Author Topic: computer won't start/ power up  (Read 2647 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
computer won't start/ power up
« on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:09:34 »
I don't believe it!

I assembled a new computer fine. I did it outside the casing as a trial. Now I put it inside the casing and it won't power up.

What noob mistake did I make?

Power switch is on. Power supply switch is on. Power switch is put into the right mobo connectors. Mobo LED is on. Monitor turns on except no signal. No HDD lights or sounds, no fans work.

All fans connected.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline blackbox

Re: computer won't start/ power up
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:19:23 »
Try shorting the mobo powerswitch manually with a metal clip or something.

Do you have another psu you can try?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline kaotikb

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:23:21 »
Is the cpu atx12v 8pin (4+4 pin) cable plugged in? is the ram seated properly?
Ducky 1087 (Green ALPS) |  CM QFR Stealth (MX Brown) | Unicomp Ultra Classic |Poker II (MX Brown)  | IBM 1391401 1991 | IBM 1391401 1989 | Ducky Shine 3 White Edition (MX Brown) | G80-3700(MX Black) | Corsair K70 (MX Brown) | Varmillo VA87MR (Gateron Red)

Pointing Devices:  Microsoft Trackball Optical (Ceramic bearings Installed)  | Sanwa MA-TB39BK (Larger Ceramic Bearings Installed) | Elecom M-XT2URBK | Kensington Slimblade | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Logitech Trackman Marble Plus

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:32:52 »
UR bios probably just went.. Hai.. dis' ram..  I don't like it....

So reset your cmos, and u should be up n running.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:34:40 »
PSU is new and was working when I assembled the system outside the casing.

Yes, mobo power is connected and RAM seated properly.

Thanks for all responses. I really have no luck with computers.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:36:37 »
PSU is new and was working when I assembled the system outside the casing.

Yes, mobo power is connected and RAM seated properly.

Thanks for all responses. I really have no luck with computers.

what i mean is.. the motherboard does auto detect everytime it boots..  if the ram table is not very compatible.. then sometimes the motherboard will auto designate settings that will cause non-post...

once you get this reset and booted..

input your ram timings and voltage manually if the option exists..

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:12:15 »
FIRST THING TO CHECK:  if your components work outside the case, but don't work inside the case, then it could be improperly wired Power On button in the case.  I've seen this with Fractal cases.  Cheap Chinese manufacturing and the power button is miss-wired.  Will not power on computer, and may ruin the mobo.  Try taking every out of the case again to make sure all parts are still good.

SECOND THING TO CHECK:  Make sure front panel headers are connected properly.  One pin off, and it won't start.

Tertiary Troubleshooting:

1.  Check all power connectors.  I know you checked them.  Double check.  Make sure every plug is plugged firmly, including wall socket.

2.  Check GPU is seated properly.  Sometimes it's not all the way in, but looks like it's in.

3. Check SATA cables, make sure all connected firmly to Drives and to MOBO.

4.  Check RAM is seated correctly, and in the correct slots. 

5.  Unplug everything that is unnecessary.  Fan controller, other nonsense, get rid of it. 

6.  If everything checks out, then you may have shorted out the MOBO when you were installing into the case.  It is very easy to do, a small static charge will do it.  Especially if you're working on carpet.

7.  You might also have shorted out the RAM modules, either one or both with static charge and/or rough handling.  Dropping them can damage them.

8.  If your components are good, then something is shorting out the PSU, some bad connector somewhere.  Did you resleeve your cables?  If yes, then check all the connectors to make sure all pins are in correct alignment.   

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:29:28 »
what if I shorted them with static electricity without knowing it? are they permanently dead?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 18:43:55 »
what if I shorted them with static electricity without knowing it? are they permanently dead?

highly doubt you short out anything.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:22:48 »

Pulled everything out and reconnected everything and still not working! This is so frustrating! As I said, I'd first assembled the whole thing outside the casing to make sure it worked, and it did! Now transplanting it into the casing and it dies again!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:39:56 »

Pulled everything out and reconnected everything and still not working! This is so frustrating! As I said, I'd first assembled the whole thing outside the casing to make sure it worked, and it did! Now transplanting it into the casing and it dies again!

did you use the motherboard risers?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:45:55 »
Could you also take some pictures of it? Interested in seeing:

General cabling
Connectors on mobo

Also if possible a video showing you turning on the pc would help alot. :)

Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:36:27 »

did you use the motherboard risers?

yup. so it should theoretically be not in contact with the metal casing.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 07:07:21 »
Try shorting the mobo powerswitch manually with a metal clip or something.

This^^

I find a screwdriver usually works well.

If it still doesn't work, try this:

... reset your cmos...

Still not good, try different RAM if you have some.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:17:32 »
Remove the parts from the case, reassemble outside the case again, and see if it still starts.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:48:28 »
Could you take some pix that we can take a closer look?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:11:49 »

I packed everything up but will try again this weekend. All the wires and sharp metal things being exposed don't make my family happy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:52:28 »

I packed everything up but will try again this weekend. All the wires and sharp metal things being exposed don't make my family happy.

long as it wasn't plugged in.. what could happen ..

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:06:02 »

long as it wasn't plugged in.. what could happen ..

You don't have kids. Kids can do anything under the sun if you let them. Everything sharp can and will be stepped on, tripped over, pushed around, knocked over, grabbed, put in mouth, fought over, etc.