Author Topic: Help Me Choose My First Mech Keyboard  (Read 1977 times)

Offline curb

Help Me Choose My First Mech Keyboard
« on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 19:35:34 »
Hey guys, I have a serious itch to get into mechanical keyboards to the point where I seriously have a hard time sleeping from thinking about it too much. Can you help point me to the right direction based on my criteria?

- 100% for typing
- Budget is $120, least is better
- Compact like the choc mini
- Tactile

Preferred
- Clicky
- Least amount of force
- No backlighting
- Tenkeyless
- Least amount of key travel (used scissors all my life & don't mind adding o-rings)

The only one I can think of is the ducky 1087 green alps and choc mini with blue switches. Out of the two, it looks like the ducky has a better fit because of the force and key travel but the build quality is questionable.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Help Me Choose My First Mech Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:07:12 »
ah.. filco tkl, or the quickfire "rapid"

best 2 choices.

both boards are identical except for branding.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:32:25 »
There is a Filco browns 104 key (full-size) that just popped up in the classifieds that you could probably call dibs on. I think it was $100 plus shipping"

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:38:50 »
The CM Storm with MX Blues is a nice choice for $60, Leoplod from EK in any switch type for $99+Ship

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline FJ_Sanchez

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 05:23:31 »
Hi,

I'm also looking for a keyboard. It will be my first mechanical keyboard (I think I've used it in the past, just not sure about it). For me important things are:

- ISO keyboard, so 105 keys or 88
- Not more than 100$
- Spanish layout if possible

About the switches, I think I'll go for reds but not sure about this... I'll use this for games and typing. Mostly I use the keyboard for games and applications where I've to use lots of shortcuts. Of course it's a keyboard and I'll have to type with it code, mails, documentation, etc. In this aspect, maybe browns are better, but I've read that they feel like a red with sand inside... I don't know if this is good.

About aspect, I like the Quick Fire Rapid, but I didn't find it in ISO layout. TT Meka also looks nice to me, same for CM Storm QuickFire Pro. Daskeyboard also looks cool to me.

Any recommendation for me?
Starting in the mecha path...
Main keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (ISO layout with Spanish legend)
Other keyboards: KBC Poker MX Red

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:52:12 »
They make the rapid in ISO layouts. Someone recently got a spanish one in reds by mistake.

I don't know the 2-letter code for Spanish, but the PN for the USA version is: sgk-4000-gkcr1-US

Offline FJ_Sanchez

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 10:54:11 »
They make the rapid in ISO layouts. Someone recently got a spanish one in reds by mistake.

I don't know the 2-letter code for Spanish, but the PN for the USA version is: sgk-4000-gkcr1-US

Yeah, I've found this guy in the forum: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35226.msg669413#msg669413

Where can I get this? It's really cool! Even better if it would be with reds (I supousse) ;)
Starting in the mecha path...
Main keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (ISO layout with Spanish legend)
Other keyboards: KBC Poker MX Red

Offline curb

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:14:47 »
thanks, I'll pick up the quickfire and see how it goes.

Offline neeb

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:52:42 »
thanks, I'll pick up the quickfire and see how it goes.

Let us know man, and congrats on taking the next step toward your first "real" keyboard :D!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 11:41:50 »
If you really like that small form factor like the choc, there is the keycool 84.  You can see it at qtan's store.

Offline curb

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 October 2012, 13:53:17 »
I was on the final page of ordering the quickfire until a friend told me about his ducky 1087 with green alps. I LOVE THIS THING! It's like a lap dance for my fingers. I haven't tried the blues yet but the force on the green alps are very light. The only thing that bothers me a little is the sound that the space bar makes. The sound when typing are synchronized but it gets thrown off when I press the space bar. Making my thrown off a little bit.

I'm going to put my quickfire and choc mini on hold for now.

Thanks again guys =D