was nice (but the price still seems a little steep for what you get.  I guess a company can jack up prices for such a small, loyal market.

I loved the HHKB also; much better than any Realforce board I have ever tried.  What I like about it most is - and is very difficult to articulate - how much more gentle it seems on the hands.  Almost like the difference between plate and pcb mounted.  If I had to nitpick I'd say I'm not a fan of the detachable cable; but for $250+ I'd like to think the hub is extremely durable.  I've never heard of anyone having any complaints.

I wish I had brought a USB drive with a text document filled with errors.  I'd like to see what it looks like when someone corrects them on the HHKB layout.  Perhaps even make a contest of it!