Author Topic: Washed and dried my keyboard after an accident, keys still sticky. Help?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline sondr3

So I stupidly decided to drink some cider while playing Dota2 and managed to spill some. Not a lot really, it was merely a splash on the right side of my Filco Tenkeyless Majestouch and decided that I should wash it with some water. I took my keyboard apart and carefully washed around where I spilled the cider and let it dry besides a small warm heater we have for two days in a really dry area of our house. Put it together and everything is working very well.

However, most of the keys on my right side of the keyboard are noticeably sticky. They don't pop. It's hard to describe, but when I push keys on the left they instantly push down and up and makes that clack sound. The ones on the right however doesn't just pop down, they are pushed down and then slowly rise up (near instantly, but enough to notice that they are sticky). Is there anything I've done wrong or something that I can do to fix it? It's really annoying because it doesn't feel very responsive writing on it anymore. It doesn't pop. It just moves up and down slowly.

Should I was it again? With soap maybe to clean out the keypads? Or get a 91% alcohol solution for electronic components? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Washed and dried my keyboard after an accident, keys still sticky. Help?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 20:40:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sorry that your first post is to report a disaster.

Sounds like some liquid has gotten into the switches - you may need to disassembel and clean, or replace, the affected switches.

I dripped a tiny amount of coffee accidentally into some MX blue switches and they exhibited the same behaviour as yours.  I repeatedly mashed the keys, on and off, for about a week and they have all come good now.  I think I was lucky.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:04:01 »
So I stupidly decided to drink some cider while playing Dota2 and managed to spill some. Not a lot really, it was merely a splash on the right side of my Filco Tenkeyless Majestouch and decided that I should wash it with some water. I took my keyboard apart and carefully washed around where I spilled the cider and let it dry besides a small warm heater we have for two days in a really dry area of our house. Put it together and everything is working very well.

However, most of the keys on my right side of the keyboard are noticeably sticky. They don't pop. It's hard to describe, but when I push keys on the left they instantly push down and up and makes that clack sound. The ones on the right however doesn't just pop down, they are pushed down and then slowly rise up (near instantly, but enough to notice that they are sticky). Is there anything I've done wrong or something that I can do to fix it? It's really annoying because it doesn't feel very responsive writing on it anymore. It doesn't pop. It just moves up and down slowly.

Should I was it again? With soap maybe to clean out the keypads? Or get a 91% alcohol solution for electronic components? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

sigh.....

fraid rowdy iz right. You gotta replace those switches.

Filco is plate mounted, so you can't just open the switches for them to dry.

Even if they do dry, you'd still have to redo the lube.

So you might as well replace the switches since you gotta desolder them to lube them anyway.

I would just sell the keyboard as is, recover cost, and buy a new one, considering all the work involved :)). LOL

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:27:45 »
Yep Yep, same as those guys said. It's really not too hard to desolder the switches and solder them back in though. I'm sure somebody here would be willing to help you out if you can't do it yourself.