Author Topic: Best tactile switch?  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
Best tactile switch?
« on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 20:42:42 »
I am trying a new concept on my new kb and that is having different switches for different keys on the board. I will have linears for wasd and maybe the arrow keys("gaming keys"), clicky for the alphanumeric, and tactile for the mods. I am using kailh box pale blues for the clickys, and creams for the linears, but I don't know what tactile switch to use. I was thinking about zeals, but they are kinda pricey. Any suggestions?
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

tp4, compendium of speed, 2015

Offline andred

Re: Best tactile switch?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:05:40 »
I'm doing something similar with the new GMMK Pro when I get it. I am using tactiles (Zealios 67g) for alphas and most other keys, linears (Tealios, which have the same 67g spring weight) for the mods that you hold down, and a single Kailh Box Navy (super heavy and clicky) for caps lock. I'm not sure yet about the arrow keys.

I also did that with a numpad, where I used a Box Navy for num lock, a tactile for enter, and linears for the rest, because I think linears are perfect for fast numpad data entry.

I like how you're doing it too, especially if you like clickies!  :thumb:

As far as which tactile to recommend in terms of best value, I'm eager to see what others say about that.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:07:38 by andred »

Offline Me

• Location: Niskayuna, Capital Reigon, NY State, US, North America, The Atlantic, Earth, The Sun's Solar System, The Milky Way, The Quadrant of the Universe that the Milky Way is in, the known Universe, the whole Universe, the theoretical Multiverse, this dimens
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:18:15 »
Thanks! I know you technically didn't answer my question, but I'm fine with that as it shows that I'm not the only one with this idea and that it's entirely feasible. Also, I just had another idea. What if you put the backspaces(or keys that you spam a lot) as linears so they're fast. That corresponds because I couldn't find an 8/4 pack for the linears so I bought a 10pk from aliexpress(so long shipping times uhhhhhh), and I have 2 bkspaces in my keyboard layout(colemak), so I could use the 2 xtra switches for those. Do you think this is a good idea? Also do you recommend the zeals based on price to performance ratio? I technically could spend the money if its worth it, I just don't want to.

P.S. I just got my 70 pale blues from novelkeys and they are amazing! I couldn't try them out on an actual keyboard tho as I have never owned a mech before and have nowhere to put them into. I wish that there was a way that you could put switches into a thing so that you can type on them to test them out without them actually being connected to the computer(hint hint they should totally make 40% switch testers)
"In the end...the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine...Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..."

Offline Me

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:18:35 »
Does anyone still say P.S.?

Offline andred

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:35:00 »
I've never felt like I need speed for backspace, but there're no rules here, and that's part of the fun. Especially if your keyboard happens to be hotswap, then you can try different things without doing much work, assuming you already have the switches you need without buying too many extras. Even if it's not hotswap, you can still get a feel for it before soldering; just insert the switches into the plate, add caps, and see how you like it.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to talk about price/performance ratio and I don't want to misdirect anybody there. Despite being pricey, I picked Zealios because I got a switch tester and I liked them the best. I also liked that they feel great without lubing or filming, which I've never done but it looks like a lot of work. :-[

Other thoughts on mixing switches...
  • I have heard of people mixing heavier/lighter switches based on finger strength.
  • It might be worth considering that different switches have different travel distances; some switches press down farther than others. Personally, I don't think that would bother me.
  • I could see switches with very different actuation points becoming a nuisance, but I don't have any actual experience with that. It would probably only only be a problem if you were mixing switches of the same kind, e.g. linears with linears.
  • For my mix of linears and tactiles, I thought it would be nice if the switches had a consistent weight/spring feel, which is why I went with Tealios.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:36:16 »
Zeals are nice, but honestly, much of the time the difference between a high end boutique and a common switch is the lube.
I'm not saying Zeals and other boutiques aren't worth it (depends on the person) but you can get 95% of the feel just by finding something similar and lubing them yourself.

If you want a nice tactile that doesn't cost a fortune look at Cherry Clears and Kailh Purple Pros, lube them (not the tactile bump!) and install better springs in a rating you like. The Clears are stiffly sprung and both use budget springs that can ping.  Both will result in a nice tactile switch. Novelkeys springs are well priced and you can get the switches there which saves on shipping.

If you want tactility on par with Box switches get 62g Zeals then swap springs with something mid 40g, though this makes for a quite expensive switch. Are they worth it? They are if you want the most tactile switch you can get, these have the tactility of Jades/Navies without the noise (and shorter throw). Just keep in mind these will be very light and that much tactility is not everyone's cup of tea. Note that not every switch reacts to a spring swap like these do, it depends on the leaf and tactile bump for it to work. Clears and purples only got lighter with lighter springs, the tactility hardly changed at all.

Edit:
On my 39g Purples I have to run stiffer sprinsg for space and left shift, the space is just nicer but the shift is necessary to keep from accidentally activating it. This isn't an issue on the Zeals as teh activation pressure and tactiliy is so much higher despite having identical springs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:52:48 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Me

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 22:55:26 »
Alright, thanks! One more thing. Should I lube the other switches? I have heard things about box switches not taking lube very well, and I was wondering whether I should lube them or not. Thx again!

Offline Me

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 23:02:11 »
Also I am only buying 10 switches so since I am only buying such a low amount of switches should I buy a better one?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:07:27 »
Most switches already have lube the question is how much.
My Box switches (Jades) had a well lubed clicker and reasonably well lubed stem, more made very little difference but I'm hyper sensitive to it, few would notice I think. Lubing springs helps with ping but if you're getting clickies ping is less a problem. So it kind of depends on you and the batch. If you don't use light springs you probably won't benefit much, not all switches do while others absolutely do. Some of it again depends on the person but can also depend on the batch. One user said their Purple Pros were fine out of the box, mine were unusable for me until I lubed them due to the amount of sticktion they suffered, I could use Jades for a few hours without strain (I use suuuuper light springs) but the purples hurt my hands in less than 10 minutes. Lube fixed that and with a spring swap I was quite happy with them, they went from painful to a top 3 favorite until they got bumped down my Zeal. Still a fantastic switch.

As for buying more expensive switches due to low numbers..
Don't buy samples of switches if you aren't prepared to build an entire board with them. You're only buying 10 now but what happens if you try Zilents and fall in love or something more exotic? Now every board you build gets compared to this and you won't be satisfied until you build an entire board with them. Even if you're happy with this board when done, what happens on the next one? We aren't talking about a car that is completely out of your price range, like you said if you really want them you can afford them so it's not like test driving an exotic Ferrari, you know you can't have the Ferrari but you CAN have the switch and if you fall in love you won't be satisfied until you have them. This is why car dealers love test drives, they know you can afford it and once you drive it you will find ways to justify it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 March 2021, 01:09:30 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Me

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 08:28:26 »
Allright, thx. I think I will do what you said with the purple pros. Any suggestions on lube? Also you didn't really answer my question about the box switches. Since the other 2 types of switches in my board are box switches, should I lube them too or just the purple pros. Any lube recommendations?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 08:56:31 »
Allright, thx. I think I will do what you said with the purple pros. Any suggestions on lube? Also you didn't really answer my question about the box switches. Since the other 2 types of switches in my board are box switches, should I lube them too or just the purple pros. Any lube recommendations?

I haven't tried a box switch that wasn't smooth out of the box, to my tastes anyway. Which other box switch were you thinking? I think all you mentioned previously were pale blues.

Offline Me

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 08:59:57 »
If you didn't know I am trying a combination of switches to suit the different needs on a board. I will be using linears(box creams) for the wasd, arrow, and backspace keys(i have 2 bkspaces in my layout), clickys for the alphanumeric keys(box pale blues), and tactiles for the rest of the modifiers. I don't know what tactile switch to use, and thats why I came here. Leslie said to get purple pros since they are cheap and ok, then lube them and replace the springs to my taste, and voila! An amazing switch. That is what I think I'll do, unless anyone else has any suggestions to make

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 09:11:44 »
If you didn't know I am trying a combination of switches to suit the different needs on a board. I will be using linears(box creams) for the wasd, arrow, and backspace keys(i have 2 bkspaces in my layout), clickys for the alphanumeric keys(box pale blues), and tactiles for the rest of the modifiers. I don't know what tactile switch to use, and thats why I came here. Leslie said to get purple pros since they are cheap and ok, then lube them and replace the springs to my taste, and voila! An amazing switch. That is what I think I'll do, unless anyone else has any suggestions to make

I hadn't even heard of box creams yet. I assumed you meant NK creams, which don't use the box design.

She's done a lot of experimentation with tactiles, a lot more than I will ever care to. It is a good bet that her recommendation feels great to anybody looking for an MX-based tactile. The problem  is that there is no best tactile switch. It all depends on what your preferences are. I haven't felt an MX tactile that I like, myself, but I'm also not someone that particularly likes tactiles to begin with.

Offline Me

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 09:14:05 »
ok, maybe I mistook the nk creams for box creams. So that means I should lube them. I will prob follow Leslie's advice, and get the pro purples. Thanks, all, and goodbye!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 09:22:37 »
ok, maybe I mistook the nk creams for box creams. So that means I should lube them. I will prob follow Leslie's advice, and get the pro purples. Thanks, all, and goodbye!

Well, both exist, apparently. I don't follow linears or tactiles much myself. I do have a lot of time in typing on stock box switches though. Every single one I have tried is smooth enough for me. The closest thing I have to those box creams is probably their box silent pinks, which are definitely nicer to me than MX silent reds right out of the box, which a lot of people seem to like completely stock as well themselves. NK creams have a reputation for being quite nice without modification, so box creams might as well? I have no idea how long they've been on the market myself.

Offline Me

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 09:43:42 »
yep, they were box creams. Idk if they are worse/better than nk creams tho

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 00:45:11 »
I did mention the Box switches early on, they were fine, you can lube them and it will help but only marginally. I doubt you could tell unless they were side by side. I wouldn't bother unless you go with lighter springs.

As for lube I differ from the norm.
I use Superlube Dielectric grease for metal to plastic contact, be it springs or stabs.
I use Finish Line Flouro Extreme with ptfe for plastic to plastic contact.
The Dielectric has been used in the hobby for a while but not Finish Line, everyone seems to just go straight to Krytox. This is a tad thinner than the Krytox and whole lot cheaper. It's not 100% identical but it's worked fine for me. If you go super light on springs (sub 35g on purples) I would consider an oil based lube rather than grease but I doubt you plan on going that low for springs, nor would I recommend it.

Like Maledicted said, there is no perfect switch for everyone, I have yet to find it for myself, hence all the experimentation. I've listened to others and been burned and listened to myself and been burned, all you can do is just keep inching closer and closer to what you're after and maybe find something interesting along the way.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Me

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 08:54:26 »
Ok, thanks Leslie, your great. Always have some good advice to give. I think I know what I'll do now, so thanks everyone, but I'm going to lock this topic. Bye!