Author Topic: Backlit Keyboard YES or NO?  (Read 18980 times)

Offline usno_oj

Backlit Keyboard YES or NO?
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:12:38 »
Hey geekhackers,
Some people love the look of LEDs shining on their keyboard while others have said "less is more".
I understand it come down to personal preference, but I wanted some opinions as to what ultimately made you decide on one over the other.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: Backlit Keyboard YES or NO?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:13:31 »
Sparkly rainbows are good

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:23:42 »
Kids luv um...

adults... may luv them for all of 15 minutes...

1337 GHers don't give a fff what their keyboard looks like..

I never look at my keyboard..  but I feel it up quite often.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:25:53 »
There's no point in being grown up if you can't act a little childish sometimes.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:29:28 »
I think backlighting looks nasty 99% of the time.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:32:37 »

I think backlighting looks nasty 99% of the time.
+1000
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:34:16 »
late night couch typing requires glo in the dark keys.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:36:38 »
If it was possible to light up all legends evenly, in the centre and in the top/left corner, with double-shot PBT, then it wouldn't be so bad.
Until then, there are other things I value higher.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 16:50:53 »
Prefer non-backlit. Although I work in subdued light, have adequate task lighting to see the keyboard. In addition, the keycaps for non-backlit keyboards are of better quality and appearance.

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:07:19 »
Everyone is different. I only have 2/9 keyboards backlit. It's kind of nice sometimes, but the keycaps tend to be worse as a result.

I'm also of the belief that if you can't see your keyboard, there probably isn't enough light in the room for your eyes to be safe looking at a computer screen.

White keycaps seem to be much easier to see in the dark.

Bottom line, if you want backlit, give it a go.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:10:07 »
horrible.

people say they need them for typing in the dark.

learn to touch type ffs. spending so much on boards and can't even type on them.

same goes with keycap sets.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:36:32 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:51:38 »
Meh, it gives me one more thing to tinker with.  I don't really care either way as I touch type anyways.  I do find that I prefer using my backlit board during late nite gaming sessions, but not because I can't read the keys, but rather I like to have only the leds on my board and behind my monitor on for a nice subtle glow in the room.  Just enough light to keep my eyes happy. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:52:07 »
They look cool for a bit.  My boards that are backlit never have the LED's on when I'm actually using them.  The exception is a single light for capslock or locking switch for fn layer.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 18:00:40 »
I like them in all forms. Fully backlit, selective backlighting, and different modes as well.

The new all white RGB backlit Keycool looks soooooo good.... Waiting till I get paid until I can get one
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 18:30:11 »
The first mech board I bought was backlit. I'm never buying a backlit board again. After a while, it just stayed off all the time, and was basically a $30-40 feature that I never used. I simply don't see the point in having the LEDs. They also don't work nicely with my V2s, so that's a pretty big downside.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 00:53:14 »
IMHO. I thought I was a touch typist, and I never catch myself looking at the keys, but I notice I have a lot of problems typing in the dark.

I think that  perhaps I need to see the keyboard in my peripheral vision to home my fingers.

Unless you go hog wild with backlighting like the corsair RGB, I would backlit for esthetic reasons no.

But backlighting because you type in the dark, yes.

Offline redpandasocks

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 01:24:12 »
Currently I'm not using a backlit keyboard but I had one before this.  I think it really just depends on my mood really.  XD

Plus sometimes the pretty colors are fun to look at, as long as they aren't eye-meltingly bright that is.

Offline Crazyhendrix

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 01:44:10 »
Never bought a keyboard with backlighting... Well, other then my laptop keyboard. Never found a need for them, but they do look pretty to me.
I have 'two' many keyboard. CM Quickfire Stealth(greens) and Poker II(browns)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 04:49:59 »
I work and play in the semi-dark a lot.

A backlit keyboard helps me to enter sometimes long and complicated passwords right first time.  The sort of thing that is difficult to touch type, with lots of symbols in them.

Backlighting can be turned off, and turned on only if you need it.

A backlit keyboard will accept non-backlight-friendly keycaps, and often show a nice underglow when turned up.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:38:25 »
Hey geekhackers,
Some people love the look of LEDs shining on their keyboard while others have said "less is more".
I understand it come down to personal preference, but I wanted some opinions as to what ultimately made you decide on one over the other.

I hate having backlit keys on my keyboard, I don't buy them anymore, the last bl keyboard I owned was a Razer Blackwidow ultimate, I just think it looks tacky tbh.
你搞砸了

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 08:53:25 »
I actually find LEDs distracting. That being said, I find myself not HATING the new GONs as long as the LEDs are white and on the dim side.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:04:11 »
Ultimately it does come down to personal preference.

Personally, I do not like the way they look. I find them distracting as I am trying to look at the monitor, and for most touch typists they serve no function. An additional thing I do not like about them is that the LEDs are often one of the parts that are most likely to break on a keyboard (seems to be common for some brands).

Another thing that I have experienced, is that they are not the most convenient legends to have. Typically, a legend that is a contrasting color to the keycap is easier to read in all except for extremely low light conditions.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:09:24 »
Ultimately it does come down to personal preference.

Personally, I do not like the way they look. I find them distracting as I am trying to look at the monitor, and for most touch typists they serve no function. An additional thing I do not like about them is that the LEDs are often one of the parts that are most likely to break on a keyboard (seems to be common for some brands).

Another thing that I have experienced, is that they are not the most convenient legends to have. Typically, a legend that is a contrasting color to the keycap is easier to read in all except for extremely low light conditions.

So much this
A lot of people don't even care for legends and just use blanks anyway

I still have yet to actually use LEDs for a purpose other than the lock keys (And even then I just don't bother with them)

Besides that whether you're gaming or typing you shouldn't need the backlighting (and if you really need to see the keys turn on a desk lamp?)

Offline nahka

• Did you see that, Fio?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:55:57 »
I used to think I needed them since I was always peeking at my keyboard (It's dark here in Finland) but now that I got blank caps it seems that I need to just look at my board every now and then to assure myself.

I do still like them on Caps and Num lock tho.

Poker II
    Reds

Offline VP

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 16:02:38 »
If You want to be a good typist, do not watch on your keyboard. In my opinion backlit keyboards are for children.

Offline jterp7

• good typing
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:53:00 »
If it was possible to light up all legends evenly, in the centre and in the top/left corner, with double-shot PBT, then it wouldn't be so bad.
Until then, there are other things I value higher.

now that i have two, i agree. One is PBT, but if you're a meticulous person (most GHers are) you will be able to tell the slight backlighting variability. I would say on both about 50% is good (both white) half of the bad is greenish or just darker, the PBT is less noticeable since its not going through, but you can see the green vs pink effect.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:54:48 »
I like having bling.
For something simple and classic like Dolch, I wouldn't want to have any backlighting aside from locks.
For something like a Duck board, I would definitely want to have some rainbow unicorn **** sprinkles.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:12:21 »
I like some backlighting when possible, it looks really nice (plus 1337 gam3r). If only I could just take a live video of the keyboard and show it on a corner in my screen, that would be pretty cool, since I don't see it out of my peripheral vision when typing or playing games.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 00:30:32 »
I personally prefer a subtle glow around the caps.  Can't stand the legends being lit.  This is the one thing about my orbweaver I don't like that I need to get remidied.  That and I do really like the HDD activity LED under my esc key.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline RED-404

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:59:59 »
I don't mind backlighting, but I can't say I have found a backlit keycap that I liked the feel of.
I also don't like directly visible, absurdly bright LEDs so I tend to paint them only leaving a pinprick of light.

Sometimes I even paint the underside of my keycaps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 03:30:04 »
I don't mind backlighting, but I can't say I have found a backlit keycap that I liked the feel of.
I also don't like directly visible, absurdly bright LEDs so I tend to paint them only leaving a pinprick of light.
Show Image
Show Image

Sometimes I even paint the underside of my keycaps.
Show Image

Painting the underside of keycaps sounds kinda hardcore :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 03:54:54 »
rofl
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:13:48 »
For souped up customs, it seems silly not have LEDs, but I don't like them in any other context.
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:15:32 »
I don't use backlit compatible keycaps, so it really doesn't matter whether my keyboard has LEDs or not.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 05:49:24 »
I like them as long as they are not blindingly bright.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 06:08:32 »
Having some backlighting is cool. I own a faceu 60% board and it has breathing light mode and typefaster= brighter mode.
They are simply so awesome.

If you have a backlighting board, you could always disable it when you don't need it.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 06:13:07 »
I prefer non-backlit keyboards. Ihave no problems typing in the dark so I dont see it as necessary.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline onseki

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 07:32:17 »
No...

Before I bought my first big boy keyboard, I genuinely thought that I would need the backlighting. I settled on a high contrast yellow on black Filco, but I hardly even look at the keyboard anymore, unless it is extremely dark, or I am drunk. I still don't think I would like a black on black board, but white, pink or grey would be acceptable for those times when I have to glance down.

Backlighting would interrupt the general experience of typing and relaxing.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 08:34:55 »
Personal preference. I do not like back lighting:

– I prefer subtle looking keyboards ;
– Back lit key caps options are far and few between ;
– LEDs add another, IMO, unnecessary point of failure.

Offline coreXeon

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:53:07 »
I prefer non-backlit keyboards. I have no need for them and the LEDs get in the way when you want to change switch stems.
Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja - Cherry MX Black | Blackwidow 2012 - Cherry MX Blue | Steelseries 6GV2 - Cherry MX Black | Ergodox - 62g Ergo-Clears (WIP)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:07:24 »
Umm, what's the point of backlighting anyway?
  • More eye strain, especially in poorly lit environment and even worse if the lights are bright (e.g., blue-light hazard) or flicker
  • Supporting bad typing/whatever technique that causes additional strain on neck and you name it.
  • More parts that can break, more soldering of questionable quality, usually **** quality keycaps and difficult-to-open switches.
  • Uneven contrast across lettering in most cases (i.e. anything but scissor switches).
If I were into conspiracy theories, I'd argue that backlit keyboards are an attempt to keep certain medical professions in business and support the primitive-capitalist economy running (make moar crap!).

Cherry doubleshots on a painted plate on the other hand…

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:47:08 »
For souped up customs, it seems silly not have LEDs, but I don't like them in any other context.

If I'm going to buy a GoN I'd definitely take LEDs even if it's just for the resale value and e-penis

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 12:56:39 »
I tend to think of backlighting as falling into the same category as keycaps with fancy printing methods...

I mean, if you think about it from a purely functional perspective, for a touch typist, why would it matter if the lettering on some of the keys wears off? The argument, "you shouldn't be looking at your keyboard anyway" applies just as well to the case of pad printing vs dyesub as to backlit vs non-backlit. But some people care about the look of their keyboard, and their taste requires consistent lettering across the keyboard, so they spend the extra money on nicer keycaps. By the same token, some people have a preference for the appearance of backlit keyboards, and are willing to accept the costs to have that look. And that's really all there is to it.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:21:52 »
I don't mind backilghting at all. I mean, it's not like you have to keep it on just because the keyboard comes with it. So, it is off in situations where I don't want it, and on in situations where I do. Though, I do typically operate with the backlighting set to a very low level. I can't imagine the thing turned all the way up, I'd go blind! The one thing that really turns me off is typical backlite friendly keycaps. Those are the worst. Those get removed instantly and instead of illuminated legends, I go with a soft subtle glow under the caps. No shine through is a must.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:57:20 »
I mean, if you think about it from a purely functional perspective, for a touch typist, why would it matter if the lettering on some of the keys wears off?
Idk about you, but I can't feel doubleshot/dyesub lettering under my fingertips, which certainly isn't the case with engraved, painted, laser-etched and sometimes printed legends.

I find some kind of easily visible lettering quite useful, when I'm putting a set on a keyboard—to distinguish different profiles/rows. An obscure use case, but an use case nevertheless.

If it's assumed keycaps with legends (as opposed to blanks) improve accessibility for some users, higher quality printing methods make the final product less complex than backlighting.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:00:08 »
I mean, if you think about it from a purely functional perspective, for a touch typist, why would it matter if the lettering on some of the keys wears off?
Idk about you, but I can't feel doubleshot/dyesub lettering under my fingertips, which certainly isn't the case with engraved, painted, laser-etched and sometimes printed legends.

I find some kind of easily visible lettering quite useful, when I'm putting a set on a keyboard—to distinguish different profiles/rows. An obscure use case, but an use case nevertheless.

If it's assumed keycaps with legends (as opposed to blanks) improve accessibility for some users, higher quality printing methods make the final product less complex than backlighting.

I seriously doubt that those extremely minor differences in feel can explain the popularity (among enthusiasts) of more durable printing methods.

If you want to get into obscure use cases, then people who use backlighting to see their keys in the dark will count. If rare cases of accessibility issues are a concern, then you also have to take into account users with bad eyesight, whose ability to see the keys will benefit from backlighting. If anything, that seems likely to be more common than people who will lose the ability to use the keyboard after their letters start to fade. And of course, even lettering that rubs off within days will do the job if you're just using it to get the keys in the right place.

Anyway, the case of different printing methods is just one of the many ways in which people focus on the appearance of their keyboard. There are also keysets that sell on the basis of having different colors, and novelty keycaps that sell for vast amounts of money despite having a negative effect on the typing feel of the key in question. If you're not going to accept that it's okay for appearance to sometimes trump functionality in people's preferences, surely the latter would be a far more fitting target...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:20:20 »
I seriously doubt that those extremely minor differences in feel can explain the popularity (among enthusiasts) of more durable printing methods.
Considering the obscurity of some switch mods?

If you want to get into obscure use cases, then people who use backlighting to see their keys in the dark will count.
The police officers with backlit TG3 84key keyboards? I don't doubt that. Who else? Uninformed gamers, who strain their eyes for no actual reason?

If rare cases of accessibility issues are a concern, then you also have to take into account users with bad eyesight, whose ability to see the keys will benefit from backlighting.
Someone should tell these companies that make keyboards for disabled people and seniors that they're doing it wrong. Or perhaps size matters.

What backlit keycaps actually feature a legible typeface anyway?

Anyway, the case of different printing methods is just one of the many ways in which people focus on the appearance of their keyboard. There are also keysets that sell on the basis of having different colors, and novelty keycaps that sell for vast amounts of money despite having a negative effect on the typing feel of the key in question. If you're not going to accept that it's okay for appearance to sometimes trump functionality in people's preferences, surely the latter would be a far more fitting target...
Well, people do lots of dumb things. For example, keyboards are often compared to shoes around here… It's interesting how common is outright unhealthy but fashionable footwear.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:22:20 by davkol »

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:53:15 »
i personally dislike backlit because on the one backlit board I have(Quickfire TK) the part where the LEDs are supposed to shine through got greyish from finger oils, so it's way dimmer on the keys that you use more

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 16:10:59 »

If you want to get into obscure use cases, then people who use backlighting to see their keys in the dark will count. If rare cases of accessibility issues are a concern, then you also have to take into account users with bad eyesight, whose ability to see the keys will benefit from backlighting. If anything, that seems likely to be more common than people who will lose the ability to use the keyboard after their letters start to fade. And of course, even lettering that rubs off within days will do the job if you're just using it to get the keys in the right place.

I don't think night time use of your keyboard is an obscure use case at all.  Buying into high end keyboards that you carry from location to location and use to play games and do business seem to include late night surfing, gaming, home entertainment, and programming, text entry.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco