Author Topic: Damaged Cherry MX switch questions  (Read 3521 times)

Offline neuraxis

Damaged Cherry MX switch questions
« on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:15:17 »
I'm in need of your assistance, geekhackers

I was replacing the key caps on my CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX reds) and trying to pull out a zinc cap I had stubbornly placed on a switch that was a bad fit for it. Long story short, the switch's stem was pulled out along with the key cap, and I ended up having to remove the entire switch so I could get the stem back in its housing. Now the key is working, but pressing it no longer feels smooth like it's supposed to, and when I try to pull out the key cap again, the entire switch comes out.

I already ordered a replacement switch on eBay, but I don't know if it's genuine (or if that even matters)? Also, I don't know what exactly I damaged that was supposed to hold the switch in place so it doesn't come off easily, and whether or not it was soldered to the board. Any guidance as to how to get things back in order would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Damaged Cherry MX switch questions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:24:42 »
I'm in need of your assistance, geekhackers

I was replacing the key caps on my CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX reds) and trying to pull out a zinc cap I had stubbornly placed on a switch that was a bad fit for it. Long story short, the switch's stem was pulled out along with the key cap, and I ended up having to remove the entire switch so I could get the stem back in its housing. Now the key is working, but pressing it no longer feels smooth like it's supposed to, and when I try to pull out the key cap again, the entire switch comes out.

I already ordered a replacement switch on eBay, but I don't know if it's genuine (or if that even matters)? Also, I don't know what exactly I damaged that was supposed to hold the switch in place so it doesn't come off easily, and whether or not it was soldered to the board. Any guidance as to how to get things back in order would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Just hope you didn't rip out the traces on the mainboard. It's still fixable even if you did. But, reliability will be a problem down the road.

I don't think there are too many counterfeit cherry switches going around, because they're not expensive enough such that fakes would turn a profit.

check for the "cherry" logo on the housing, and compare it to the ones on your existing keyboard.  Counterfeits will usually have less precise workmanship and thus the logo will be more blurred and mis-molded, less sharp than the original.

But, as for whether it matters, YES, because they will FEEL different. and you don't want to be repairing your keyboard every month if it craps out..

If you broke the traces, it's OK, you may have to sand the board surface slightly to expose more copper, and then you need to manually connect the circuit with another wire...

SOME people just fix traces with SOLDER ONLY,,, this is ok on a motherboard where you don't touch or pound on.. This is NOT OK on a keyboard, because you'll be constantly striking it.

If you fix broken traces with solder only, then overtime it's too brittle and will crack, cause key chatter, or worse, short surrounding traces.

IF the traces break, reconnect using thin soft "insulated" wires.

If you pulled out the switch and the metal prongs on the bottom of the switch housing are missing, then that's good news because, that means the traces are intact and the prongs are left on the board.

If you Cracked the board, you'll need to reconnect EVERY severed trace with wires for the same brittle solder reason mentioned earlier.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:27:29 »
Also, post pictures of the board, and the switch top and bottom.

If you can take apart the board, and take pictures of the front and back, that would be best.

There are 4 plastic clips on the front, and 4 on the back, evenly spaced..

remove the single screw under the OK sticker, and use a plastic apparatus to pry open the front and back.. DO THE FRONT FIRST.....

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 21:04:52 »
You can just desolder the one switch you broke and replace it. Takes a bit of work to get the plate-holding clips depressed, but it's not too bad.

To take it apart, just poke a hole in the QC-OK (this will void your warranty) sticker, unscrew that and pry the case off. You can use a butterknife if you're careful (can scratch or dent) a Nylon stick (If you have one) or just pry it apart with your hands. After that, take out the board and desolder the switch. Pry it out, and replace.

Offline neuraxis

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 08:35:48 »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to take apart the keyboard just yet, as I didn't think anything on the board itself was damaged other than the soldering material used to bind the switch, and there is indeed a prong missing from the switch. As you can see, the plastic on the sides of the switch is fairly damaged now, so I'm assuming what held it in place is the combination of soldering material and the plastic clipping.

Soldering doesn't scare me, so based on your feedback replacing it shouldn't a problem. Just waiting for delivery now...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 10:06:08 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to take apart the keyboard just yet, as I didn't think anything on the board itself was damaged other than the soldering material used to bind the switch, and there is indeed a prong missing from the switch. As you can see, the plastic on the sides of the switch is fairly damaged now, so I'm assuming what held it in place is the combination of soldering material and the plastic clipping.

Soldering doesn't scare me, so based on your feedback replacing it shouldn't a problem. Just waiting for delivery now...

That switch looks totally fine, don't be a baby and just put that one back in. ;D

You made it seem so serious in your OP.

JK, you should use a new switch.. but yea the traces are probably intact.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 18:36:12 »
Make sure you get the prong that's stuck in the keyboard out before replacement :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 22:13:50 »
Make sure you get the prong that's stuck in the keyboard out before replacement :p

I would just hot-glue the switch he has now into place and call it a day. It looks absolutely fine.

Offline neuraxis

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 06:26:56 »
How do you know it looks fine? You haven't seen it on the inside. Like I said in the OP, it lost its Cherry MX Red smoothness—it feels jagged all the way through, and even has a "tactile bump" now (that's out of sync with the actuation point)—which I'm sure would be grounds for replacement for most people here. And given the low cost of a replacement switch, there's no reason not to.

@dorkvader: that is something I could actually forget, so thanks for reminding me.

Still waiting for delivery.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 13:26:44 »
TP4tissue mas joking: Don't actually do that.

Offline neuraxis

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 07:04:55 »
After receiving the replacement switch today, I've successfully installed it. As far as my eyes could tell it seemed identical to to other switches, but the key feels a tad different from the other ones in the same row (more friction, sharper clack noise), possibly because it's new and needs some time to burn-in.

As a sidenote, I've replaced my keycaps with a full PBT set and O-rings in that time, which immediately felt like a significant improvement in terms of feel, comfort, typing speed and noise reduction, so they both get my vote for anyone considering them.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and guidance.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 07:18:02 by neuraxis »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 08:49:31 »
To keep as similar a feel to the original switch as possible try replacing as little of the old switches you can.  Keep the old spring, stem, housing top...  I've gone so far as to swap the leaf contact, however the stem and spring are the most significant parts.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2012, 09:05:40 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 11:30:40 »
To keep as similar a feel to the original switch as possible try replacing as little of the old switchas you can.  Keep the old spring, stem, housing top...  I've gone so far as to swap the leaf contact, however the stem and spring are the most significant parts.

That's OCD righ dere'

Offline neuraxis

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 05:08:56 »
The stem and housing on the old switch are damaged—keeping them would defeat the purpose of replacing it. Besides, the new one is already placed and soldered in, and the key feels smooth enough so I'm not fussed.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 30 September 2012, 09:07:18 »
Yes, that's quite obvious from your pics.  as I said... 'try replacing as little of the old switchas you can'

Since this is a searchable forum I find that it's nice to provide lots of information on the topic so that anyone can have it when they need it.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens