Author Topic: get stuck on 65-70wpm, any tips to make it faster?  (Read 14223 times)

Offline Neo.X

get stuck on 65-70wpm, any tips to make it faster?
« on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 17:26:17 »
Hi.

Kind of frustrated here, that I got stuck on the 65-70wpm for couple monthes :(. Any typing tips to share?  ;) :)

ps, I am using brown, red and topre now, I actually type little bit faster on black. And blue is worst for me. 

Thanks
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: get stuck on 65-70wpm, any tips to make it faster?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:29:42 »
WPM speed is highly dependent on the content that you're typing.

For sensible text, such as day to day newspaper, one can achieve upwards of 160wpm, sean wrona, the only dude who does this on text that's UNPRACTICED.

Lets say you have a text full of words you have never read before. Then speed will drop dramatically no matter how fast "you think you are"

You see alotta flakes going around telling people they can type 140+ 160+.. what they mean is they can do that on something like type racer, where there is only a total of 30 different lines of text, of which they typed a million times for the past 3 years.

Pretty stupid and useless... :D

For general improvement to your typing speed, Don't use the wpm measurement as the goal, because it is not indicative of your capacity in "different situations"

I recommend 10 fastfingers for practicing the spacebar followup chain, because it follows almost every word.

And for trasncription speed, if you're REALLY into it, try out

http://patorjk.com/typing-speed-test/

in the settings, change it to SAT words. this way you won't be constantly typing words you know, thus your practice will be more varied.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:05:13 »
To get past that 60-70 WPM barrier, focus on maintaining accuracy in your keystrokes. You can be typing at 120 WPM but it'd be useless if every other letter was wrong. When you become more comfortable with both your keyboard and your accuracy, the speed will develop on its own, especially if you focus on your technique and practice everyday.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:15:26 »
Didn't Sean Wrona say getting higher speeds is all about "rolls" like how you type similar sequences of commonly grouped letters? Maybe try Colemak ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:41:48 »
Didn't Sean Wrona say getting higher speeds is all about "rolls" like how you type similar sequences of commonly grouped letters? Maybe try Colemak ;)

I don't recall where he's said that.

But when you're typing "fast" there are rolls...

For example, type POINT,,  notice the P, O, I, N on the right hand.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:43:00 »
To get past that 60-70 WPM barrier, focus on maintaining accuracy in your keystrokes. You can be typing at 120 WPM but it'd be useless if every other letter was wrong. When you become more comfortable with both your keyboard and your accuracy, the speed will develop on its own, especially if you focus on your technique and practice everyday.

Don't practice everyday. Research studies show that It takes less total practice time to reach a predetermined proficiency quota, if you spread out your training.

For example, you can practice 10 hours total and reach 30wpm all in 1 day.

OR you can practice 5 hours total, 2.5 hours a day, over 2 days, and reach 30wpm

this is exaggerated made up example, but learning models shows that staggered practice is "more" efficient.  ;D

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:44:29 »
A little history

"In the beginning stages of the typewriter, people typed so quickly, that they often jammed the keys as they flew up to hit the typewriter
ribbon. To prevent this, QWERTY was born to decrease typing efficiency and speed. This is why, rather than placing the most
commonly used letters in convenient, central, finger placements, they are instead found in awkward locations.  QWERTY layouts were
developed as a means to slow typists down."
http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?page_id=1329

So, here are two possible solutions depending on how adamant you are about time.  Switch to Dvorak, or maybe try autohotkey.  Its a free
app.  One example is you can set it to type out the word 'the' every time you press Alt+T.  When typing occasionally the shift modifier is
used to make CAPS but when do you make use of the Alt button outside of gaming & web browsing?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 20:49:40 »
A little history
Show Image

"In the beginning stages of the typewriter, people typed so quickly, that they often jammed the keys as they flew up to hit the typewriter
ribbon. To prevent this, QWERTY was born to decrease typing efficiency and speed. This is why, rather than placing the most
commonly used letters in convenient, central, finger placements, they are instead found in awkward locations.  QWERTY layouts were
developed as a means to slow typists down."
http://www.daskeyboard.com/blog/?page_id=1329

So, here are two possible solutions depending on how adamant you are about time.  Switch to Dvorak, or maybe try autohotkey.  Its a free
app.  One example is you can set it to type out the word 'the' every time you press Alt+T.  When typing occasionally the shift modifier is
used to make CAPS but when do you make use of the Alt button outside of gaming & web browsing?

No, there is some misconception in that.

People weren't actually typing much faster back then, than the people today..   The limit to typing speed on a single letter based keyboard is the PERSON, not the instrument.

In terms of type writers, that was in fact a bottleneck of the "instrument" because the little prongs would hit each other.

When they say decreased typing efficiency, what they mean't was, they seperated the common letters which often followed one another away from each other.

EVEN if this is less efficient, it doesn't carry any weight because ultimate performance on MODERN equipment is USER dependent.

You can change the key arrangements however you like, but it will not affect your "peak" performance.

Sean Wrona is the Fastest MOFO out there, and he uses QWERTY. He is even faster than that chick who set the record with dvorak.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:46:53 »
Sean Wrona is the Fastest MOFO out there, and he uses QWERTY. He is even faster than that chick who set the record with dvorak.
Hey, don't hate on Barbara Blackburn! She set that record on an IBM Selectric Typewriter, and I'd dearly love to convert mine to Dvorak like hers. (IBM apparently sold a Dvorak model for a short time, though they are really rare). Even Mr. Wrona gives her props. I believe she was probably limited by the speed of the typewriter (15 keystrokes/sec or thereabouts).

Also, I put the test into SAT word mode, and was still constantly typing words I know. That said, I really like the test, especially the results at the end.

I do, however, need to work on my typing. That's one reason I want to get a kinesis: To force me to type properly.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:52:36 »
Yea, you're right. Just 30 minutes of practice a day should be sufficient. Any more would be diminishing returns for most people.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:57:13 »
Hey, don't hate on Barbara Blackburn! She set that record on an IBM Selectric Typewriter, and I'd dearly love to convert mine to Dvorak like hers. (IBM apparently sold a Dvorak model for a short time, though they are really rare). Even Mr. Wrona gives her props. I believe she was probably limited by the speed of the typewriter (15 keystrokes/sec or thereabouts).

Also, I put the test into SAT word mode, and was still constantly typing words I know. That said, I really like the test, especially the results at the end.

I do, however, need to work on my typing. That's one reason I want to get a kinesis: To force me to type properly.

Yes, well I'm glad old farts like us know all our high-school words. ;D

However, I have no muscle memory of them in my spinal cord, because I've seldom used them in writing.

My only writing instructor ever, advised against using big words. According to him, it greatly reduces readability and emphasis of whatever you're writing. This is in part due to the fact that uncommon words can break the train of thought for most audiences.

He also said that if you ever had to write more than 500 words that isn't technical writing, You're probably BSing, LOL.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:57:59 »
Yea, you're right. Just 30 minutes of practice a day should be sufficient. Any more would be diminishing returns for most people.

not even bro, Sean Wrona recommends 30mins  3 times a week.

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 23:12:53 »
EVEN if this is less efficient, it doesn't carry any weight because ultimate performance on MODERN equipment is USER dependent.
The only misconception is your understanding of it.   Depending on if you're using MODERN equipment then performance is entirely USER dependent??  ...wtf did I just read??   If performance were entirely user dependent then you'd be the only one on this forum because discussing hardware would be a waste of time.  Judging from your other posts you seam like a troll. 

*Word of advice try not contradicting yourself next time you troll.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 01:13:04 »
The only misconception is your understanding of it.   Depending on if you're using MODERN equipment then performance is entirely USER dependent??  ...wtf did I just read??   If performance were entirely user dependent then you'd be the only one on this forum because discussing hardware would be a waste of time.  Judging from your other posts you seam like a troll. 

*Word of advice try not contradicting yourself next time you troll.

Eighh.. Well, I'll admit I'm not the best writer, but i don't see any contradictions.

I've learned from my numerous attempts at typing faster that difference between modern keyboards make no difference.

And my point in my previous post here, has been that regardless of equipment and how the layouts are designed, Ultimate speed is "user dependent"

Word of advice, "learn to read". ;D

Oh, and I'm sorry if you're dyslexic??  because there's no way anyone can get your interpretation from what I wrote.  :))

Offline scytheR

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 02:48:29 »
I'm roughly 110-120 wpm on 10fingers but what i noticed is that its a matter of reading ahead and touch typing. If you're more focused you will type faster. But also it comes with practice. back in primary school i used to spend roughly 3-5 hours a night on msn talking to friends. i use the computer on a regular basis compared to others who go out often and i'm cruising in this wpm range.
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 07:53:45 »
WOW, Thanks all for those helpful information. Special thanks to tp4tissue for that test site.  :D :D :D :D

All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 09:50:15 »
WOW, Thanks all for those helpful information. Special thanks to tp4tissue for that test site.  :D :D :D :D

welcome bro... that site is the only one I've found that is all no bull****..

sites like 10 fast, and typeracer, Lots of bull**** issues, full of repetitive text.

SAT words ftw.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 13:40:37 »
My WPM is cut in half, since the words are all like 10 letters each, lol.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 14:08:08 »
My WPM is cut in half, since the words are all like 10 letters each, lol.

Yup, because you have no muscle memories for those "rolls" even if you know the word.

I always think Sean Wrona's holdin' out on us, because he's always saying he has a special technique that's "hard to describe"

Yet I've watched his youtube video in slow motion, and he uses the exact fingering as all typical qwerty users.

Offline nar

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:03:29 »
When using that SAT test and using the keyboard finger configuration thing, I truely realized how weird my finger layout is compared to normal qwerty.

Though I think it makes sense in the context of being a programmer.

http://i.imgur.com/pqgGt.png
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS