Author Topic: [1st mech keyboard] The Trigger Has Been Pulled!  (Read 7006 times)

Offline xquisit

[1st mech keyboard] The Trigger Has Been Pulled!
« on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 19:58:15 »
Dear Geekhack,
        I'm glad to join your community, and I was hoping to ask a generic..yet, impotant question (to me, at least):

For $100-$125 USD which mechanical keyboard would you suggest?

Before I get into switches:
-I prefer a keyboard with no numeric keypad
-Color is not an issue, but I would like to change keycaps someday (just an assumption)
-I don't want to get use to a compact layout <- Afraid it will take more getting use to than a new mouse if it was a diff. layout
-Backlit is not an issue, if it has one I'm willing to dish out a little bit more money
-I barely use F1-F12 keys, and I suppose there will be function keys on the keyboard recommended

Switches:
(I've read the OCN mechanical keyboard guide, so I am a complete rookie)
-Sound is not an issue, If I'm that serious about gaming... I will just have more than one keyboard (can't afford to do that, atm)
-I don't know if I prefer tactile or linear switches, I use a crappy $5 rubberdome (I've been using crappy keyboards all my life)
-I really care about performance, I know it might be minimal.. but in the MMORPG I play, my timing is key (my latency sucks)
-I believe I don't have a heavy hand, and I like to type/game for long periods of time
-I play both MMORPG and FPS (for half a year, I might play one more than the other)

I'm sorry to even ask the key switch question, I know it's preference... I just don't feel like going to Best Buy or Frys, and only having a few mechanical keyboards to chose from (that I believe, are overpriced and not worth my time driving over). I do believe I should go there to at least see how black switches are (since I believe the Blackwidow uses it), but this is more of an online risk to shop for a keyboard.

What I had in mind (originally):
Was to wait for the KBT Limited Editions (there is two coming out, Pure/Race?)
My concerns, pricing (probably over $120) and lack of reviews at the time of release (which I believe the only thing I found on the net about these keyboards, was directed back to here on a thread to buy the non Limited editions..and in the same thread I saw a post about the Limited Editions being available on the 18th of this month.

If I were to guess which key (since I've yet to read Ripster's guide, edit: he hasn't done it yet - woops): Blue or Red
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:16:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

How about reading OUR mechanical keyboard guide? :wave:

You should definately go to the stores to try out the switches atleast. The razer BW usually has MX blues, which are a good starting point.

Like how the blues feel/sound? Get blues!
Like how they feel but don't like the noise? Get browns! (Though the blues are slightly noticeably more tactile)
Otherwise try blacks and if they're too heavy, get reds.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:30:55 »
if you're looking for a non-backlit TKL keyboard in the $100-$125 price range than the best choice is to get the coolermaster quickfire rapid.
They are filco clones that are currently available in either cherry mx blues or cherry mx reds.
blues are more suitable for typing while reds are more suitable for gaming.

look up mechanical keyboard guide to find out the difference between blues and reds.
Ducky Shine DK 9008S Red LED |Rosewill RK-9000BR

Offline shogrran

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:31:12 »
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid my friend.... I believe it is the best choice for under 100USD and it competes in quality even for boards above 100USD price range.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:34:47 »
Customizing key caps? Cherry MX-based boards will give you the greatest number of options for the least amount of money. Going from a rubber dome keyboard to a mechanical one you're going to notice a big difference. Between tactile and linear I would go linear. As an all-round keyboard for writing as well as gaming, in the price point you're looking at, you can't go wrong with the Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch with Red switches:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless

At $89/$99 before shipping, it fits in your budget. Quality/function is arguably on par with Filco (the same designer created boards for both companies).

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:55:37 »
Quote from: ripster;545147
Lemme guess.

English major?  Or Veterinary School?

And condolences  about reading the OCN Mechanical keyboard guide.  Once you get wrong info in your head it's hard to get out.

OMG dude, that's really hurtful to some people..... uncalled for. bro.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 21:28:23 »
Thanks for all the helpful posts, and my budget is probably going to be $110 USD tops (my motherboard JUST died on me, perfect timing...)

I'll start by trying out the keyboards at Frys or Bestbuy, but I suppose it would be akward... they are boxed up and usually don't have displayed keyboards that are mechanical.

Sorry, I didn't check out the guide here... I must've over-looked where it was located.

Offline Tony

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 21:34:24 »
I think Geekhack mechanical keyboard guide is not attractive as OCN's. Lack of pictures and ripster's trying to put everything into it makes it bland, boring, empty to newbies and too many links to veterans.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline xquisit

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 21:53:31 »
I couldn't find the guide, :|

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline Tony

Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black

Offline xquisit

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 22:02:21 »
Thanks, I'll read that after I throw out my damn motherboard out the window :(

Lol, sucks wanting to buy something for my computer.. and next thing I know, my computer doesn't even work anymore.

After I read this guide, I will go to best buy/frys and see if blacks are for me. I think after that I will be able to determine if reds might be appropriate or a switch with a tactile bump.

In my OCN thread, they are arguing over Leopold vs Mini for the winning keyboard (I did tell them I wanted browns there, but it's not set in stone).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:05:25 »
Quote from: ripster;545168
Sorry man.

Nobody deserves to be called an English Major.

Don't be such a h8er LOLOL... it's a legit field and a fairly necessary one.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:06:15 »
Quote from: xquisit;545238
Thanks, I'll read that after I throw out my damn motherboard out the window :(

Lol, sucks wanting to buy something for my computer.. and next thing I know, my computer doesn't even work anymore.

After I read this guide, I will go to best buy/frys and see if blacks are for me. I think after that I will be able to determine if reds might be appropriate or a switch with a tactile bump.

In my OCN thread, they are arguing over Leopold vs Mini for the winning keyboard (I did tell them I wanted browns there, but it's not set in stone).

I've actually defenestrated my motherboard, it hit a cat and killed it, I felt all ninja, but was very sad about the cat.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 23:18:31 »
I'll be going to FRYs or Best Buy tomorrow. I need to at least try a black and blue mechanical keyboard.

My budget is still the same, and I will wait until the 18th to see if that poster in the GB section will reveal any information on the KBT Limited Edition (Pure/Race).

Keyboards I have in mind (sorry I can't specify the models, but I want one that has no numeric pad..which I'm assuming is called tenkeyless)
1) Leopold tenkeyless
2) CM ___fire
3) Noppoo Choc Mini 84 *revived version & PBT with white or POM with black)
4) DECK (I believe, there is a post on this one in the Deals section for $80) red backlit

Offline MKB

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 03:00:34 »
I would avoid blacks without trying them first...   That is the one key I can not use for typing...

Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Clears)
Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Reds)
Filco Tenkeyless Zero (White Fukkas)
Unicomp SpaceSaver 104 (Buckling Spring)

Past:

IBM Model F (Buckling Spring)
IBM Model M (Buckling Spring)
Northgate (White Alps)
Fujitsu (peerless)
HHKB Pro 2 (Topre)
Deck Legend (Cherry Blacks)
Deck 82 (Cherry Blacks)
Unicomp Customizer 104 (Buckling Spring)

Offline MKB

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 03:03:36 »
I would get either the:

1) Leopold tenkeyless
2) CM ___fire

I would avoid the deck (in particular if it has black keys.)

I loved the look but did not like the black keys and did not like the key molds used...

Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Clears)
Leopold Tenkeyless (Cherry Reds)
Filco Tenkeyless Zero (White Fukkas)
Unicomp SpaceSaver 104 (Buckling Spring)

Past:

IBM Model F (Buckling Spring)
IBM Model M (Buckling Spring)
Northgate (White Alps)
Fujitsu (peerless)
HHKB Pro 2 (Topre)
Deck Legend (Cherry Blacks)
Deck 82 (Cherry Blacks)
Unicomp Customizer 104 (Buckling Spring)

Offline shogrran

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 04:56:47 »
Quote from: xquisit;545305
I'll be going to FRYs or Best Buy tomorrow. I need to at least try a black and blue mechanical keyboard.

My budget is still the same, and I will wait until the 18th to see if that poster in the GB section will reveal any information on the KBT Limited Edition (Pure/Race).

Keyboards I have in mind (sorry I can't specify the models, but I want one that has no numeric pad..which I'm assuming is called tenkeyless)
1) Leopold tenkeyless
2) CM ___fire
4) DECK (I believe, there is a post on this one in the Deals section for $80) red backlit

You can check several threads here for their feedback on the CMStorm quickfire. They come in all versions of the cherry switch :D so you got choices. What you'll like about it is its solid build at a lower price point. The mxblues version goes at about 76USD in retail stores. The reds are more expensive but still cheaper than others.

The cherry switch type I recommend for first time mechanical keyboard buyers is always cherry mx blues. Why? Because I believe it brings the most different experience from the rubber domes. The main reason why you are buying a mechanical is probably because you're sick and tired of the rubber dome experience - only logical to buy something that gives the most difference from rubber dome. :)

I personally have a mxbrown version which I use for games like dota 2. :) Great all-round keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 04:59:27 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 07:58:48 »
Having problems to understand why you want to spend 100+ bucks on a kbrd if you're broke.
Just buy a used one on eBay...

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 09:29:31 »

1) Leopold tenkeyless
2) CM ___fire

If you're talking about the Deck 82, those come in Black only, and can take some serious getting used to, since they're tiny and have a different key layout.  They'll require a mat and feet too, since they sit right on the screws of the backplate by default without.

I have a CMStorm Quickfire with Blues, which I'm a fan of.  It's definitely a good starter board.  Check the Great Finds forum for links for some really good current offers in the $63 shipped range.  It's really incredibly tacky in terms of overbranding, though, but that's par for the course with "gaming" equipment.  Doesn't affect performance.

Can't say I've tried the Noppoo or KBT/KBC stuff because of the hassle of availability issues.  I'd go with a domestically-available model as your first, on the low end of price.  That way, when you want to experiment with different switch types and get more of a feel for what you like, you can start getting the really good stuff.

Too bad you want numpadless-only.  Newegg has a deal on the Rosewill RK-9000RE (Red switches) which brings it down to $79+shipping.  It's a really solid board, and the first Cherry switch model I ended up getting.

One final note about switch types.  Blues will, as others have said, help you transition very easily from dome keyboards to mechanical, and feel great.  Reds will help you learn to type on Cherry switches without bottoming them out and are butter-smooth; Blacks are a good intermediary between Blue and Red, too, if you're a really heavy typer.  Haven't tried Browns or Clears yet, so I can't comment on either, but Browns are next on the slate for me.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:05:11 »
I've actually been going through the same decisions you are now, regarding the switch to a mechanical keyboard.  I ended up getting the Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Touch (mxBrown switches).
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:45:42 »
The only problem with The CM is the crazy amount of branding on the board. Although you could always try this plasti-dip mod.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:50:34 »
The CM quickfire MX blues are only $63.74 shipped now, so that might be the way to go if you like blues. Check this link for links and coupon code.

Edit: i've never seen the plasti dip mod before, im tempted to try it on my CM quickfire :D

Offline shogrran

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 10:53:27 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;545731
The only problem with The CM is the crazy amount of branding on the board. Although you could always try this plasti-dip mod.

The branding doesnt look so bad in person though. Not unless you're really obsessive compulsive about it.

Maybe that is why they can afford to offer such quality at a very low price point --- because its a standing advertisement for them. Come on bro... its almost half the price of a Filco TKL at probably the same quality as a Filco TKL.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 11:01:29 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;545731
I think I'll pick up a can of plasti-dip for my poker case. This looks fairly promising.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 11:08:58 »
Slightly off-topic, but how does one go about removing the CM quickfire upper case?

Offline xquisit

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 17:01:33 »
This is going to sound weird, but I'm inquiring about late pre-ordering a KBT backlit keyboard.
I know I'm on a budget, and I need to buy a damn motherboard... but
I've been "Eyeing" this keyboard for quite some time.

I just can't decide, do I get a pure or a race?

I'm going with blues for my first switch, unless I do drive down to FRYs and try out the switches and decide otherwise(which I doubt I'll do it, but it's only a five minute drive).

I did see the deal on the Rosewill, but I was afraid of missclicking with reds. I'm also kind've tripping on getting use to a compact layout... out of the race/pure which is the most original? and which will I be able to customize keycaps without a huge hassle?

Thanks in advance, if this pre-order doesn't go through... I might just consider a leopold or CM ___Fire.

Offline Reptile

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 17:28:04 »
Quote from: xquisit;546085
This is going to sound weird, but I'm inquiring about late pre-ordering a KBT backlit keyboard.
I know I'm on a budget, and I need to buy a damn motherboard... but
I've been "Eyeing" this keyboard for quite some time.

I just can't decide, do I get a pure or a race?

I'm going with blues for my first switch, unless I do drive down to FRYs and try out the switches and decide otherwise(which I doubt I'll do it, but it's only a five minute drive).

I did see the deal on the Rosewill, but I was afraid of missclicking with reds. I'm also kind've tripping on getting use to a compact layout... out of the race/pure which is the most original? and which will I be able to customize keycaps without a huge hassle?

Thanks in advance, if this pre-order doesn't go through... I might just consider a leopold or CM ___Fire.

5 minutes away? You need to go and try them out. I didn't have a chance to try anything beforehand and I went from browns>blues> and then stuck with reds.

Five minute drive would save you time/money if you didn't like blues :-)
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline xquisit

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 22:54:32 »
Good point, I should've done it today with all the time I have. Let me see what time Frys closes today, because I'm suppose to send my $105 payment for the pre-order (and thats for KBT Race cherry mx blue switches).  I wonder why that happyhackingkeyboard is so expensive, what kind of switches does it have?

I like scissor switches on this MACbook PRO, I wonder if its possible to get a keyboard that increase the height of the caps and the hiatus between the release point and the natural state of the key. (and if that made no sense, then nevermind me)

Offline flags

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 11:20:57 »
The HHKB doesn't have Cherry switches.
KBC Poker w/ Blue Switches - Razer BlackWidow

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 11:54:07 »
HHKB is expensive because it's a gimmick.  You get nothing you wouldn't out of a Topre RealForce board, especially with the silenced models that cost $200 more (compared to $10 more for the Topres!), except perhaps a feeling of smugness at not needing printed keycaps.

If you had some more money I'd have looked into the March Topre sale at Elitekeyboards.  The fullsize ones in particular are going for fabulous prices right now.  I got my 87U with silencing, and it's the best keyboard I have ever used.

Let me know how your KBT/C experiences go, because that's probably the route I'll be following you on next.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 March 2012, 12:21:06 »
Quote from: xquisit;545091
Dear Geekhack,
        I'm glad to join your community, and I was hoping to ask a generic..yet, impotant question (to me, at least):

For $100-$125 USD which mechanical keyboard would you suggest?

Here's a couple of my opinions and comments.

First, are you actually a broke student or not?  If so, get rid of all this "limited edition" and "HHKB" stuff from your shopping list.  You don't need to go there in order to see vast improvement over $5 rubber domes and you aren't being fiscally efficient by looking at those kinds of things.

Second, you've mentioned some games in your post, but is that all you're using your keyboard for?  Are you actually typing as part of your education or just gaming?  Contrary to popular Internet opinion, I don't think any special keyboards are required for virtually all gamers.  Typing is where you're going to reap the most benefit.

So, if you're actually broke and you do a lot of typing, you can get into MX browns with used Compaq 11800s from ebay, for instance.  They aren't anywhere near as sexy as a contemporary TKL but they are a fraction of the price.

If you aren't quite that broke, I'd suggest cruising the buy/sell here.  You can pick up good gear with substantial savings.

For switches, I'd recommend browns.  Not too many people like gaming on blues, and that is at least a part of what you do.  Some people like typing on reds or blacks, but the browns have a tactile touch that incorporates well with muscle memory once you become accustomed to the switch but yet is not pronounced enough to interfere with most casual gaming.

As far the keyboard, I'd camp the classifieds waiting for a Filco or Leopold TKL.  You'll have the easiest time fitting third party keys to either of these boards plus they are arguably the defacto standards used by the community.  I believe that the share of geekhackers with Deck, CM, Rosewill, Corsair,  Ducky etc... is much larger compared to Filco, Leopold (and Model M and Realforce-based).  You'll never have a problem figuring out whether the modifiers and space bar from a groupbuy will fit your Leopold, for instance.  Casual observation in the classifieds tells me that the median price of a Leo TKL in great condition is $85 shipped CONUS or so.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 04:47:02 »
Quote from: thegunner100;545111
Welcome to Geekhack!

How about reading OUR mechanical keyboard guide? :wave:

You should definately go to the stores to try out the switches atleast. The razer BW usually has MX blues, which are a good starting point.

Like how the blues feel/sound? Get blues!
Like how they feel but don't like the noise? Get browns! (Though the blues are slightly noticeably more tactile)
Otherwise try blacks and if they're too heavy, get reds.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and sorry for the late response.

This was great advice, even though I never found the keyboard guide here. You were spot on, and I'm left wondering how browns and clears will feel.
~~

I just came back from Frys, and shout out to them for letting me open up four boxes to feel out the switches (I think only one of their workers knew what a mechanical keyboard was - so I'm glad I did my research on what the keys were beforehand, because the boxes didn't have the switch type information).  I got to try: fake white alps, reds, blacks, and blues!
Impressions:
fake white alps: I'd rather be using scissor switches than these, any day (I really want that $10 rosewill slim keyboard from newegg)
reds: this feels very nice, but honestly something is missing here; i want to feel more when i press the key, but i had the thought of misclicking a lot with these keyboard (not sure why)
blacks: goodness greatious great balls of fire, I don't think I want these. definitely, don't want to type an essay on that keyboard
blues: oh wow, this clicking noise... it's like the smell of gasoline, i want more..but I feel wierd. i like how there is a bump that lets me know the key is pressed..but i'm left with wondering what browns feel like. i didn't have a problem with pressing these keys, but i would like to see if browns feel like they require less force or not and how the bump feels with that switch before I jump the gun on a keyboard.

@Typhaeon - I'll keep eveyone posted in this thread, and I'm hoping to go with a KBT product.

@Surly73 - Well, I'm broke; That's no joke. The way I spend my money sometimes, it might be a joke to others but I've made a decision to spend a certain amount of money on a keyboard.  A used Leo would be perfect for me, but I was hoping to dish out some more to have a keyboard that might look nice as well; I know I have to pay to play and it's akward being broke and wanting more when I should settle for less... Didn't think about the mis-leading title! I realized I do want something expensive even though I need a cheap replacement.
EDIT: I did buy a $15 soldering kit from Frys way back, and never opened it (it comes with a solder). If I did go with a more expensive keyboard,  I could someday learn to modify it & it would be a greak learning experience  I am hope extending the budget will be worth it. (I normally wanted a $80 keyboard)
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2012, 04:57:08 by xquisit »

Offline Tony

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:00:20 »
Brown is a safe bet for a newcomer, since you can do pretty good with it in gaming and typing.

In all our polls brown wins, close finish with blue. So you can buy brown/blue and easily sell it when you want to do so, both in the classifieds.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:12:09 »
Blue, that clicky noise; It makes me want to stop typing on this rubber dome!

I think I'll just go with blue, but my reasoning is terrible. Blue is more attractice than brown (yes, the color). I'm that indecisive, because I really want to try browns.

EDIT: *As I press enter* I think to myself, "What if I regret buying blues without trying the brown?"
Is there a keyboard that comes to mind, that Frys/Best Buy might carry? I doubt Best Buy would let me open the box to try it, and Frys I had trouble finding a mechanical keyboard that wasn't Razer or SIIG (not sure if this company's keyboards are considered to be mechanical).
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:15:46 by xquisit »

Offline Tony

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:31:44 »
You don't have to be indecisive.

Most of us have both blue and brown. So it does not matter which switch you pick first, because you'll buy both switch colors anyway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:36:47 by Tony »

Offline xquisit

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:53:31 »
I figured that would be the case, just didn't want to admit it.

Pretty happy about the FRYs trip, glad they let me try out the boards.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:11:48 »
I think the BW silent edition is mx browns, isnt it? There's always the Das silent edition if Frys carries them.

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:23:21 »
Just get a leopold with browns from EliteKeyboards. Better yet, get the otaku version :)
Poker
QFR

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:23:34 »
<3 Browns.
Poker
QFR

Offline xquisit

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:36:48 »
I just thought about how I liked the sound of the blues, but I remember reading a member on geekhack saying they feel unstable. I believe there was some sort of wobbely feeling to it. Or am I "tripping" out?

Do the brown feel more firm?

& the more I think about it, the reds sure did have this "Typing on a cloud of boobs" type-of-feel to it - that wasn't bad, but they sure did remind me of the blacks (didn't like those).

Offline Surly73

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:38:44 »
Quote from: xquisit;547635
reds: this feels very nice, but honestly something is missing here; i want to feel more when i press the key, but i had the thought of misclicking a lot with these keyboard (not sure why)
blacks: goodness greatious great balls of fire, I don't think I want these. definitely, don't want to type an essay on that keyboard
blues: oh wow, this clicking noise... it's like the smell of gasoline, i want more..but I feel wierd. i like how there is a bump that lets me know the key is pressed..but i'm left with wondering what browns feel like. i didn't have a problem with pressing these keys, but i would like to see if browns feel like they require less force or not and how the bump feels with that switch before I jump the gun on a keyboard.

I'm going to bet that the "something missing" is the tactile bump in the browns.  Browns have the same spring as reds but with a bit of a tactile bump.  I'll be the first to admit (and there's other threads running right now on this topic) that a brown is not an overtly "poppy" switch which screams "I AM TACTILE!" as soon as you tap your first key.  What I consider brilliance on the part of Cherry is that when you're typing at speed a broken-in brown doesn't feel tactile.  You begin to wonder why they're called tactile.  You say "these feel smooth and linear".  Until you switch to a linear board and you notice the difference right away.  It's that "something missing".  Clears and ergo clears have more of a bump.  Ergo-clears might be perfect for me, but unfortunately that's a mod and not an off-the-shelf switch from Cherry.

Since you made the round-the-world tour at Fry's, you should try to find a board with browns too (like a Das Silent) and give it a go.  It shouldn't be all that difficult.  Best Buy might not let you open a box in the store, but they do let you buy it, open it in your car, and then return it (stupid, I know).

Offline xquisit

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 07:51:00 »
Quote from: Surly73;547723
I'm going to bet that the "something missing" is the tactile bump in the browns.  Browns have the same spring as reds but with a bit of a tactile bump.  I'll be the first to admit (and there's other threads running right now on this topic) that a brown is not an overtly "poppy" switch which screams "I AM TACTILE!" as soon as you tap your first key.  What I consider brilliance on the part of Cherry is that when you're typing at speed a broken-in brown doesn't feel tactile.  You begin to wonder why they're called tactile.  You say "these feel smooth and linear".  Until you switch to a linear board and you notice the difference right away.  It's that "something missing".  Clears and ergo clears have more of a bump.  Ergo-clears might be perfect for me, but unfortunately that's a mod and not an off-the-shelf switch from Cherry.

Since you made the round-the-world tour at Fry's, you should try to find a board with browns too (like a Das Silent) and give it a go.  It shouldn't be all that difficult.  Best Buy might not let you open a box in the store, but they do let you buy it, open it in your car, and then return it (stupid, I know).

Well, I did mention there was something missing in the reds; I presume you mean reds instead of browns. I would really like to try browns, and it's funny Best Buy is like that (I believe it/know it). I wonder what else is different besides more of a bump on the clears/ergo clear switches (don't know the difference between the two) vs the brown cherry switches. With more of a bump, I figure there will be more force needed to press the key to the actuation point.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 09:02:37 »
Quote from: xquisit;547728
Well, I did mention there was something missing in the reds; I presume you mean reds instead of browns. I would really like to try browns, and it's funny Best Buy is like that (I believe it/know it). I wonder what else is different besides more of a bump on the clears/ergo clear switches (don't know the difference between the two) vs the brown cherry switches. With more of a bump, I figure there will be more force needed to press the key to the actuation point.

Look at the Cherry switch wiki.  Section 10.1 has a matrix of the combination of stems and springs that forms the various "street names" of the mods.  Ergo clears are clear stems and red/brown springs.  Earlier in the wiki you can clearly see the cross-sections (showing stem profile) and force graphs of the various switches.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 21:58:29 »
Bout to place an order on the Race, if iMav permits, because I am late...

but I can't help think about the Pure... then I think about how I can take advantage of the F1-F12 keys on the Race for gaming.
I only need space by removing the numeric pad, but then again I've never used an arm wrest.. so I could save room by going with the Pure...or I could just move my keyboard up towards the wall (it's on a small keyboard tray) and not have the Fkeys be visible, and just click them via-muscle memory.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 05:56:09 »
I pulled the trigger on:

KBT Race /w Blue switches & Blue Leds

I also ordered:

KBT Race white key caps!

~~~~

I got this $15 learn-to-solder kit from Frys, and I'm going to attempt to build a flashing european siren!

~~~~

Offline silat

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 07:28:38 »

1) Leopold tenkeyless
2) CM ___fire

The Deck is a fine board but the Deck mentioned for $80 is from the parent company Tg3 and is not the same board. It has a ps2 cable and you cannot change it to USB. Also it can be had for $50.
The real deal is more like $150.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline xquisit

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 07:35:35 »
Thanks for the input, I'm glad I got a KBT product instead!

Offline xquisit

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 15:43:31 »
Quote from: ripster;548778
Congrats!

I HATE Geekhackers that barge into a Noobie thread with other keyboard suggestions AFTER they buy the keyboard.

Sent from my nifty iPad 3.

Give me an example of that? I just woke up, and I have trouble comprehending :)

Lol, so people really buy bad products and come into threads (with noobs like myself in them) and offer the crappy product, even after they purchase it and realize it sucks?

If so, I'm thankful you guys all kept it "real" with me. If it wasn't for this forum, and the great help of the community, I would've ended up spending $150 on herbs and stikcing with my rubber dome keyboard.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 20:21:10 »
Btw, I was hoping for a leather armwrest for the Race when it comes. Anyone got one to recommend? Or anything else, I don't mind if it's not leather.