Author Topic: Ducky Shine II  (Read 17257 times)

Offline Internauta

Ducky Shine II
« on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 19:15:32 »
Just bought mine from tiger imports/amazon, Got Blue LED with Cherry MX Blue...it's my first mechanical. I play video games and type quite a lot is my reasoning for blues, but I almost went for the reds. I tried pressing a few keys on a black widow in a local store and also some Thermaltake keyboard which I believed had blacks, I hated the blacks with a passion for some reason..I guess I like tactical feedback. I cant wait to make love, with my fingers, to my new keyboard.

Rants, comments?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine II
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 19:29:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A solid mid-range choice for a first keyboard :)

I have two of the original Ducky Shine (version 1), both with MX blues, although one has red and one has green backlighting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TreeKami

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 20:39:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A solid mid-range choice for a first keyboard :)

I have two of the original Ducky Shine (version 1), both with MX blues, although one has red and one has green backlighting.

I too just bought the Shine II (Browns and Green LED).

If the shine II is mid-range, what would you consider high-range? I've been lurking on plenty of websites and forums the past couple months learning about mech boards but I still don't know enough.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 21:02:03 »
I too just bought the Shine II (Browns and Green LED).

If the shine II is mid-range, what would you consider high-range? I've been lurking on plenty of websites and forums the past couple months learning about mech boards but I still don't know enough.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Topre?  HHKB?

We have a limited range of mechanical keyboards here in Australia (at least not without paying ridiculous shipping fees to get one from O/S) so I have limited experience of many different keyboards, but most people don't seem to mind the Ducky Shine.  But some prefer something a bit more exotic.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 22:07:03 »
There's no such thing as a high end keyboard..

Because for a keyboard to be highend, it would have to be Better than a regular keyboard in some way.

At this point, no keyboard is any better.

The choice, is only preference.

Can you type faster on an expensive keyboard? No... Primarily user dependent

Can you type more accurately? No... Primarily user dependent

Does the keyboard last longer? Yes, but not relative to their cost, when the mechanical keyboard costs $100, compared to the $5 rubber dome

...........Rubber dome, $5 ,, I can buy 20x of these.. Surely that will outlast 50 million keystrokes between all twenty of them.

So in conclusion, Buy whatever you believe is better.. that's all there is to it.

If you believe the ducky shine 2 is better than Neo Geo, then that it is.  :))

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 22:40:31 »
Welcome!

High end would be like Korean custom boards like KMAC. Maybe even a Typenow Solid. That one has an aluminum case.

Offline raisinbun

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 23:22:36 »
I would consider Deck high-end backlit keyboard simply due to the superior keycaps they use.

Offline TreeKami

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 15:37:27 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Got my ducky today and its amazing. I think I might take up playing with mechanical keyboards as my new hobby haha

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:39:59 »
I would consider Deck high-end backlit keyboard simply due to the superior keycaps they use.

Agreed. Since Topre are not making backlit boards. We can disqualify them for the lack of features. Wel... At least in this Ducky Shine thread :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Flare03

• "Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:25:21 »
hehehe, I also got my very first mechanical keyboard 3 days ago, it was a Ducky Shine II w/ white LEDS and Cherry brown switches.

It's fantastic , however....I actually find it slightly harder to play games with, for whatever reason (not that I play a lot of games anyway)
Maybe I just have to get used to it...

I'm not sure if this is too offtopic, but here is a set of pictures of the Ducky Shine II (that I took) http://imgur.com/a/9wnqT/layout/blog
Ooh, so this is what a signature is O_O

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:48:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If you are not used to a mechanical keyboard, then give yourself a couple of weeks for the novelty to wear off, then you'll be right.

Nice pictures :)  Now you've got me wondering whether to get blue backlit or white backlit next ...

Offline Internauta

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:53:43 »
I'll post some pictures of my Blue LED's with my blue desk set-up when I can  :) White is too...plain.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:45:39 »
White is too...plain.

But it's so much easier to change the color if you get bored of it :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:10:48 »
I imagine white LEDs would show the natural colour of (semi-)transparent key caps better.

Plus, white looks somehow cleaner.

Offline Flare03

• "Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 19:58:11 »
I'll post some pictures of my Blue LED's with my blue desk set-up when I can  :) White is too...plain.

Well, to me I think white feels more minimalistic and clean...somehow, and I imagine that whites look nicer when you have different coloured keycaps, like the red WASD that come with the Ducky Shine 2, but I don't know. I look forward to seeing your pictures, I'd especially like to see how the WASD keycaps look with blue leds.
Don't get me wrong, I like blue LEDS but it's really all just personal opinion.
Ooh, so this is what a signature is O_O

Offline Romp

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:32:53 »
Awesome I'm getting a Ducky Shine II as well (Red on Red) hopefully by friday.

I was contemplating on getting Rings, sounds kinda dumb but to may be protect the light? I know the light bulb is like right next to the switches, so if i slam really hard it may hit the light?

Regardless if that's true or not, I'm not sure what ring size to get
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Any help? feedback?
Rosewill RK-9000BR || Rosewill RR-9000RD || Ducky Shine II MX Red Led Red

Offline Romp

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:13:39 »
Does anyone know if you can use your PS/2 like from my rosewill on the ducky shine? or is it strictly USB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:34:16 »
O-rings are to reduce the noise when bottoming out - basically when you press the key all the way down it hits the switch housing, and this generates additional noise (over and above any clickiness the key has).  O-rings just sit between the underside of the key cap and the switch housing and bounce.

The LEDs are mounted quite low and should not be hit by teh key cap without O-rings.

My Ducky Shine (version 1) came with a USB to PS/2 adaptor allowing for use with either.  I understand that the YOTD did not include the adaptor.  No idea about the Shine II, however the Shine 1 product page explicitly lists USB & PS/2 compatability whereas the Shine 2 page does not mention PS/2 at all.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 14:01:35 »
I'm curious how the o-rings will affect the actual brightness... Considering putting some rings in my Shine 2 as well.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 14:07:36 »
O-rings are to reduce the noise when bottoming out - basically when you press the key all the way down it hits the switch housing, and this generates additional noise (over and above any clickiness the key has).  O-rings just sit between the underside of the key cap and the switch housing and bounce.

The LEDs are mounted quite low and should not be hit by teh key cap without O-rings.

My Ducky Shine (version 1) came with a USB to PS/2 adaptor allowing for use with either.  I understand that the YOTD did not include the adaptor.  No idea about the Shine II, however the Shine 1 product page explicitly lists USB & PS/2 compatability whereas the Shine 2 page does not mention PS/2 at all.

The Shine2 does not come with a PS2 adapter nor does it support PS2, I've tried it. It does, however, support NKRO over USB.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:08:19 »
Well I've got my board. I love the feel of the reds, but it's going to take some getting used to. Looking at the bottom of the key caps, the LED would shine right where the o-rings will go. That being said, I'm going to skip out on the o-rings for now.... It doesn't feel like they are needed ;)

Edit;
Well I installed Danco #36 o-rings from my local Home Depot. They are great. Improved sound and less travel distance. Pretty much everything I expected. By the way, they did not affect the LEDs at all.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2012, 00:28:35 by Flip »

Offline Romp

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:25:42 »
Got my Ducky Shine II Reds LED Red switches.
Tried to use my Rosewill PS2 to USB doesn't' work.
Also tried using my Rosewill USB (because I like the braided cord vs. Ducky's normal cord) doesn't work.

I did activate the NKRO using the dip switches.

1st con so far is that the larger keys have a strange stabilizers making the keys not really feel like red switches. It's actually noticeable, they are stiffer than normal keys.
Umm also disappointed I didn't get a key-chain :(

pic:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:36:11 »
Looks somewhat reminiscent of my Shine 1 with red LEDs.  Except mine only has the 1x key lit (xor 2x xor 3x xor 4x i.e. not all at the same time).

What key caps have you got on WASD?

Offline Romp

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:44:16 »
Looks somewhat reminiscent of my Shine 1 with red LEDs.  Except mine only has the 1x key lit (xor 2x xor 3x xor 4x i.e. not all at the same time).

What key caps have you got on WASD?

They keycaps on WASD came with the board, they are red with the clear lining for the led. Makes it really pop.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 21:47:27 »
Also tried using my Rosewill USB (because I like the braided cord vs. Ducky's normal cord) doesn't work.

1st con so far is that the larger keys have a strange stabilizers making the keys not really feel like red switches. It's actually noticeable, they are stiffer than normal keys.

Odd, I have red switch with white led version and the stabilizers feel perfectly fine, no change in stiffness just bottoming out feels different due to Cherry's stabilizer design (actually prefer it to Costar's since I try to avoid bottoming out any way).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 22:48:39 »
They keycaps on WASD came with the board, they are red with the clear lining for the led. Makes it really pop.

Hmmm I have red WASD keys, but they are sufficient thick as to block most of the light like the black keys do.  They do not glow as much as yours, unless yours are a bit thinner.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:04:35 by rowdy »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 22:59:53 »
Those look like clear caps.

Offline Romp

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:04:44 »
They pretty much look the same size / thickness, I did have the LEDS at the brightest lv.

Offline Romp

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:14:48 »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:15:42 »
Wow.  I'll have to try mine.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:23:31 »
The Ducky Shine with green LEDs here at work does not come anywhere close to the pic above in brightness - the red keys are slightly more transparent, but nowhere near glowing as above.  I will have to try the one at home with red LEDs again, but I don't seem to recall it being that bright.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:26:53 »
perhaps because the red key blocks the green light better

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 23:34:42 »
perhaps because the red key blocks the green light better

That's what I was thinking, hence I will try tonight with my Ducky Shine with red LEDs at home (although that has a red modifier set on it atm which does kinda glow, albeit nowhere near as well as this).

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 01:13:08 »

I do feel the difference in the stabilizers. I don't dislike it however... It seems to me they are just as easily pushed down and actuated. I wish my green LED board came with green WASD keys... the red ones kinda look dumb when I have my board lit up :/ so I prefer to run mine without them. I did however replace my spacebar with the one from my CM Storm Trigger removing the super-bright Ducky logo from the front. And I put the * mark from the Trigger where my escape key was :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 05:17:42 »
Ok, seems the green light is not as effective at making the key caps glow ...  But mine still don't seem to glow as well as the above ones, even with backlighting on full:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 02 October 2012, 06:53:08 »
Camera saturation.  That looks good!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 21:16:55 »
Well OP, having this DKS2 and the CM Storm keyboard I now know the difference in feeling between the Costar / Cherry stabilizers. Also I think this difference would never affect my judgement in whether or not to buy a keyboard. Also I'm waiting for my clear keycaps to come for my qwerty section, it's gonna look so dope with the reactive lighting mode ^_^

Offline Kuja

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 15:58:32 »
Does anyone have shine 2 with Yellow LED?

It's normal what some (~25 keys) have darker yellow LEDs than others?
Another yellow gradation color, a little bit darker than all other keys.

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 16:04:41 by Kuja »

Offline Carnage

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 17:17:47 »
I'm up there with you i hated the feel of MX blacks when i tried them. There heavy, hard and halfway through the road there's no nice little click then clack just a silent dud. While i personally prefer ALPS over all switches i must say these ducky shines are looking rather fine to me. Especially since i just recently built a new water cooled pc and it has a big deep blue glow around it a blue led ducky shine might look rather nice next to it indeed. Instead of my black and white checkered buckling springs board.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:51:38 »
I imagine white LEDs would show the natural colour of (semi-)transparent key caps better.

Plus, white looks somehow cleaner.

Yup. That's why I prefer white. Looks less "toyish/gamer bling" and more "pro". I commented on them in this thread.

I have WASD o-rings on my Ducky Shine 1 and can confirm they had no effect whatsoever on the brightness of the LED. However, they made the board feel like poop. I don't really use that board anymore though.

Ducky Shine 2 doesn't come in yellow. Only the Year of The Dragon edition. Shine 2 comes in white, red, blue, green, and purple.

Those look like clear caps.

I use these semi-transparent/smoke colored keycaps on my DK9087 Shine 2, on the WASD, Arrows, and ESC keys. It's a cool effect...I'll try to get some pics when I get back home.

On another note, I must be the only one on here doesn't really give a rats ass about Cherry vs Costar stabilizers. Different strokes.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 23:17:19 »

Ducky Shine 2 doesn't come in yellow. Only the Year of The Dragon edition. Shine 2 comes in white, red, blue, green, and purple.

Yes it does: http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9008_shine2.html

Offline sovano

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 14:49:13 »
Is there a way to remap the program shortcut keys on the top right of the keyboard? I don't find myself using the keys for a calculator, computer, or emailing really. Opening my home web browser? Sure. Although the other three are pretty useless and I'd rather have them open up applications I use more frequently.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:22:33 »
AFAIK - no.  At least I haven't heard of anyone doing so.

I use the calculator one occasionally at work, but at home on the Mac even the speed adjustment doesn't work, so it's just an extra light in the top right corner.

Offline sovano

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:38:29 »
It's not like Ducky had any drivers on the keyboard or that these keys are magically functioning like so. Hm I suppose I'll take a further look at this after work. I have a few ways so far that I've brainstormed on how to alter the functions of those keys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:51:38 by sovano »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:42:48 »
Yeah exactly (mine is Shine 1 btw).

When I first got it and connected it to the Mac, I tried all the function keys to see what was mapped to Expose etc.

Then I tried the plain calculator, web browser etc. keys, but they did nothing.

Then I tried adjusting the repeat rate with the four special keys, and it slowed right down.  Now I can't get the repeat rate back up, despite trying those 4 keys and fiddling with the Preferences settings (repeat speed is all the way up), rebooting, even unlpugging the keyboard for a while.

So annoying.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 16:58:40 »
Do a google search for Sharpkeys - freeware that should work on those keys. I can't get to my DKS2 right now cause I'm at work. I haven't had any motivation to try it either because... Well I can't think of anything more useful than the stock shortcuts. If people have suggestions, that would be interesting.

An update on my experiences so far regarding Costar VS Cherry stabilizers, now that I actually have experience with them. I think the only things that matter to concerned enthusiasts, is that Cherry stabilizers to me seem quieter, and more stiff and may require a bit more force to actuate. This does not affect my typing speed personally - I use excess force by habit with all the modifier keys when typing. FYI the boards I'm using to compare these stabilizers is DKS2 and the QFR both using Cherry Reds. (QFR uses Costar)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 17:31:52 »
Windows only bleah.

Offline sovano

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 23:38:21 »
Upon further research into changing these keys I'm starting to believe it is not possible. Sharpkeys indeed detects these non-standard additional keys, but they've actually been around for quite a while even in older keyboards like IBM. So Ducky had simply utilized an old feature that I've quite frankly never knew about until today. The application keys already have pre-defined scan codes that Windows recognizes, so therefore I don't think drivers were necessary as the OS finds the applications and executes them. Its rather unfortunate as I would have loved modifying those keys for applications I frequently use. However, I'll keep digging deeper into this.

As for the costar vs cherry stabilizers, I agree completely. As you can see I've owned three CM boards myself, and I do admit it takes a bit more force to press the spacebar. I'm quite indifferent to whether I have costar or cherry stabilizers.

Offline sovano

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 00:59:07 »
Well after an hour or two of prying further into this I finally managed to remap the keys to different applications using AutoHotkey.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:17:05 »

Yes it does: http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/DK9008_shine2.html

I stand corrected. I was going off mechanicalkeyboards.com, which appears to not be stocking yellow.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red