Author Topic: What other hobbies consume your time?  (Read 14678 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What other hobbies consume your time?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 23:32:53 »

"Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests"

Can confirm.

Tp4 has denied for years, maintaining Tp4 is not sick,

Tp4 will research this further, but, Perhaps, Tp4 has been too busy obsessing to realize that he's got a problem with obsessing.

Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else ?

But, let's say Tp4 reads up on this , what would be the outcome of obsessing over the fact that one obsesses ??

Offline JP

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 08:17:35 »

"Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests"

Can confirm.

Tp4 has denied for years, maintaining Tp4 is not sick,

Tp4 will research this further, but, Perhaps, Tp4 has been too busy obsessing to realize that he's got a problem with obsessing.

Perhaps this was obvious to everyone else ?

But, let's say Tp4 reads up on this , what would be the outcome of obsessing over the fact that one obsesses ??

Show Image

TP4 gets stuck in an endless loop. Someone will need to perform a reboot.

When you obsess about something is that particular obsession eventually allayed?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 09:27:39 »

TP4 gets stuck in an endless loop. Someone will need to perform a reboot.

When you obsess about something is that particular obsession eventually allayed?

Mmmmmmmmm... One could say, Tp4 is reasonable enough to set practical limits on obsession. For example, Tp4 COULD buy a $3000 spectrophotometer,  BUHhhhhh,  Tp4 settled for a $200 colorimeter (which Tp4 got on sale for $135).  So, preserved is the ability to analyze cost/benefit curves.

Offline captainkai

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 01:54:06 »
just parenting  :eek:

Sounds about right  :))

Aside from parenting, mine are cars, pc building, playing sports, EDC (if you can call that a hobby)

Offline Altis

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 18:11:34 »
PC gaming, audio production, various outdoors, and various firearm sports (skeet shooting taking most of my time/expense). On a break from cars/motorcycles at the moment (just a normal car).

Unfortunately, I have a lot of hobbies and most of them are really expensive.  :-X
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Keytrak (Blue Alps) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- G80-1800 (MX Blue) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 20:15:36 »
PC gaming, audio production, various outdoors, and various firearm sports (skeet shooting taking most of my time/expense). On a break from cars/motorcycles at the moment (just a normal car).

Unfortunately, I have a lot of hobbies and most of them are really expensive.  :-X

My apologies this is unrelated to your comment but I was reading your keyboard collection, how did you get the KUL ES-87 with zealios? 

Offline Altis

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 20:24:38 »

My apologies this is unrelated to your comment but I was reading your keyboard collection, how did you get the KUL ES-87 with zealios?

Bought the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears, bought some Zealios, and swapped them in.  :cool:
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Keytrak (Blue Alps) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- G80-1800 (MX Blue) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad

Offline eas

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 21:01:56 »
Gardening, comics and Udemy (software stuff)
Want to learn about PCB design but probably never will.

Long term want to study a specific language

Yeah study is fun for me.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 00:26:30 »

Bought the KUL ES-87 with MX Clears, bought some Zealios, and swapped them in.  :cool:

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to desolder the MX Clears then solder on the Zealios?

Offline Altis

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 00:34:21 »

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to desolder the MX Clears then solder on the Zealios?

No problem! Yep, each one. It doesn't take all that long provided you have a somewhat decent soldering gun and solder remover.

Offline Nuji

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 06:40:31 »
learning javascript so i can finally delve into the hidden realm of after effects.

i'm mostly using eloquent javascript for learning. if anyone has any recommendations lmk (:

Offline neoberg

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:25:48 »
Paragliding and family are the two things that I spend time outside of work.

Offline flurryvelvet

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 08:32:50 »
Playing my ukulele and guitar.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 14:06:07 »
I love studying languages, reading, playing on my piano, and saving up and eventually buying a Hurdy Gurdy.

Traveling enters in, when I can afford it.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:35:52 »
Messing with custom firmware, outdoors, and Tacoma stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 18:16:59 »
I love studying languages, reading, playing on my piano, and saving up and eventually buying a Hurdy Gurdy.

Traveling enters in, when I can afford it.

Also, maybe tech up 2 Bag Pipes..

Online Maledicted

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:02:15 »
Computers, video games, history, modifying/fixing things, listening to metal (I do this much less than I would like), firearms.

Keyboards, ironically, are a lot cheaper than firearms, so I'm saving some money lately.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:05:56 by Maledicted »

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:06:04 »
Pets, collecting knives. Eating?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 00:16:27 »

Eating knives, collecting pets.

Offline StickyBlueJuice

• Tactile pls
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 02:52:01 »
Hardware, love fiddling with it, tinkering with it and getting stuff to work. I work with computers every day but I still don't mind helping people in my free time. I think I'm lucky in that regard. So this is probably my main hobby.

Gaming. I can go through massive dry spells where I don't play anything. And other times I'm swimming in games to play.
Like right now I've got: Escape from Tarkov, COD:MW & Star Wars: Fallen Order. - After I'm done with SW I've got the new Spider-Man game to purchase and play.

Other than that it's just spending time with wife and doggo's.

Offline yui

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 03:33:30 »
well like a few here hobby includes cooking/baking, making stuff/building pc, playing with/on old servers, reading, playing video games, old cars...
actually keyboards cost enough to not take too much of my time (cause i spend i guess already too much in old hardware and my old car)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 15 January 2020, 05:35:59 »

Eating knives, collecting pets.

It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • I like keebs and cereal
    • My promotion link
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 12:09:35 »

Used to. Drugs have been helping.

Keebs certainly qualifies as an -autism- spectrum hobby,  but it seems GH is darker than previously thought.

Well yeah, sometimes we get into weird hobbies. What would you expect?

I used to love fidgeting with pipecleaners, that consumed a lot of my time when i was a kid.

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 06:59:58 »
For me it was cooking. That was until keyboards sapped all my time and money.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
  • "Losing the digital battle one digit at a time."
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:22:04 »
I did a lot of wood carving years ago and got the bug to get back into it. I turned a couple of carving mallets out of scraps a few days ago.234155-0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝕸𝖃 𝕭𝖗𝖔𝖜𝖓 𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖘𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 10:59:31 »
Unfortunately my only other main hobby is photography, which is even more expensive than keyboards :confused:

234157-0
234159-1
234161-2

Offline yui

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 00:53:44 »
those are nice photos though, and if you do not mind a bit of manual everything, when on a budget, old lenses and adapters are pretty cheap and can give cool effects.

Offline alexsandro22

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 06:55:01 »
I like soccer, camping, working with wood. Even playing chess with old friends ;d

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 03:31:20 »
I've been writing a lot lately. Comedy scripts like I'm creating a tv pilot, but for no one.
I wish I had a writing partner to bounce ideas off of, because on your own there's really no way to tell if what you've done is good or funny.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 05:30:01 »
Without a doubt people who are obsessed about keyboards have at least some mild form of autism, but with that comes meds, and with meds may come the need to keep dark spirits away.

I've been checked, I'm "clean".  Or the tester's reliance on the very communication skills affected by the condition meant we were talking about two different things as happens in many conversations about anything throughout my life.  My lack of apropriate emotional response was noted but because I don't (think/notice) how I create routine and have logic'd round anxiety I'm fine.

Other hobbies?  There's only ever one at a time.  I have barely used computer fans from the quest for silence that consumed me for a while, partially complete amp and DAC projects and headphones that haven't moved in years from my audiophile stage as well as keyboard stuff.  Currently building up a stash of bike parts - only got 1 bike but it has 8 wheels and 5 sets of handlebars...

Maybe my hobby is shopping?  Though there's a lot of research before any purchase so it's not impulsive/a problem.

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller

Offline yui

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 02:02:55 »
Unfortunately my only other main hobby is photography, which is even more expensive than keyboards :confused:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

well at least you are good at it, if those are your photos, i dunno how it works but you could try making money out of that.

Offline carnageasada

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 11:18:48 »
Brewing, shooting, field craft, running, biking, drinking, gaming - not necessarily in that order.

Online Maledicted

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:25:56 »
Brewing, shooting, field craft, running, biking, drinking, gaming - not necessarily in that order.

What sort of guns have you got?