Author Topic: 3D Printer Malware?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
3D Printer Malware?
« on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 06:41:19 »
Phishing that leads to remote access that is followed by a few STL tweaks? All because SOMEONE helped themselve to a random PDF datasheet sent via email. Malicious datasheets = my kryptonite. :eek:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/21/researchers-sabotage-3d-printer-files-to-destroy-a-drone/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: 3D Printer Malware?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 06:53:54 »
More creative than me, I'd just have it print a bunch of ****s
I love Elzy

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 07:11:03 »
More creative than me, I'd just have it print a bunch of ****s

At the very least you can find a few hundred phallic shaped objects in one of them CC type 3D printing websites.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 13:06:02 »
it exists, but it is very rare. it mostly happens to standard printers anyway.
hi.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 16:47:39 »
This is just a bunch of buzzword bullsh*t trying to capitalize on 3d printing, it's entirely impractical.

Basically, it's click bait.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 17:05:24 »
Some people might find it interesting. It's kind of funny that Techcrunch published this malware article and later published ANOTHER article about the 'decline' of 3D printing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 20:47:58 »
Some people might find it interesting. It's kind of funny that Techcrunch published this malware article and later published ANOTHER article about the 'decline' of 3D printing.

I think 3D printing is really useful..  But not at the Hobbyist level.. Because the parts made by hobby level machines are just too inaccurate and flimsy..

The printing boom was a surge in hobby-home machines, under the promise , --you can make stuff--,

Truth however,  yea you can make key chains, that's about it...   anything that requires some sort of structural integrity, it's just not practical to make on a home-printer.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 01:10:03 »
This is just evil. No real benefit to producing this kind of technology. Congrats to them on finding another way to ruin things though.
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 01:33:07 »
To a degree, yes, but I still think it's mostly clickbait.

I think 3D printing is really useful..  But not at the Hobbyist level.. Because the parts made by hobby level machines are just too inaccurate and flimsy..
The printing boom was a surge in hobby-home machines, under the promise , --you can make stuff--,
Truth however,  yea you can make key chains, that's about it...   anything that requires some sort of structural integrity, it's just not practical to make on a home-printer.
I hear this sort of thing all the time, and honestly, it boils down to people under estimating what they are capable of and the inability to think outside the box.

You're used to seeing things made with injection molding and metal and expect to make things the same way, which is incorrect, you have to engineer it far differently from those methods due to the materials being used. A good example is boats, you can make one with wood, steel or fiberglass, but each has very different construction to take advantage of it's properties.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 05:03:53 »
To a degree, yes, but I still think it's mostly clickbait.

I hear this sort of thing all the time, and honestly, it boils down to people under estimating what they are capable of and the inability to think outside the box.

You're used to seeing things made with injection molding and metal and expect to make things the same way, which is incorrect, you have to engineer it far differently from those methods due to the materials being used. A good example is boats, you can make one with wood, steel or fiberglass, but each has very different construction to take advantage of it's properties.

I think they could have used open source malware and socially engineered the method to entice people of the industry. Kinda old news regarding malware that opens a remote connection I guess. But malicious datasheets, Jesus. Almost as bad as millions of 'IoT' devices, all jacked in with default settings unchanged.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 18:54:06 »

Outside the box is right..  as in , anything made with 3d printing with remotely decent structural integrity will be at least 5x-10x as large as a cnc milled part..

It's good for rapid prototyping in a pinch, and exteriors,  but Mechanically,  there's very little use for it.

At the very best,  hobby machine might crank out a doll which a kid would probably break by the end of 1 hour.

I've spent 2 entire months , full time, playing with 3d printers with a development team that intending to sell them..

I've come to the personal conclusion that at the hobby level, they're too much on the toy side..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 04:51:39 »
Wow, 2 whole months.

I suspect another problem is that you see what comes off the printer as being the final product, rather than the tool that makes the tools that makes the final product, we've used it to make tools, jigs, molds for rubber, resin and even metal casting. The same happens if you have a cnc mill or lathe, you don't always just mill things out of metal, sometimes you make molds, specialized tooling, or even just a jig to hold material while you mill it.

The fact that you compared it to metal tells me right there you weren't engineering for the material you were working with and that you were most definitely not thinking outside the box. Falling back on traditional methods is fine, but you need to keep in mind that this is not traditional manufacturing you were working with. You're not alone in this, we've had to show guys with 20 years cad experience what they were doing wrong because they just weren't grasping the technological differences between this and traditional manufacturing.

I've been working with them for over 3 years now (full time) and grew a company around them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More