Author Topic: This thread is about adult beverages  (Read 19285 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
This thread is about adult beverages
« on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:43:54 »
What do GH'ers pour in their glass after a long day? Personally, I am a man of distinguished mustache and cigar flavored steak tastes. Drink of choice being scotch and sometimes cognac, but mostly scotch. Ardbeg Uigeadail and The Glenlivet 18 Year Old Speyside are currently my favorites among the golden ichor of the gods known as scotch. What's in your glass?

This stuff right here, oh yes please.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 October 2012, 22:38:59 by mkawa »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
This thread is about about adult beverages
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 23:44:37 »
I like beer. Belgian sours and west coast style IPAs most of all. just picked up some St. Georges B&E bourbon that I find quite good. Had a bottle of glenlivet 21 that I was quite fond of a while ago but it is long gone :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: This thread is about about adult beverages
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 23:46:32 »
beer fan. although i haven't drank in a long time.

belgium wheat for me!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 00:13:02 »
I like beer. Belgian sours and west coast style IPAs most of all. just picked up some St. Georges B&E bourbon that I find quite good. Had a bottle of glenlivet 21 that I was quite fond of a while ago but it is long gone :D

Wow, I like your style!!!  Belgian style sours and west coast IPAs FTW!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 01:42:07 »
I'm mostly a beer man myself. But when I'm not enjoying my Canadian or Coors light (feel free to rip my head off) I enjoy a good gin with carbonated water and a bit of lemon (not tonic or club soda, too sweet). I used to have a drink "sparkler" that would carbonate my drinks for me but it got recalled for exploding. I miss that device.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 02:06:55 »
I'm mostly a beer man myself. But when I'm not enjoying my Canadian or Coors light (feel free to rip my head off) I enjoy a good gin with carbonated water and a bit of lemon (not tonic or club soda, too sweet). I used to have a drink "sparkler" that would carbonate my drinks for me but it got recalled for exploding. I miss that device.

You know how I feel about you drinking coors light! Also, club soda is just carbonated water...tonic is the sweet stuff. Your sparkler was just making club soda :D

When I have money, I like to drink IPAs. But most of the time I buy whatever is on sale, cause I needs me fix.

Oh and I do enjoy my cider, miss being able to buy my favorite...Ontario sucks for booze really.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2012, 02:09:17 by Halverson »

Offline Seltox

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 02:40:22 »
Poor student here, so I mostly just drink whatever the local beer is (mostly Carlton Draught for me)

But when I get to have my choice of beer i'll drink Asahi.  It's my favourite beer ^_^

But again, that's only beer.  My real favourites are Scotch & Jagermeister.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 02:45:22 »

You know how I feel about you drinking coors light! Also, club soda is just carbonated water...tonic is the sweet stuff. Your sparkler was just making club soda :D

When I have money, I like to drink IPAs. But most of the time I buy whatever is on sale, cause I needs me fix.

Oh and I do enjoy my cider, miss being able to buy my favorite...Ontario sucks for booze really.
[img]

I tried the Strawberry Lime and Apple Blackcurrant flavours of Rekordelig Cider for the first time the other day - pretty great stuff.

Otherwise, I'm usually happy with just a simple beer, mostly Coronas.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 03:12:02 »
You guys down under gotta drink the good stuff! Drank a lot of that while failing to fish off the beaches.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:04:56 »
Gotta be a Balvenie Doublewood...

Quite partial to a 16 year old Lagavulin as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:06:50 by GMC »
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:35:14 »
Something in the vodka line usually goes down quite well. Wisent is very smooth. Absolut vanilla is another favourite.

Or a simple beer, probably Asahi, Kirin or Corona in that order.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:55:08 »
You guys down under gotta drink the good stuff! Drank a lot of that while failing to fish off the beaches.

Show Image

Something in the vodka line usually goes down quite well. Wisent is very smooth. Absolut vanilla is another favourite.

Haha, is it wrong that import beers are our favourite? Personally I hate Tooheys and VB.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 05:57:49 »
^Tooheys and VB are pretty horrible haha. Drank a lot of Becks there, till they stopped importing it and opened a factory somewhere there for it...never quite tasted the same.

Offline Seltox

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 06:59:01 »
I'm really not a fan of VB, but i'm fine with Toohey's.  I always go for Carlton Draught if i'm drinking local beers though.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:30:38 »
Beers are alright....but I prefer a nice malbec or a cucmber vodka gimlet.

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 10:00:44 »
Beers:

Liquor:

^Goes great with some Red Bull...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 14:20:41 »
I love Żubrówka. Straight up or with apple juice and lemon.

Sadly I have run out and it's not sold in USA. Help me out Polish freinds.
In the mean time I make due with some Russian Standard Platinum.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:11:46 »

Show Image

Haha, is it wrong that import beers are our favourite? Personally I hate Tooheys and VB.

Can't stand VB either, but a Coldie is nice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:13:20 »
There was already a thread on this btw... just an FYI.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25228.msg590262#msg590262
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:17:19 »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tcv

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:19:43 »
After surveying page one, I guess no one is going to pop in and post pics of bud light or red bull and vodka.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:44:25 »
I've noticed that many of us are not merely keyboard connoisseur, but connoisseur of many things. Fine keyboards, fine booze, fine smoke, fine food, fine audio equipment and many fine taste in music... some of us are quite fashonistas too I believe. If it can be had in a higher quality, we must have it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:46:28 »
I've noticed that many of us are not merely keyboard connoisseur, but connoisseur of many things. Fine keyboards, fine booze, fine smoke, fine food, fine audio equipment and many fine taste in music... some of us are quite fashonistas too I believe. If it can be had in a higher quality, we must have it.

Fashion thread?! :O

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:46:56 »
read: geekhackers are suckers
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:48:34 »

Nono

GeekHackers^

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:48:35 »
Pretty much lol...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:50:12 »

You mean this? http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=32952.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 18:10:31 »
So this stuff was amazing. Full endorsement. I have tried the chocolate wine before, but this was much tastier.
6673-0

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 18:11:47 »

Nono

Show Image

GeekHackers^
sorry.
dorky suckers.

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 19:05:54 »
I had this back when I was living in Norway with hubby. It's one of my favorite stouts

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:09:15 »
Reminds me of a Guinness, which I don't mind from time to time.

Damnit - now I'm going to have to go get one ...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 20:36:18 »
I had this back when I was living in Norway with hubby. It's one of my favorite stouts

Show Image

Mmmm that's a sexy looking glass.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 21:26:50 »
You guys are just pissing money away for NO reason..   :)) :))

I've reached the Zen of Drinking long ago.. Drinking to "get drunk", TASTE is for children.......  I'm OLD >:D

Travelers Club Vodka, 1.75 Liters for $10, 80Proof, Cheaper than Everclear, unless Everclear is on sale.  :eek:

I drink exactly 89ml of this stuff whenever I'm bored.. Works instantly...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: This thread is about adult beverages
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 04:52:48 »
Oh yeah, Absolut 100 = 100 proof (50%).  It's got a bite to it :)

80 proof is for the kids ;)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 06:00:18 »

Lol. We may as well all start drinking bacardi 151 then! 75.5% gets ya by the boo boo if ya know what I mean!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:33:34 »
Sounds nice :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 18:50:24 »

It's not about "how strong" the concentration is..

I'm talking about Liters of Alcohol Per dollar..

@ 80proof,  Travelers Club Vodka comes out to

$14/ Liter of pure alcohol
1.4 cents per milliliter of pure alcohol
62 cents per shot of pure alcohol

Cheapest Everclear is $20/ Liter of pure alcohol

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 18:55:50 »

Wow, I like your style!!!  Belgian style sours and west coast IPAs FTW!
Show Image

those are some good beers you have there WRX! I love visiting the lost abbey whenever I go down to SD (also Alesmith, port, etc). What did you think of rose de gambrinus?

if you ever make it out here we'll have to hit up Russian River and toronado/ beer rev.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 October 2012, 19:02:34 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 19:13:26 »
Some vsop henny with a nice cigar...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 19:19:27 »
My favorite, 30 jack 70 coca cola =)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 19:28:02 »

Yes, I realised that.  Absolut 100 is actually kinda expensive, compared to other vodkas.

Probably something like Stolichnya is one of the cheaper ones in Australia (been a while since I compared prices as I generally buy it for taste, per se, rather than economy or volume).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 12:30:42 »

Yes, I realised that.  Absolut 100 is actually kinda expensive, compared to other vodkas.

Probably something like Stolichnya is one of the cheaper ones in Australia (been a while since I compared prices as I generally buy it for taste, per se, rather than economy or volume).

I went through my alcohol snobbery phase during college... I realized that I wasn't getting drunk as often / quick enough with expensive liquor, and usually end up drinking alot more bittery liquid/water than I care for.. ;D

Offline blighty

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 12:37:29 »
I love Żubrówka. Straight up or with apple juice and lemon.
Show Image

Sadly I have run out and it's not sold in USA. Help me out Polish freinds.
In the mean time I make due with some Russian Standard Platinum.
It's sold in Brooklyn liquor stores.  At the bar I work at we use it in one of our house drinks.
Edit: Not all liquor stores, but we get it from a local store, so at least one place in BK is selling it.  We do have a decent Polski population here, so it makes sense.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 October 2012, 12:42:02 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 22:35:42 »
Not usually snobby with my booze. Vodka tastes the same to me at every level, as does rum and gin. The only time price == quality is with single malt scotch vs mixed scotches and micro brew beers or imports vs US piss water like bud/coors/pbr/really any beer you can also buy at a gas station.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 23:25:20 »
Not usually snobby with my booze. Vodka tastes the same to me at every level, as does rum and gin. The only time price == quality is with single malt scotch vs mixed scotches and micro brew beers or imports vs US piss water like bud/coors/pbr/really any beer you can also buy at a gas station.

Try St.Georges Terrior and tell me all Gin tastes the same. ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 14:25:34 »
If they are selling proper Żubrówka, they are breaking some laws. It's actually banned in the US due to the coumarin content. You can get some that is not made in the traditonal manner with artifical flavor in the US, but it is crap in comparison.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:12:48 »
If they are selling proper Żubrówka, they are breaking some laws. It's actually banned in the US due to the coumarin content. You can get some that is not made in the traditonal manner with artifical flavor in the US, but it is crap in comparison.

Helllo. cancer...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:20:50 »
Hmm I wonder if us Canadians get the good stuff, I've seen it at the liquor stores. Going to have to try myself some. Żubrówka, that is.

Offline mztriz

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:45:31 »
lol wow a lot of GHers have expensive tastes...

I enjoy Dogfish IPA 60, Guinness, and pretty much any liquor that isn't Vodka or Gin -- preferably rum.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
This thread is about adult beverages
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 21:46:14 »
I'm drinking PBR tonight :)