Author Topic: New Matias Mech board: What switch??  (Read 2968 times)

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
New Matias Mech board: What switch??
« on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 09:16:21 »
Saw this on Engadget and it seems they're not using MX switches...?
http://matias.ca/quietpro/pc/
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline newtrekemotion

Re: New Matias Mech board: What switch??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 09:21:35 »
Edit: They posted a thread in this board about it. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35784.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2012, 09:24:44 by newtrekemotion »
In Mail: HHKB Pro 2
Current: Endura Pro
Past: Das Professional , KBT Race (White), CM QFR , Leopold TKL (Clear), Dell 101W (Black Alps)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 09:24:30 »
Check out the links below.  I'm holding out purchasing one until some forum members get a hold of them and post some reviews or a youtube video or two. 

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35784.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=32769.0
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 18:55:30 »
The sound quality in that video is horrible, and acoustics and microphones vary a lot – take any switch you know well and surprise yourself with how many videos that sound nothing like what you've experienced.

It's only meant to be the quietest mechanical board (where Edgar Matias discounts Topre, as do I), and rubberdome boards can themselves be pretty loud – the Dell KB1421 in particular has a very lound thunk.

Here are three videos of the AEK II – notice how they all sound totally different:

Quiet volume, very smeary and very mushy sound:

Medium volume, smeary sound:

Loud volume, sharp sound:

Here's another video, with the keycaps removed – the sliders alone are pretty sharp sounding even without the keycaps on.

Personally I'm happy so long as it's no louder than a Cherry brown (by loud, I mean perceptually: that includes spectral distribution) and has a decent force curve. The objective is for something with the kind of clean, sharp tactile force curve normally only achieved through the use of clicky switches, but without the loud office-unfriendly clicks that come with it.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 01:52:38 »
While I agree with OUR geekhack connotation of "Clicky", I think it was still a mistake on part of the OP for not asking the seller a question first.

Whether the Seller intentionally meant to mislead the buyers, "no one can say for sure"....

However, What is sure is that the OP was Rash and impulsive in his purchase.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 07:14:04 »
Just clicked purchased on the Quiet PRO PC. I had to have some sort of ALPS in my lineup :-)

Paypal + Opera failed
Paypal + IE Exploder worked (didn't seam to double invoice the opera attempt)

Stay tuned for the comments.

Man I hate my compulsive self!!!

A Canadian company that ships from the States to Canadian custumers? Hum... OK. Whatever works.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 September 2012, 07:19:28 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 16:51:06 »
I had no trouble ordering through Paypal+Opera. Odd.

Pretty excited for whenever it shows up, really. I simply cannot game with this Dell keyboard any longer.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 23:44:03 »

Just to add one more data point to the discussion, here is a review by one of the journalists who got an early unit...

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/digitalissues/computerpoweruser/CP____1209__/files/26.html

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 23:54:24 »

Just to add one more data point to the discussion, here is a review by one of the journalists who got an early unit...

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/digitalissues/computerpoweruser/CP____1209__/files/26.html

Would you mind to provide a test unit to one of our most well know members (with review expertise), in order to test write an impartial review. Maybe reaper will be willing to write a review, if he is available
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:06:44 »
Would you mind to provide a test unit to one of our most well know members (with review expertise), in order to test write an impartial review. Maybe reaper will be willing to write a review, if he is available

Yes, I can do that.

Perhaps one of the moderators can suggest someone?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:14:22 »

Yes, I can do that.

YES and please provide two (2) keyboards ......(1) Quiet Touch and (2) Normal Clicker.

That way we can all share in the difference that will be provided with your NEW products.  I would like to buy an all BLACK PC version (Quiet) and swap the keys for an all WHITE Clicker.  Hence getting the keyboard I really want (with non of the Apple Keys).

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:17:36 »

Yes, I can do that.

I am not moderator but these guys are very well know members reaper,litster, mrinterface, HaaTa. It will be nice if someone from the well know Deskthority forum will get a test unit as well, webwit is the man ;-)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:21:35 by cactux »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:36:15 »
I am not moderator but these guys are very well know members reaper,litster, mrinterface, HaaTa. It will be nice if someone from the well know Deskthority forum will get a test unit as well, webwit is the man ;-)

Actually, I've already spoken to mrinterface.  We're sending him one.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:37:53 »

Actually, I've already spoken to mrinterface.  We're sending him one.

Very good choice :-)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 00:43:16 »
YES and please provide two (2) keyboards ......(1) Quiet Touch and (2) Normal Clicker.

That way we can all share in the difference that will be provided with your NEW products.  I would like to buy an all BLACK PC version (Quiet) and swap the keys for an all WHITE Clicker.  Hence getting the keyboard I really want (with non of the Apple Keys).

We'd actually considered doing a Clicky Black PC version, but the interest seems to be more in the Quiet switch.

Either way, we'll be selling packs of both switches, so that should help somewhat for modders.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 08:29:19 »
While I agree with OUR geekhack connotation of "Clicky", I think it was still a mistake on part of the OP for not asking the seller a question first.

Whether the Seller intentionally meant to mislead the buyers, "no one can say for sure"....

However, What is sure is that the OP was Rash and impulsive in his purchase.
What the actual **** are you talking about?  I said I saw an article about it and wondered what switch it has.  Did you even READ the OP?
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
G80-11900.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:08:43 »
I think you got trolled :-)
Bore Awards

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:34:15 »
Seriously.  S/he acts like I already bought one without knowing anything... missing the whole point of my post, which is to find out what the new switch is / compares to.
*facepalm*

EDIT: Yay, 300th post.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 September 2012, 10:05:10 by JustCallMeCrash »
G80-11900.

Offline The Tick077

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 11:31:44 »
Seriously.  S/he acts like I already bought one without knowing anything... missing the whole point of my post, which is to find out what the new switch is / compares to.
*facepalm*

EDIT: Yay, 300th post.

I think the post was meant for the thread on the ebay listing a rubber dome board as "clicky" http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35820.0

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:43:59 »
Ah.  Good catch, Tick. 
G80-11900.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:49:25 »
OK I'll let toiletpaper4tissue off this time (seriously wtf does tp4tissue mean anyway? That's how I always read it.)
Bore Awards