Author Topic: Bought a Matias Silent - AMA  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Bought a Matias Silent - AMA
« on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 18:36:12 »
Whelp the title sort of says it all.  I bought the keyboard as soon as it became available.  It is a bit of a broad spectrum to just blurt out a whole review after only working with the keyboard for a whole day's worth of office typing.  I'd like to open up a thread for questions and I will be responding to everything as best I can.  Hopefully my experiences will match up with others if they are to comment.  One thing I will say about the keyboard is the reason they call it silent is because the keys basically make no sound when they spring back into ready position.  The rest of the keyboard sound is there but severely dampened.  It could get even more quiet if the keys had some sort of soft material on the underside of the keycap.  Then you wouldn't hear the keycap hit the switch casing.

Pics as attachments :-p
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Bought a Matias Silent - AMA
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 20:02:22 »
Whelp the title sort of says it all.  I bought the keyboard as soon as it became available.  It is a bit of a broad spectrum to just blurt out a whole review after only working with the keyboard for a whole day's worth of office typing.  I'd like to open up a thread for questions and I will be responding to everything as best I can.  Hopefully my experiences will match up with others if they are to comment.  One thing I will say about the keyboard is the reason they call it silent is because the keys basically make no sound when they spring back into ready position.  The rest of the keyboard sound is there but severely dampened.  It could get even more quiet if the keys had some sort of soft material on the underside of the keycap.  Then you wouldn't hear the keycap hit the switch casing.

Pics as attachments :-p

Ah ha,, I thought so, so they botched the silencing.... that video is correct.

Here comes the "bottom out" crew claiming that you're not suppose to bottom out....

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 20:07:41 »
Cool... I just received mine tonite.

I plan to make a full review once I spent enough time with it...

Welcome to the club :-)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 20:25:15 »
How's the plate that the switches are mounted on? Very thick and solid, or flexible? Do the keys wobble a lot, like XMs, or are they more stable?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 20:33:21 »
How's the plate that the switches are mounted on? Very thick and solid, or flexible? Do the keys wobble a lot, like XMs, or are they more stable?

I haven't opened mine. Not sure about the plate but the keyboard weight the same as my full size filco.
The keys are stable, next to no wobble. Btw I'm very sensitive to wobbling. I HATE it and no complains on that end what so ever.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:51:30 »
Can you try pressing as many keys as you can at once and tell me when yours stop recording keys.

Matias claims NKRO. Mine does 10-KRO
Do you get the same result?

Edit– I feel very bad, the first tests were made via a KVM that I totally forgot about.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2012, 17:18:59 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 22:49:48 »
Can you try pressing as many keys as you can at once and tell me when yours stop recording keys.

Matias claims NKRO.

It is most certainly not NKRO I can do about 10.  vb54k,ledw <-- example palming the keyboard.

The plate is extremely solid but the keys do wobble quite a bit.  This is due to the switch and cap mounting.  The switch itself is a tank.  In the first picture you get an idea of just how massive it is.  These key switches are pretty amazing.

The keys are still very quiet.  I just feel like they could be more silent if there were something for the underside of the keycap.  1mm of foam coating the underside of each key would make it pretty much dead silent.  The response I feel from the keys is very rewarding, but l continually notice the keycaps shifting under the weight of my fingers.  Another oddity is

^ for whatever reason my tab key continues to go berzerk... that huge break is my tab key continually scrolling out of the text-box.  After finding this out I pressed it a few times and for whatever reason it has subsided for now.  That started to happen after I was testing the NKRO. jasdkfl; 13254678 <-- another test with just eight fingers.  It does seem to work with up to 10.

::edit:: Keyboard feels broken with this tab key bullsh....
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 00:07:05 by Binge »

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 23:53:08 »
How is the LED integrated? Can you take a picture?

Also, they silenced the top-out noise? Very nice!!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 00:33:10 »
Indeed the top-out silence is the best feature of they key.  The whole sound is all low end -thack- if anything from the activation of the switch and key cap touching a part of the switch housing.

The LEDs are part of the switch.  If Matias intends to make these LED versions available as well as the regular keys I would love to see what people can cook up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 03:42:23 »
Quote from: tp4tissue
Ah ha,, I thought so, so they botched the silencing.... that video is correct.

Here comes the "bottom out" crew claiming that you're not suppose to bottom out....

don't feed the troll!

I honestly hope I am wrong, because I was gonna buy one. But that video posted in the original thread made it seem just as loud

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 08:48:45 »
That video was really crap quality, also.

From all I'm hearing, I think my order was a good choice. Maybe today will be the lucky day wherein meeba gets his Quiet Pro? :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 09:00:30 »
How are the keys stabilized? In typical ALPS fashion with a Costar-ish like stabilizer?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 09:34:51 »
The lit switches are identical to unlit switches according to Matias.  Without further explanation there's no way to know what style of LED is mounted under it.  I can't tell from the picture whether it's a standard 3mm LED or an SMT LED.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 09:50:55 »
Quote from: tp4tissue
I honestly hope I am wrong, because I was gonna buy one. But that video posted in the original thread made it seem just as loud

I should be picking mine up tonight or tomorrow.

My review will be brutally honest.  I held no punches when I reviewed the Tactile Pro 3 a while back (one of my least favorite keyboards.)

The only concern I have from the videos at this time is the space bar: I have some concerns it should be stiffer than it is.

Looking forward to it!  I'm not sure what you mean about the stiffness of the spacebar.  Most of the large keys with stabilizers are more quiet than the single space keys.  They make barely any sound while the single keys seem to have more presence.

How are the keys stabilized? In typical ALPS fashion with a Costar-ish like stabilizer?

Yes!  I will take some photos later when I get home.

The lit switches are identical to unlit switches according to Matias.  Without further explanation there's no way to know what style of LED is mounted under it.  I can't tell from the picture whether it's a standard 3mm LED or an SMT LED.

You would most certainly have to take the switch apart to get to the LEDs. Unfortunately I will not be taking apart the keyswitch as of yet.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 10:01:38 »
BS - what OS?  Any devices between your KB and computer?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 12:08:49 »
How is the LED integrated? Can you take a picture?

Does it answer your question?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline poco

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 17:58:01 »
How's the tactility of the switches? My husband's looking for a silent keyboard with a distinct tactile feeling.. might as well do some research for him.
Ducky 1087 - MX Black | Leopold tenkeyless - MX Brown

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 19:08:55 »
They are some of the most tactile and silent key-switches I have used.  The keyboard could be dampened further with a bit of work, but you KNOW when it actuates with inversely proportional noise :)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 19:47:23 »
I'm using some ergo clears with o-rings, do you have any experience with something like this? It feels considerably more tactile than browns to me but is still leaps and bounds more quiet than blues. I'm pretty much curious how this would stack up to my setup.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 19:53:22 »
You are killing me.... waiting for the UPS driver to deliver the goods...

Now you know how I feel, yet I lose most of the items I pay for.  Sucks to live where I am, the Nigerian-style Postal system at it's best.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:02:57 »
You are killing me.... waiting for the UPS driver to deliver the goods...

Now you know how I feel, yet I lose most of the items I pay for.  Sucks to live where I am, the Nigerian-style Postal system at it's best.

I ordered it Sunday, got it the following Tuesday. But last time I bought a didgeridoo, in took me months to get it :-)
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
Photos of Matias Quiet Switch on Diatec (Filco) website
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:19:00 »
FYI, Diatec (Filco) has posted photos of our Quiet Switch on their website -- so you have one less reason to take yours apart...

http://www.diatec.co.jp/products/det.php?prod_c=1292

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:25:14 »
^^ and for the lazy in us... The photo mentionned above.
4950-0

With quote from Diatec: "It feels amazing."
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:46:28 »
lol so how does this compare to their regular clicky version in terms of typing feel?

Also anyone know how's white laps vs mx blue?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:27:24 »
no clue about new matias

white alps are significantly quieter than mx blue

lol so how does this compare to their regular clicky version in terms of typing feel?

Also anyone know how's white laps vs mx blue?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:49:14 »
*sigh* About 24 hours now and no response from matias help about my tab issue.  It seems like I'll be high and dry until I have time to call during their business hours.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:47:00 »
My tab key's "broken switch" does not work like any broken switch I've ever experienced.  It's almost like a ghosting issue.  I do nothing related to the tab key and it just starts actuating :-/

Offline Will@Drop

• MD Co-Founder
    • Massdrop
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 00:56:57 »
Do you enjoy the ALPS more than other switches? If so, what makes you like them more than the competition?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 02:02:07 »
To my knowledge there are not key switches with this sort of action although I could be mistaken.  MX Brown and Blue switches have been my favorite keys of the MX family, and hoping to have more experience with different keys is a lot different than being able to feel them for hours while typing.  The Matias switches are ALPS based, but currently there is nothing which has the exact feel as these switches. 

Tactile and silent switches like the MX browns feel very different from these, and after extended hours of typing on the matias I have trouble feeling the tactility in browns.  I love how I can really tell how fast I'm typing.  The response is so instantaneous from the keys in terms of tactility and rebound that I'm left feeling the Rhythm while not necessarily hearing it above the din of the office.  This is more striking to me because it somewhat removes my mind from concerns beyond my hands. 

To really answer your question and save further ranting I do enjoy these switches a whole lot, and I would want them in different keyboard options.  Asking what makes me like them more than the competition is a great question, but I won't say liking them more for an aspect makes them a better switch or leaves me wanting these switches only.  The switches feel fantastic which makes it very easy to enjoy what I do most at the computer.  The weight of the switch I would want lighter by just the slightest, but other than that It travels well, actuates quickly, has a satisfying tactile feel, and the mechanism is very quiet.  In all would I pick ALPS over MX switches?  No.  Would I choose Matias designed ALP-type switches over certain MX switches?  Any day of the week.  These are top tier mechanisms, and everyone will eventually recognize that point without a doubt.  You'll feel the quality and even if you don't love it you won't be able to deny its presence as a competitively constructed switch.

::EDIT:: above rewritten.  apologies to the offended.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:57:55 by Binge »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:41:42 »
I'm usually pretty patient with posts here on GH, but damn Binge... paragraphs.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:59:14 »
I'm usually pretty patient with posts here on GH, but damn Binge... paragraphs.

When you're right you're right.  Thanks for being so patient with me so far.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 13:01:07 »
like mx better.........more variety

rotate back and forth like most others- flavor of the day :p

that would include BS and futaba's as well

Do you enjoy the ALPS more than other switches? If so, what makes you like them more than the competition?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 14:31:38 »
Tactile and silent switches like the MX browns feel very different from these, and after extended hours of typing on the matias I have trouble feeling the tactility in browns.  I love how I can really tell how fast I'm typing.  The response is so instantaneous from the keys in terms of tactility and rebound that I'm left feeling the Rhythm while not necessarily hearing it above the din of the office.  This is more striking to me because it somewhat removes my mind from concerns beyond my hands. 

To really answer your question and save further ranting I do enjoy these switches a whole lot, and I would want them in different keyboard options.  Asking what makes me like them more than the competition is a great question, but I won't say liking them more for an aspect makes them a better switch or leaves me wanting these switches only.  The switches feel fantastic which makes it very easy to enjoy what I do most at the computer.  The weight of the switch I would want lighter by just the slightest, but other than that It travels well, actuates quickly, has a satisfying tactile feel, and the mechanism is very quiet.  In all would I pick ALPS over MX switches?  No.  Would I choose Matias designed ALP-type switches over certain MX switches?  Any day of the week.  These are top tier mechanisms, and everyone will eventually recognize that point without a doubt.  You'll feel the quality and even if you don't love it you won't be able to deny its presence as a competitively constructed switch.
THIS it the type of review I was hoping to see, describing the qualities of the typing experience (and as a very good one overall). Thanks!

Now I know there is something I can really look forward to, instead of having to acquire a taste for Cherry switches.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:59:06 »
Just ordered mine! If it sounds & feels anything like the AEKII, I will be a happy camper. I would've preferred the Black/Silver model, but this will be used at work on PCs.
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline enhorning

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 17:18:43 »
Could the Matias Silent potentially be modded with o-rings to make it even more silent?  From what I understand, the switch is constructed to minimize the noise from the key springing back up... but not the noise from keys bottoming out - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:23:55 »
To really answer your question and save further ranting I do enjoy these switches a whole lot, and I would want them in different keyboard options.

Glad you like them.  We expect to have the switches available for purchase next month.  I think it's just a matter of time before other companies start using them.

BTW, were you able to get ahold of customer support?  We've been a little swamped recently with the product launch.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:25:32 »
Could the Matias Silent potentially be modded with o-rings to make it even more silent?  From what I understand, the switch is constructed to minimize the noise from the key springing back up... but not the noise from keys bottoming out - please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's nothing to stop you from doing that, but it shouldn't really be necessary, since the switches are already dampened internally.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:25:35 »

You are right sir.  If the underside of the keycap had a dampening then it would be ridiculously quiet.

To really answer your question and save further ranting I do enjoy these switches a whole lot, and I would want them in different keyboard options.

Glad you like them.  We expect to have the switches available for purchase next month.  I think it's just a matter of time before other companies start using them.

BTW, were you able to get ahold of customer support?  We've been a little swamped recently with the product launch.

I have not received any response from customer support. E-mail hit my box containing a great letter from your help-desk.  I appreciate the assistance!  It's aggravated me a bit considering the ghost-in-my-keyboard is hauntingly effective at tabing me out of programs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 19:09:58 by Binge »

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 19:56:36 »

There's nothing to stop you from doing that, but it shouldn't really be necessary, since the switches are already dampened internally.

I don't think the room for dampening improvements is at the bottom. But I'm pretty sure there something to do with the upper parts. My English limitation is giving me a hard time to explain. When you press the key, there is a tiny bit of loose/play/gap just before the switch's shaft starts moving down. This tiny gap allows plastic parts to hit each others when you tap on top of the keys.

Ah dammit... There is nothing like a plain old video to illustrate:
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:00:57 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:14:33 »
I don't think the room for dampening improvements is at the bottom. But I'm pretty sure there something to do with the upper parts. My English limitation is giving me a hard time to explain. When you press the key, there is a tiny bit of loose/play/gap just before the switch's shaft starts moving down. This tiny gap allows plastic parts to hit each others when you tap on top of the keys.

Yes, it's still mechanical, so there are still parts touching each other and rubbing together.  It's not totally silent, but it's not the gatling gun sound you get from some other mechanical keyboards.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:39:24 »
Yes, it's still mechanical, so there are still parts touching each other and rubbing together.  It's not totally silent, but it's not the gatling gun sound you get from some other mechanical keyboards.

Agreed - It is very "quiet" compared to other mechanical keyboards.

I was in the mindset of trying to take it to another level of quietness. You did couple years of research to come up with this product. The end result does not disappoint. I should rephrase. If there is room for dampening improvement, it is not at the bottom. You did a great job at covering bottoming noises.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:46:26 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:49:04 »
I was in the mindset of trying to take it to another level of quietness. You did couple years of research to come up with this product. The end result does not disappoint. I should rephrase. If there is room for dampening improvement, it is not at the bottom. You did a great job at covering bottoming noises.

Well, you can certainly try the O-rings.  It won't make it any noisier.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:30:39 »
I would think o-rings insufficient.  The entire underside of the key with a 2mm soft soft material would make a difference.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:39:38 »
It's not totally silent, but it's not the gatling gun sound you get from some other mechanical keyboards.

C'mon, what's the matter with the "Gatling" gun?

I love that sound, if you could mimic that with your keyboards I'll empty my whole account for them.  Please don't think that most people hate noisy keyboards, because they plainly do not.

If you want quiet, why not stick with Logitech hardware?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:41:40 by Elrick »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:54:33 »
It's not totally silent, but it's not the gatling gun sound you get from some other mechanical keyboards.

C'mon, what's the matter with the "Gatling" gun?

I love that sound, if you could mimic that with your keyboards I'll empty my whole account for them.

Hopefully Cherry is listening.  :-)

Please don't think that most people hate noisy keyboards, because they plainly do not.

Well, we do make one of the louder ones too...

http://tactilepro.com

If you want quiet, why not stick with Logitech hardware?

Lots and lots of reasons, but I'm sure others are happy to debate you on it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:07:48 »

If you can provide a PC version keyboard that would be greatly appreciated. Can't stand Apple iconography on the keys.  According to the Kagi ordering page, even the Apple version is not ready yet.  Can you give a rough estimate of when they will be available?

When the PC version is ready then it's spending time.....
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:11:01 by Elrick »

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:17:47 »

If you can provide a PC version keyboard that would be greatly appreciated. Can't stand Apple iconography on the keys.  According to the Kagi ordering page, even the Apple version is not ready yet.

When the PC version is ready then it's spending time.....

There's actually a very good chance you'll see a PC version, once we get more PC resellers signed on.  Right now, our sales channels for PC are very limited.  Most of our PC sales are direct, which is not enough to justify a PC Tactile Pro.

The new switch has generated a lot of buzz, and we've already had a number of PC distributors contact us to sign on.  Once we get enough signed up, it will make it much easier to release more products for PC.

If any of you have PC resellers that you buy mechanical keyboards from, feel free to pester them to carry the Quiet Pro.  :-)  If this happens, a PC Tactile Pro is inevitable.