Author Topic: Heat Wave...  (Read 3566 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Heat Wave...
« on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 19:38:39 »
NE gekhr in the wave ?

News cycle predicts DOOOOOmmm as fire season hasn't even started !!

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: Heat Wave...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 19:43:07 »
welcome to every summer in the SouthEast US,  ;D

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:43:55 »
The NW has been like Hell this weekend. Today it was in the 90s and that was like a break.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:55:23 »
Canada looks like hell
Socal near the coast is mostly fine though

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 01:06:23 »
NE gekhr in the wave ?

News cycle predicts DOOOOOmmm as fire season hasn't even started !!

Show Image

news cycles predict doom at every street corner, so i would not really put too much faith in what they say without extra research and reading their sources, as fear increase number they have a huge incentive to misreport and outright enhance the truth (ok i just watched hbomberguy's "vaccines, a measured response" and so i trust the media even less than ever...)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 08:12:34 »

i trust the media even less than ever ....

True, but traditional media is still infinitely more reliable than partisan media outlets and goofballs posting doggerel over the interwebs.

But numbers don't lie. Scientifically measured temperature, rain, wind, etc, is hard data that can't be disputed. Thousands (millions?) of acres on fire or under water is epic-level disaster, with consequences that ripple far beyond the actual areas effected.

Destabilizing the climate at the poles (in the air over the North Pole and in the water around the South) has produced these wild swings that are going to keep getting worse for a long time. When the tundras thaw and release their methane, and when the glaciers start breaking off Antarctica and Greenland in earnest, what we are seeing now will look like a mild spring rain shower to our children and grandchildren.

Whatever doom is being predicted in the media is probably still far short of what will really happen over the next century. In the US the media is going apoplectic over a single condominium collapse in Miami, but I doubt that Miami itself will still exist a half-century from now.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 09:18:37 »

i trust the media even less than ever ....

True, but traditional media is still infinitely more reliable than partisan media outlets and goofballs posting doggerel over the interwebs.

But numbers don't lie. Scientifically measured temperature, rain, wind, etc, is hard data that can't be disputed. Thousands (millions?) of acres on fire or under water is epic-level disaster, with consequences that ripple far beyond the actual areas effected.

Destabilizing the climate at the poles (in the air over the North Pole and in the water around the South) has produced these wild swings that are going to keep getting worse for a long time. When the tundras thaw and release their methane, and when the glaciers start breaking off Antarctica and Greenland in earnest, what we are seeing now will look like a mild spring rain shower to our children and grandchildren.

Whatever doom is being predicted in the media is probably still far short of what will really happen over the next century. In the US the media is going apoplectic over a single condominium collapse in Miami, but I doubt that Miami itself will still exist a half-century from now.
i am going to repeat myself, but fear is extremely rarely conductive of positive change, well apart from news paper sales that is. and last i checked the talk was "if we do nothing we are doomed" and nothing about what can be done, fear for fear sake... if we talk about the positive side of the change and not the negative side of the not changing we would have a much better chance at getting anything done, well as long as the whole truth is there and not like those serial hybrid cars and the sort that actually pollute more overall. Reuse is the 1st R, the one that every company wants everyone to forget, maybe a good place to start, stop throwing away working and useful things and then buy new one.
(and before i get flamed for being an hypocrite, my pc is 10 years old, my phone a 7 years old hand me down, my keyboard and car are both from 1991, i put most of my leftovers in reused food containers, most my clothes are either bought used or are with my for 4 years minimum, just saying, it is not hard, and actually cheaper to do something)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 09:42:52 »

fear is extremely rarely conductive of positive change,

Reuse is the 1st R,

Fear is one of the strongest and most basic motivators, but when people choose *what* to fear it seems that too often it is based on emotion rather than logic.

I can't understand why many people do what they do - for me global warming is a colossal and epic danger staring us straight in the face - but apparently it is too abstract for many people to conceptualize so they ignore it altogether.

And yes, while I am guilty of buying new things from time to time, I mostly keep and buy older things.

It gives me pleasure and satisfaction to restore a useful item to its original state, and many things such as tools and furniture were built much better in years past.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 12:55:59 »
has Fohat switched to 100% Veggie ?  Or does he choose WHAT to fear.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:39:37 »
Maybe it would help if the EPA (for the US) went after shipping companies (ships are barely if at all emissions regulated), factories, aviation, and other major barely regulated polluters - but instead they feel the need to go after people and companies that modify cars (which is a insignificant population in comparison). 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:42:05 »
Maybe it would help if the EPA (for the US) went after shipping companies (ships are barely if at all emissions regulated), factories, aviation, and other major barely regulated polluters - but instead they feel the need to go after people and companies that modify cars (which is a insignificant population in comparison). 

Climate change has to be worked from all angles Including Transportation, but it is not the largest contributor. Animal agriculture is responsible for 87%+ of net green house emissions.

https://climatehealers.org/blog/prevent-year-zero/

https://climatehealers.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/JES-Rao.pdf

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:54:47 »
That is why I stated they need to actually work the other angles, they seem to be locked in on transportation compared to the ones who are the biggest offenders.  But I guess they write bigger checks than the small tuner/modifier businesses.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 13:55:04 »
Just found out yesterday my coworker is a climate change denier. Gonna have to avoid that subject from now on, for his safety.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 14:01:59 »
Just found out yesterday my coworker is a climate change denier. Gonna have to avoid that subject from now on, for his safety.

NT,  by eating Animals,  YOU are in a big _PART_ a climate change denier. You are denying animal agriculture as the primary contributor to climate change, which all of our best science indicates is the case.

I don't think you are a bad person, but you are for the moment doing evil.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 14:07:52 »
That is why I stated they need to actually work the other angles, they seem to be locked in on transportation compared to the ones who are the biggest offenders.  But I guess they write bigger checks than the small tuner/modifier businesses.

THEY,  it's One Large Cabal. They work the fake humanitarian front to mask the corporatocracy.

Shifting blame, while maintaining the revenue stream.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 15:34:29 »

my coworker is a climate change denier

I used to work in a place where "the back of the house" (ie warehouse, shipping, drivers, etc) was almost exclusively Republican and it was as if it was a matter of pride, if not some sort of a duty, to automatically oppose anything that they imagined that "the Libs" were interested in. It was like a reflex.

Just finished a book,  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34014218-white-working-class  but I never found the prescription that the last sentence in this review seemed to indicate was there.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:13:31 »
Its hot in here, Scotland. I dont go out, no f*** way.
Desk fan - on.
Trousers and T-shirt - off.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:47:59 »
Desk fan - on.

Boxers or Briefs ?

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 06:53:18 »
Desk fan - on.

Boxers or Briefs ?

trunks  :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 07:52:02 »
No matter the weather, I always wear at the very least a proper shirt and full length pants with socks and oxfords. Anything less is simply indecent.

I actually feel disgusted to wear anything less, even in private, minus the shoes. A short sleeve button-up is the most revealing you'll ever see me with. I don't wear swim attire either.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:02:01 »
No matter the weather, I always wear at the very least a proper shirt and full length pants with socks and oxfords. Anything less is simply indecent.

I actually feel disgusted to wear anything less, even in private, minus the shoes. A short sleeve button-up is the most revealing you'll ever see me with. I don't wear swim attire either.

In 'murica we have the general impression that europeans are naked all the time, as much as is practically possible.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:05:23 »

In 'murica we have the general impression that europeans are naked all the time, as much as is practically possible.

Only tourists.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:23:51 »

Only tourists.

so Olumins only goes nude while on vacation ?

Offline yui

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 10:01:34 »

Only tourists.

so Olumins only goes nude while on vacation ?

the most nude olumin can be is bare feet if even :)

Offline Olumin

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 10:40:17 »
the most nude olumin can be is bare feet if even :)

Not even.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 12:01:01 »
When it is hot my feet yearn to breathe free.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 14:02:03 »
Shoes are the Enemy.

Offline phinix

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 18:38:59 »
Daim, it was so hot today. Rained at the evening, but still, humid, warm soup air...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 20:03:20 »
Daim, it was so hot today. Rained at the evening, but still, humid, warm soup air...

It's dat key to good scotch?

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 04:03:49 »

It's dat key to good scotch?

Key for good scotch is water. Here is Scotland for many distilleries ground water is filtered by peat and other stuff.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 21:25:00 »
Got 10+ bug bites while staying for a while in bancroft