Author Topic: Capture laptop screen to another computer  (Read 1437 times)

Offline vasouv

Capture laptop screen to another computer
« on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 03:37:52 »
Hey people. I'm in the process of writing my thesis and I'm making a JavaEE 7 application. I want to do some sort of tutorials, or explaining guides or sth. Instead of doing the usual text + pics articles, I thought of doing videos.

BUT my laptop is quite old and I don't think it can handle the weight of the recording software. Is there any way I can send the signal from the VGA laptop port to my desktop, so I can capture it that way?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Capture laptop screen to another computer
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:23:40 »
Some sort of remote control software, like VNC maybe, would send the images to the faster computer.  That would then only have to capture video from that window.

Any reason why you can't do the programming on the desktop?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 07:39:06 »
Hey people. I'm in the process of writing my thesis and I'm making a JavaEE 7 application. I want to do some sort of tutorials, or explaining guides or sth. Instead of doing the usual text + pics articles, I thought of doing videos.

BUT my laptop is quite old and I don't think it can handle the weight of the recording software. Is there any way I can send the signal from the VGA laptop port to my desktop, so I can capture it that way?

use ur school lab

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:24:00 »
you can get a video capture box and plug it in to the VGA port.

Software solutions like VNC or other screencasting might still work.

If you are using a CLI, then there is no issue, even with extremely old hardware.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:36:05 »
One vote for vnc. Worth a try at least since it doesn't require any additional hardware.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline vasouv

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 11:16:08 »
Good afternoon, sorry for not responding till now, health issues and later limited time prevented me from doing so.

Just yesterday, I tried Camstudio to record video on my laptop and it's surprisingly nice! A bit sluggish to be honest but it gets the job done, I'll stick to it.

To answer your question rowdy, I mostly do my coding on my laptop and when I'm out of the house, desktop is out of reach :P

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 October 2014, 14:59:58 »
One vote for vnc. Worth a try at least since it doesn't require any additional hardware.

2 votes for vnc, tightvnc is fairly lightweight and easy to use.
eh o well