Author Topic: where can I learn more?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline WatchMaker

where can I learn more?
« on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:52:08 »
Do you guys have any favorite articles or videos about keyboards?  I'n not even sure what questions to ask specifically since I'm a keyboard noob.  So far I've been reading through a few posts here  mostly using google to learn about ghosting, key jamming & mechanical switches.  I've watch some reviews on Topres & the different MX's.  I read a couple Wikipedia articles too.    Maybe a book recommendation on the history of this stuff would be appreciated.  -Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: where can I learn more?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:54:44 »
Check out what's on the GH Wiki. It's a WIP but there is some decent info there.
Also, the Deskthority wiki is a massive technical resource that has a lot of information on specific switches and tons of other subjects.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 01:11:15 »
I recommend just picking a topic (Ghosting, for example) and learning about it, then moving on to another one.

For example: Ghosting. Here's a good writeup I found once (with pictures!)
http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/one_html/

Specifically what ore you interested in? Comparing this to Audio: Some people are big into how things sound, where as others are big into empirical data. Reading reviews and testimonials will give you a wealth of information as to how things "feel" and what They're like, whereas reading force curves and design specifications will give you more "data" to work with. I fond both to be useful.

I really am interested it looking into the keyboard innards and the design choices the company made. When you start getting into higher reliability, it becomes more than just an issue of keyswitches and build quality: They even look into different ways of plate-mounting, and ways of connecting the plate to the case. Imagining what the engineers were thinking allows me to start to understand what sort of guidelines they follow, and what aspects of the design are most important. Then, I match these up to my personal preferences and make a decision about the keyboard.

One example: If you look at the DIY mounting plates for the Phantom and DOX keyboards, you'll notice they are flat. The mounting plates for most commercial keyboards have the very edges bent down to match the PCB. This lends the plate even more bending resistance. This doesn't play a huge role in use, but with so many good options, you have to draw you line somewhere. Given the additional cost, why do they bend the plate like this? Some keyboards have the plate connected to ground, and I have one that has the metal plate grounded on one side, and a mettal bottom plate on he case on the other, making almost a full faraday cage.

All this methodology and observations reflect my interest in engineering design, and how it applies to keyboards and manufacturing, it's my main interest, here (That, and then applying it to DIY). Others are more interested in tweaks and maximizing the feel of the keyboard. They'll take PCB vs. plate mounting, compare cherry vs. costar stabilizers, add O-rings, thick vs. thin keycaps, Lubricants, custom springs, stickers, etc. It's almost the oeneophile approach (Sharpening your senses to be very good at distinguishing minute differences).

I recommend you consider what you are interested in most (Or just pick something) then ask about something specific. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd gladly answer your questions.

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:13:32 »
If someone says they don't make'm like they used to and they're referring to movies they might be talking about the effort
that went into the story line.  If someone says they don't make'm like they used to and they're referring to cars they might
be talking about how easy they were to work on.  Now what I want to know is if someone says they don't make'm like they
used to
and they're referring to keyboards what are they talking about?

For example I'd like to read more about what people mean by the limitations of USB & the durability of mechanical keyboards.
There is a documentary I'll share with you guys below which goes into some of the ill-effects of mass production.
I want to learn about the ill-effects of mass production & how has it translated over to keyboards?
So far I understand that rubber dome isn't as accurate to type on and oily fingers causes the rubber to deteriorate.

What else is there?  Oh yeah & here's a youtube comment that kinda inspired me to learn more about these keyboards:
"It was 2007 only i was still at university, they must have made a deal with Dell; within halve a year later all old computers went into the garbage, including mechanical Keyboards. They weren't supposed to let us, but if you wanted some of the old stuff u could treat yourself with whatever u like. Unfortunately i never looked at the good old mechanicals' because i was just to dumb at the time."

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:22:18 »
Somebody should put my switch gifs in the Cherry MX section of the wiki. ; P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:57:43 »
If someone says they don't make'm like they used to and they're referring to movies they might be talking about the effort
that went into the story line.  If someone says they don't make'm like they used to and they're referring to cars they might
be talking about how easy they were to work on.  Now what I want to know is if someone says they don't make'm like they
used to
and they're referring to keyboards what are they talking about?

For example I'd like to read more about what people mean by the limitations of USB & the durability of mechanical keyboards.
There is a documentary I'll share with you guys below which goes into some of the ill-effects of mass production.
I want to learn about the ill-effects of mass production & how has it translated over to keyboards?
So far I understand that rubber dome isn't as accurate to type on and oily fingers causes the rubber to deteriorate.

What else is there?  Oh yeah & here's a youtube comment that kinda inspired me to learn more about these keyboards:
"It was 2007 only i was still at university, they must have made a deal with Dell; within halve a year later all old computers went into the garbage, including mechanical Keyboards. They weren't supposed to let us, but if you wanted some of the old stuff u could treat yourself with whatever u like. Unfortunately i never looked at the good old mechanicals' because i was just to dumb at the time."

WTF, sounds like you're doing a school assignment. LOL.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:07:12 »
Somebody should put my switch gifs in the Cherry MX section of the wiki. ; P
that's what i've been waiting for :D i'll add them asap
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:33:05 »
Did Lethal Squirrel tell you if he made a Topre and BS model too?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 01:22:38 »
Man, Squirrel made those gifs? You see them EVERYWHERE. Shame you didnt add any signature eh?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 01:41:41 »
Man, Squirrel made those gifs? You see them EVERYWHERE. Shame you didnt add any signature eh?

Wow, fo serious? Squirrel should be a super star.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:53:06 »
Here is the Deskthority wiki. The Geekhack wiki used to be bigger, but then it was removed and a new GH wiki project started.
🍉