Author Topic: Switch opening?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
Switch opening?
« on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:37:49 »
So I have recieved my box jades and I like them so far but before I solder everything in I wanted to make sure I wouldn't like them heavier. So I have an idea. I have box pale blues right now. I will just swap the springs in them. One problem. I don't have a switch opener, and can't seem to open them with my nails. Is there an easy way to open them without a switch opener?
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline Faceman76

Re: Switch opening?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:41:40 »
Buy the right tool for the job or you risk damaging them.

Switch openers start at under $10 on Amazon and nicer units are available at places such as The Key Company, etc...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 17:47:18 »
without the tool you can scratch up or break the tops.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 18:41:17 »
I normally use tweezers on Cherry/Gateron switches since I have no issues opening them that way, but do plan on getting an opener since I recently got a set of Navy's and don't feel like chancing cracking the top housing.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 18:52:58 »
Box switches are easy to open without breaking them without a specialized tool, much easier than Cherry and Gaterons.

My preferred method is two single edge razor blades but anything flat and super thin works, just slide them up under the clip (use the sides, not the sharp edge) and they pop right open. I've used finger nails, poster board (doesn't last long), nail files, x-acto blades, micro sd cards (not recommended), sim card tools, small flat head screwdrivers... Whatever handy that is as thin as possible.

267613-0

Yes, for Cherry and Gaterons, get a tool, there are ones you can make pretty easy, 3d printer, toothpicks, paper clips, but a nice tool really is helpful, but Box Jades, nah.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 22:24:59 »
Also, this is an option, Just don't open them, and be happy. This is Soooooo much easier. saves you hours of labor.

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 22:39:07 »
Also, this is an option, Just don't open them, and be happy. This is Soooooo much easier. saves you hours of labor.

Actually, I was bored so i estimated the time it would take me and it would only take about 1-2 hrs assuming I can fully change out the springs in 1 switch in a minute consistently(that would be 2 hrs, if it was 30 secs per switch it would only be 1 hr)
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline Me

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 22:40:11 »
And I got a switch puller with my jades and was able to use the edge of that pretty easily for my test switch. Also I liked the heavier version a lot better actually, it kind of has a cushiony feel to them.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 09:05:25 »
And I got a switch puller with my jades and was able to use the edge of that pretty easily for my test switch. Also I liked the heavier version a lot better actually, it kind of has a cushiony feel to them.
If you have a heavy touch, it's nice to have a cushy feel opposed to slamming into a wall, right?  I too prefer heavier springs. 

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 09:47:34 »
YSK, Box jade with Pale Blue spring is basically BOX Navy.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 10:52:19 »

With a softer click bar, no?

Offline Me

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 18:29:42 »
No the box navy and box pale blue have the same clickbar.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 19:49:53 »
Box switches are easy to open without breaking them without a specialized tool, much easier than Cherry and Gaterons.

My preferred method is two single edge razor blades but anything flat and super thin works, just slide them up under the clip (use the sides, not the sharp edge) and they pop right open. I've used finger nails, poster board (doesn't last long), nail files, x-acto blades, micro sd cards (not recommended), sim card tools, small flat head screwdrivers... Whatever handy that is as thin as possible.

(Attachment Link)

Yes, for Cherry and Gaterons, get a tool, there are ones you can make pretty easy, 3d printer, toothpicks, paper clips, but a nice tool really is helpful, but Box Jades, nah.

Thanks for this, started to attempt to open w/ my tweezers that I use for switches (turns out my Polia's are a nade by Khail).  This trick will simplify things while I wait for an opener.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Me

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 21:52:34 »

And also you should know that seeing as your profile picture is literally a box navy!

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 22:23:30 »

And also you should know that seeing as your profile picture is literally a box navy!
No need to be curmudgeonly.  :D

I do love the Box Navy with 100g(140 bottom) springs.  Waiting for Sprit to restock their 40g click bars to give them a try, too.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 23:22:14 »
You’re confusing them, the BOX Navy and Pale blue does not have the same clickbar, the White and Pale Blue have the 0.25 Clickbar while the Jade/Navy have a 0.30 Clickbar.

Offline Me

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 14:51:57 »
Oops. That was a typo. I meant to say that box navy and box jades have the same clickbar.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:37:25 »
Oops. That was a typo. I meant to say that box navy and box jades have the same clickbar.
Apology accepted. 

Offline Me

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 17:08:16 »
Allright, thanks.