Author Topic: am i the only one?  (Read 3992 times)

Offline PlayBox

am i the only one?
« on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 12:35:01 »
i think i kinda want to gift my friends a keeb or generally something nice for birthday, i can't be the only one feeling this  :) just to be a good friend or something  :D
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline selsik

Re: am i the only one?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 13:22:53 »
I get the same urge every now and then

It goes away when I remember that a Razer TKL or a TGR Jane are the exact same thing in their eyes.
Topre >>> MX

Offline Pinguin

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 16:16:51 »
And then next year you see a "gaming" keyboard they bought because of "features" and RGB.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 16:33:48 »
no they hate me

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 13:40:26 »
And then next year you see a "gaming" keyboard they bought because of "features" and RGB.
they use a cheap ass gaming membrane (imo ok for a membrane) with no real features. and happily they don't find any value with these big gaming brands. i dunno if they would find any value in custom keyboards, but if they find not yet mine iscipline 65 cool i would be more than happy to gift a keyboard to them (propably mysterium tkl and a discipad for one of them)

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 07:01:04 »
You're not the only one.  ;)
And I've done it a couple times already, and they all loved it!

The point is, don't do a surprise gift.
I invited my friend over and let them touch and compare 100+ different switches and different keycap profiles.
I did a little "interview session" with them and asked what kind of work they do daily and what application they use most often, in order to get an idea what size and shape would fit their life best.

Trust me, like any other gift, as long as you can present the keyboard as something that makes THEIR life better, rather than something that you like, they would love your gift!

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 14:51:28 »

I invited my friend over and let them touch and compare 100+ different switches and different keycap profiles.
I did a little "interview session" with them and asked what kind of work they do daily and what application they use most often, in order to get an idea what size and shape would fit their life best.

Trust me, like any other gift, as long as you can present the keyboard as something that makes THEIR life better, rather than something that you like, they would love your gift!
that's a genuinely a good advice. much apppreciated  :)

Offline murasaki

• Formerly 'jota'
    • Mollecue Design
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 22:17:10 »

And maybe they will then understand our obsession or even better, start chasing the rabbit with you like some of my friends did with me.
Nothing is better than having your loved ones understand our passion and obsession to keyboards!  :D

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 December 2022, 23:47:26 »

And maybe they will then understand our obsession or even better, start chasing the rabbit with you like some of my friends did with me.
Nothing is better than having your loved ones understand our passion and obsession to keyboards!  :D
we all suffer because of other people who don't understand us

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 December 2022, 08:43:54 »
I have gifted a few keyboards, but (with 2 exceptions) I have gotten frustration and hasty returns if the items were not straight mindless native USB plug-and-play with no further user attention required.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015