Author Topic: OH NO BROKE MY TOPRE!  (Read 4291 times)

Offline scytheR

OH NO BROKE MY TOPRE!
« on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 02:43:13 »
April fools.. (not really) Nah so i didn't really break my topre but what happened was that i flinched with my cup of water and some water got in.. its like 50ml i'm guessing. Anyway so i unplugged my keyboard (i'm using my old crappy rubber membrane now) and i pulled off keycaps and i used toilet paper to clean up water left dripping.

Interestingly enough the water didn't go into the keyswitches at the edges around it (I don't think, unless it went in a really slow rate) and retained most of it. I cleaned up everything including a few stray hairs and dirt that got in over the last 2 weeks of use. Now no bashing over my stupidity please, but what should i do now? And in the future what should i have as an emergency backup plan incase this happens again? Yes Yes i know keep water away from my stuff but thats highly unlikely. I keep my cup usually on the other side of my mousepad but sometimes i just bring it over to my keyboard with old habit cause i had a logitech k200 which drains water in case u spill.

But what should i do in the future? Is tipping the keyboard upside a bad idea? *i heard its bad for mechanical but i don't know about topre*

Also tell me what i should do with my topre now, can i use it again or should i wait it out for a day?

Thanks in advance guys :)
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: OH NO BROKE MY TOPRE!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 03:06:00 »
I'm not an expert but this what I'd do

- unplug the keyboard right away
- do NOT remove the keys. the keycaps are a protection for the switches, if you remove them when the keyboard is still wet, water can easily spills inside the switches
- do NOT turn the keyboard upside down, you are just moving the water inside your keyboard and you don't want that
- use a hair drier at gentle speed/heat to dry out the keyboard as much as possible
- remove the keycaps one by one, hair drying carefully the switches (not all together)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:04:07 »
I'm not an expert but this what I'd do

- unplug the keyboard right away
- do NOT remove the keys. the keycaps are a protection for the switches, if you remove them when the keyboard is still wet, water can easily spills inside the switches
- do NOT turn the keyboard upside down, you are just moving the water inside your keyboard and you don't want that
- use a hair drier at gentle speed/heat to dry out the keyboard as much as possible
- remove the keycaps one by one, hair drying carefully the switches (not all together)

NONONONONONONONO..

DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER.. Even on the cool setting.. it's not good for the keyboard.. And it's not necessary in this case..

plastic warp.. stop... gahh.. omfg.

Best way to make sure the board's dry, is to take it apart. Because the water has electrolytes and minerals in it, it may form a mildly conductive residue, that could also affect the key feel, if it got between the switch housing.

Take it apart, it's not like you have a usable warranty on this thing anyway. mail it back to japan for 6 weeks? come the f on.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 10:07:28 »
Just leave the PCB, without the keycaps, out to dry for a few days. And yes... don't use a hairdryer unless you're using cool air to dry your keyboard.

Poor realforce :(
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline nar

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:00:07 »
Have you tried putting the keyboard in a large bag of rice? The rice will absorb pretty much all the water in the keyboard, better than any hair dryer or just plain old drying.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 11:15:46 »
No open container rule = never have to worry about it again.

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 12:38:37 »
Have you tried putting the keyboard in a large bag of rice? The rice will absorb pretty much all the water in the keyboard, better than any hair dryer or just plain old drying.
sounds funny,I may try it! Haha, my way is to just leave it to dry for weeks.
Btw, soda and water are different for cleaning since soda has sugar making keys stuck. U do need to wash it directly before drying it. It is weird: wash it to save it from spilling. But for drinks, u really do that:)
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline nar

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 15:30:32 »
Btw, soda and water are different for cleaning since soda has sugar making keys stuck. U do need to wash it directly before drying it. It is weird: wash it to save it from spilling. But for drinks, u really do that:)

Another thing to note, if your trying to wash out anything thats not water (and thus likely to leave something behind when it dries), its best to use the purest alcohol (99% Isopropyl Alcohol for example) or purest water (Distilled Water) you can get. Neither pure alcohol or pure water is damaging for electronics (in the short term, in the long term pure water is slightly corrosive and it has the tendency to become impure pretty quickly).
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:01:57 »

Another thing to note, if your trying to wash out anything thats not water (and thus likely to leave something behind when it dries), its best to use the purest alcohol (99% Isopropyl Alcohol for example) or purest water (Distilled Water) you can get. Neither pure alcohol or pure water is damaging for electronics (in the short term, in the long term pure water is slightly corrosive and it has the tendency to become impure pretty quickly).

Bah.. You don't "need" distilled water.. You don't even need deionized water.  Just use water or alcohol, it makes little to no difference what grade.

This is NOT biochem, exotic purification is NOT NECESSARY  :)), If you take a close look at most pcbs in keyboards, You'll notice that they usually don't even clean it that well. Why? because it is "unlikely" to affect its performance.

The reason I recommended taking the keyboard apart was because we don't know how well you cleaned your cup prior to drinking water, and there's also saliva and perhaps sugar left in there.

That stuff probably won't affect the electrical, but could make the keys feel sticky and unsmooth, hence the cleaning.

Offline kinruan

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 16:47:06 »

Bah.. You don't "need" distilled water.. You don't even need deionized water.  Just use water or alcohol, it makes little to no difference what grade.

This is NOT biochem, exotic purification is NOT NECESSARY  :)), If you take a close look at most pcbs in keyboards, You'll notice that they usually don't even clean it that well. Why? because it is "unlikely" to affect its performance.

The reason I recommended taking the keyboard apart was because we don't know how well you cleaned your cup prior to drinking water, and there's also saliva and perhaps sugar left in there.

That stuff probably won't affect the electrical, but could make the keys feel sticky and unsmooth, hence the cleaning.

agree with:) i used to wash one like washing my clothes. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 17:06:08 »

I've actually also washed a set of cherry key caps with Tide powder and an old tooth brush.

Offline kinruan

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 17:15:00 »

I've actually also washed a set of cherry key caps with Tide powder and an old tooth brush.
i throw keycaps in the washing machine. we are crazy :P

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 23:45:15 »
Since it's such an expensive keyboard, I wouldn't risk normal tap water (Just in case). Everyone should have 99% alcohol.

I have seen computers (Usually macbook pro's) that have been ruined with just a little bit of water. Be careful, and hopefully it will work out.

Ofcourse if it doesn't still work, sell your topre to me. I want one to try the switches and make fancy keychains out of (Seems like the thing to do)

Offline scytheR

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 02:52:08 »
Yeah i opened it up and assumed everything was fine. Don't think the water got in deep or at all. I'm not 100% positive but i'm using it again. everything feels the same.. (at least i think it does so far..) i went to the gym today so i don't know if the keys are harder to press but thanks everyone!

I left it to dry for approx 4 hours. Yes.. im very impatient. Couldn't stand how hard it was to press the bloody keys in on my rubber dome.
Topre 104UW XF01T0 white (default keycaps, soon to attack the market (and my wallet) | Filco Majestouch 104 mx brown FKB104M/EB

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 05:35:11 »
managed to save a laptop & a cell phone with this recipe.  had a couple friends say it helped them too

unplug it ASAP, don't try to use it, do not turn it on to see if it works,
if it has batteries take them out.   place the device out in the sunshine for an entire afternoon & it's good to go.
if it's night don't use a hair dryer, just wait until morning.
I live in sunny california so this works any time of year  won't work for you if you live in England or Seattle lol