Author Topic: Ducky DK1087 issues...  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Ducky DK1087 issues...
« on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 08:07:53 »
I have had my Ducky DK1087 for about a month now, and in that time I have noticed it has been having some occasional connectivity issues...

Whenever I go to connect it to any Dell computer via USB cable, the keyboard will act oddly.  The LED indicators will flash on and off for about 2-4 seconds, and then... nothing.  No response to any keys I press.  The issue seems not to occur on any other type of computers, it only happens on Dells (both at school and at work) and I can get the board working if I plug and unplug it about 20 times.  Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my board, perhaps?  Any way I can make it not do this anymore?  I love this board and would greatly appreciate any help in finding a solution to this problem...
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2012, 09:14:30 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Ducky DK1087 issues...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 12:59:52 »
UPDATE: I also seem to have a slight issue with the Enter key; sometimes I will hit it and the keystroke will not register and I will have to hit it once or twice more to get it to register.  I'm assuming the two issues are unrelated, and that this issue could be fixed merely by replacing the switch.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:00:09 »
pssssh.. Just solder the cable direct. If it doesn't help, it's just $80, no biggie.

And honestly it looks like you have over 9000 keyboards, so, think of it as a chance to actually use some of the other ones.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:01:00 »
Could also be the PCB coming apart.

That's what happened to my 1008XM.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:01:50 »

Elaborate, COMING apart.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:18:27 »
I don't think the issue has anything to do with the cable.  As I said in the OP, it acts like this ONLY on Dell computers.  I plug it into my main rig without any issues at all, and it is 100% functional (save for the occasionally non-responsive Enter key).  I guess I'll just have to get my QuickFire Rapid back from my brother and use that as my travel board and leave this Ducky at home where it is happiest.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:34:00 »
I guess the board just needs more amps over the USB.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 19:55:19 »

Elaborate, COMING apart.
I believe he posted about the switches not being seated flush, and eventually they broke the pads on the PCB or something.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:38:26 »
Aye, between the slight gap in between the bottom of the switches and the PCB, and the fact that the plate is thin enough to be rather flexible, eventually the pads (and sometimes a bit of the traces that led to them) started to peel off of the PCB, causing loss of functionality. After a couple of months, I'd lost the use of Backspace entirely, and other keys were occasionally failing as well.

Though, if the problem with yours only occurs when it's plugged into Dells, it's probably a different problem.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 03:26:27 »
Aye, between the slight gap in between the bottom of the switches and the PCB, and the fact that the plate is thin enough to be rather flexible, eventually the pads (and sometimes a bit of the traces that led to them) started to peel off of the PCB, causing loss of functionality. After a couple of months, I'd lost the use of Backspace entirely, and other keys were occasionally failing as well.

Though, if the problem with yours only occurs when it's plugged into Dells, it's probably a different problem.

O.o   That sounds serious.. are you guys smashing your keyboards against the table? :))