Author Topic: Stuck on first mechanical keyboard  (Read 6486 times)

Offline mrelectric

Stuck on first mechanical keyboard
« on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:24:15 »
Hey!
So, i'm going to purchase my first mechanical keyboard and I definitely want a tactile bump. That leaves me with the browns and the blues, I will be using the board for starcraft 2 and heavy typing. At first I thought I'd get the brown, then I thought that I'm going to spend 80%++ time typing so the blues will be better. After doing some more researching, I found out that some people think that blues have a double tapping problem, why may be a problem for as in SC2 you double tap a key to get to a specific unit, I was wondering if someone with actual experience, i.e. someone with a mx blue board who plays SC2 can shed some light on this matter for me :)

Also another concern is the stiffness of the mx blues, are they a lot harder to press than the mx browns? I honestly do not care about the noise of the blues and truth be told, I rather enjoy the sound. But how much harder is it to press the blue keys than the brown keys?

Any advice/recommendations will be fully appreciated, tytytytytytytytyty  :D

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Stuck on first mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:27:05 »
I never had any issues double tapping while using blues. I dont play SC2 but double tap alot in MMO.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:28:27 »
Are the keys hard to press? Like in comparison to rubber dome keys?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:28:32 »
Firstly:

Secondly, go with MX Blues.  They are lighter than the rubber-dome keyboard you are most likely typing on right now, so they aren't a very high-force switch.  Browns are too light and not tactile enough IMO, and Blues are almost perfect.  So yeah, go with Blues...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:31:16 »
Are the keys hard to press? Like in comparison to rubber dome keys?

It's been a long time since I used a rubber dome, but blues are not hard to press.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:34:24 »
Thanks guys :)) I'm going to get the blues now.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:35:34 »

If blues are too light for your use, you always swap out the springs.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:38:35 »

Haha, doubt it, I was afraid of them being too stiff!

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:39:32 »

Cool. What board are you going to buy?

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:46:18 »

Cool. What board are you going to buy?
A filco TKL, any recommendations?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:50:16 »
Why Filco?  You can get a perfectly good quality board for half the price.  Start off with something like a QuickFire Rapid.  If it doesn't live up to your expectations, sell it and then buy a Filco.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:53:11 »
Why Filco?  You can get a perfectly good quality board for half the price.  Start off with something like a QuickFire Rapid.  If it doesn't live up to your expectations, sell it and then buy a Filco.

I got a demo Filco TKL from elitekeyboards at a reduced price.  I agree with CLiB.  There is no need to spend full price on em unless you just want it Filco.  The CM boards are awesome.  I love my full sized CM with o-ring mod.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:53:37 »
Here in the UK, I found it really hard to get QFR with blues or that would be my number one choice. Then you hear all the scare stories about keyboards with broken switches...yadeyadeyada, so I thought I'd just get the best straight away :P Any other boards you recommend other than QFR/Filco?

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:57:29 »
I got a CM Storm with blues  are worth every penny. You can try for a ducky.

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 12:59:56 »
A Ducky imported from abroad is going to cost the same for me as a Filco (delivery and all), plus I need ISO format, can't stand ANSI, otherwise I would've got a keycool or similar :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:01:02 »
Go with your gut. You can't go wrong with a Filco. No one ever got fired for buying IBM, right? I hate that you've been convinced to go to the dark side with the MX Blues, but you can always sell it when you decide you hate blues, and get a proper keyboard with browns or reds. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:01:30 »
I play a lot of SC2, master 2s, and personally playing on browns blues and reds. I switch between them all the time. I find that I play my best however on browns. I can see why people have problems with double tap on blues because you don't get that bump on the second press unless you let the key go all the way back up. You'll probably end up trying all switches here like me though :P

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:03:47 »
Go with your gut. You can't go wrong with a Filco. No one ever got fired for buying IBM, right? I hate that you've been convinced to go to the dark side with the MX Blues, but you can always sell it when you decide you hate blues, and get a proper keyboard with browns or reds. :P

:( What makes browns/reds preferable to blues (for you)? :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:18:16 »

I doubt anyone who's first keyboard is a quickfire rapid would EVER bother getting a filco, unless he's extremely brand conscious. :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:19:05 »

I got a demo Filco TKL from elitekeyboards at a reduced price.  I agree with CLiB.  There is no need to spend full price on em unless you just want it Filco.  The CM boards are awesome.  I love my full sized CM with o-ring mod.

bah... noo... wait... full size CM is NOT the same as TKL quickfire rapid, One's costar, the other is ione,  ione doesn't "rock" as hard.  :))

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:20:13 »
cclonline UK sell Ducky if you want to have a look at those options.

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:22:32 »
cclonline prices for ducky are the same as Filco prices :P May aswell get the Filco

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:25:19 »
I may get a Das proffesional ^.^

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:30:49 »
Read this before getting a Das:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35375.0

Be weary of Das; they just switched manufacturers and quality is questionable.  Go with the Filco.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:35:52 »
Did you see this new group buy? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36090.0;topicseen
Don't know price comparisons (and if I didn't have a race and a pure on the way to demo), I'd be getting one myself.  Free shipping, yo

Offline aznsilvrboy

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:45:20 »

bah... noo... wait... full size CM is NOT the same as TKL quickfire rapid, One's costar, the other is ione,  ione doesn't "rock" as hard.  :))

I remember I saw a post by CM rep on here that CM Storm Trigger is also Costar.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:46:11 »
Did you see this new group buy? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36090.0;topicseen
Don't know price comparisons (and if I didn't have a race and a pure on the way to demo), I'd be getting one myself.  Free shipping, yo

^This.  Buy one.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 13:58:26 »

^This.  Buy one.

Only £10 less than a Filco, and ANSI layout :( So close.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:05:26 »
Is the price of the filco with shipping, though?

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:10:39 »
Is the price of the filco with shipping, though?

Keyboard company ships free to UK

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:11:52 »
Oh duh, aren't they in the uk?

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:12:14 »
In dollars, I can get a Filco for $170

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:12:27 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 14:31:10 »
:( What makes browns/reds preferable to blues (for you)? :P

I play a lot of SC2, master 2s, and personally playing on browns blues and reds. I switch between them all the time. I find that I play my best however on browns. I can see why people have problems with double tap on blues because you don't get that bump on the second press unless you let the key go all the way back up. You'll probably end up trying all switches here like me though :P

^ This.

Plus I just don't like the clicking sound blues make. For me, buckling springs are the only click that counts. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:18:45 »
I have blues and play Minecraft which involves a double-tap to run.  I have not had any problems with that, and love the feel and sound for typing.

However (not having played SC2), if most of the game involves double-tapping, you might run into bother as you do need to let the key most of the way up before it will register again on the down stroke.  The occasional double-tap should not be a problem.

Anyway with practice you should become used to the keyboard and won't need to bottom out the keys anyway, so that will lessen any issues even more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:33:03 »
I have blues and play Minecraft which involves a double-tap to run.  I have not had any problems with that, and love the feel and sound for typing.

However (not having played SC2), if most of the game involves double-tapping, you might run into bother as you do need to let the key most of the way up before it will register again on the down stroke.  The occasional double-tap should not be a problem.

Anyway with practice you should become used to the keyboard and won't need to bottom out the keys anyway, so that will lessen any issues even more.

Should be ok then, because when I double tap i raise my finger about 0.5cm above the key before pressing it again quickly.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:42:03 »
You will probably be happy with the mx blues then. They're fun to type and play on. The sounds are also satisfying when you play. But instead of going with the Filco, why not get 2 QFRs with 2 different switches?

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 15:52:43 »
You will probably be happy with the mx blues then. They're fun to type and play on. The sounds are also satisfying when you play. But instead of going with the Filco, why not get 2 QFRs with 2 different switches?

I would, but QFR's (bar black switches) are next to impossible to find :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 16:08:15 »
I may be willing to be convinced to let go of my QFR with blues.  I've painted the case black (will take pictures for you if you're interested), but I've only had it about 2 weeks.  Nothing at all is wrong with it, but I have a pure, a race and a ducky yotd blue coming in the mail...

I would have no problem letting you have it for $50 US plus shipping.

Offline tcv

Re: Re: Stuck on first mechanical keyboard
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 18:39:42 »
Hey!
So, i'm going to purchase my first mechanical keyboard and I definitely want a tactile bump. That leaves me with the browns and the blues, I will be using the board for starcraft 2 and heavy typing. At first I thought I'd get the brown, then I thought that I'm going to spend 80%++ time typing so the blues will be better. After doing some more researching, I found out that some people think that blues have a double tapping problem, why may be a problem for as in SC2 you double tap a key to get to a specific unit, I was wondering if someone with actual experience, i.e. someone with a mx blue board who plays SC2 can shed some light on this matter for me :)

Also another concern is the stiffness of the mx blues, are they a lot harder to press than the mx browns? I honestly do not care about the noise of the blues and truth be told, I rather enjoy the sound. But how much harder is it to press the blue keys than the brown keys?

Any advice/recommendations will be fully appreciated, tytytytytytytytyty  :D

Get the browns.

Depending on how you position your hands blue may be too sensitive and cause you to rebind hotkeys on accident.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:21:01 »
My favorite switches are reds. But I say go with blues! You might be underwhelmed with browns. Blues are awesome for people new to mechanical keyboards because of just how different they are from standard rubber dome keyboards. Besides, They're just so fun to type on :D

Edit: by the way, as far as I know double-tapping is never really an issue for anyone. It's one of those things that gets over exaggerated by somebody that experienced it once or twice and they say something about it, and it just begins to spread. McRip effect I think is the proper term ;P
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:25:35 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:31:08 »
Doesn't sound like he will have a problem with the double-tapping.

Definitely an overrated problem.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:33:01 »

What is the point of that groupbuy, you'd wait a month for it to finish just to save $9 ??? Geekhackers arn't broke like dat'

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:33:57 »
Doesn't sound like he will have a problem with the double-tapping.

Definitely an overrated problem.

This problem never existed...... completely fictional... keyboard precision is never part of any game.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:34:29 »
My favorite switches are reds. But I say go with blues! You might be underwhelmed with browns. Blues are awesome for people new to mechanical keyboards because of just how different they are from standard rubber dome keyboards. Besides, They're just so fun to type on :D

Edit: by the way, as far as I know double-tapping is never really an issue for anyone. It's one of those things that gets over exaggerated by somebody that experienced it once or twice and they say something about it, and it just begins to spread. McRip effect I think is the proper term ;P

Then why not go unicomp? ;D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:52:56 »

What is the point of that groupbuy, you'd wait a month for it to finish just to save $9 ??? Geekhackers arn't broke like dat'

I knew when I said that, I'd find a place where they aren't.  http://www.tankguys.com/ducky-keyboard-mx-9087-dragon-blue-abs.html
Where else are blue yotd not sold out?
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 19:55:37 by tjcaustin »

Offline scytheR

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 06:58:28 »
If you can try the different switches, you should be able to decide. Possibly you should go to WASDkeyboards and order some different keyswitches, it'll cost you up to $10 max and you can see what the difference feels like between keys before you buy one. That is, if you're really concerned. But if you want to save that extra $10 and go with your gut feeling, just go for it!

I got to masters 1v1 on NA with a crappy logitech k200 rubber dome keyboard, it'll just enhance your experience while playing, a more satisfying, higher quality feel when you hit the keys. I have felt my friends cherry blue's on a blackwidow and leopold, and my brothers shine II, and my browns on my filco. I personally like browns, and i prefer it to blues (cherry blue lovers please refrain from killing me).
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB