Author Topic: Red Mx vs Brown Mx for Gaming  (Read 23855 times)

Offline Xzio

Red Mx vs Brown Mx for Gaming
« on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:46:10 »
I had a question regarding which would be the best for an mmo/fps gamer who also codes using the same keyboard.

I'm leaning toward Red as i hear they are best for gaming but are Brown any good for gamers?

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:48:20 »
Have you had the opportunity/privilidge of trying both switches?
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline Xzio

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:53:43 »
No never tried either but i've used black and it was stiff and i hear Red and Brown are better in general for gaming.

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:57:53 »
for gaming, there really is no major difference between the two because the tactile bump of the cherry mx browns won't be noticeable when ur mashing down on the keys. i say this because you will be bottoming out regardless of which switch you use. it is only when u switch over to non-gaming use that you will notice the difference.
Ducky Shine DK 9008S Red LED |Rosewill RK-9000BR

Offline Tony

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 02:59:14 »
Browns for RTS (Starcraft, Warcraft), reds for FPS (Doom, Halflife, CS)
Browns have the bumps which assure you of typing the right key, while red is good for tapping a certain key again and again.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Xzio

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 03:02:49 »
@Tony

What about MMOs like (Lotro or Swtor). I'm guessing they Reds because they are similar to fps's

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 03:17:57 »
I don't know your MMORPGs, but brown are good for high APM with pressing a lot of different key combinations, and red are good for repeatedly pressing the same fire/attack key.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 03:28:43 »
If you're going to code with the same board, I'd suggest browns. They're absolutely fine for mmo/fps gaming, but reds aren't really the best for coding/work, in my opinion. I found myself making many more mistakes and not typing as fast or fluidly on reds than on browns.

Just my $0.02

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 04:34:07 »
honestly, i game with both, either one is seriously fine.  one keyboard isn't going to make you better or anything... pick the one that you think feels nice imo.  personally i like browns for the best.  that's jus my opinion though.

(the only switch i can kinda see not being good for gaming is blues. )
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline xquisit

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 04:35:33 »
Quote from: nocturn4l3030;548692
honestly, i game with both, either one is seriously fine.  one keyboard isn't going to make you better or anything... pick the one that you think feels nice imo.  personally i like browns for the best.  that's jus my opinion though.

(the only switch i can kinda see not being good for gaming is blues. )

Mind sharing why you think blues are "kinda" bad for gaming, please?

I'm about to order my first mechanical in blue as we speak, and just would like to see your opinion.

Offline Sencha

• HHKB Pro
  • MX Reds <3
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 04:56:13 »
I only play FPS games but prefer reds. Purely because some times I'll slow press a key and I don't like the grainy feel of browns when they are slow pressed.

Offline hella

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 05:12:22 »
Honestly I think reds are terrible for FPS gaming.  If you're coming from a rubber dome chances are you'll have a ton of accidental keypresses.  

Ofc you'll eventually get used to it.  But in the case of reds vs browns, I'd choose browns.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 05:16:37 »
Quote from: hella;548701
Honestly I think reds are terrible for FPS gaming.  If you're coming from a rubber dome chances are you'll have a ton of accidental keypresses.  
Ofc you'll eventually get used to it.  But in the case of reds vs browns, I'd choose browns.

That's what I was worried about! So I'm ordering blues, because I've never tried browns.

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:32:41 »
Quote from: xquisit;548694
Mind sharing why you think blues are "kinda" bad for gaming, please?

I'm about to order my first mechanical in blue as we speak, and just would like to see your opinion.

I think you will be absolutely fine ordering blues, but coming from rubber dome it will take a bit of getting used to, just like any new keyboard really. I used a Das with blues for quite some time playing StarCraft 2, FPS [TF2, CounterStrike], and League of Legends. I love blues for gaming [and in general], but some people don't enjoy them as much. IMO Blues are the best jack-of-all-trades switch, good for almost anything! I'm still on the fence about reds for both typing and gaming, but I will give them a bit more time before I decide to sell or keep my board with reds.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 17:43:04 »
Silly question, there is no such thing. you will be pro Korean SC2 players play with blues. it all comes down to personal preference.
what you should is the following:
Go to Amazon, order two keyboard (same model), one Brown, one Red and try them out. thats the only way you'll know for sure.
My personal preference is Reds.
Have fun.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 19:50:35 »
Quote from: vurt;549184
I think you will be absolutely fine ordering blues, but coming from rubber dome it will take a bit of getting used to, just like any new keyboard really. I used a Das with blues for quite some time playing StarCraft 2, FPS [TF2, CounterStrike], and League of Legends. I love blues for gaming [and in general], but some people don't enjoy them as much. IMO Blues are the best jack-of-all-trades switch, good for almost anything! I'm still on the fence about reds for both typing and gaming, but I will give them a bit more time before I decide to sell or keep my board with reds.

I see you too are waiting for a blue switched race, and now I feel more comfortable with my decision.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 20:13:51 »
I like my reds for everything, but I am more like 80% gamer, 20% not work. I don't like browns, prefer blue for tactile switch. Browns are not good at being tactile, and just tactile enough to not be linear. They are a compromise switch in my opinion. My advice go for either red or blue depending if you want linear or tactile.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 01:21:48 »
They both suck donkey, period... Get blue..

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 01:39:46 »
reds by a mile

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 03:39:23 »
I found myself getting quite a bit of accidental keypresses on my reds, in the beginning, however, it has goten quite a bit better. I use my browns mainly, but occationally switch to my reds (mostly due to TKL vs. Fullsize), but I don't notice too much of a difference on the switches themselves.
All in all, there's not much of a difference between them, but reds feel a little more "smooth" than browns.
I like cats.