Author Topic: 0.2 mm lead in H or 2H? No longer made?  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
0.2 mm lead in H or 2H? No longer made?
« on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 12:11:18 »
Since I occasionally make technical drafts of components and parts by hand, I commonly use mechanical pencils in 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7mm in hardness 2H, H and HB respectively. Recently I thought about getting a Pentel Orenz in 0.2mm for even finer detail. However, 0.2 lead (which is only made by Pentel), seems to only come on HB, B and 2B. These are too soft to allow for the fine lines I am looking for. Pentel seems to have made H grade .2 lead in the past as part of their Hi-Polymer line, these seem to no longer be made…

(Elusive 0.2 in H, no longer sold...)

Does anyone know of 0.2 leads in either H or 2H which are still sold (somewhere)?

Offline Olumin

Re: 0.2 mm lead in H or 2H? No longer made?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 12:43:27 »
Jetpens have them.

https://www.jetpens.com/Pentel-Ain-Stein-Lead-0.2-mm-HB/pd/11966

They used to, they dont sell them in H or 2H. What you linked is HB...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 15:10:29 »
Hrrrm... well..  if you only let out a little bit of the tip at a time, it shouldn't be that much more brittle than h/2h.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 05:01:27 »
Hrrrm... well..  if you only let out a little bit of the tip at a time, it shouldn't be that much more brittle than h/2h.

B is soft, H is Hard. Any number prior to that indicates how hard or soft, the bigger the number, the softer/harder the lead. HB is the middle ground, standard hardness. I am looking for harder lead, as they draw finer, less dark lines. I don’t worry about breakage as the Pentel Orenz protects against that.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 06:58:29 »
IIRC the lead you have a picture of in your first post (Pentel Hi-Polymer) was the only pencil lead in 0.2 that had an H variant.

At this point that lead hasn't been available for a good four+ years so you might be out of luck. Check eBay every now and then... maybe you'll find some.

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 07:26:55 »
tbh when i did try to get really fine details on a drawing i used to "sharpen" my 5mm leads on a piece of scrap paper
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Olumin

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 17:06:37 »
Yes, I use a 2mm pencil and sand paper for that purpose. It would just make things easier to get a 0.2 in 2H/H instead.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 07:23:25 »
When I was drafting in pencil in the 1970s-1980s I used these to get needle-sharp points. They work fantastically well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Staedtler-Mars-502-Lead-Pointer-Tub-Sharpener-Mechanical-Pencil-Draft-MJ/312431411966?hash=item48be5d02fe:g:xgEAAOSwEVlcQC49
“Look, what I’ve gone through nobody’s ever gone through. I’m a very legitimate person. I built a great business. Everything’s been …. I’ve been under siege. Nobody has ever seen anything like this in this country. Now in other countries, in other third world countries, or Banana Republics as they say, a Banana Republic. We’ve become a Banana Republic. At the border we’ve become a Banana Republic. With so many other elements of our country we’ve become a Banana Republic. You take a look at what’s happening with inflation. That’s a Banana Republic inflation what we have.” - Donald Trump 2024-06-06