Author Topic: Cleopatra (1963)  (Read 517 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Cleopatra (1963)
« on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 11:41:03 »

Why didn't this movie do well ?

Just watched it now (in full), it's pretty decent,  felt no lesser, than ben-hur/ 10 commandments, big epics of the day.

+Elizabeth Taylor @ her most Thicc.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Cleopatra (1963)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 13:18:42 »
My recollection was that it was very popular and catapulted Elizabeth Taylor to the stratosphere.

When I was a teenager "Cleopatra" was a euphemism for an extremely attractive woman.
What this shows is that the Republican Party knows, deep down somewhere, that even before Trump they had less than a policy agenda. All they’ve had for the past decade or so is strategy and tactics to suppress the vote, either through extreme gerrymandering or State-level laws. More often than not, as we’re seeing, through both. Without a stated party platform they are left with nothing but the insanity of The Power Grab and The Big Lie. The Party as a whole has, for some twisted logical reason, decided that America no longer needs Democracy. That in the bent and tortured reality Republicans have created for themselves America was never a Democracy, the Founders never intended for the country’s politics or social order to change, that the country’s democratic features would always only extend to wealthy White Christian property owners. They’ve also, collectively, decided that threatening major, multi-billion dollar corporations that employ tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people worldwide will somehow, for some reason, cower in the corner when State politicians decide to take a few million in subsidies off the table. When faced with hundreds of millions, or even billions, in lost business because The People are voting with their wallet, I know where I’d position my company, and it’s not at the dinner table with Mitch McConnell and his wife.
– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 15:07:02 »
Hrrrm.. maybe they meant' only financial flop.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 18:41:51 »
Many things age in strange and unexpected ways. The top TV show that year was the Beverly Hillbillies and a couple of years later a show called Star Trek came on but was cancelled early due to poor ratings.

So, commercial popularity, critical acclaim, profit, and longevity are often very disjointed from each other.
What this shows is that the Republican Party knows, deep down somewhere, that even before Trump they had less than a policy agenda. All they’ve had for the past decade or so is strategy and tactics to suppress the vote, either through extreme gerrymandering or State-level laws. More often than not, as we’re seeing, through both. Without a stated party platform they are left with nothing but the insanity of The Power Grab and The Big Lie. The Party as a whole has, for some twisted logical reason, decided that America no longer needs Democracy. That in the bent and tortured reality Republicans have created for themselves America was never a Democracy, the Founders never intended for the country’s politics or social order to change, that the country’s democratic features would always only extend to wealthy White Christian property owners. They’ve also, collectively, decided that threatening major, multi-billion dollar corporations that employ tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people worldwide will somehow, for some reason, cower in the corner when State politicians decide to take a few million in subsidies off the table. When faced with hundreds of millions, or even billions, in lost business because The People are voting with their wallet, I know where I’d position my company, and it’s not at the dinner table with Mitch McConnell and his wife.
– **** Scott 2021-04-08

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 19:56:57 »
I think it was pretty popular, at least in Poland, it was like hundreds of times on polish tv when I was a kid (80s-90s).
9100 | 3070 | 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks Frosty Flake | IDOBAO ID87 w/ Glorious Holy Pandas | Model M | Razer Pro Click
SA: Carbon, 7bit's R6 Symbiosis, Amber Screen Cherry: OG caps MT3: Serika
::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 16:46:56 »
I think it was pretty popular, at least in Poland, it was like hundreds of times on polish tv when I was a kid (80s-90s).

was it broadcast in letterbox or 4:3 aspect ratio ?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 17:19:34 »

was it broadcast in letterbox or 4:3 aspect ratio ?

4:3, dude, it was 90s:)
9100 | 3070 | 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks Frosty Flake | IDOBAO ID87 w/ Glorious Holy Pandas | Model M | Razer Pro Click
SA: Carbon, 7bit's R6 Symbiosis, Amber Screen Cherry: OG caps MT3: Serika
::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 17:51:50 »

4:3, dude, it was 90s:)

Took some 640x480 screenshots to remind ourselves how good we had it with PAL broadcast.    Of course we definitely didn't have this kind of color/ fidelity, but the image softness is endearing and nostalgic.