Author Topic: Annoying Movie Narrative Formulae  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Kavik

Annoying Movie Narrative Formulae
« on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:33:25 »
A number of years ago, I went to the movies a lot, to the point that it was hard to find a movie on the marquee that I hadn't seen. In that time, I became painfully aware that the first 20 minutes of (almost) every movie is exactly the same: introducing the character(s) to show his or her typical day so that we know what happens in the movie is *not* typical. One common example of this includes showing a family that is WAY too happy; nothing in this family has every gone wrong, and everyone gets along perfectly. It would be a REAL SHAME if something were to happy to that perfect family. It's so extreme that it's obvious something terrible is about to happen. I guess in modern parlance, this would be called a "trope". This repetitive 20 minute section, although different, makes me think of The Wadsworth Constant.

This is less pronounced in TV series and movie sequels. In TV shows, the first episode is the same as those first 20 minutes of a movie, but, once you're past that episode, you never have to deal with it again. In movie sequels, the first installment spends the time introducing the main character, which is why the second movie in a trilogy is the most well-liked: it can actually just get to the real story. There may still be some time dedicated to introducing the new antagonist at the beginning of sequels though.

What repetitive part of movie formulae gets on your nerves?
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Annoying Movie Narrative Formulae
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:39:47 »
Modern folks get to the clipping point. Exhausting the 90 minute format.

At this point Tp4 tries not to be critical, just roll with whatever goes by.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Annoying Movie Narrative Formulae
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 13:56:31 »
I'm at the point I no longer get nervous for the main characters in any horrible tits up situation because you know they will survive. It can potentially ruin shows where there's some big fight but no matter how much the hero loses, they will somehow be fine in the end. I guess I really dislike ass-pulls in general.
That's why I always have a soft spot for media that gets you attached to a character then kills them off. Like the first time I saw Aerith die as a kid I was like, "Wow, did not expect that! Neat!"