Author Topic: Finally got my new HHKB Pro 2  (Read 8566 times)

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
Finally got my new HHKB Pro 2
« on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:55:44 »
Okey, so guess what? MY HHKB FINALLY CAME!!!

I'm not sure wether I like it or not yet though, I guess time will tell. I honestly don't like how the topres feel atm. It simply feels weird right now. Bear in mind this is my first time ever typing on a topre switch though, so I'll try to get used to it before I say anything. And for some weird reason: I got the third DIP switch enabled, but the delete still works as a delete, and not as a BS, anyone knows why?

EDIT: Just replugged the thing and now it works fine ^^ Anyways, just to clarify my problem with the topres; it just isn't that instant satisfaction that I was first expecting to get :c Anyone want to add something?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:00:18 by Sagii »

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
Re: Finally got my new HHKB Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:00:11 »

I'm not sure wether I like it or not yet though, I guess time will tell. I honestly don't like how the topres feel atm. It simply feels weird right now. Bear in mind this is my first time ever typing on a topre switch though, so I'll try to get used to it before I say anything. And for some weird reason: I got the third DIP switch enabled, but the delete still works as a delete, and not as a BS, anyone knows why?

Grats on your new board! I would give it a week or two to get used to how Topre feels. After a week, try using another board and see how it feels then.

Did you make sure the board was unplugged when you changed the DIP switch?
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Sagii

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:01:06 »

Grats on your new board! I would give it a week or two to get used to how Topre feels. After a week, try using another board and see how it feels then.

That's probably what I'm gonna do, give it a week or two. For the unplugging thing, check my edit :)) I'm stupid!

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:09:17 »

That's probably what I'm gonna do, give it a week or two. For the unplugging thing, check my edit :)) I'm stupid!

I was underwhelmed by Topre at first, but they grew on me. ;)

But from the reports I have read, they are not for everyone! If you find you are still not pleased with your board an extended period of time, you might want to switch it up!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:15:08 »

But from the reports I have read, they are not for everyone! If you find you are still not pleased with your board an extended period of time, you might want to switch it up!

I must be the odd one out haha. I actually really liked 55g from the first day of typing on it and despised 45g when I tried it. I understand why they're not for everyone, but I'm glad I tried it, and now I love it more than any MX switch (but damn, lubed clears make it a very close decision).
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Sagii

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:16:42 »

I must be the odd one out haha. I actually really liked 55g from the first day of typing on it and despised 45g when I tried it. I understand why they're not for everyone, but I'm glad I tried it, and now I love it more than any MX switch (but damn, lubed clears make it a very close decision).

Well.. I typed on some blacks here the other day, and I actually really liked them. Topre 45g actually feels too light at this point :/ we'll see how it goes.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:27:34 »
Give it a month....If you're used to Cherry, Topre will feel odd at first...I think a lot of people's first reaction is, this just feels like my old rubber dome keyboard...and in a lot of ways, it does...When you use it for awhile though, you'll start seeing the differences between the two...when you go back to a cherry board you may find you actually miss your Topre....

OR

You might never like it..which is fine...

Offline Sagii

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:37:19 »
Give it a month....If you're used to Cherry, Topre will feel odd at first...I think a lot of people's first reaction is, this just feels like my old rubber dome keyboard...and in a lot of ways, it does...When you use it for awhile though, you'll start seeing the differences between the two...when you go back to a cherry board you may find you actually miss your Topre....

OR

You might never like it..which is fine...

Well, thing is; I've never been used to cherry, so yeah! I've only been used to rubberdomes!

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:32:56 »

EDIT: Just replugged the thing and now it works fine ^^ Anyways, just to clarify my problem with the topres; it just isn't that instant satisfaction that I was first expecting to get :c Anyone want to add something?

Yes I want to add this: you have read too much about Topre. They are good, but so are Cherry MX switches. The problem is that there are people singing the praise of Topre for whatever reason, and they are so vocal about it that it creates a reality distortion field.

Disclaimer: I'm typing this on Topre (Realforce 87U). Last week I would have been typing this on Cherry MX brown, blue or red.

Oh, and don't worry: given the price you have paid for the HHKB, you will love it in a few days. It's automatic. It comes with the price tag.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:35:58 »

Yes I want to add this: you have read too much about Topre. They are good, but so are Cherry MX switches. The problem is that there are people singing the praise of Topre for whatever reason, and they are so vocal about it that it creates a reality distortion field.

Disclaimer: I'm typing this on Topre (Realforce 87U). Last week I would have been typing this on Cherry MX brown, blue or red.

Oh, and don't worry: given the price you have paid for the HHKB, you will love it in a few days. It's automatic. It comes with the price tag.

Funny thing is, I learned the psychology behind that thoughtprocess a couple months ago (studying psychology). We'll see if it still works :)) And yes, I've defo gotten a bit too hyped 'cause of all the praise, but I was also prepared that I might NOT like it ^^' We'll see how I feel 'bout it in a couple weeks.. if I REALLY don't like it, I can just sell it!

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 15:42:31 »

Funny thing is, I learned the psychology behind that thoughtprocess a couple months ago (studying psychology). We'll see if it still works :)) And yes, I've defo gotten a bit too hyped 'cause of all the praise, but I was also prepared that I might NOT like it ^^' We'll see how I feel 'bout it in a couple weeks.. if I REALLY don't like it, I can just sell it!

Now that's interesting. Can you please elaborate on this psychological side? Because I'm absolutely convinced that we are almost unable to be objective when it comes to keyboards, and I would really like to know about the underlying psychological mechanics behind this.

One thing I have noticed, is that even when we are convinced that the "feel" (tactile feel) of the switch is the most important thing, we are actually heavily influenced by the sound it makes. But most of the time we do not realize it.

I assume you mean something else that what our senses tell us.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:01:39 »

Now that's interesting. Can you please elaborate on this psychological side? Because I'm absolutely convinced that we are almost unable to be objective when it comes to keyboards, and I would really like to know about the underlying psychological mechanics behind this.

One thing I have noticed, is that even when we are convinced that the "feel" (tactile feel) of the switch is the most important thing, we are actually heavily influenced by the sound it makes. But most of the time we do not realize it.

Well, I'll be honest and say that I'm not an expert on this yet, I'm just barely done with my first year :)) And I realise what I said earlier was not really accurate. I don't know the "thoughtprocess" per se, I just know that such a process of liking something just simply because you've put effort into it is a real thing.  What's interesting though, it's been "proven" (best word I could think of) in a couple experiments that for example buyer's "argumentation", and how you start to like something if you've put enough effort into gaining it (for example lots of money), actually is a "real" satisfaction.
There's no difference between that and the satisfaction you feel for something at once (according to these experiments). The same goes for happiness, the happiness you imagine, will sooner or later become a "real" happiness. They took people with extreme demencia and let them rank 5 pictures from which they liked the best to worst. Then they were given the picture (for a few minutes, before they took it back) they liked second best. Then, a couple hours later when everything was completely forgotten, they did the same thing again, only this time they actually rated the picture they the first time had said to been second best as the best. In other words, there is a real cognitive change in the brain that helps you be happy with what you got (if that's what you'd like to call it).

This is, however, not something I've read in any proper psychology books, just something I found in my leisure time, and I've never seen any documention of the experiments or anything, so it could ofc be completely false :)) I still think it's an interesting concept though!
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:04:45 by Sagii »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 19:19:52 »
I swap my keyboards around a lot, but I always come back to my HHKB.

I was also kinda meh the first time I typed on it, and because I use many different keyboards with a more conventional layout, but only the one HHKB, it took me a while to get used to the function key combinations, particularly for arrows.

But I am slowly getting there, and each time I switch back to HHKB it feels like I have come home.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 19:53:30 »

Well, I'll be honest and say that I'm not an expert on this yet, I'm just barely done with my first year :)) And I realise what I said earlier was not really accurate. I don't know the "thoughtprocess" per se, I just know that such a process of liking something just simply because you've put effort into it is a real thing.  What's interesting though, it's been "proven" (best word I could think of) in a couple experiments that for example buyer's "argumentation", and how you start to like something if you've put enough effort into gaining it (for example lots of money), actually is a "real" satisfaction.
There's no difference between that and the satisfaction you feel for something at once (according to these experiments). The same goes for happiness, the happiness you imagine, will sooner or later become a "real" happiness. They took people with extreme demencia and let them rank 5 pictures from which they liked the best to worst. Then they were given the picture (for a few minutes, before they took it back) they liked second best. Then, a couple hours later when everything was completely forgotten, they did the same thing again, only this time they actually rated the picture they the first time had said to been second best as the best. In other words, there is a real cognitive change in the brain that helps you be happy with what you got (if that's what you'd like to call it).

This is, however, not something I've read in any proper psychology books, just something I found in my leisure time, and I've never seen any documention of the experiments or anything, so it could ofc be completely false :)) I still think it's an interesting concept though!

It makes a lot of sense.

I sell an app on the App Store and its price is relatively high compared to the average price for an average app. I believe my app is of good quality, because people can try it for free and then decide to purchase it. It has an average rating close to 5/5 (it's around 4.8/5). The free version, which is a limited demo, has a rating around 4.5/5.

I tried once to drop the price of the non-free version to free for a short time (it was a promo). I have NEVER got so many bad reviews than when the app was free.

It tells a lot about the way to price a product.

What I have learnt is that a quality product MUST NEVER be priced too low, even if it is cheap to produce. Trying to fight on price actually hurts the perception of a product in the eye of the customer. Let your competitors fight on price and destroy themselves in the process. :)

For a low quality product, the strategy is different. Look at what companies do when they try to sell rubber domes keyboards to "gamers" for an example. :)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 19:55:54 »

I was also kinda meh the first time I typed on it, and because I use many different keyboards with a more conventional layout, but only the one HHKB, it took me a while to get used to the function key combinations, particularly for arrows.

But I am slowly getting there, and each time I switch back to HHKB it feels like I have come home.

Same here, but with Cherry MX brown. Or maybe Topre. Or maybe Cherry MX red.

Anyway, I have a G84 with Cherry ML in the mail... :)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 21:27:57 »

Not sure if you're serious..but this has been completely debunked.  See 660c as an example.

I do agree with your feel comment though..a lot of what people think they feel is actually sound or is mostly sound..

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 23:14:07 »
Well I have to say, half the reason I bought my HHKB was for the looks and the beautiful thock sound of the Type-S. Maybe I am just a rubber dome aficionado since I never spent that much time with cherry. I do have to say that there is a difference, using random keyboards at school there are a lot that feel like complete ****. They may be a rubber dome but they are in a different class from most of the others.

I would have to agree that if you spend a lot on an item then you will think it is good. I mean if you just spent $350 on a new keyboard it better feel greater than an $80 one, or atleast that is what the brain hopes. There are always exceptions, and there are some people who do hate the HHKB even if it is hyped up a lot. I think this is the same reason that some "audiophiles" will swear up and down that their $100+ gold plated "monster" cable makes music sound better than a random $5 one - even when blind tests have proven it does not make a noticeable difference.

Edit: FWIW, I use a HHKB at home and WASD V2 with clears at work. I enjoy them both.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 00:02:13 »
The problem is that there are people singing the praise of Topre for whatever reason, and they are so vocal about it that it creates a reality distortion field.

So true in every way.  But this is Geekhack, the place for excessive claims and fantasies  8) .  Whatever keyboard you shall type in front of you know that you shall not be the first nor the last person to ever experience the horror/delight of owning a 'Thorpie'.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 04:18:13 »
A quick update: I'm liking this keyboard more and more, the only problem ive got at this point is the fact that it still feels too light :/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 04:51:59 »
A quick update: I'm liking this keyboard more and more, the only problem ive got at this point is the fact that it still feels too light :/

Maybe 55g is for you.

I like my HHKB, but also prefer MX blacks and greens, so I'm thinking that I'd prefer 55g Topre.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:04:23 »
Topre made me love MX more.

MX made me love Topre more.

I think your expectations were too high :(

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sagii

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:18:36 »
Topre made me love MX more.

MX made me love Topre more.

I think your expectations were too high :(

Yeah... I believe my expectations were too high, indeed :/

Offline Kmynis

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:27:15 »
I also thought it's a little light until yesterday, when I had to program for few hours. My pinky would have been dead if the fn key was any heavier. Home, end, F9,F10 seemed quite taxing on pinky if you use these keys a lot. So 45g gets a big + from me when it comes to working.

I would love to try some 55g hhkb with a 30(?)g fn key. As far as I've read, the 55g gives better feels, but a light fn key would make it better for more intense work with the text.
HHKB Type-S
Filco TKL MX Red

Offline Sagii

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 05:32:07 »
I also thought it's a little light until yesterday, when I had to program for few hours. My pinky would have been dead if the fn key was any heavier. Home, end, F9,F10 seemed quite taxing on pinky if you use these keys a lot. So 45g gets a big + from me when it comes to working.

I would love to try some 55g hhkb with a 30(?)g fn key. As far as I've read, the 55g gives better feels, but a light fn key would make it better for more intense work with the text.

Yeah.. well, i'm gonna give this board a couple weeks, if I still don't like it I'm gonna try out blacks or clears

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 07:44:53 »

This. I typed for a full year on my Filco MJT 2 TKL with Browns, as hesitant to keep my HHKB2 Pro as my daily driver. But now, after 4 months or so, when I try my Filco again for an hour or so, I switch back to my HHKB. I have no idea what it is about Topre (and it is not that I am in for the niche or that I have to justify the price point), but there is something I am really fond of with that switch.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 08:59:01 »

This. I typed for a full year on my Filco MJT 2 TKL with Browns, as hesitant to keep my HHKB2 Pro as my daily driver. But now, after 4 months or so, when I try my Filco again for an hour or so, I switch back to my HHKB. I have no idea what it is about Topre (and it is not that I am in for the niche or that I have to justify the price point), but there is something I am really fond of with that switch.

I think a lot of people go through that...A lot of people will get used to their Topre and when going back to MX they'll miss their Topre...Although plenty of people don't feel that way either.

For me, I enjoy typing on Topre a lot more...I enjoy my MX boards as well..But the overall typing experience is more enjoyable for me on Topre...  Now for gaming, that is another story..MX by a lot..I can't stand Topre for gaming..*shrug*..

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:47:48 »
Topre is like ecstasy. You keep saying you don't feel anything then out of nowhere it creeps up on you.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:26:11 »
I can't say I know of anybody who was unhappy with their Topre keyboard. I'm sure you will enjoy using yours.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:33:14 »
I can't say I know of anybody who was unhappy with their Topre keyboard. I'm sure you will enjoy using yours.

I for one was thoroughly disappointed with my 87u

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:36:03 »

Show Image

I for one was thoroughly disappointed with my 87u

You must be talking about the Boeing 747-87U aircraft, right?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline shantanujoshi

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:38:04 »
Just switched from blues to topre and there was honestly a break in period with my HHKB Pro 2 so give it time. There's also a very efficient market for HHKBs so you can probably sell it pretty easily if need be.
Never judge a man by his post count
[Hasu 55g HHKB PINK RFs] [GON HHKB Zeals] [GON TKL w/ Erg Clears] [IBM SSK] [VE.A Zeliostotles] [Ergodox Gatistotles]

Offline ckar

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 16:11:25 »
For what it is worth, I am very happy with my Topre keyboard.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:01:46 »
Congrats! I am going to get an realforce 87U that will be my first topre keyboard that I own. I expect to use some weeks to get really used to it.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:11:51 »
The FC660C I bought gave me instant gratification and more over time.

My HHKB Type-S had took a few days. I am not sure if it is because I was use to the stiffer Topre keys on the Leopold but placebo or new purchase euphoria doesn't work on me. As a result, I can genuinely say that there is a large possibility you will like it more over time and find it difficult to go back to any Cherry switch besides Blues.

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 17:27:10 »
The smoothness is what defines topre for me. O lord the smoothness!

Offline Lammie

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 11:58:21 »
Topre is like typing on butter, that smooth. But I found the 45g way too light. Trying a 55g may be a solution. Heard great things about these.
And by the way, also consider the Matias switches. They are way nicer than the MX switches I think.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:06:08 »
Topre is not as smooth as well broken in Cherry with a set of good caps..

I'd rank Cherry + thick-pbt above topre in smoothness.

the absolute smoothest keyboards available, are new $5 rubber dome keyboards...

Offline Lammie

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 12:10:07 »
Which mx switch type you mean? Clears perhaps? possibly so.
Don't think broken in MX browns ever get as smooth as Topre. Just Never. Or you maybe drown the mx switch in oil...
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:49:59 »
Don't think broken in MX browns ever get as smooth as Topre. Just Never. Or you maybe drown the mx switch in oil...

Indeed. Due to this thread I got curious and tried my browns again, but they feel more 'grainy' than my Topre. I think my HHKB is butter smooth. Weirdest thing is that where I first found the tactile feedback lacking, I somehow got used to not bottoming out on my Topre's.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 16:37:37 »

Lubed Ghost Black MX (worn/broken in before lubing) with POM caps is the smoothest switch I've felt so far.  But I only recently got into Alps and I heard those things are even smoother than MX (but have keycap wobble).

Off topic.  My bad.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sagii

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 07:56:32 »
Well, wether I like the board or not.. I keep longing back to it whenever I'm at work or anywhere else :))

Offline shantanujoshi

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 10:11:41 »

Definitely agree with this when comparing my cherry to the 45g topre
Never judge a man by his post count
[Hasu 55g HHKB PINK RFs] [GON HHKB Zeals] [GON TKL w/ Erg Clears] [IBM SSK] [VE.A Zeliostotles] [Ergodox Gatistotles]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 19:03:21 »
Well, wether I like the board or not.. I keep longing back to it whenever I'm at work or anywhere else :))

This is where you start thinking about buying a second one to use at work!

Offline Sagii

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 02:52:27 »

This is where you start thinking about buying a second one to use at work!

Eh, well.. I'm a guide at an art gallery, sculpture park and a wooden grindery (reaaaally dont know what you'd call that, they make the main raw material for making paper at least.. it's really old). So using a keyboard would be hard :))

Offline Polymer

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 09:40:27 »

Indeed. Due to this thread I got curious and tried my browns again, but they feel more 'grainy' than my Topre. I think my HHKB is butter smooth. Weirdest thing is that where I first found the tactile feedback lacking, I somehow got used to not bottoming out on my Topre's.

I'd like to see it..sorry, I just don't believe when people say that..Unless you type really slow and in a very oddball fashion (which is also slow) like the like palm of your finger (or whatever it is called..the part w/ your finger prints) like I've seen some person video themselves doing...then I have a hard time believing anyone that says they're not bottoming out at all...

OR you have 30g Topre...in which case I think it is possble...

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:53:47 »

I'd like to see it..sorry, I just don't believe when people say that..Unless you type really slow and in a very oddball fashion (which is also slow) like the like palm of your finger (or whatever it is called..the part w/ your finger prints) like I've seen some person video themselves doing...then I have a hard time believing anyone that says they're not bottoming out at all...

I have to agree with this.

There is simply no way you can type normally or fast without bottoming out on Topre. Unless you can control your actuation force within fractions of a second. This is difficult at full concentration. Pressing light on the bump and then increasing until you get over the bump then lessening so you don't bottom out which is like a millimeter of distance (from actuation to bottom out).

Yeah... Not possible. Perhaps Topre is so smooth after breaking in its giving you the illusion of not bottoming out. That seems more likely.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:21:49 »

I have to agree with this.

There is simply no way you can type normally or fast without bottoming out on Topre. Unless you can control your actuation force within fractions of a second. This is difficult at full concentration. Pressing light on the bump and then increasing until you get over the bump then lessening so you don't bottom out which is like a millimeter of distance (from actuation to bottom out).

Yeah... Not possible. Perhaps Topre is so smooth after breaking in its giving you the illusion of not bottoming out. That seems more likely.

Good point. Well, it's all subjective I guess. My 45g Topre feels harder to actuate than my 45g Browns, but I do agree that when typing fast I bottom out a lot more. Perhaps it is indeed the smoothness to it that gives me the impression of not bottoming out. Perhaps a difference is that the HHKB is not plate-mountend, making it feel 'softer' somehow compared to my plate-mounted Filco.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 17:47:45 »
Update: Felt like giving a quick update.. just want to say that I'm sitll liking my topre, but I'm defo considering selling it and getting a Noppoo Choc Mini with blacks instead ^^' I'll keep using the HHKB for another week or two though, just to be sure!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 18:58:27 »
Good point. Well, it's all subjective I guess. My 45g Topre feels harder to actuate than my 45g Browns, but I do agree that when typing fast I bottom out a lot more. Perhaps it is indeed the smoothness to it that gives me the impression of not bottoming out. Perhaps a difference is that the HHKB is not plate-mountend, making it feel 'softer' somehow compared to my plate-mounted Filco.

I have to agree. When I had browns they felt way to light - I kept accidentally pressing keys and having all kinds of typos. However, with my 45g HHKB I have had no issues. They feel closer to my MX clear board.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:18:01 »

Not sure how bottoming out is subjective...It actually is very objective. 

That said, I believe you think you don't bottom out..but really you do...The way the dome collapses, there is just no way you're not bottoming out..

Not saying every stroke is like that, but most are..not saying you're slamming down hard...but you're hitting bottom...

Really, if you don't bottom out, you don't get any thock either..and really, that is probably half the enjoyment...