Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboard *without* narrow keys...?  (Read 6804 times)

Offline wild_quinine

Mechanical Keyboard *without* narrow keys...?
« on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:23:06 »
I bought a Razer BlackWidow recently. I've read around, and I'm well aware that people don't respect the quality. However, the price was good, and whilst I do play a lot of games I'm mostly interested in a typing keyboard, so the blues seemed like a good choice.

However I find it pretty much unusable. The keys seem so narrow to me. I'm assuming that they are more narrow than most keyboards, but hardly anyone seems to be complaining about that online. But this just has to go back. (Also I keep experiencing missed keystrokes - not sure if that's my technique with the blues or if there's a fault with the board).

The function keys down the left side also annoyed the heck out of me, but I reckon I could have got used to them... but those narrow keys just felt horrible to use.

So... can anyone recommend an *entry level* mechanical keyboard with blues (or browns), that doesn't have undersized keys?

Ideally it would NOT have a USB hub. They tend to confuse my KVM.

The QPAD MK-50 seems like a decent choice, anyone comment on the size of the keys?

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
Re: Mechanical Keyboard *without* narrow keys...?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:42:49 »
I found pretty much all cherry mx keyboards have pretty narrow keys... atleast more then rubber domes

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:46:49 »
Narrow? They are standard size....

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:46:53 »
the rosewill is worst I think. its like the purposely make them narrower to show off the red plate xD

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:49:37 »
What do you mean by "narrow"? The key spacing (centre to centre)? The degree to which the keycaps taper from bottom to top?

It would be news to me if the keys aren't 1× spacing, 19 mm centre to centre like every other full-sized keyboard, so I guess you're finding that they taper too much at the top. All the keyboards I have to hand, including a 1981 8-bit machine, have keycaps with a surface width of 12.0, 12.5 or 13.0 mm. What does the Blackwidow measure?

Or maybe you mean the spacing between the groups on the keyboard (alphanumeric, f keys, arrow cluster, numpad, etc)?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:52:57 »
I think he means the keycaps, not the spacing between the switches.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 15:57:14 »
I found pretty much all cherry mx keyboards have pretty narrow keys... atleast more then rubber domes
I think he means the keycaps, not the spacing between the switches.

I get the same measurements (19 mm centre to centre, 12/12.5/13 mm keycap surface width) for all my keyboards at home: Majestouch, TP3, random Type IV ALPS, Acer, BBC Micro, Packard Bell rubberdome (1994), Viglen rubberdome (~2008), Cherry rubberdome, Motorola StarMax keyboard, AppleDesign Keyboard.

The spacing and keycap surface width is standard. The profile of keycaps (slant angle and height) does differ more, though. The Blackwidow could be different though, but if it is, I imagine every other keyboard would be the same as you're expecting.
Bore Awards

Offline wild_quinine

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 16:21:46 »
Well, I'll be. I've measured all my keyboards. The spacing is 19mm centre-to-centre on every keyboard I own. Currently that's the Razer, an old Creative Wireless Media Keyboard of some description, and my Enermax Aurora.

The actual keycaps are 13mm on the Aurora, 12.5mm on the Creative, and 12mm on the Razer. So there is a difference in the width of the keycaps, and I can see the difference - the Razer keys 'look' narrow. But it's a small difference, and the centre of the keys are in the same place relatively speaking, so I find it hard to believe this would be the difference. Regardless, I find the feeling of the BlackWidow to be just... shudderingly awful. It's not the action... I like that... It's moving my fingers from key to key. It feels unnatural.

I'm wondering if it may be to do with how concave the caps are, in which case. They're much more ridged on the BlackWidow, which may be what is making my fingers feel like they're always in the gaps.

Could be my technique at fault. My finger-fu is not good... I touchtype, but my fingers roam the keyboard to some degree, as I've never learned to keep them on the home row.

At any rate, the keyboard feels horrid to me, so I don't think I can live with it. But thanks for helping to disabuse me of my initial notions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 16:55:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Although targeted at gamers, the Cherry MX blue key switches in the BlackWidow are not always regarded as the best switch for gaming.  The blues have a release point above the activation point, which means that quickly double-tapping can be problematic for some people.

A lot of people prefer reds or blacks for pure gaming, and browns for a mix of gaming and typing, with blues usually being recommended for just typing (and for those who like the clicky sound).

As they are standard MX switches, you could always get a set of custom key caps in almost any width and style you like, but with reports of less than optimal build quality on some BlackWidow keyboards you might be better getting an alternative keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 17:00:37 »
I am over 9000% sure that the OP is making things up. ;D

Offline wild_quinine

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 17:15:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
As they are standard MX switches, you could always get a set of custom key caps in almost any width and style you like, but with reports of less than optimal build quality on some BlackWidow keyboards you might be better getting an alternative keyboard.

Thanks rowdy,

There are a few reasons I don't like the BlackWidow, but nothing so insurmountable, other than the feel of it. But if I'm going to replace pretty much everything but the switches, I think you're right that it'd definitely be simpler to find a better choice.

Which bit? I might be wrong about the keys actually *being* narrow, but that's definitely how they felt to me. :)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 17:17:14 »
"ping"....

To OP: Just keep practicing. Typing is mostly muscle memory, give it a chance to adapt.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline skeaono

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 17:20:52 »
Check out the G80-3800, I'm not exactly sure but I think those flat profile keycaps have slightly wider top than most of standard profile keycaps. Again I'm not 100% sure.

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 18:19:00 »
"ping"....

To OP: Just keep practicing. Typing is mostly muscle memory, give it a chance to adapt.

^^ This.
Poker
QFR

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:46:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks rowdy,

There are a few reasons I don't like the BlackWidow, but nothing so insurmountable, other than the feel of it. But if I'm going to replace pretty much everything but the switches, I think you're right that it'd definitely be simpler to find a better choice.

Which bit? I might be wrong about the keys actually *being* narrow, but that's definitely how they felt to me. :)

So, your subconscious made it up. same deal e oh.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 00:25:20 »
I had a similar feeling when I bought my blackwidow. My typing speed and accuracy was atrocious at first. If this is your first mech keyboard, give it a little time, try practicing with some typing games for a while. Once you get used to it, it's a lot better! And don't listen too much about what other people say about the quality. I use my blackwidow on my secondary computer and I like it just fine! I won't knock it until I personally start having issues.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 03:12:02 »
Check out the G80-3800, I'm not exactly sure but I think those flat profile keycaps have slightly wider top than most of standard profile keycaps. Again I'm not 100% sure.

No, they're unusually narrow at 11.5 mm surface width.
Bore Awards

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 07:41:10 »
I have never owned several of the boards being discussed here, but I do like to have gaps between keys.

Using my reading glasses and metric scale, my Model F keys look to be 12mm-12.5mm (+6.5mm-7mm gap) (depending on what part of the curvature you consider to be the "edge" of the top) and I think that they would be considered quite "tall" compared to almost anything else. Somehow, I think this height, or depth, whatever you want to call it, makes the keys look well-separated. Not that looks affect feel, but they do contribute to the experience.

Clearly, I believe that these are the perfect keys in configuration, spacing, curvature, and everything else, but that is just my opinion. It is obvious that I need space, movement, force, and sound in order to have a satisfying experience.

My laptop keys, which are flat and low and 16mm across with only 3mm gaps, are very hard for me to type on. A couple of years ago, I was forced to use laptops exclusively for over 3 months, and it did not get significantly easier - I just got into the habit of typing a lot slower and watching my fingers more.

To speak directly to the OP: there are many configurations that are significantly different, and just because something does not feel "right" or "natural" immediately does not mean that it will not come to be desirable later. Give it at least a few hours, and, preferably, a couple of weeks. Then you can make a better decision.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 08:08:57 »
I had a similar feeling when I bought my blackwidow. My typing speed and accuracy was atrocious at first. If this is your first mech keyboard, give it a little time, try practicing with some typing games for a while. Once you get used to it, it's a lot better! And don't listen too much about what other people say about the quality. I use my blackwidow on my secondary computer and I like it just fine! I won't knock it until I personally start having issues.

So you says your typing speed wasn't atrocious "before" you bought the keyboard? ;D

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 09:46:54 »

So you says your typing speed wasn't atrocious "before" you bought the keyboard? ;D

Haha unless you consider ~70 WPM atrocious  :p I know I'm not the fastest, but thats about as fast as I can go and still be accurate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 11:29:02 »

Haha unless you consider ~70 WPM atrocious  :p I know I'm not the fastest, but thats about as fast as I can go and still be accurate.

We should honestly have a 100WPM qualifier for membership on Geekhack. This would weed out all the n00bs who may never reach our level of keyboard obsession.

Steady here at 130wpm

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 11:53:49 »

We should honestly have a 100WPM qualifier for membership on Geekhack. This would weed out all the n00bs who may never reach our level of keyboard obsession.

Steady here at 130wpm

Cool story?

Offline wild_quinine

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 19:08:35 »
Thanks to all for the feedback, it has been tremendously useful, and has helped me get over some misconceptions.

I hadn't expected to need any serious 'adjustment' time - that might sound naive, but I've moved between keyboards a lot and never had difficulty using any of them (apart from the *really* awful ones). Sure, I've liked some more than others, been able to type faster on some than others, and noticed quality differences here and there... but a decent keyboard has never rubbed me up the wrong way like that before.

I had hoped to get an entry level mechanical keyboard, and pick it up and run with it. But, I take on board the recommendation to give it a bit more time.

That said, what I feel like now is that if I'm going to be investing time, which is also valuable to me, then I may be as well to pay a little bit more and get a keyboard that's going to go the distance, and that I'll be satisfied with longer term. So I think I'll need to give this a bit more thought before deciding which direction to go in. But the advice has been gratefully received.

Also, the typeface on the BlackWidow. Seriously.

Steady here at 130wpm

I'm not sure that the ability to troll at 130wpm is to be celebrated.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 00:54:44 »

Steady here at 130wpm

I was going to post a protest to this here, but the OP beat me to it with a much better comeback than I could have managed. Bravo!

I would say that the biggest issue should be the size of the top of the keycap. Some people really like the larger finger surface area. I think a slightly smaller area is okay for spherical keycaps, though.

I would say that if this is an issue, never buy SP (Signature Plastics) keycaps, as the top is smaller on those.

I would recommend a CMstorm Quickfire Rapid in Reds (The new logoless ones look excellent!), with a beautiful new keycap set for it. I recommend dyesub PBT (in Dvorak, naturally: See my sig for order), but many have been happy with doubleshot keycaps from Cherry, or other places. I also like Cherry's lasered keycaps, and you should be able to get a sett of those pretty cheap.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 10:47:20 »

I know you realized that MX boards follow the general standard. But there are some with larger keys if you really want to go there...
I also find the keycaps on the Black Widow quite awful. They have an odd shape to them that I find very unpleasant. The board itself is so so. I would sell it personally, but if you don't want to take the time to get rid of it and select another board a new keycap set would do wonders.

Offline wild_quinine

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 11:40:52 »
Thanks, lysol. Your comments are appreciated.

Fitting a new keycap set would be more time consuming than returning the keyboard, I suspect. Plus then there'd be the warranty concerns. I don't mind getting entry level kit when it's under warranty, especially for a first foray like this, but if I planned to mod something right out of the box, it would be something that I expected to be more reliable, or even had the modding supported under warranty. :)

I think that I'll look for another keyboard. I'd prefer blue or brown switches, but I can't find anything entry level with a UK layout and brown switches, and the BlackWidow was about the only UK blue switch layout. So it looks like I'm rapidly heading towards a more expensive keyboard after all.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 11:52:26 »
Replaceing the keycaps takes maybe 10 minutes, maybe a little longer the first time. Though deciding on a set and waiting for them to arrive may take longer than returning it indeed.
You're right if you require it to be UK layout your choices are very slim for sure. I would really reccomend to consider US layout for better selection.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 13:20:56 »
The only "cheap" MX blue keyboards in UK layout seem to be the Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-0 / -2 (beige and black respectively) and the QPad MK-50. They Cherry keyboards are PCB mounted and they're bulky, but they're OK – my current work keyboard is the German version with clears.

Google Shopping would have you believe that the QPad MK-50 is MX red only, but the QPad website indicates that you can get red, blue, brown and black switches. The consensus here seems to be that the QPad/X-Armor keyboard isn't any good, but I've never seen any conclusive evidence as to why. Cherry keyboards are a lot more reputable, but having PCB mounted switches puts a lot of people off, and they're terribly ungainly. Definitely entry level though. They do limit you though: blue and black in UK layout, clears in German, and red only in US layout. Cannot be purchased with MX browns anywhere in the world, which truly sucks.
Bore Awards

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 15:18:06 »
Cherry still makes at least 1 non-pos model in browns the g80-1865lxn** Not sure about GB but I have seen it available at retail in EU/US and DE layouts as recently as last week.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2012, 15:20:59 by lysol »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 16:52:53 »
Thanks to all for the feedback, it has been tremendously useful, and has helped me get over some misconceptions.

I hadn't expected to need any serious 'adjustment' time - that might sound naive, but I've moved between keyboards a lot and never had difficulty using any of them (apart from the *really* awful ones). Sure, I've liked some more than others, been able to type faster on some than others, and noticed quality differences here and there... but a decent keyboard has never rubbed me up the wrong way like that before.

I had hoped to get an entry level mechanical keyboard, and pick it up and run with it. But, I take on board the recommendation to give it a bit more time.

That said, what I feel like now is that if I'm going to be investing time, which is also valuable to me, then I may be as well to pay a little bit more and get a keyboard that's going to go the distance, and that I'll be satisfied with longer term. So I think I'll need to give this a bit more thought before deciding which direction to go in. But the advice has been gratefully received.

Also, the typeface on the BlackWidow. Seriously.

Steady here at 130wpm

LOL, this shows how little you know about typing.

Very rarely is "actual content" generated at above 30wpm.

I couldn't troll you at 130 wpm even if I wanted to.

It's just impossible to think of things to write that quickly..

LOL, n00b

Offline wild_quinine

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 17:29:15 »

LOL, n00b

I'm aware that most people struggle to generate "actual content" with any speed, I just didn't think that's what you were doing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 19:26:54 »

LOL, n00b

I'm aware that most people struggle to generate "actual content" with any speed, I just didn't think that's what you were doing.

I'm not sure you're aware of anything but your own big head. ;D

To simplify things further for your challenged intellect, the typing prowess that's sought after has no practical usage. Ontop of that the keyboard also does not influence the maximum rate that is achieved.

Sean Wrona said so himself before he got sponsored by Das.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 22:10:18 »

LOL, n00b
I have, in the past, pecked out entire paragraphs, pages, and papers in one burst of frentic typing (So probably 60 WPM). don't most people talk faster than 30 WPM? I for sure can, especially when I'm pouring out information on a topic I know about. Last time I wrote a paper (4 page summary of some journal papers in Materials research) I (first read the papers, then) wrote up a quick outline of what I wanted to discuss and pecked them out without stopping. Then I formatted it in LaTeX, fixed all the typographical errors and turned it in for grading.

I can't type 130WPM yet, but I can for sure still generate content faster than I can type.
---
In response to your further comment "The typing prowess that's sought after has no practical usage", this is simply not true. Sometimes, when I'm searching for the "best" way to put a topic, It'll come to me (This is more frequently a problem in Philosophy classes than for Engineering) and I struggle to get it all down before I forget it. In this instance, having a faster typing speed would certainly help me. It's not as frequent as it used to be, but I have forgot the end of my "perfect sentence" by the time I got the first half typed up. This would be less of an issue if I could type faster.
---
Though as far as the speed of "actual content" generation, perhaps it's true that it frequently occurs slower than 30 WPM. For example, in a debate, you have all the time the other person is talking to come up with new phrases and arguments. When I write a paper, I spend some time considering my words, I come up with some content in the week (or day) before it's due, and then I type it all out, with some linking phrases to make it sound nice. It depends on one's methodology, but for me, at least, having a faster typing rate would indeed be helpful.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2012, 22:13:01 by dorkvader »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 22:18:24 »

LOL, n00b
I have, in the past, pecked out entire paragraphs, pages, and papers in one burst of frentic typing (So probably 60 WPM). don't most people talk faster than 30 WPM? I for sure can, especially when I'm pouring out information on a topic I know about. Last time I wrote a paper (4 page summary of some journal papers in Materials research) I (first read the papers, then) wrote up a quick outline of what I wanted to discuss and pecked them out without stopping. Then I formatted it in LaTeX, fixed all the typographical errors and turned it in for grading.

I can't type 130WPM yet, but I can for sure still generate content faster than I can type.
---
In response to your further comment "The typing prowess that's sought after has no practical usage", this is simply not true. Sometimes, when I'm searching for the "best" way to put a topic, It'll come to me (This is more frequently a problem in Philosophy classes than for Engineering) and I struggle to get it all down before I forget it. In this instance, having a faster typing speed would certainly help me. It's not as frequent as it used to be, but I have forgot the end of my "perfect sentence" by the time I got the first half typed up. This would be less of an issue if I could type faster.
---
Though as far as the speed of "actual content" generation, perhaps it's true that it frequently occurs slower than 30 WPM. For example, in a debate, you have all the time the other person is talking to come up with new phrases and arguments. When I write a paper, I spend some time considering my words, I come up with some content in the week (or day) before it's due, and then I type it all out, with some linking phrases to make it sound nice. It depends on one's methodology, but for me, at least, having a faster typing rate would indeed be helpful.

There is no way average would exceed 30wpm because then the most prolific writers would have billions of pages. The fact that they don't is a testament to the fact that where real world performance is concerned greater than 30wpm is not necessary.

that isn't to say it wouldn't be faster in certain instances...

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 23:59:10 »

LOL, n00b

---
---

There is no way average would exceed 30wpm because then the most prolific writers would have billions of pages. The fact that they don't is a testament to the fact that where real world performance is concerned greater than 30wpm is not necessary.

that isn't to say it wouldn't be faster in certain instances...

I think you're just making stuff up now  :p writers don't have "billions of pages" because they can't think of billions of pages of content.. It has nothing to do with the speed they're thinking it up. Hypothetically, I could think up a novel in a day or a year and you wouldn't have any way of knowing the difference. Similarly, you have no way of knowing if I typed the novel at 1000 WPM or 10.

I'm with dorkvader, oftentimes, especially when I'm writing essays, I'm generating sentences in my head much faster than I can type them. I usually type everything I can down as quickly as possible before I forget anything, but it doesn't always happen. Then I'll go back and look over it any correct any glaring grammatical errors and make it look nice.

Offline melcron

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 00:48:13 »

LOL, n00b

I find when writing scientific papers my typing speed can be a limiting factor (100 wpm). When describing/explaining well known information the stream of thoughts definitely exceeds anyone's typing speed.

Also, when writing I complete a thought and then type... finishing the thought more quickly allows me to move on to the next thought more quickly.

If I could only type 30 wpm in burst the paper would take exponentially longer to complete... so not sure where some people are getting these numbers/rational.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 00:50:57 by melcron »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 01:04:32 »
This thread is getting WAY off track...

Offline Saturn

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 04:34:08 »
Razer's not really known for their quality (or for having good customer service), but... narrow keys?  I can't say I've heard that criticism before.  I thought keycaps on cherry keyboards were pretty much standard as far as dimensions go.  It could be the concavity, though.  I've never used a BlackWidow so I'm not sure how concave the keycap surfaces are, but I can't imagine it's all THAT different from any other mechanical keyboard out there.

Maybe you just need some time to get used to the key switches and feel of the keycaps.  First time using a mechanical keyboard always requires a certain period of adjustment; the feel is completely different from any rubber dome.

If you're going to get a new keyboard, don't restrict yourself to "gaming" keyboards.  Gaming companies often (not always, but often) market their products as "gaming" products by focusing on gimmicky bull**** features that are meant to make the keyboard sell better rather than actually being better, and they trade off quality in the process.

Offline wild_quinine

Q-pad MK-80
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:56:58 »
A little recap and then a followup for those who might be interested.

I bought a Razer Black Widow when it was on sale because I've wanted a mechanical keyboard for a while, and thought that the Black Widow would be a good introductory model - less than half the price of some of the more respected makes.

I didn't like it. The keys felt wrong. Initially I thought that the issue was that the keys were 'narrow'. It felt that way, my fingers kept getting stuck in the gaps between keys and I kept hitting Caps Lock instead of the A key.

I thought maybe I had been spoiled by having a low profile keyboard with very wide keycaps, but I also knew that I'd never had such a problem with a keyboard in the past... and I've used also sorts of keyboards in my time.

A brief discussion here put me right: the keycaps and spacing are pretty much standard, so whatever the problem was, it wasn't likely to be that.

So I went back to the drawing board. Kept looking at prices. A lot of the cheaper mechanical keyboards are gaming boards, and they all seem to be using Red or Black switches these days, but I wanted Blues. I do love to game, but typing is more important to me.

Long story short, I picked up a Q-pad MK-80 when I spotted it on sale. Rumour has it that this is a clone of the iOne Xarmor board. A bit of research on geekhack suggests that it's not widely respected for build quality, but the price was decent and I figured it would probably be a good second bite at the cherry.

Well, I've had it for a fortnight now, and I love it. There was no 'adjustment time' required. It's a keyboard, and I was able to use it as one straight out of the box. I still don't know what the deal was with that Razer Black Widow, but something just wasn't right.

I'm typing as faster or faster than I ever have, and the feeling of doing so is more satisfying than ever. I particularly like the slightly rubberised, silky feeling of the keys. It's just an absolute pleasure to use. It's like firm velvet or something. The included wrist rest has the same coating, and it's just so comfortable to use.

So, having had a Razer that very nearly put me off mechanical keyboards altogether, I'm now on another 'entry level' board, but this one is superb. It has backlighting as well, which wasn't important to me in my decision, but it's a nice little bonus. I keep it off a lot of the time, though. :)

It's nice to have a little overhead to upgrade one day, if I feel the urge to do so. And if this board dies, I'm pretty confident that I'll replace it with another mechanical board, which was not something that I was entirely sure of, after the Razer.

But for now, I'm sold on this one.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:20:13 »
Awesome man! Congratz. Unfortunately, I can all but guarantee that you'll be buying at least another board, due to pure addiction.

When it comes time to step it up, I'd suggest going with a Filco. You can't beat the quality.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 01:17:59 »
Leave geekhack and never look back!! or you will end up with multiple keyboards!!
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 01:42:33 »
Or stick around and get trolled until you CAN type at 100wpm! 

Truth is, I'm a professional writer and I have no clue how fast i type. Very fast at times, quite slow at others. I too felt that the key tops were a little smallish when I switched from a Dell membrane to my old Model M a few weeks ago. I can relate, just not in time to save you. Peeps here can be hard on n00bs. Stick around, it's not a bad board to post on.

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 07:11:32 »
i think its the standard size. (oh well, my blackwiddow merely dies yesterday) . The connector part was broken. DAMN YOUU RAZERRRR .

but it is the cheapest mechanical keyboard i can find that time. (been using for a solid year now but its coming to an end).

gonna buy the quickfire rapid soon (TKL) .

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 09:14:12 »
Sorry I got on this too late otherwise I'd try to save you.  Personally I had the same feeling as OP.  I own a Das and Filco, and when I try the Blackwidow my fingers just felt more crammed together.

I didn't personally measure it but I suspect they probably made it a tiny bit narrower to fit the macro keys without extending the overall length too much.

I'll be going to a computer store later today and I'll try to measure the length and I'll let you guys know.  Meanwhile be nice to new people, he did his homework before posting here and in my book that's a pro move.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 09:46:30 »
^Doubtful, since people have put WASDkeyboard caps on them. I think the caps on all these boards feel narrower mainly due to top profile. On a flat top keycap, when you hit off center, your finger can still press down on the sides. Your finger kinda hang off the cap when you hit off center on the caps we normally use.