Author Topic: What is your WPM?  (Read 63194 times)

Offline jihadu

Re: What is your WPM?
« Reply #500 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 16:30:52 »
Probably in the 30's. I just don't type that well

Offline thokir

« Reply #501 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 17:23:13 »
about 75wpm on colemak ortho, qwerty und qwertz staggered.

Offline standay

« Reply #502 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 10:08:04 »
30 WPM. Been at that for years ever since learning to type in high school. Now my mom on the other hand was 100+ WPM.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #503 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 10:21:06 »
30 WPM. Been at that for years ever since learning to type in high school. Now my mom on the other hand was 100+ WPM.

well you're in the right place.

don't just be those people who buy guitars..

Play the guitar.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #504 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 14:44:56 »
With good accuracy, 65-70wpm only.
ALL the Leopolds

Offline ketron

« Reply #505 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 23:53:22 »
My WPM on TypeRacer is usually in the low to mid 90's but on 10fastfingers I can usually get around 110 WPM.

Offline killyou

« Reply #506 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 14:01:42 »
Depends on the language that I'm typing. I was getting results like 90-95 when I was trying on TypeRacer but english is not my first language.

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • beekeeper
« Reply #507 on: Thu, 10 May 2018, 22:55:13 »

been a while
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #508 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 01:11:22 »

I can hit 80 wpm on typeracer.  I'm not sure which is more real-world accurate.  I'm also trying to type quietly cuz its like 2am.
This is SLOW for this neck of the woods, but functional.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline ander

• Clickety, clickety
« Reply #509 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 04:47:17 »
My answer is anecdotal—because I want to include a pitch for the Dvorak key layout, see.

= Ander's Typing Saga =

I learned to type in high school—on QWERTY, like everyone else. And yes, this was entirely pre-PC, so we're talking typewriters. (Dad gum, where'd I leave my walker...?)

My QWERTY speed never went much beyond 60–65 (which I remember reading back then was in the range "expected of a good secretary"). This, despite typing for hours each day on Bulletin Board Systems, the hobbyist-based precursor of the Internet.

Then I found out about the Dvorak keyboard layout. It make so much sense, I decided to try it. I added the Dvorak layout driver to my DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT startup file (fun chatting with dinosaurs, ain't it?) so my PC (an XT-compatible 286, I think—ha!)  was a I didn't move my keys around or relabel them; I just kept a small printout of the Dvorak layout next to my PC, and consulted it only when necessary. (I still chuckle when I see "dedicated" boards with Dvorak and other alternative layouts... The idea is not to look at your fingers!)

It took me two weeks to reach my QWERTY speed—and from the very start, Dvorak felt much more comfortable and natural.

It took me only a month or so to reach 100 WPM. I eventually leveled off at 110–115, where I am today.

It's so simple now to switch to Dvorak on virtually any computer. However, on the rare occasions where I must type something in QWERTY, I have no trouble doing it. It's just not nearly as fast or comfortable (surprise!).

I'm sure the other QWERTY alternatives are just as good, or even better. But if you type a lot, and speed and comfort are important to you, I heartily recommend you shed the ankle-weights that are QWERTY and switch to something easier.  :?)

OK, thanks for your attention. You can go do something else now. Typingly, A.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 May 2018, 04:53:49 by ander »
Imagine that everything you are typing is being read by the person you are applying to for your first job. Imagine that it's all going to be seen by your parents and your grandparents and your grandchildren as well. – Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web

Offline notglacier

« Reply #510 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 08:13:18 »

probably going to be my record for a while

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #511 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:24:55 »
My answer is anecdotal—because I want to include a pitch for the Dvorak key layout, see.

= Ander's Typing Saga =

I learned to type in high school—on QWERTY, like everyone else. And yes, this was entirely pre-PC, so we're talking typewriters. (Dad gum, where'd I leave my walker...?)

My QWERTY speed never went much beyond 60–65 (which I remember reading back then was in the range "expected of a good secretary"). This, despite typing for hours each day on Bulletin Board Systems, the hobbyist-based precursor of the Internet.

Then I found out about the Dvorak keyboard layout. It make so much sense, I decided to try it. I added the Dvorak layout driver to my DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT startup file (fun chatting with dinosaurs, ain't it?) so my PC (an XT-compatible 286, I think—ha!)  was a I didn't move my keys around or relabel them; I just kept a small printout of the Dvorak layout next to my PC, and consulted it only when necessary. (I still chuckle when I see "dedicated" boards with Dvorak and other alternative layouts... The idea is not to look at your fingers!)

It took me two weeks to reach my QWERTY speed—and from the very start, Dvorak felt much more comfortable and natural.

It took me only a month or so to reach 100 WPM. I eventually leveled off at 110–115, where I am today.

It's so simple now to switch to Dvorak on virtually any computer. However, on the rare occasions where I must type something in QWERTY, I have no trouble doing it. It's just not nearly as fast or comfortable (surprise!).

I'm sure the other QWERTY alternatives are just as good, or even better. But if you type a lot, and speed and comfort are important to you, I heartily recommend you shed the ankle-weights that are QWERTY and switch to something easier.  :?)

OK, thanks for your attention. You can go do something else now. Typingly, A.
I am teaching myself Dvorak for the challenge.  I've only been at it for 30 to 60 min a day for several days.  ATM I can type at about 5 wpm.  I can type 60 to 80 using QWERTY.  I'm wondering if it's worth it for the effort to meet or surpass this.  It would take months I would think.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #512 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:29:04 »
Amadeus was a good movie

Offline typo

« Reply #513 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 00:35:47 »
Long time ago me too, mid 170's. I think that could be close to the human limit? Then I got old and had Parkinson's disease. Now reduced to hunt and peck. I picked up the name Typo before they knew it was not a laughing matter. I still code but I have had to drastically reduce my cost due to lack of speed ability. Amazingly I am still a good coder in multiple platforms it did not fry my brain yet. The issue of like 10WPM really sucks bad. Just kind of glad to be alive that's all. I do not need an income anymore but is just what I like to do. Due to my crazy low cost people are busting down my door lol. I am going to completely retire pretty soon though. I mean just using the internet is enough entertainment at this point. Okay sorry, too much information lol.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #514 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 01:48:49 »
Long time ago me too, mid 170's. I think that could be close to the human limit? Then I got old and had Parkinson's disease. Now reduced to hunt and peck. I picked up the name Typo before they knew it was not a laughing matter. I still code but I have had to drastically reduce my cost due to lack of speed ability. Amazingly I am still a good coder in multiple platforms it did not fry my brain yet. The issue of like 10WPM really sucks bad. Just kind of glad to be alive that's all. I do not need an income anymore but is just what I like to do. Due to my crazy low cost people are busting down my door lol. I am going to completely retire pretty soon though. I mean just using the internet is enough entertainment at this point. Okay sorry, too much information lol.

Thanks for sharing Typo.  This is a debilitating disease and I think it's great that you can at least for the moment do what you like to do.  It's one of the many diseases that our knowledge is limited, but the treatments have improved.  With I think it's  pretty amazing that you can still code with the physical and mental symptoms.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #515 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:38:58 »
58 on a mac air, not sure if faster on mech keyboard

Offline Sup

• 03 March 2018 Billy Herrington PepeHands
« Reply #516 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 17:15:11 »
 mostly around 97-100 word a minute and if i am on a spree 104 x). Just practice sometimes and you will improve i got from 70 wpm tot almost 100.