Author Topic: Help w mech keyboard  (Read 3636 times)

Offline spiralsc2

Help w mech keyboard
« on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:26:31 »
Ive sorta figured out what I want in terms of a mech keyboard now, but I dont know enough of the keyboards to know which is the board im looking for
Full size, Cherry blues, at least 8-key rollover (i usually dont hit higher than 8-key rollover on sc2), something that looks a little bit more... "generic"? i like the look of the Poker/Pure, but those arent fullsize ^^;;

Offline jeroplane

Re: Help w mech keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:32:56 »
Filco Majestouch 2 and Leopold Tactile Click (FC200R or FC500R) are two solid boards (the Filco more so than the Leopold) which have a very "generic" or "minimalist" look.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:34:43 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:35:49 »
^ those would do it. Noppoo TANK with MX Blue might also fit the description, if you have a slightly more old-fashioned idea of what looks "generic".
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2012, 20:39:37 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:38:08 »
quickfire rapid, as always, best board for the dollar EVER

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:53:12 »
He wants full size, though.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:54:49 »
He wants full size, though.

NO he doesn't,  WE.... know better. listen to wise geekhack.

Pro korean players use TKL.  :cool:

Offline spiralsc2

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 06:21:57 »
yeah... but i ordered a numpad w Terran Logo stretched over it... now i dont want to waste that do i? :P

Offline spiralsc2

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 06:23:07 »
plus im not only using it for gaming, schoolwork (excels) will be done on it too

Offline spiralsc2

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 06:30:48 »
Is the Filco worth the extra $60 over the leopold??

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 08:13:47 »
Is the Filco worth the extra $60 over the leopold??
[/quote

Hell fvck no... the leopold isn't even worth the extra $40 over the new label-less CMstorm quickfire..

As for the excel work that the op proclaims he'll be doing. Just bust out your old keyboard for that should the time comes.

Truth is, even thought you WILL be using excel, it doesn't mean you'll use it all that often.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 11:15:08 »
Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Brown switches was my first board and worth every penny, you really can't go wrong with that as your first.

Offline karljs

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 21:03:45 »
Coming from somebody who owns two of them, Filcos are wonderful, but don't expect to get $50 more keyboard than you will buying a Leopold or WASD or similar. Keyboards, like most things, come with diminishing returns as you approach the top of the line.

Offline scytheR

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 05:54:30 »
Sorry but i have a horror story for FILCO. Now i'm not saying you should entirely base it off myself and ruin the experience for yourself as many others will disagree with me and say that FILCO is a reputable brand, but a friend and I purchased FILCO majestouches (the first) a year ago from armygroup.tw and mine broke in a week (the s key). I sent it back for $45 AUD back to taiwan to claim warranty for its repair, came back and broke again in 3 days but the X key this time. Not having the income to support constant repairs, i scrapped it and took up my old crappy rubber dome Logitech K200. My friends was going well besides myself until 2 weeks ago when his backspace stopped working on one of his computers. It still works on other computers though.. Don't know why.

TL;DR  - My filco broke, my friends partially broke. I don't like Filco's much anymore.
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline stingrae

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 07:04:36 »
TL;DR  - My filco broke, my friends partially broke. I don't like Filco's much anymore.

It can happen with any cherry switch, at least they can be fixed. I would actually buy a soldering iron and do it if it happened...(edit: uhh it did but im lazy, well happened on my choc mini fn key grr...)

I'd get a WASD if requiring fullsized in the US...looks nice and is an ok price and has a good oem (the same as filco).
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline scytheR

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 08:14:01 »
sorry to hijack this thead.. but should i fix it or sell it as broken? if i have to buy a soldering kit, how much would i need to spend to get a decent kit :L
i feel as if i might only use the iron once to fix it though so i really dont want to spend tooo much ==;
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 09:09:48 »
sorry to hijack this thead.. but should i fix it or sell it as broken? if i have to buy a soldering kit, how much would i need to spend to get a decent kit :L
i feel as if i might only use the iron once to fix it though so i really dont want to spend tooo much ==;

IDK bout aus.. but in the USA, budget soldering kits are $4 dollars. Even comes with small tube of resin and solder. Thankyou China

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 10:17:31 »
Fixing it is definitely more fun than just selling it.

Offline scytheR

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 19:19:45 »
are random generic soldering kits on ebay from hong kong trustable? I'm scared it might die out on me in 3 minutes or so and i'll end up spending more than i plan to buying another set. Which one of the below two sound okay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30W-Electric-Welding-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Tool-Solder-Wire-Reel-Stand-AU-Adapter-/120967911086?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c2a3fd6ae

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANSAI-Professional-25W-Electric-Soldering-Iron-Stand-Solder-Roll-PE-25-/380452219389?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item5894b829fd

Or i might check in the local shopping centres and see if they have anything there

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 19:39:27 »
are random generic soldering kits on ebay from hong kong trustable? I'm scared it might die out on me in 3 minutes or so and i'll end up spending more than i plan to buying another set. Which one of the below two sound okay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30W-Electric-Welding-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Tool-Solder-Wire-Reel-Stand-AU-Adapter-/120967911086?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item1c2a3fd6ae

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANSAI-Professional-25W-Electric-Soldering-Iron-Stand-Solder-Roll-PE-25-/380452219389?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item5894b829fd

Or i might check in the local shopping centres and see if they have anything there

Yup. those are very similar to the $4 kits sold here in the USA.

Basically what you have to be careful is, those soldering wands have NO temperature control or Limiter... So they will just get Hotter and hotter..

If you leave one on for a few minutes the tip will already begin to degrade, turn black and start to "literally" disintegrate.

this doesn't really impact it's function, it will still be safe to use on the board. But since you're only fixing ONE switch. This shouldn't happen.

Make sure to also purchase SOLDER braid, or soldering wick.

This helps remove the solder that's already on the switch.

Depending on what type of solder is used on the Filco, you may have to wait for the soldering iron to get Super Hot. because the solder might have a high melting point

DO NOT touch the tip to the board for more than 4 seconds, because you risk melting something.

If the solder does not melt in that time, wait for the iron to get hotter.

Make sure to have the braid/wick ready to suck up the solder you want to remove.

Offline scytheR

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 20:32:57 »
Ooh okay thanks a lot for the quick guide :) hopefully I won't stuff it up

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 02:00:29 »
Personally I would not trust those eBay ones, I'd get something locally (although somewhat more expensive), like:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1620&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=953#1

Although "entry level". if looked after, it should last you a few years.

Or, if you wanted just the soldering iron:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TS1475&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=953#1

At least these would be approved for use in Australia (as in conforming to Australian safety standards etc.).

FWIW I have a stand-alone cheap soldering iron from DSE that gets pulled out once every few years.  It is on its third tip now, and just keeps going.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline scytheR

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 05:22:52 »
Ah thanks for your concern, unfortunately i already bought it so if i was to change my mind now it'd be too late. Hopefully i hope it'll last more than one soldering job, then i'm all good :) cause i don't really do much repair/electronic work.. haha