Author Topic: Free Ghetto-rings  (Read 14105 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Free Ghetto-rings
« on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 04:09:52 »
Free O-rings for all.. Enjoy.....

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44409[/ATTACH]

Took about 40mins to cut them out.. 87 count for my Quickfire mx-blue.

For cheap bastards with lots of time...
Put those old keyboards to good use

These rings from my particular sheet are a bit harder than your standard rubber-band, so I guess-timate they're 30-35A durometer (hardness).

My rings measure 2mm thick, so when stretched around the keystem, they're in the 1.7-1.8mm range.

Which was exactly what i was looking for.

Some mushiness. but then I've always liked mushiness.

Offline limmy

Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 05:20:00 »
Great use of left-over silicone pad!

What is the purpose of the hemostat? Is it easy to cut small holes? What do you recommend for punching holes? I saw one post that use metal cap from a mechanical pencil and a hammer to punch holes, I thought that was clever.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 06:01:11 »
Quote from: limmy;547651
Great use of left-over silicone pad!

What is the purpose of the hemostat? Is it easy to cut small holes? What do you recommend for punching holes? I saw one post that use metal cap from a mechanical pencil and a hammer to punch holes, I thought that was clever.

Ahh,,, you are an observent feller'

I thought about punching holes, but it's not very easy, and the extra material left inside the holes cause the ring to be uneven...

THUS,, I used the hemostat to pull on some material in the middle of the ring, and used surgical scissors (same set), to cut a near perfect round hole in the middle. "single snip" right across the stretched portion.

I used the same method to extract the fat part of the ring from the attached dome material.....

Loving these rings.... Though I can't vouch for how long they'll last,,, but I can always make more dirt cheap... just find an old keyboard.

Offline shogrran

Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 20:52:28 »
What about just using a paper  puncher? Would that work?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline stingrae

Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 10:44:19 »
Quote from: shogrran;548338
What about just using a paper  puncher? Would that work?

I have just tried on a corner of an old rubber dome base (while not thick enough to be an o-ring) a paper-hole puncher fits a cherry mx key. I will post pictures if wanted but it shouldnt be necessary.

membrane keyboard is a bad material though
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2012, 10:57:48 by stingrae »
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 10:44:24 »
Can't really make out the picture. Is that a rubber dome board cut up?
I hate everything.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 13:09:36 »
seems like a lot of work when kaiserreich sells the clean new ones for $3 a set shipped.

am I understanding that you cut out each one with surgical scissors?

last, why is the rubber dome layer a bad material, other than softness?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline stingrae

Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 14:38:09 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;548976
seems like a lot of work when kaiserreich sells the clean new ones for $3 a set shipped.

That's exactly why its bad...I absolutely hate typing on most rubber dome keyboards (although the new dell one in the room I have to do research in doesn't feel too bad) they are so mushy. The last thing I want to do to my mechanicals is make them mush.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 00:30:07 »
Quote from: stingrae;549049
That's exactly why its bad...I absolutely hate typing on most rubber dome keyboards (although the new dell one in the room I have to do research in doesn't feel too bad) they are so mushy. The last thing I want to do to my mechanicals is make them mush.

I love the little mushiness..   I don't know if you guys jump-rope, but it's really bad for your joints to do it on concrete or even hard-wood, so they make these rubber matting.

The softer the landing the better.

Before you guys start,, Jump rope is intense cardio, and invaluable to many professional atheletes, it's equivalent to sprinting

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 00:33:16 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;548976

Well, yea it's more work than NO work.

And my ghett0-rings are very thick compared to the o-rings they usually sell

Also, I just looked up kaiserreich's o rings, they're thin, 50A, too hard, and Malaysia???  If you have that kind of patience, WOW.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 00:34:51 »
Quote from: stingrae;548852
I have just tried on a corner of an old rubber dome base (while not thick enough to be an o-ring) a paper-hole puncher fits a cherry mx key. I will post pictures if wanted but it shouldnt be necessary.

membrane keyboard is a bad material though

I am not cutting the corner flat parts......  I'm cutting the Tippy-top of the Dome which is already in a ring shape, and is 2mm thick. the hole in the center is not punched, it's snipped.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 09:25:11 »
I may give it a try.

But the kaiserreich rings work great, are very cheap, and arrived in 8 calendar days. I do recommend them.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 00:33:58 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;549635
I may give it a try.

But the kaiserreich rings work great, are very cheap, and arrived in 8 calendar days. I do recommend them.

8 days is more than TODAY

Offline AGmurdercore

Re: Free Ghetto-rings
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:37:27 »
Damn this ghetto o-ring mod is super good! Just made my first 10 rings and i love them. I recommend to every1 that doesn't like to spent money on thins that he can do himself to try this!
What the hell am I even doing

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:49:29 »
I wish I would have known about this right before I ordered a giant pile of O-rings from WASD. :)

It seems like every keyboard you rape for free O-rings would have a different squishiness level?

@AGmurdercore
How do ur ghetto O-rings compare in softness and thickness to 40a O-rings from WASD?

Do u sometimes cut one wrong?

If u mess up a single one then u hafta rape another dead keyboard, right?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:54:01 »
Sorry for the noob question, but how is this done?  Original image(s) from OP no longer available?
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:10:34 »
@TotalChaos i have made only 10 so far but they seem softer then the WASD o-ring (i have only the sampler kit but from what i saw i think that i like the blacks best (they are the hardest)) but if you feel like they are not silencing enough you can just put 2 but i dont really recommend this because you are really limiting the movement of the key. Also there is almost no problem if you don;t cut them perfect. As long as the ring is not cut and the O shape remains as s whole you wont have any problems!

@cytoSiN it is really suuuper easy to make but it takes kind of a lot of time. I cant really explain it but i will try to make a short video tomorrow or at least some pictures so just wait some time and i will do my best yo show you all how i am doing it ^^

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:16:12 »
@TotalChaos i have made only 10 so far but they seem softer then the WASD o-ring (i have only the sampler kit but from what i saw i think that i like the blacks best (they are the hardest)) but if you feel like they are not silencing enough you can just put 2 but i dont really recommend this because you are really limiting the movement of the key. Also there is almost no problem if you don;t cut them perfect. As long as the ring is not cut and the O shape remains as s whole you wont have any problems!

@cytoSiN it is really suuuper easy to make but it takes kind of a lot of time. I cant really explain it but i will try to make a short video tomorrow or at least some pictures so just wait some time and i will do my best yo show you all how i am doing it ^^

Awesome thanks.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:42:03 »
Yeah us nooblings need assistance.  Pix, vids, anything. Thanxx0rz

I tracked down sheets of soft 30a rubber at one point.

But I need a way to cut them into squares of identical size.

Then if I could punch a hole in them they could work as "Square O-rings"  :))

But the sheets cost $$$
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 11:24:36 »
I am sorry guys but today i wont be able to make pics/video because the camera is not with me, but tomorrow i promise there will be at least some ****ty photos if i am unable to make a ****ty quality video :D

Offline MokrySedeS

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 13:52:27 »

But the sheets cost $$$

Today I came up with the same idea but instead of rubber sheet I've used an old broken inner-tube from a bike I dug up in my garage :D
I don't know how that compares to o-rings but it works well enough for me :D And it's practically free! :D

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:04:36 »
How are you punching the holes though?  I get that I need a relatively thin rubber sheet, and punching out circles is easy enough, but how to make uniform holes?

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:51:58 »
You can use this tool that i have no f***ing idea how it is called in English :(

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:55:35 »
What's it called in your language?  translate.google.com ftw? :D

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:02:19 »
Using google translate i get the name grift for this tool. The Bulgarian name for this tool is "замба" if you want too translate it to another language :)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:08:27 »
Thanks AG.  Google translate gives me "drift" for "замба," but the tools in your pic are definitely NOT drift pins.  Anyone else know the name in English?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:28:48 »
Thanks AG.  Google translate gives me "drift" for "замба," but the tools in your pic are definitely NOT drift pins.  Anyone else know the name in English?
Wadding punch.

Offline MokrySedeS

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 18:43:24 »
I've used a leather punch tool. Setting it for the biggest hole worked like a charm, perfect size for keycap stems ;D

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 18:50:35 »

Offline MokrySedeS

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 18:54:07 »
Yes sir, just like this :)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:25:35 »
Eggsellent....now just need some rubber sheets...wait, that sounded bad...

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 04:54:02 »

But the sheets cost $$$

Today I came up with the same idea but instead of rubber sheet I've used an old broken inner-tube from a bike I dug up in my garage :D
I don't know how that compares to o-rings but it works well enough for me :D And it's practically free! :D

When using inner tube rubber, how did you cut out the O-ring?

Did u use the same tool to punch out the O-Ring as you did to punch the hole on the inside of the O-ring?

I wish we knew the durometer rating of a bike innertube.  For Keyboard Science.

Offline MokrySedeS

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 06:45:14 »
Scissors, man :D Cut into squares. Lookie here (sorry about poor quality).

+1, we need to find out somehow :D

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 07:14:36 »
Hey guys! I promised you a video about my way of making the o-rings so here it is. I hope you can see good enough but if you cant just ask me anything i will try to explain :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdiPXZGIjBM

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 08:11:49 »
Hey guys! I promised you a video about my way of making the o-rings so here it is. I hope you can see good enough but if you cant just ask me anything i will try to explain :D

Awesome.  Super easy like you said.  Thanks!!!

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 08:19:21 »
Scissors, man :D Cut into squares. Lookie here (sorry about poor quality).

Ok, u r saying that it doesn't need to be a perfect square or exactly some certain size because that won't affect the feeling at al?

I was thinking that if I did it with plain scissors that each square o-ring would be a little different and feel a bit different.  I am guessing now that it just doesn't matter.

This kinda makes me wish I hadn't just bought 4 sets of O-rings from WASD  ;D

+1, we need to find out somehow :D
Who has a spare Durometer laying around the house?   :D

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 08:31:33 »

That was the most useful youtube video I have ever seen!
Nice accent.  :)

This is awesome!  I have old borken rubberdome keyboards stashed in my closet!  I knew I was saving them for something.  Now I know what it was.  :D

Your ghetto O-rings were softer and thicker than the WASD ones, right?

Why didn't you use a hole-punch (like they use on sheets of paper)?

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 09:09:34 »

This is awesome!  I have old borken rubberdome keyboards stashed in my closet!  I knew I was saving them for something.  Now I know what it was.  :D

Ah thank you man i am really glad that there are people that find this useful ^^

Yes my ghetto o-rings are thicker and softer but they are much like the black wasd o-rings when you put them on the keys, at least for me it is really hard to find anything different in the feel. A lot of it depends on the rubber dome itself, because i have 2 other rubber dome keyboards that CAN NOT be used for o-rings because of the different size of the rubber base. One of them is way too small (on a low profile keyboard) and the other is alot bigger (on some super old keyboard that is maybe 20 years old lol :D)

And i did not use the hole-punch too because my father was not at home so i was unable to find his set of these "hole-punch" tools. But the way i showed in the video is ok too, but be careful because i have managed to f*ck up one already by cutting directly trough the whole o-ring with the knife while i was looking away for 1 second haha.

Offline MokrySedeS

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 09:56:34 »
Ok, u r saying that it doesn't need to be a perfect square or exactly some certain size because that won't affect the feeling at al?

I was thinking that if I did it with plain scissors that each square o-ring would be a little different and feel a bit different.  I am guessing now that it just doesn't matter.

Well, I can't say for sure because I did this on my friend's board with only couple of switches but I'll tell you that to me all of them felt pretty much the same (and I didn't bother to make them uniform).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:21:02 »

Ah thank you man i am really glad that there are people that find this useful ^^

Yes my ghetto o-rings are thicker and softer but they are much like the black wasd o-rings when you put them on the keys, at least for me it is really hard to find anything different in the feel. A lot of it depends on the rubber dome itself, because i have 2 other rubber dome keyboards that CAN NOT be used for o-rings because of the different size of the rubber base. One of them is way too small (on a low profile keyboard) and the other is alot bigger (on some super old keyboard that is maybe 20 years old lol :D)

And i did not use the hole-punch too because my father was not at home so i was unable to find his set of these "hole-punch" tools. But the way i showed in the video is ok too, but be careful because i have managed to f*ck up one already by cutting directly trough the whole o-ring with the knife while i was looking away for 1 second haha.

Thanks to AGmurdercore for keeping Ghetto Rings GHETTO... ;D  The rest of you made it more middle class with all your amazon hole punchers.

To make the CENTER HOLE easier, PULL the center nub out,, stretch it straight out, and cut straight across, MUCH FASTER, that was in my original method, DO NOT worry about making the hole perfectly round, it will make NO DIFFERENCE.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 11:32:45 »
Indeed as i said pin point precision is not need, as long as it has some kind of O shape and it fits the key cap it will be fine ^^

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 12:56:31 »
To make the CENTER HOLE easier, PULL the center nub out,, stretch it straight out, and cut straight across, MUCH FASTER, that was in my original method, DO NOT worry about making the hole perfectly round, it will make NO DIFFERENCE.

Lol I got tired of trying to cut in a circle so I resorted to this as well.  Confirmed works like a charm!  You think my office will want this dell keyboard back without the rubber domes?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 13:23:30 »

Lol I got tired of trying to cut in a circle so I resorted to this as well.  Confirmed works like a charm!  You think my office will want this dell keyboard back without the rubber domes?

Yes, they'll love it... less work for everyone...

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 December 2012, 09:19:27 »
Today i finally was able to put my ghetto o-rings on the keyboard and what can i say... i F*CKING LVOE IT. I started liking the god damn retarded blue switches thanks the the o-rings :D