Author Topic: Question regarding Blue Alps and Rama  (Read 2204 times)

Offline ptykozoon

Question regarding Blue Alps and Rama
« on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 13:28:19 »
Hi,

Is there any way to use Blue Alps with a Rama M60-A?

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
Re: Question regarding Blue Alps and Rama
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:17:29 »
Hi,

That would require you to make a custom PCB and plate for it, the included parts support MX switches only.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:04:51 »
Hi,

That would require you to make a custom PCB and plate for it, the included parts support MX switches only.

thanks!

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 19:09:03 »
So is there an entity that wants to make this PCB/plate for me? How much would this cost?
I have a Rama m60.

Offline jordowag

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 21:28:44 »
The M60A has an integrated plate, so it'd be impossible to use a diff plate with it

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 22:29:07 »
shoot

not a lot of stand out cases for these switches

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 09:41:30 »
shoot

They haven't been made since 1989. If they were in production today, there would be a lot more demand for caps, plates, cases, etc. I think that Matias' modern incarnations of simplified Alps (the newer ones made by Gaote) are made well enough to justify a resurgence in their own right, but prior iterations from Matias had too many reports of chatter problems, so Matias switches are still considered a black sheep amongst modern switches.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 20:04:00 »
shoot

They haven't been made since 1989. If they were in production today, there would be a lot more demand for caps, plates, cases, etc. I think that Matias' modern incarnations of simplified Alps (the newer ones made by Gaote) are made well enough to justify a resurgence in their own right, but prior iterations from Matias had too many reports of chatter problems, so Matias switches are still considered a black sheep amongst modern switches.

Thanks. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 08:52:05 »
shoot

This may help. I have been trying to get a hold of someone with a pulse over at LFK but I haven't heard anything. Worst case, you can find an existing Alps board you like, desolder all of the switches (especially if the ones in it are trashed) and solder your blues into it. I am pretty tempted to do that with with a Matias board, since I actually quite like the layout and mapping of their mini boards. Their caps are pretty proprietary though, unfortunately. Either way, modern cap choices are mostly down to Matias and Tai-Hao, for whatever that's worth.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 18:50:41 »
shoot

This may help. I have been trying to get a hold of someone with a pulse over at LFK but I haven't heard anything. Worst case, you can find an existing Alps board you like, desolder all of the switches (especially if the ones in it are trashed) and solder your blues into it. I am pretty tempted to do that with with a Matias board, since I actually quite like the layout and mapping of their mini boards. Their caps are pretty proprietary though, unfortunately. Either way, modern cap choices are mostly down to Matias and Tai-Hao, for whatever that's worth.

I have the AEK II caps, so I believe I just need a 60% board/case. The problem is finding an "end game" case (something akin to a Rama) to match the "end game" switches. The Duck Sidewinder in that thread looks okay. Or custom - not sure where I go for that though. Thanks.