Author Topic: I was a Luddite for MS Office 2003  (Read 2992 times)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
I was a Luddite for MS Office 2003
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 00:09:18 »
So, I was feeling like MS Windows, and I kept using Office 2003 for way too long.  I just switched over to Office 2013.  It's g*ddamned horrible.  The ribbons are beyond stupid.  The animations are giving me fits of palsy.  I absolutely hate it.  Does nobody indent paragraphs anymore?  And what is with the default fonts.  "Calibri"?  they shoulda called it "Callibro", cuz it don't work.  Like a dude from Cali with a surfboard and a dream, I guess.  Anyway, I'm paying my part for Steve Ballmer's retirement.  That fat f*ck.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: I was a Luddite for MS Office 2003
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:51:50 »
Welcome to 2007. Unfortunately for you, I think the rest of the world is used to the ribbons after seven years, so likely won't join in and complain.  :P

I will say though, I hate that the default font is not Times New Roman, but you can change the default font so ridiculously easy that it's basically a non-issue.

And what's the deal with indenting paragraphs, I don't understand what you mean by that.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:53:11 »
Please explain to me what ribbons are as if I didn't already know what they were...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:26:37 »
Please explain to me what ribbons are as if I didn't already know what they were...

Instead of the FIle, Edit, Select ... menu across the top of the window, there is a wide bar with some icons on it and tabs.  Selecting tabs shows a different group of icons.  The icons obscure the familiar menu options that we all learned over many years.  Keyboard shortcuts still kinda work (like Alt-F A to save as), but not for long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_(computing)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:47:04 »
I still can't get used to the ribbons. Just because it takes me twice as long to do something because I can't find anything.

I think the problem with them is that they change depending on what you have selected, which while good in principle, I just assume that there is every option I need on there, but then there isn't, and it's all in random places including the right click menu. It is annoying.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:53:52 »
And sometimes you select something from a ribbon and the ribbon stays as it is, sometimes is jumps back to the Home "page".

If you scroll the mouse wheel with the pointer somewhere in the ribbon, the active "page" on the ribbon changes.

You get different buttons depending on how wide the window is.

Half the time the button you want is not there, there is no menu, and you end up clicking that little triangle thing which brings up EXACTLY THE SAME fracking dialog box as in all previous versions of Microsoft Office, just now it is hidden behind a stupid pretty ribbon.

I don't like ribbons - can you tell?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 07:14:32 »
More ribbon hate here.

I was a Luddite for Office 2000 myself, that was the last one that more or less allowed multiple installations (with a wife and 2 kids it gets pretty onerous to buy software 4 times for rather casual use in a single household).

I upgraded to 2003, in about 2006, with software that I got from work, but that was what I used until 2010.

The ribbon is a nightmare and I would gladly go back to 2000, which did everything I need, but inter-compatibility in the real world and later versions of Windows makes that impossible.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 07:48:13 »
Huh, apparently there is more ribbon hate than I expected.   :p

I'm still not the biggest fan of them after all these years, and I wish they hadn't done it, but I do feel that I've gotten used to them to the extent that going back now would feel weird.  So now it's just this awkward in between where nothing is right.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 08:11:30 »
Helvetica is a ****ty font in terms of readability...

For Times New Roman the Serifs are good for PRINT text..  but that's because print is usually much Smaller than on PC..

If you have a big display.. then Serifs are an unnecessary complication, and takes more processing power from your mind to decode..

on PC ,  Segeo UI has been the best balanced font for legibility.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:21:59 »
In 2007 I said: ok office, enough is enough and switched to openoffice.

Later that year I gave up on windows completely and used linux as my OS of choice.

Now I use windows for gaming, but I'm glad that that's changing too.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:06:48 »
You should get Office 97. Excellent software.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:12:06 »
You should get Office 97. Excellent software.

Or Office 95?  That was a good one.  Stability and useability peaked with Office 2000, then went downhill ever since.

I use LibreOffice at home - no ribbons, free, cross-platform, no ribbons, opens and saves most Microsoft formats, no ribbons :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:51:29 »
i bet someone has made a skin/mod to get office 2013 to look/work like 2002
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:57:21 »
Microsoft Word has been a steaming pile of bug-infested **** since Word 6.0 in 1993; 20+ years of awfulness. Word 5.1 for Mac (and earlier versions, so that’s 1985–1992) was a great piece of software (for the time).
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:01:07 by jacobolus »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:02:28 »
i bet someone has made a skin/mod to get office 2013 to look/work like 2002

http://www.addintools.com/office2010/professionalplus/index.html

something like this?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:55:49 »
I switched to Office 2010 from OpenOffice because Libra kept ****ing up the formatting. While MS 2010 isn't perfect, to me it far superior to Libra at least.
I dunno what you guys are complaining about. One of the great features is the ability to change your starting profile however you see fit, never had any issues once I figured that out.
I'm still not sure what a ribbon is  :-[

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:48:42 »
I switched to Office 2010 from OpenOffice because Libra kept ****ing up the formatting. While MS 2010 isn't perfect, to me it far superior to Libra at least.
I dunno what you guys are complaining about. One of the great features is the ability to change your starting profile however you see fit, never had any issues once I figured that out.
I'm still not sure what a ribbon is  :-[

If I'm worried about formatting, I just use LaTeX: no issues there.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 08:53:11 »
I remember working at IT-support department receiving so many complaints about the new ribbon ui when we upgraded from 2003 to 2007. Usually this calmed them down:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/interactive-word-2003-to-word-2007-command-reference-guide-HA010074432.aspx
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:01:14 »
For just writing a text document, use a text editor. I like TextMate, but emacs, vim, BBEdit, or notepad works just fine. Use Markdown for basic formatting. (This includes preparing manuscripts that someone else will be responsible for typesetting)

For math (or other formula-heavy) papers, use LaTeX.

For typesetting anything else that needs to look pretty printed (e.g. resumes, brochures, technical documents, posters, books), InDesign is so so so much better than Word.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 16:03:10 »
I only use like maybe 10-15 buttons .. once I found where they were on the new ribbon..  I adopted just fine..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:27:02 »
I remember working at IT-support department receiving so many complaints about the new ribbon ui when we upgraded from 2003 to 2007. Usually this calmed them down:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/interactive-word-2003-to-word-2007-command-reference-guide-HA010074432.aspx

It is really, really sad that Microsoft had to create something like this.

Why is the user interface so different?  Instead of paying people to create tools to help people cope with the new interface, why not just pay them to create the new interface that is at least similar to the old one?

Same goes for the control panel.  Up to about Windows 2000 it was the same, easy to find things, familiar.  Now I have to search for everything, which slows down my use of the computer and increases frustration.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:32:23 »

Now I have to search for everything, which slows down my use of the computer and increases frustration.

Of course.

And what year, beginning with "19--" were you born?

Give it up like the dinosaur that you are.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 17:37:16 »
Same goes for the control panel.  Up to about Windows 2000 it was the same, easy to find things, familiar.  Now I have to search for everything, which slows down my use of the computer and increases frustration.

Control panel is so hard to navigate, I've just memorized the names of what I use and "search" for them in the start menu to run them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:38:18 »

Now I have to search for everything, which slows down my use of the computer and increases frustration.

Of course.

Old: Click Start - Control Panel, double-click the entry I want.

New: Click Start - Control Panel, make sure the search field has focus, click on it just in case, try to imagine how Microsoft would describe teh control panel area I am looking for, type the first few characters in, review the list of search results to find one that is a closest match to what I actually want, click.

Maybe I am getting old, but the old way of doing things just seems so much simpler.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:49:53 »

Of course.

New: Click Start - Control Panel, make sure the search field has focus, click on it just in case, try to imagine how Microsoft would describe teh control panel area I am looking for, type the first few characters in, review the list of search results to find one that is a closest match to what I actually want, click.

Maybe I am getting old, but the old way of doing things just seems so much simpler.

Improved New: Push Win Key -> Start typing.

Or is there something more unique to your use case that voids this method?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:19:04 »

Of course.

Improved New: Push Win Key -> Start typing.

Or is there something more unique to your use case that voids this method?

What is the point in having a GUI if you do not use it?  If we could dispense with the mouse completely and just use the keyboard, I would be happy.  But many things are not easily achieved with keyboard alone on Windows.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 17:22:24 »

What is the point in having a GUI if you do not use it?  If we could dispense with the mouse completely and just use the keyboard, I would be happy.  But many things are not easily achieved with keyboard alone on Windows.

You're absolutely right, and I agree that the new control panel is poopy, I was just trying to help for that one scenario. Not that I thought you didn't know how to do that, but perhaps you just hadn't done it out of habit.  ;)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 00:56:54 »
Eth0s,
 if you right click on a button after you've spent a while finding it, you see an option to add it to the quick access toolbar (it hangs out in the title bar). Saves you looking for it again.  Good luck with your adaptation.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 05:30:31 »

You're absolutely right, and I agree that the new control panel is poopy, I was just trying to help for that one scenario. Not that I thought you didn't know how to do that, but perhaps you just hadn't done it out of habit.  ;)

Help appreciated, sir.  I still use Windows XP for a fair percentage of my Windows stuff, I use a Mac at home, and about 1/2 of my work stuff is done on Linux, so I'm probably just a bit slow to change my habits.