Author Topic: Lucky, Part 2  (Read 1468 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Lucky, Part 2
« on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 12:50:55 »
Imagine being stuck @ home in Yesteryears, without Internet/2080Ti/4K monitors/webcams/Netflix/washing machine/ indoor heating/ indoor plumbing/$1 loaves of bread

The old Plebs had at best, a deck of cards, maybe a board game. not the gud' board games either, it was probably just checkers.

The Oligarchs would've had some books, that'd be good, but these were already luxuries.

It's bad, but Tp4 is still grateful of the era.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Lucky, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 13:25:16 »
Imagine being stuck @ home in Yesteryears, without Internet/2080Ti/4K monitors/webcams/Netflix/washing machine/ indoor heating/ indoor plumbing/$1 loaves of bread

The old Plebs had at best, a deck of cards, maybe a board game. not the gud' board games either, it was probably just checkers.

The Oligarchs would've had some books, that'd be good, but these were already luxuries.

It's bad, but Tp4 is still grateful of the era.

Show Image

Checkers, but no Chess? A deck of cards for some poker and a chess board sounds pretty nice, actually. Books have been pretty common since the printing press, although it obviously took a while for education to catch up, so how far back are we talking?

I honestly don't know that I would want to live without modern technology though either. I'm always glued to a computer, and the internet.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 13:05:09 »
Now that i think about it we are really lucky. I will get retro handheld and nobody can stop me

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:28:30 »
I know the intent of the thread is comparing and contrasting modern times with 150+ years ago, so I do agree that this is better than that. However...

I sometimes consider all of these things a curse. I have got into the habit of listening to podcasts or Youtube videos when I workout in my garage, go walking, eat a meal, etc. But the last few times, I realized I'd rather have the quiet; it's nice to do things in peace once in a while. Once I finish up a couple of TV shows, I've decided to take a step back from video entertainment and try to fill my time with other things: reading, playing an instrument, or some kind of home improvement project. Over the weekend, I fixed a broken drawer, cleared a clogged drain, and installed a new faucet, and those were the most enjoyable things I'd done all week because I actually accomplished something.

I miss the days of playing cards or chess by candle light when the power went out. I guess a forced return to simplicity is why I like camping with friends so much. It's just food, fire, and friends (the three F's?).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.