Author Topic: Corsair H60  (Read 8010 times)

Offline Kraksx

Corsair H60
« on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:00:57 »
I'm in the market to get a new cooler for my cpu as the stock one I have right now is really loud and I hate it. I don't need anything fancy and I don't overclock so it doesn't need to be too crazy about cooling. I've been looking at the H60 and was wondering if any of you have it and can tell me how it is on noise.

Here's the link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1406325290&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=corsair+h60

Poker II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Corsair H60
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:07:06 »
lol

get the 212 evo on sale for $10-20   call it a day..

H60 isn't even quiet... All AIO water coolers are Chirp-ee..  they make a high pitch churrzzzzzzeh  sound because they have tiny impellers moving not alot of water.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:14:43 »
lol

H60 isn't even quiet... All AIO water coolers are Chirp-ee..  they make a high pitch churrzzzzzzeh  sound because they have tiny impellers moving not alot of water.

Alright thanks, it does look quiet and that's what I want, I cant stand how loud my pc is right now

Poker II

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:28:55 »
lol

Alright thanks, it does look quiet and that's what I want, I cant stand how loud my pc is right now
It's probably loud because its a stock cooler with a **** fan that has to work harder to cool your cpu.

GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:30:39 »
lol

It's probably loud because its a stock cooler with a **** fan that has to work harder to cool your cpu.

Well yeah I know stock coolers are ****, that's why I wanted to hear you guys's opinions

Poker II

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:39:09 »
If you don't plan on overclocking much then the H60 should be just fine, even with the ****ty preapplied paste. It's likely not the best choice, but it's good enough for stock speeds at least, if you want to OC I'd recommend to remove the preapplied paste and apply your own.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:46:27 »
If you don't plan on overclocking much then the H60 should be just fine, even with the ****ty preapplied paste. It's likely not the best choice, but it's good enough for stock speeds at least, if you want to OC I'd recommend to remove the preapplied paste and apply your own.
Still doesn't make it worth the cost.  A 212+ is more than enough for most and its insanely cheap.  Even h100's have been as low as $40-50 in the past.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:08:17 »
Still doesn't make it worth the cost.  A 212+ is more than enough for most and its insanely cheap.  Even h100's have been as low as $40-50 in the past.

212+ has been $7 and free  ... can't beat that with h100..

lowest on 212 evo i think is $15

OP.. your CPU fan might not be the ONLY loud element inside your pc..

It could be your PSU fan, or perhaps one of your Case fans..

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:10:51 »

Show Image

Nah ive checked, everything makes noise obviously but the cpu fan is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than everything else

Poker II

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:14:39 »

Show Image

Oh I'm not saying its the better option.  Just that if he really wanted a closed loop that was another option.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:23:52 »

Show Image

Nah ive checked, everything makes noise obviously but the cpu fan is SIGNIFICANTLY louder than everything else

did you do the finger test?

run intel burn test..  put your finger near the spindle of the fan.. and slowly stop it.

You could use a stick, if you're chicken.. (hence -chicken stick-) <-that's a real thing..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 18:24:30 »

Show Image

Oh I'm not saying its the better option.  Just that if he really wanted a closed loop that was another option.

the only h100 that ever went for $50  was the one with that pump problem..

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:21:26 »
I have the H60 and haven't ever had an issue with it as far as noise. It works well and is fairly quiet.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:29:48 »
I have the H60 and haven't ever had an issue with it as far as noise. It works well and is fairly quiet.

LIES...

Offline jameslr

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 19:39:18 »

Same, I have an H60 and an H100i and they're both nice units. The Hyper 212 Evo is the best bang for the buck though. I don't care about the fan noise as I have a small fan sitting beside me running constantly
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 20:18:22 »

Same, I have an H60 and an H100i and they're both nice units. The Hyper 212 Evo is the best bang for the buck though. I don't care about the fan noise as I have a small fan sitting beside me running constantly

how do you guys NOT hear that pump whine noise...   do you guys have loud ambient sound levels?

My ambient is ~20-23db

I can hear a fly on the other side of the house sometimes...   (the big kind, not the small flies)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:22:30 »
If you're willing to drop H60 money, forget about the H60.  It's overpriced and mediocre.  The Phanteks TC12DX or Thermalright Macho are both better and quieter than the H60.

My opinion is that you should never buy a CLC like the H60 unless you have one of two reasons:  One, you can't fit a tower style heatsink in your case, so small form factor or some crappy cases.  Two, you're buying it for aesthetics.  Otherwise, at just about every price point (barring crazy sales), there's a better air cooler at a better price.

That and I personally boycott Corsair because I think they're overpriced for the quality and just riding the hype train still.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:47:43 »
If you're willing to drop H60 money, forget about the H60.  It's overpriced and mediocre.  The Phanteks TC12DX or Thermalright Macho are both better and quieter than the H60.

My opinion is that you should never buy a CLC like the H60 unless you have one of two reasons:  One, you can't fit a tower style heatsink in your case, so small form factor or some crappy cases.  Two, you're buying it for aesthetics.  Otherwise, at just about every price point (barring crazy sales), there's a better air cooler at a better price.

That and I personally boycott Corsair because I think they're overpriced for the quality and just riding the hype train still.

i was sorely disappointed in the corsair fans.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 02:14:15 »

Agreed. The next cooler I plan on buying once I get a new job lined up won't be Corsair though. The Swiftech H220x looks pretty sweet and is expandable :D
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 05:10:28 »

Agreed. The next cooler I plan on buying once I get a new job lined up won't be Corsair though. The Swiftech H220x looks pretty sweet and is expandable :D

Yes the h220x looks really nice! I agree with folks here about the 212+. Noctua has some good cpucoolers to.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 05:27:31 »

Yes the h220x looks really nice! I agree with folks here about the 212+. Noctua has some good cpucoolers to.

???????????

h220x , what's with all this n00b gear...  they don't work well, they're make zzzzz sound, and their ultimate capacity is low..

Exapandable, not really, you'll get like no flow with the better blocks, there's not enough pressure on these.

Delid + nhd14 or 15..  that's the best CPU cooling on the market and most reliable..

AIO is only relevant for something like a 290/290x or even 7970s  but Nothing else these days really benefit from Water..

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:50:39 »
I can say the H60 does not make any type of rattle like the original H80/100 did so they seem to of fixed the issue its up to you really I somewhat agree with TP4 in the fact that really these lower end solutions will not be that much better, and most of these are just for people to say its water cooled :/

Up to you anyway bud personally the H60 worked fine for me as I used it for a ITX build as a standard cooler wouldn't work, but its all down to personal opinion.

My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:52:15 »
I can say the H60 does not make any type of rattle like the original H80/100 did so they seem to of fixed the issue its up to you really I somewhat agree with TP4 in the fact that really these lower end solutions will not be that much better, and most of these are just for people to say its water cooled :/

Up to you anyway bud personally the H60 worked fine for me as I used it for a ITX build as a standard cooler wouldn't work, but its all down to personal opinion.

I think I'm going to go with the EVO

Poker II

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 08:55:31 »

Thats the best bet bud at least if it turn out you don't like it or it does not suit your needs you won't of lost much :) good luck anyway it would be nice to hear a update once it's all done
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 09:00:34 »

Thats the best bet bud at least if it turn out you don't like it or it does not suit your needs you won't of lost much :) good luck anyway it would be nice to hear a update once it's all done

Yeah exactly, if I don't like it oh well.

Poker II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 10:19:16 »

Yeah exactly, if I don't like it oh well.

The h60 is necessary for itx, because the Tower coolers usually don't fit..

But in terms of performance.. the h60 is only (on par) with 120mm towers.. maybe 2-5 C lower on Load with a heavy Overclock. 1.35v+

Offline jameslr

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 12:15:29 »
Since I spend the majority of my time at the computer listening to music on my headphones or playing games with headphones on I don't really care. My cans have nice sound isolation and I usually have them cranked up. Ambient noise means little to me, except when I'm working. Since I work from home and I mentioned I have a fan that runs pretty much non-stop - it doesn't bother me much if at all. I used to require a lot of silence when working, but that was before I had kids. Now a lot of silence bugs me...as if something is missing.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:53:34 »
Since I spend the majority of my time at the computer listening to music on my headphones or playing games with headphones on I don't really care. My cans have nice sound isolation and I usually have them cranked up. Ambient noise means little to me, except when I'm working. Since I work from home and I mentioned I have a fan that runs pretty much non-stop - it doesn't bother me much if at all. I used to require a lot of silence when working, but that was before I had kids. Now a lot of silence bugs me...as if something is missing.

They've clipped your wings and taken your freedom..   Hang in there..

Offline Lanx

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:43:34 »
ever since i went with closed loop, i'll never buy another god damn heatsink ever again. i have h60 and h100 for 3 years? 4 years? everything controlled with speed fan, all fans are on like 30% speed.

sure get the EVO, like many said, it is the best bang for buck.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 00:39:16 »
ever since i went with closed loop, i'll never buy another god damn heatsink ever again. i have h60 and h100 for 3 years? 4 years? everything controlled with speed fan, all fans are on like 30% speed.

sure get the EVO, like many said, it is the best bang for buck.

but why?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:50:31 »
i literally have 2 moving boxes full of heatsinks, these big horrible towers that sometimes use an ungodly amount of pressure to mount and have super horrible bracket mounting systems, some even with washers and springs.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:54:20 »
Have you ever tried a noctua tower cooler?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:49:46 »

Have the H60 as well on 3 PC's mainly due to lack of height inside their cases, all work perfectly with no issues at all.  Just pick choice fans that are silent and you have a very tidy and neat system.

Also have installed Noctua's, Thermalright's, Prolimatech's, Tuniq's and Phantek's but installing the Corsair H60 in a confined space, is the easiest by far  :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:52:18 by Elrick »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 04:09:46 »
I've got one too and it's just fine.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:15:03 »
I also have a first-gen H60 with two Yate Loons in push-pull and it's barely audible. There's plenty of cooling headroom for overclocking a 2600k to >4gHz.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2015, 13:13:22 by evolveS »
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline Lanx

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 11:30:18 »
yea all those heavy ass heatsink towers, every motherboard up until i started using closed loop cooling has been bent/bow'd.  also since they're towers, and they're super huge, they have lots of fins to do the cooling and since they have lots of fins thats lots of surface area, which also means lots of dust. and usually you'd have 2 fans on it, cuz... why would have 1 at this point. so now with a closed loop you have 2 less fans, cuz you're gonna have case fans for air circulation anyway.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:10:46 »
For the slightly reduced bowing.. (which doesn't even matter)..

the AIO coolers are extremely risky..

The connections are all plastic..   throughout the day   hot and cold causes thermals stress on the ends...

Cracks and Leaks are inevitable, it's only a matter of time..

WHY introduce this highly deadly point of failure into your system, WHEN it provides no tangible benefit.

It doesn't cool better

It is absolutely louder, squeaky impeller noise

and it WILL pour water on your parts at some point.. (matter of when, not IF)

The modern crop of chips, do not even require the largest heatsinks anymore, after delid,  they can use something like the 212 evo, which is fairly light weight, aluminum fin design.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 14:34:21 »
i'm pretty sure the only way a closed loop system leaks, is if someone fumbled it about so much they busted a seal or stabbed a hose, pretty much user error. no one is gonna admit they have fat fingers and are about as graceful as a mac truck, this of course leads to something happening.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:01:14 »
i'm pretty sure the only way a closed loop system leaks, is if someone fumbled it about so much they busted a seal or stabbed a hose, pretty much user error. no one is gonna admit they have fat fingers and are about as graceful as a mac truck, this of course leads to something happening.

naw bro..

It's not fat fingers..  plastic cracks over time.. especially plastic under tension..  and it's only made worse by  the thermal stress of heating and cooling by the cpu..

There was a TIME... when you really needed water cooling to Overclock..

But that's no longer the case with CPUs..

GPUs  yes.. you still kinda NEED water cooling.. but CPU, risky business...

Offline Lanx

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:10:39 »
you're trying to force an opinion to avoid a product on the extreme off chance of theoretical probability that equipment will fail, well eventually everything fails.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 17:32:18 »
you're trying to force an opinion to avoid a product on the extreme off chance of theoretical probability that equipment will fail, well eventually everything fails.

Not tower coolers bro..  There's nearly nothing in there that can fail, unless you drop it on hard ground and crack the pipes..

The connectors on AIOs are not theoretical failure points, they're definite failure points..

I'm not arguing the likelihood here,  they bring no real benefit while increasing risk..

Offline blackbox

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 03:11:32 »
No real benefits? If where not talking about temperatures, there are other benefits to AIO watercoolers.

Ram compabillity:
Dosent matter which ram modules you use since the cpu block is not going to interfere with the ram like it does on some big tower coolers

More effecient airflow:
AIO coolers CAN improve airflow since you mount the radiator directly to the case and not in the middle of it. Many cases have limited airflow over the CPU compared to a direct intake.

That being said I have nothing against tower coolers. I just didnt agree that AIO have no benefits :). An example is the brilliant noctua d15. Beats many AIOs, but it is also a gigantic tower cooler.

The LAN table!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 10:12:49 »
Time to be the devil's advocate. 

No real benefits? If where not talking about temperatures, there are other benefits to AIO watercoolers.

Ram compabillity:
Dosent matter which ram modules you use since the cpu block is not going to interfere with the ram like it does on some big tower coolers

There's really one main brand that has incompatible RAM, Corsair.  Their RAM is designed to try and get people to buy their CLCs.  It's not great RAM and uses lower quality ICs than comparably priced G.Skill and Mushkin RAM that has low profile heatsinks and ICs that overclock better. 

Additionally, there is no benefit to massive RAM sinks.

More effecient airflow:
AIO coolers CAN improve airflow since you mount the radiator directly to the case and not in the middle of it. Many cases have limited airflow over the CPU compared to a direct intake.

They can also be much worse for airflow.  If you look at reviews that actually measure temps on different parts of the board, CLCs always have higher VRM temps than than tower heatsinks.  Higher VRM temps means less stable overclocks or more voltage required to get a good, stable overclock and they mean increased chances of VRM failure.

In my experience, a properly set up case with good fans will have better temps with a tower sink than a CLC.  The main benefit of a CLC for temps is that if it is set up as an intake, it get usually cooler ambient air directly to the radiator instead of warmer air that's circulating inside the case.

That being said I have nothing against tower coolers. I just didnt agree that AIO have no benefits :). An example is the brilliant noctua d15. Beats many AIOs, but it is also a gigantic tower cooler.

I generally don't agree with tp, but I only see three benefits to CLCs: 1.  They can be more aesthetically pleasing, 2. They offer cooling superior cooling to the low end sinks that will only fit in some small form factor cases (like certain ITX cases and some Lian Li cases), 3. They're better for people who move their computer around a lot (like LANers).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 13:15:17 »

Ram compabillity:

More effecient airflow:

Yup.... absolutely NO BENEFIT..

Space...  just get a bigger case

Cooling... Overclock cpus do not benefit from upper bound cooling, because they top out @ 4.8 ghz within 60-90C   makes no difference where you land on that...

Cooling...  Stock cpus can use stock cooling,  you're just blowing money...

Longevity... the AIO coolers are bad and will crap out long before your CPU does...

More efficient?...  the biggest aio coolers have only a slightly lower upper bound temperature than the large 120mm towers which cost  1/5th the price..

The reason... DELID....

If you don't Delid your CPU,  you're doing something wrong... it is VITAL on all modern haswell and Ivybridge.

If you have a COMPELLING REASON to use a smaller case, "out side of, my girlfriend thinks it looks cute"...   then, perhaps yes, AIO is the way to go..   

Smaller Case = BAD 99% of the time.. due to cabling, and heat..   even in this scenario, if the Tower FITs, the reliability factor still means you should use a tower.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:37:59 »

Cooling... Overclock cpus do not benefit from upper bound cooling, because they top out @ 4.8 ghz within 60-90C   makes no difference where you land on that...

Longevity... the AIO coolers are bad and will crap out long before your CPU does...

More efficient?...  the biggest aio coolers have only a slightly lower upper bound temperature than the large 120mm towers which cost  1/5th the price..

The reason... DELID....

If you don't Delid your CPU,  you're doing something wrong... it is VITAL on all modern haswell and Ivybridge.

If you have a COMPELLING REASON to use a smaller case, "out side of, my girlfriend thinks it looks cute"...   then, perhaps yes, AIO is the way to go..   

Smaller Case = BAD 99% of the time.. due to cabling, and heat..   even in this scenario, if the Tower FITs, the reliability factor still means you should use a tower.

I have a CMstorm hx50 (with a 212 heatsink of course) case and it's huge. Gets great cooling though. I am thinking of getting a fan controller so I can turn them off, or getting slower case fans: I fire up P95 and it still is barely above ambient. It's remarkable, really.

Is Yate Loon a good manufacturer? I got a few of them out of some UPS's someone was throwing out, but they didn't move enough air for my needs so now they are in a box. (since my wants in a fan at the time were related to getting a hovercraft off the ground with as much weight as possible, I ended up with a pair of 5" nidecs 12V & ~35W out of a server. They are frightening)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:46:22 »

The reason... DELID....

I have a CMstorm hx50 (with a 212 heatsink of course) case and it's huge. Gets great cooling though. I am thinking of getting a fan controller so I can turn them off, or getting slower case fans: I fire up P95 and it still is barely above ambient. It's remarkable, really.

Is Yate Loon a good manufacturer? I got a few of them out of some UPS's someone was throwing out, but they didn't move enough air for my needs so now they are in a box. (since my wants in a fan at the time were related to getting a hovercraft off the ground with as much weight as possible, I ended up with a pair of 5" nidecs 12V & ~35W out of a server. They are frightening)

Technically..... best fan for sound/ air pressure is scythe gentle typhoon..

They're really really good..

but.. generally, i don't think they're worth the price if you have a big case, because you can get away with simply having more fans.   and if they're at low rpm, sleeve bearing fans are much more quiet vs ball bearing..

So if your case has good flow,  get low rpm sleeve bearing,   yateloon is just a brand, they make all sorts.

it's not necessary to consider brand/ quality when we're talking low rpm sleeve bearing..  because they more/less all perform identically.

JUst dont' buy the ebay fans.. omg they're so bad.. the mold is like all bent, and the fans are off balance.. LOL

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 15:56:29 »
I use the yate loon high speed ones and connect them to a fan controller at the lowest settings.  They seem sufficient enough and I liked them because of their cost compared to other brands and they didn't have leds (which is a plus for me).

as for the incompatible ram thing I can see people trying to argue that...I have a frio and I can't use my closest ram slot unless I use low profile ram.  But I'm using 2x 8gb sticks now so it's not like i need more ram.  But I would still prefer air over aio coolers even with that downside (of my cooler).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 16:33:12 »
I use the yate loon high speed ones and connect them to a fan controller at the lowest settings.  They seem sufficient enough and I liked them because of their cost compared to other brands and they didn't have leds (which is a plus for me).

as for the incompatible ram thing I can see people trying to argue that...I have a frio and I can't use my closest ram slot unless I use low profile ram.  But I'm using 2x 8gb sticks now so it's not like i need more ram.  But I would still prefer air over aio coolers even with that downside (of my cooler).

just switch to pull only configuration..

the difference that you see from push+pull is only for high 100% loads..  at 50% load,  the difference is nonexistent..

Offline Lanx

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 17:47:19 »
do you guys use speed fan? with it, fans are inaudible and only kick on when i'm at full load doing crunching, otherwise it's speedstep'd down a lot.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 19:04:36 »
do you guys use speed fan? with it, fans are inaudible and only kick on when i'm at full load doing crunching, otherwise it's speedstep'd down a lot.
I'd rather just adjust it myself if I need to.  My gpu fan is on auto usually though.  And "inaudible" has way too many factors.  Headphones on/off(even type of headphones), position/distance from computer, sensitivity of person's ears, etc.  I think it's more you just don't notice it than it being "inaudible".